• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, with LV's run to the Cup Final last season, they are pretty much in a "win now" situation, which sounds weird when talking about a 2nd year team, but they upgraded from Tatar to Pacioretty, and felt the could afford to sell off Suzuki.

Heck, if they are in a win now spot, I'll send them Daley for, hmmmm, I dunno, Hague! :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!

But heck, they still haven't signed Theodore...wonder if they want a "win now" player for him? I'd send them Daley and Nyquist!

If Holland was able to pull off Daley and Nyquist for Theodore, I'd extend Holland to a life-time contract!

I wasn't aware of this... I'd give up a significant package for Theodore. Certainly more than Daley and Nyquist...

31 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Looking at this trade alone, it doesn't look too bad from Vegas' perspective, but the whole Tatar situation (Holland fleecing McPhee) just makes it look awful. They massively overpaid for a player, and then without giving him much of an opportunity, shipped him out (retaining $500K), along with a prospect and pick, for a player that will essentially replace James Neal...

Yeah but if you're looking big picture you'd have to look at all the assets McPhee was able to squeeze out of other GMs during the expansion draft. In which case, I think he can afford to burn through a few less than optimal trades if he's making the team better right now (which he, for sure, has). 

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I wasn't aware of this... I'd give up a significant package for Theodore. Certainly more than Daley and Nyquist...

Meeeeee too. NO way they let Theodore go though. Especially when they'll be without Schmidt for 20. 

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Yeah but if you're looking big picture you'd have to look at all the assets McPhee was able to squeeze out of other GMs during the expansion draft. In which case, I think he can afford to burn through a few less than optimal trades if he's making the team better right now (which he, for sure, has). 

Exactly!  Sure, was Tatar really worth the picks given up? No, but it's not as if they're in want of draft picks. They're still rather flush, missing only their own 2019 7th rounder and the 2021 third rounder.  They've got two extra 3rds and 5th in 2019 and 2 additional 2nd round picks in 2020. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 12.24.13 PM.png

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

not sure if you guys realize the puns you are using!

@krsmith17 said he refuses to  "bet" against Vegas

@e_prime said they're still rather "flush"

intentional or not, its pretty funny!

I caught @krsmith17 's so I had to call.

6 minutes ago, e_prime said:

This guy has such a well balanced take.

Agreed. Pretty standard for him -- gets a detail or two wrong (in this case, that Tatar had no points for Vegas in their postseason run), but, on the whole, you're getting a well-informed and balanced take.

I think he's got the right attitude re: Vegas and why this is really exciting for Vegas, and for Pacioretty, and -- I would argue -- for hockey itself. Granted, I've been on the Vegas HYPE! train since Day 1, so I'm biased. I love that the NHL is in that city and I really want to see the experiment succeed. So far, so good.

16 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This is why I don't understand why you always bring up the "rental" and UFA thing with Karlsson.  You act like the GMs, agents, and players can't talk about trades together and figure out beneficial long term plans for all parties.  In reality, if a trade happens in professional sports that surprises the player, there is a high likelihood that the player has pissed people off in the organization.  Even then, it still behooves the GM to keep his cool and make the player more marketable by keeping thing professional and looking out for the well being of all parties involved.

The "rental thing" gets brought up because nobody wants us to trade for Karlsson without certainty.  Usually, "rental" is a term that gets thrown out around the trade deadline because teams are looking for a quick-fix to put them over the top.  "Rental" isn't usually term associated with trades made in the offseason because teams are planning not quick fixing or looking to move assets just for picks.

In hockey, I'd love an example of a trade that surprised the player.  I'm sure they exist but I can't think of a recent one that caused any major ripples in the landscape of how trades get done or how players or management acts concerning trades.

As far as Karlsson goes... the GM can be as cool and keep the player as marketable as he possibly can.  Doesn't mean good ole Eugene is going to do so.

I still think the Wings should go after someone other than Karlsson.