• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018 Off-Season Trades / Signings / News

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I think I see where they are going.  If we get the #1 pick and draft Hughes, it will be Larkin just giving up the C in 2 years once Hughes starts rolling.  That's not Detroit's style for the last 40 years.

Why would Larkin have to give up the C just because we draft Hughes? The captain doesn't necessarily need to be the best player on the team. Larkin has all the leadership qualities you'd want in a captain. Hughes could be an alternate captain, or maybe not get a letter at all... Matthews doesn't wear a letter, and it looks like they might give the C to Tavares next season. Matthews will likely get an A if that were to happen though.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why would Larkin have to give up the C just because we draft Hughes? The captain doesn't necessarily need to be the best player on the team. Larkin has all the leadership qualities you'd want in a captain. Hughes could be an alternate captain, or maybe not get a letter at all... Matthews doesn't wear a letter, and it looks like they might give the C to Tavares next season. Matthews will likely get an A if that were to happen though.

Could you imagine the potential for locker room drama if Tavares gets the C, and Matthews doesn't?

#MuricanHockeyPlayersMatter

33 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1511185002

I think I see where they are going.  If we get the #1 pick and draft Hughes, it will be Larkin just giving up the C in 2 years once Hughes starts rolling.  That's not Detroit's style for the last 40 years.

Reading this https://www.mlive.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/10/6f8c66ba322652/dylan-larkin-ready-to-lead-det.html#incart_river_index sure sounds like Larkin has learned a lot these past 3 years. IF he is this driven and refuses to let off the gas I see him as the next one to wear the "C" 

From the linked article 

“As a young player in this organization, I want that,” Larkin said. “I don’t want to spend my whole career not in the playoffs and not playing big games. All these players’ (photos), they’re up there because they’ve won big games. I can’t tell anyone else to get better, I’ve got to try to get better myself.”

“I need to be better on the power play (only one goal and seven assists),” Larkin said. “I need to do a better job of getting shots through. I also want to be better in overtime. With my skating ability I should dictate the pace of overtime."

“It’s not easy, it takes time to develop in this league. I’m not even close to where I want to be as a player.”

Above quotes say he has recognized his weaknesses and is busting his hump(my assumption) to fix his holes and develop as a player and leader. I applaud his honesty and look forward to see if he does as he says he will do.

Plus if the guy that used to wear #19 comes back he definitely could teach a lesson or 2 about getting to the next level to Mr Larkin.

14 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This is all great.  But if Hughes comes in and produces 100 pts a season, he's getting the C.  No buts.

This simply isn't true...

IF we were to luck out in next year's draft lottery and land Hughes, and IF he becomes an 80-100 point player, that doesn't necessarily mean he's captain material. I would consider Larkin / Hughes to be a very similar situation to Toews / Kane. Kane is the much more skilled player, but Toews "Captain Serious" is much better suited as the captain.

You, being a Toews fan boy, should know that you don't need to be the best player on the team to be the captain...

19 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sounds like Rick Nash is retiring. Only 34 yo.

EDIT: Guy from spittin' chicklets reported it. Nashers agent is now denying the report.

Is it retirement if you're not playing because nobody wants to sign you?

Willie Nylander still not signed (me thinks he'll either sign a 2 yr deal, or get signed/traded for a Dman)...

Also - was watching the Leafs/Blackhawks game a few nights ago...Was a night remembering the late great Stan Mikita...HonoUrary faceoff saw Tavares, amd Toews...Got me thinking why not Matthews?

Talk amongst yourselves...

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Willie Nylander still not signed (me thinks he'll either sign a 2 yr deal, or get signed/traded for a Dman)...

Also - was watching the Leafs/Blackhawks game a few nights ago...Was a night remembering the late great Stan Mikita...HonoUrary faceoff saw Tavares, amd Toews...Got me thinking why not Matthews?

Talk amongst yourselves...

Because the honourary faceoff is taken by the two team captains. The Leafs don't currently have a captain, so it would be one of the alternate captains, and since Matthews isn't an alternate captain, it wouldn't make much sense for him to take it. It was between Tavares, Marleau and Rielly and Tavares was the right choice.

As for Nylander, I think he will eventually be traded, like you said, for a defenseman. They have a ton of depth up front, and Kapanen has proven capable on that top line with Matthews. They need help on the back end, and Nylander is a pretty nice trade chip to get themselves a solid top 2/3 defenseman.

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Because the honourary faceoff is taken by the two team captains. The Leafs don't currently have a captain, so it would be one of the alternate captains, and since Matthews isn't an alternate captain, it wouldn't make much sense for him to take it. It was between Tavares, Marleau and Rielly and Tavares was the right choice.

As for Nylander, I think he will eventually be traded, like you said, for a defenseman. They have a ton of depth up front, and Kapanen has proven capable on that top line with Matthews. They need help on the back end, and Nylander is a pretty nice trade chip to get themselves a solid top 2/3 defenseman.

Yikes - I didn’t even notice Matthews wasn’t an alternate...Me thinks this might be an issue down the road.

Yikes - I didn’t even notice Matthews wasn’t an alternate...Me thinks this might be an issue down the road.

It's because they will make him captain next year as an incentive to take a hometown discount. Calling it now 

After seeing what kids these days call fashion...Not sure if I'd want him being 'C'...

http://sharpmagazine.com/2018/10/08/auston-matthews-is-about-to-blow-up/

Looks like the poor Arizona kid can't take the Toronto weather. He's wearing a coat in every picture.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wow, that's worse than the Philly mascot

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Looks like the poor Arizona kid can't take the Toronto weather. He's wearing a coat in every picture.

Anyone else thinking 'Blade Runner'?

7 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

eeCMedia-18-09SHARP-005.jpg

That watch is $45,400?!?!

"Excuse me Barkeep! Can I have a Mumford and Sons Double IPA please. With extra ink and pomade!" 

He obviously can't grow face-hair or he'd have a neck beard too"

Edited by The 91 of Ryans