• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

6/22 GDT - 2018 Entry Draft

Rate this topic

On 8/2/2018 at 4:08 PM, krsmith17 said:

C'mon man, we all know you hate Nyquist (for whatever unknown reason), but he absolutely does have moves just like this kid. I'm high on Berggren too, but the reason I am is because of how much he reminds me of Nyquist. Berggren is likely 2+ years away in my opinion. He'll likely play another season or two in Sweden with Skelleftea, then make his way over to North America and play a season or two in Grand Rapids, before making the Wings in 2020 or 2021.

This.

YEAH. Wings fans can be so bipolar. it's funny how everyone was calling for Holland's head a few years ago when Nyquist wasn't on the roster to start the season. "He was the 2nd half of the Euro Twins 2.0" Now after his hype has waned and his shooting percentage returned to earth, everyone wants to get rid of him despite the fact that he is still relatively young and has actually turned out to be a 2nd line forward,which is what he was realistically going to be anyway.

10 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

YEAH. Wings fans can be so bipolar. it's funny how everyone was calling for Holland's head a few years ago when Nyquist wasn't on the roster to start the season. "He was the 2nd half of the Euro Twins 2.0" Now after his hype has waned and his shooting percentage returned to earth, everyone wants to get rid of him despite the fact that he is still relatively young and has actually turned out to be a 2nd line forward,which is what he was realistically going to be anyway.

But Nyquist isn't a top six forward... and he's "overpaid"... and he sux...

33 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

But Nyquist isn't a top six forward... and he's "overpaid"... and he sux...

...ba but, I like goose. Oh wait, I see what you did there.

Prospects are like shiny new toys. When they're still in the box they hold so much promise and potential, then when time comes to translate that potential to actual points on the score sheet...well then the luster comes off for many and it's on to the next toy. Nyquist was a dead last 4th round draft pick that turned into a > .5ppg forward that plays a solid two way game. That pick was money, and if/when he's traded for a 1st, like Tatar was, it'll be tough for even the most pessimistic fan to spin that into anything other than a huge win. 

If Berggren "only" turns into Nyquist 2.0, I'll be delighted with the pick...kid sure looks like he has the tools. He was generating chances nearly every time he touched the puck in that development camp scrimmage that made it to the utubez. 

On 8/3/2018 at 9:30 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Trade him 

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Was that the good one or bad one. Which one is Janmark 

They're both decent middle six 30-40 point centers. Jarnkrok was traded to Nashville for Legwand... Janmark was traded to Dallas for Cole...

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That Kotkaniemi kid that no one wanted is looking REALLY good in the preseason. And the Habs are playing him against other teams top lines pretty much every shift. Doesn't look out of place in the league at all.

I was OK with him being our pick. I love Zadina. I believe in drafting BPA but if it's close? Centers. Centers all day every day over wingers.  I believe the common LGWs reason to "Rasmussen" him  when he charged up the rankings late in the year was that he "was probably going to be a winger". If the preseason is any indication he's mos def a ******* center. 

But I'm not jealous because I've never seen a Wings preseason group with this many good players ranging from 18 - 25. 

15 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That Kotkaniemi kid that no one wanted is looking REALLY good in the preseason. And the Habs are playing him against other teams top lines pretty much every shift. Doesn't look out of place in the league at all.

Kotkaniemi has a goal, 2 assists and 4 shots on goal in 5 pre-season games. That's pretty good, but I'm not sure I'd consider that sort of production "REALLY" good. I mean, Zadina has 2 goals (one being an OT winner), an assist and 9 shots on goal in 5 pre-season games, and we're all pretty "meh" on him so far. Some, including yourself even think he'd benefit from a season in the AHL before eventually (hopefully) becoming a star in the NHL. I still say Zadina was the right pick, even if we did move up in the draft lottery and end up with the 3rd overall pick. Kotkaniemi does look like a good pick for Montreal though. It's not like they picked Barrett Hayton...

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I was OK with him being our pick. I love Zadina. I believe in drafting BPA but if it's close? Centers. Centers all day every day over wingers.  I believe the common LGWs reason to "Rasmussen" him  when he charged up the rankings late in the year was that he "was probably going to be a winger". If the preseason is any indication he's mos def a ******* center. 

But I'm not jealous because I've never seen a Wings preseason group with this many good players ranging from 18 - 25. 

Curious, where do you think Rasmussen will end up in the lineup 2-3 years from now? Center or wing? 1st / 2nd / 3rd line?

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Kotkaniemi has a goal, 2 assists and 4 shots on goal in 5 pre-season games. That's pretty good, but I'm not sure I'd consider that sort of production "REALLY" good. I mean, Zadina has 2 goals (one being an OT winner), an assist and 9 shots on goal in 5 pre-season games, and we're all pretty "meh" on him so far. Some, including yourself even think he'd benefit from a season in the AHL before eventually (hopefully) becoming a star in the NHL. I still say Zadina was the right pick, even if we did move up in the draft lottery and end up with the 3rd overall pick. Kotkaniemi does look like a good pick for Montreal though. It's not like they picked Barrett Hayton...

Curious, where do you think Rasmussen will end up in the lineup 2-3 years from now? Center or wing? 1st / 2nd / 3rd line?

So much depends on who they draft this year/sign as a UFA (I know lol) etc.

But if I had to guess? 2C or 1st line winger is his ceiling. 

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Not trying to disparage Zadina, but I thought Kotkaniemi was a lot more fun to watch than Zadina was. And Kotkaniemi was being matched up against Tavares and other 1st line centermen all preseason. I was impressed that one he found the success he did, and two that he looked really good doing it.

Zadina was a little more bland. Flashes of brilliance, decent defense for a youngen, but nothing that made me say WOW he needs to stay with the big club.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not trying to disparage Zadina, but I thought Kotkaniemi was a lot more fun to watch than Zadina was. And Kotkaniemi was being matched up against Tavares and other 1st line centermen all preseason. I was impressed that one he found the success he did, and two that he looked really good doing it.

Zadina was a little more bland. Flashes of brilliance, decent defense for a youngen, but nothing that made me say WOW he needs to stay with the big club.

As someone who watched a little of Kotkaniemi's gameplay so far I'd agree. I will say though that when/if Zadina figures out his game at the pro level, he's going to be significantly more fun to watch. I think Kotkaniemi can be good and looks more ready than I anticipated, but I don't see a huge, dynamic upside there. Zadina on the other hand is a player in the same mold as Kucherov, IMO. It may take him a while to get there (like Kucherov) and he obviously may not be as good, but there's a lot of upside. Of course at the end of the day it's apples/oranges. Good two way center or good scoring winger, be thrilled to have either. 

14 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

As someone who watched a little of Kotkaniemi's gameplay so far I'd agree. I will say though that when/if Zadina figures out his game at the pro level, he's going to be significantly more fun to watch. I think Kotkaniemi can be good and looks more ready than I anticipated, but I don't see a huge, dynamic upside there. Zadina on the other hand is a player in the same mold as Kucherov, IMO. It may take him a while to get there (like Kucherov) and he obviously may not be as good, but there's a lot of upside. Of course at the end of the day it's apples/oranges. Good two way center or good scoring winger, be thrilled to have either. 

"Good two way scoring winger" you mean?

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

12 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Yeah I mean Kucherov spent about 20 games in the AHL his first season and only amassed 18 pts in the NHL that season.

Season two he's at 65 pts.

Zadina could be going down a similar road.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I know you didn't ask me, but....with Larkin as the consensus 1C and Veleno looking to be the future 2C, I see Rass slotting in as a LW on one of the top 2 lines most nights, with the occasional 2C duties when there's an injury or back to back games.

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I suspect Larkin's emergence last season, combined with the Rasmussen pick, helped place Kotkaniemi behind Zadina on the Wings' wish list. I like Kotkaniemi, I don't think the Kopitar comparisons are without merit, and I won't claim that Zadina is definitely the better player. But I do think we needed Zadina more than we needed Kotkaniemi, even before Veleno fell to us.

I've always liked Veleno more than Kotkaniemi, so I really mean it when I say we got arguably the best sniper in the draft and arguably the best centerman in the draft. I'm 100% happy with how our 1st round played out.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I know you didn't ask me, but....with Larkin as the consensus 1C and Veleno looking to be the future 2C, I see Rass slotting in as a LW on one of the top 2 lines most nights, with the occasional 2C duties when there's an injury or back to back games.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. We have Larkin and Veleno (hopefully) as our future top 2C's. But more than that, I just think Rasmussen's style of play is better suited on the wing. This is not a knock on Ras, because I think he will be a beast for us. 

16 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I suspect Larkin's emergence last season, combined with the Rasmussen pick, helped place Kotkaniemi behind Zadina on the Wings' wish list. I like Kotkaniemi, I don't think the Kopitar comparisons are without merit, and I won't claim that Zadina is definitely the better player. But I do think we needed Zadina more than we needed Kotkaniemi, even before Veleno fell to us.

I've always liked Veleno more than Kotkaniemi, so I really mean it when I say we got arguably the best sniper in the draft and arguably the best centerman in the draft. I'm 100% happy with how our 1st round played out.

Yup, samezies.