• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

This was a steal by the Wings @ 6 overall...thank you so much Montreal, Ottawa, and Arizona! If the wings hadn't also made out like bandits with their 30th and 33rd picks it'd be easy to call this the biggest heist of the draft, but it was such a great draft for Detroit, it's tough to say which pick was the best bargain. Time will tell I suppose.

39 minutes ago, solarion said:

This was a steal by the Wings @ 6 overall...thank you so much Montreal, Ottawa, and Arizona! If the wings hadn't also made out like bandits with their 30th and 33rd picks it'd be easy to call this the biggest heist of the draft, but it was such a great draft for Detroit, it's tough to say which pick was the best bargain. Time will tell I suppose.

Best player I think will be Zadina (top line winger). Biggest steal I think will be Veleno (2nd line center). You're absolutely right though. This was a phenomenal draft by the Wings, and could go down as one of the best since '89... Certainly makes up for the not-so-great draft from last year...

Yeah Veleno falling to 30 was awesome for Detroit. Great skater, great playmaker, solid defensively...just that lackluster shot. Which frankly doesn't seem like that big a deal to me for a center...provided you put some great finishers(Zadina, Mantha, AA) on his wing. If Veleno progresses well and can push for a roster spot, I imagine a line with Mantha and AA on his wings could give teams fits...that's a whole lot of speed to deal with.

REDDIT THREAD: Zadina Awakening Begins

The question posed to r/DetroitRedWings: Do you think Seider will be better than Zadina?

Some responses:

"Seider for sure. Zadina looks like a 2nd liner at best."

"If Zadina can't improve his skating, yeah, I think he'll cap out as a 2nd liner. It's really his lack of speed that's holding him back. If he gets faster, he'll be able to make more plays for himself, whether that's on the forecheck or being able to go wide when carrying the puck."

"What I want to see is him carry the puck and create chances for himself with speed. He did that in his draft year, and I haven't seen it since. He used to be a really flashy player in that regard, but he doesn't do it anymore."

"Did you stop paying attention to the Wings after 2 months? You seem completely unaware of the stretch of games that Zadina played in Detroit lol. 8 goals and 15 points in ~26 games, and he blatantly looked incredible. Not that I blame you for having a hard time tuning into Wings games this year considering how many went, but Zadina clearly started to prove the haters wrong. And he actually showed a two way side to the game as well. You’re way too late on the “Zadina is a bust” train. That train crashed a little while ago."

"Wings still should’ve drafted Quinn Hughes over Zadina."

"Joe Veleno will be better than Zadina."

"Tough comparison. Seider is obviously a defenseman and Zadina is a forward, and I know you’re aware of that, but it makes for a tough comparison. They both look like they’re on track to be top players on this team. Zadina looked incredible when he was up this year, and a no doubt top line player (forward). Seider hasn’t played in the NHL yet, but his AHL play has said a ton. He is on track to also be a top defensemen on the team and play top minutes. Part of it depends on everyone’s personal argument about the value of a top forward/goal scorer vs the value of a top defensive/2-way defenseman, but they seem to be on track to be similar contributors."

I legit lol-ed at the bolded. Incredible? Really? The ol double down on the hype strategy always works...

I put that fandom at about 2016ish Mrazek level at the moment. Everyone seems to know there's something up with this player but no one can quite rationalize it yet...

The jury is still very much out on this kid. If he breaks out into a star winger, he'd hardly be the first high draft pick to have a sluggish start. Regardless, a 50 point winger is probably a safe bet for his floor. The question is how much will he improve on that? The tools are certainly there. His most recent play, while I wouldn't say incredible, showed promise.