• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

Pretty underwhelming return. I'm thinking we could've matched that. I wasn't for trading for him, but the equivalent of that return would've been fine in hindsight. I really don't think this puts San Jose over the top. I think Karlsson will be pretty disappointed out there.

Guess we hope he does not sign there and we get a shot at him in July. 

29 other teams have to be Shaking their heads at that return...PLUS no Bobby Ryan.

Just now, LeftWinger said:

I really don't think this puts San Jose over the top. I think Karlsson will be pretty disappointed out there.

I mean, for a team in win-now mode, this is pretty much the best "This isn't even my final form!" move you could ever hope to pull off. They give up a whole lot of nothing (picks shmicks) and in return they get Erik Freaking Karlsson.

Their top three on the back-end is now Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic. That's really, really good.

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Their top three on the back-end is now Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic. That's really, really good.

Really, really, really good.

They really, really, really, really want a cup THIS YEAR.

Also, it really, really, really, really really seems like Karlsson will be a free agent.  Without diving in too deep. Those terms around the conditional picks would mean a WHOLE lotta work has to get done before you can work out an extension for Karlsson and not screw your draft plan for a second.  

Edited by e_prime

5 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Also, it really, really, really, really really seems like Karlsson will be a free agent.  Without diving in too deep. Those terms around the conditional picks would mean a WHOLE lotta work has to get done before you can work out an extension for Karlsson and not screw your draft plan for a second.  

Does feel like he's destined for free agency.

Lest we forget...

“When I go to market, I’m going to get what I’m worth, and it’s going to be no less, no matter where I’m going,” Karlsson told the Ottawa Sun Thursday in Brooklyn.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/erik-karlsson-talks-free-agency-im-going-get-im-worth/

15 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

I remember getting laughed at when I speculated about us getting Karlsson for "picks + expendable pieces", nothing relevant. Well...turns out, even conditional picks could do it. :eh:

They did also get a first and second on top of the prospects and two conditional picks. 

Edited by amato

1 hour ago, e_prime said:

Couldn’t think of any better first move for general manager Steve Yzerman :innocent:

7 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/09/13/islanders-goalie-robin-lehner-opens-up-about-his-addiction-and-bipolar-diagnosis-i-could-not-stand-being-alone-in-my-brain/

Interesting read from Islander's G Robin Lehner regarding issues he's been having. Cool of him to share his story and get it out there, wishing him all the best. 

Well that sorta explains the neck tattoo...

12 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/09/13/islanders-goalie-robin-lehner-opens-up-about-his-addiction-and-bipolar-diagnosis-i-could-not-stand-being-alone-in-my-brain/

Interesting read from Islander's G Robin Lehner regarding issues he's been having. Cool of him to share his story and get it out there, wishing him all the best. 

I had an important question about this article that I meant to ask earlier. 

In America, how many beer in a case? 24? 

18 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

I remember getting laughed at when I speculated about us getting Karlsson for "picks + expendable pieces", nothing relevant. Well...turns out, even conditional picks could do it. :eh:

I'm sure you're aware, but for those playing at home...  Sens aren't trading EK to an Eastern Conference team for picks and expendable pieces.  That's made clear by the conditional "don't trade him East" pick.

San Jose gave up their 3C, 6D, and two top ten prospects -- rankings vary by site/scout/etc -- but most consider both of these prospects top ten in their current depth chart.  (Not that I'm some sort of Sharks Prospect Expert.  I barely know our own prospects.  I watched the Prospects Tourney for the first time ever this year and plan to pay A LOT more attention to these guys.) 

But let's say for S&Gs that we could get EK for the same price that the Sens got him... What are the comparable pieces from the Wings that would have to go to the Sens?   Athanasiou, Jensen, Rasmussen, Svech/Bergerren. (??)  Plus a first and a second. 

Without even considering what the price and penalty for re-signing him, would you do that? 

Not me.  This rebuilding team can't afford to give up the picks nor can they afford to give up ANY of these players or prospects.  (Okay, maybe Jensen.)

Edited by e_prime

42 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

So Lehner was basically drinking 24 beer a night? + sleeping pills? That can't be true.  

Yeah.  I dunno.  12 packs of beer are pretty commonplace too.  So, maybe it was 12+.  ...but you can get a 30 pack of Lebatt Blue  for the price of a 12 pack of something "better".  Guess it depends on his tastes and such.

I'm sure a case isn't out of the realm of possibility.  Maybe not EVERY night.  ...but regularly.  Sure.  I can see it.    Couple of months ago when I wasn't in such a great place I was putting back 4-6 beers or a combo of a few beers plus a cocktail or two nightly.  Thankfully, my ship has righted, but... I can see how it could get to a place that was much much worse.

It sucks that depression has such as stigma attached to it.  It sucks that you're just supposed to "figure things out" or "move on" or "man-up."  I know I'm a huge smart ass on here a lot but if anyone ever just needs an ear.  I will listen.

Edited by e_prime

5 hours ago, e_prime said:

Yeah.  I dunno.  12 packs of beer are pretty commonplace too.  So, maybe it was 12+.  ...but you can get a 30 pack of Lebatt Blue  for the price of a 12 pack of something "better".  Guess it depends on his tastes and such.

I'm sure a case isn't out of the realm of possibility.  Maybe not EVERY night.  ...but regularly.  Sure.  I can see it.    Couple of months ago when I wasn't in such a great place I was putting back 4-6 beers or a combo of a few beers plus a cocktail or two nightly.  Thankfully, my ship has righted, but... I can see how it could get to a place that was much much worse.

It sucks that depression has such as stigma attached to it.  It sucks that you're just supposed to "figure things out" or "move on" or "man-up."  I know I'm a huge smart ass on here a lot but if anyone ever just needs an ear.  I will listen.

Tolerance is a crazy thing. I drink often, but 12 beers would pretty much put me down. But I used to know this lil hispanic guy back in the mitten who would throw back 24 bud lights and a fifth of vodka everyday. Was both impressive and sad to watch.

Lehner has a unique and interesting personality. Always liked that about him. Hope he can learn to appreciate it and live with it in a healthy way.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Tolerance is a crazy thing. I drink often, but 12 beers would pretty much put me down. But I used to know this lil hispanic guy back in the mitten who would throw back 24 bud lights and a fifth of vodka everyday. Was both impressive and sad to watch.

Lehner has a unique and interesting personality. Always liked that about him. Hope he can learn to appreciate it and live with it in a healthy way.

As the tolerance builds then numbers go higher and he could have spaced them out a bit also. 3 beers per hour say 4 hours thats a 12 pack. Basically a beer every 20 min or so and perhaps with his depressive state he drank quicker and therefore the numbers increased. 

11 hours ago, Dabura said:

Ahahahah. Cute. FML SMH etc etc

Yeah, I can't wait to watch a team try and grind out enough 2-1 wins to screw themselves out of a top 10 pick when getting more elite skill (through the top of the draft) should be the only thing they are focused on. 

Also, be prepared to see 15 -17 minutes of Glendenning. 

Also, be prepared to see Abdlekader and Helm in middle 6 roles instead of being on the 4th line where they belong.

was excited for this season to start...........

On 9/14/2018 at 8:41 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

So Lehner was basically drinking 24 beer a night? + sleeping pills? That can't be true.  

Much better option IMHO...

ci-buffalo-trace-bourbon-5c461decbc52875

Since Buffalo Trace is tough to find - this is a good alternative...

evan-williams-single-barrel-vintage-bour

13 hours ago, Dabura said:

Where do guys like Nyquist fit in?