• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

6/22 GDT - 2018 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/23888005/2018-nhl-draft-winners-losers-draft-weekend-including-detroit-red-wings-new-york-islanders-artemi-panarin-gary-bettman

Winner: Red Wings

Filip Zadina might be the surest scorer in this draft, and somehow -- miraculously -- he fell in the Red Wings' lap at No. 6 overall. This is a winger who can play as soon as this season, even in a top-six role.

The Red Wings then capitalized on another draft faller, when center Joseph Veleno was available at No. 30. Detroit's biggest need was defense, and they addressed that with three defensemen during the next two rounds.

Detroit is embarking on a total makeover, and this draft couldn't have gone any better for GM Ken Holland -- who has been on a roll since the trade deadline after bringing in a haul for Tomas Tatar. Apparently, reports of Holland's demise have been greatly exaggerated. The Red Wings being good again is fun for everyone!

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/2018-nhl-draft-grades-sabres-panthers-red-wings-get-top-marks-for-their-picks/

Detroit Red Wings: A+

They should be absolutely enthralled with what transpired this weekend. Even if you look just at the first round, they landed maybe the draft's second-best goal-scorer at No. 6 in Filip Zadina, then got another steal with center Joseph Veleno at No. 30.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-picks-2018-grades-results-trade-rumors-rasmus-dahlin-brady-tkachuk-quinn-hughes/37z44iwdg3q5z9c3nm9j05h8

6. Detroit Red Wings — Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

The Red Wings really needed a puck mover who can run their power play, but Filip Zadina is an elite forward they simply couldnt pass up. This kid fills the net and competes hard in all three zones. A real leader and sets a great example. 

Grade: A

30. Detroit Red Wings (via Golden Knights) — Joe Veleno, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

About time a team woke up and took the draft's fastest center, except Veleno is a premier playmaker who busts it from start to finish. Mark my words -- he will be one of the better NHL players to come out of this draft. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782556-2018-nhl-draft-results-team-by-team-grades-for-notable-picks

Detroit Red Wings: Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax, Grade: A

Zadina has a terrific shot, and his ability to go to the front of the net is notable. He' also solid on both ends of the ice. Center Joseph Veleno, right wing Jonatan Berggren and defenseman Jared McIsaac all look like potential big-time contributors.

So apparently all of these guys are clueless too.

Whalstrom and Dobson fall to NYI and their ne GM all of a sudden is a  ******* draft - winning genius God (even though Garth Snow got them one of those picks, but he's an idiot). 

Zadina and Veleno fall to the Wings and Holland is incompetent. 

Someone will write a paper about  this someday. 

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Need #2 = Right Handed #2 Dman. At pick 6 and Zadina on the board, this is Holland's first fail.  He should have traded this pick to Edmonton for Lucic and #10.  Then drafted one of Bouchard or Dobson.

is this for real ????  you wanted us to fall back to 10th and take lucic to draft dobson ??? so move back 4 spots for the fun lf it and pick up a horrible contract ? lmao is it april already

and seth barton is right handed that should quench your thirst for now .... not the biggest fan of veleno but we cant complain with our first 5 picks , berggren,mcisaac and regula have upside .... start checking the ufa list if you want a righty 

https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/06/23/watch-prospects-talk-being-drafted-red-wings/728148002/

Zadina is a cocky kid. I love it.

Spoiler Alert: O'Reilly has a Detroit connection.

Regula's Dad used to be team dentist.

McIsaac is a teammate of Zadina in Halifax.

Veleno is boring.

Had no contact with Wings before being drafted.

Totally stoked for these kids!!!

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Just sit back and watch Holland, he'll "go on."

Well, who is Bergggggggggggggggren? Holland always f***s up and lets Haken pick in the 2nd round. The 2 d round is not for experiments. 

All he had to do is pick Noel and Wilde and he would've had a great draft. 

Can't wait to see the 3rd rounders Puken Luben.

Draft just wouldn't be the same without your bigoted hysteria. Glad you made it back. :clap:

I'm listening to Tyler Wright talk about drafting...

Didn't realize Veleno was one of the best skaters in this draft. Didn't realize he got special exemption to play at a young age. And didn't realize he's captained team Canada at the Hlinka tournament. What a steal. Kid screams superior skating, skill, and character. 

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm listening to Tyler Wright talk about drafting...

Didn't realize Veleno was one of the best skaters in this draft. Didn't realize he got special exemption to play at a young age. And didn't realize he's captained team Canada at the Hlinka tournament. What a steal. Kid screams superior skating, skill, and character. 

Yup, I mentioned the exceptional status earlier in the thread. One of only five players ever granted such an honor into the CHL, and first ever in the QMJHL. Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid and Sean Day were the previous four. Three number one overall picks, Day was drafted 81st overall by the Rangers two years ago (due to concerns with work ethic / attitude), and our boy Veleno inexplicably dropped to 30th overall this year. Still no idea how that happened to a player that was on everyone's list to go in the top 15-20...

And yes he's a phenomenal skater, has great hands, great passer, great work ethic and thinks the game at an elite level. The only thing he seems to lack is a shot, and it's not that it's that bad, just not that great. Another thing is, he was one of the best in the draft from the CHL at gaining the offensive zone. I'd much rather a center that can skate like the wind, stickhandle through traffic, thread the needle with passes, works his ass off, that only has an okay shot. That's what his wingers are for. Zadina and Mantha are elite snipers, we just need a couple right-handed snipers.

I think he has 2C potential, and if he reaches that, and Larkin reaches his 1C potential, we should have a very strong forward corp in a few years.

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, I mentioned the exceptional status earlier in the thread. One of only five players ever granted such an honor into the CHL, and first ever in the QMJHL. Tavares, Ekblad, McDavid and Sean Day were the previous four. Three number one overall picks, Day was drafted 81st overall by the Rangers two years ago (due to concerns with work ethic / attitude), and our boy Veleno inexplicably dropped to 30th overall this year. Still no idea how that happened to a player that was on everyone's list to go in the top 15-20...

And yes he's a phenomenal skater, has great hands, great passer, great work ethic and thinks the game at an elite level. The only thing he seems to lack is a shot, and it's not that it's that bad, just not that great. Another thing is, he was one of the best in the draft from the CHL at gaining the offensive zone. I'd much rather a center that can skate like the wind, stickhandle through traffic, thread the needle with passes, works his ass off, that only has an okay shot. That's what his wingers are for. Zadina and Mantha are elite snipers, we just need a couple right-handed snipers.

I think he has 2C potential, and if he reaches that, and Larkin reaches his 1C potential, we should have a very strong forward corp in a few years.

I think your onto something here.

Assuming Rasmussen and Veleno both have top 6 potential, I'd much rather have Larkin / Veleno as our 1-2 punch down the middle and have Zadina, Mantha, Rasmussen, and one of Svechnikov, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, or whoever on the wings. I still say we desperately need to add an elite right-handed sniper or two to the top 6, but not sure if that's going to happen any time soon...

30. Detroit Red Wings (via Golden Knights) — Joe Veleno, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

About time a team woke up and took the draft's fastest center, except Veleno is a premier playmaker who busts it from start to finish. Mark my words -- he will be one of the better NHL players to come out of this draft. 

New to this board, largely because I fell in love with Veleno's game the first scrimmage I watched him in Saint John. Not a season ticket holder, but I've seen him play many times. My first impression his first scrimmage when he was 15 was a tall, lanky floater. He looked first for someone to pass to. Then he out-fought a bigger, older, experienced player in a corner; then he stole a few more pucks along the boards; then he drifted over center, saw an opening and shot like a rocket around everyone to get a scoring chance with a great shot, with his head up. NHL speed at 15. NHL skills at 15.

Two seasons ago I watched him out-skate and outwork Nico Hirchiser in the playoffs. My son and I agreed he was the better that game. 

The only other Q player who has ever excited me so thoroughly is MacKinnon. (I missed Crosby)

I rarely once saw him play first line or first line minutes until this season. His coaches groomed him for an all around game, taught him defense, and I think that approach was best for him. He can skate and score but he looks for teammates first. Plays a team game. Others, IMHO, had trouble playing with him - didn't know how to get open.

Also keep in mind he was captain in Saint John, for the 2017 Hlinka team, and his NHL Top Prospects team; because he is a leader.

I'm biased, but in my opinion he's NHL ready and has HOF stamped on his forehead.

26 minutes ago, PowerUnit said:

New to this board, largely because I fell in love with Veleno's game the first scrimmage I watched him in Saint John. Not a season ticket holder, but I've seen him play many times. My first impression his first scrimmage when he was 15 was a tall, lanky floater. He looked first for someone to pass to. Then he out-fought a bigger, older, experienced player in a corner; then he stole a few more pucks along the boards; then he drifted over center, saw an opening and shot like a rocket around everyone to get a scoring chance with a great shot, with his head up. NHL speed at 15. NHL skills at 15.

Two seasons ago I watched him out-skate and outwork Nico Hirchiser in the playoffs. My son and I agreed he was the better that game. 

The only other Q player who has ever excited me so thoroughly is MacKinnon. (I missed Crosby)

I rarely once saw him play first line or first line minutes until this season. His coaches groomed him for an all around game, taught him defense, and I think that approach was best for him. He can skate and score but he looks for teammates first. Plays a team game. Others, IMHO, had trouble playing with him - didn't know how to get open.

Also keep in mind he was captain in Saint John, for the 2017 Hlinka team, and his NHL Top Prospects team; because he is a leader.

I'm biased, but in my opinion he's NHL ready and has HOF stamped on his forehead.

Welcome and thanks for the insight.

I'm not sure about NHL ready, I think another season in the Q may be best for him. He didn't truly dominate until he was traded to Drummondville, and he could use another full season down there. HOF may be getting a bit ahead of ourselves too, but I agree that he has the potential to be a special player and the steal of the draft.

Veleno is in the top 10  as being most NHL ready. Next year's 3 rd line centre? Why not , anyway did anyone else notice Quinn Hughes's face when Kenny took Zadina at 6 he was just behind Filip it was a look of disbelief. 

3 hours ago, PowerUnit said:

Welcome to the board. 

You’re going to hate it here. If you still want to have a healthy relationship with your son, I suggest your stay away from our delinquent group.

We do hoodrat stuff.

24 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Welcome to the board. 

You’re going to hate it here. If you still want to have a healthy relationship with your son, I suggest your stay away from our delinquent group.

We do hoodrat stuff.

No one welcomed me to the board

On 6/23/2018 at 12:52 PM, Prolix said:

Non quod erat demonstrandum.

Show me that Noel or Wilde will definitively be better picks than Berggren/McIsaac. 

Noel and Wilde are bigger and taller than Berggren and McIssac. Definitive proof that they will become better hockey players. Everyone knows this.

https://fansided.com/2018/06/24/2018-nhl-draft-report-card-grades-every-team-results-recap/

Detroit Red Wings – A

First Round Pick: Filip Zadina (RW) (6), Joe Veleno (C) (30)

I’m so conflicted. My inner Avalanche fan is telling me that I must dislike everything the Red Wings do from 1995 until the end of time. But my reasonable hockey mind is telling me that Detroit knocked it out of the park in the first round. I love Filip Zadina. When asked what he brings to Detroit, he said, “I bring the goals.” He’s going to score 200 goals in his first season. 150 of them will come against Ottawa, Montreal and Phoenix. The Red Wings need to find a way to acquire Travis Zajac so they can have the ZZZ line of Zadina, Zajac and Zetterberg. This is legitimately the only thing I have ever wanted in my life. On top of getting the third best player in the draft at number six, they got Joe Veleno at 30th. Many had Veleno as a lottery pick, with few thinking he would slip past number 20. His top-end talent is questionable, but watch Detroit turn him into the Canadian Pavel Datysuk.

Other Notable Picks: Jonatan Berggren (RW) (33), Ryan O’Reilly (RW) (98)

No surprise, Detroit went with a Swede in the second round. Berggren is an all-around talent and a dynamic scorer. He’s a player that could have gone in the first round based on talent and probably should have, if certain teams didn’t reach earlier in the draft. They also weren’t going to make the mistake of passing on Ryan O’Reilly a second time.

The Red Wings killed it. Let’s just move on before my Avs followers kill me.

2 hours ago, RobotHeart said:

We come in peace

Frederika-Doll4me-Premium-Real-Doll-TPE-Silicone.jpg_350x350.jpg

The nipple discussion is in the other thread.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie