• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Vanek Signs 1yr. $3M

Rate this topic

I'm not for the Vanek signing, but I really dont see it as a big deal. Signings like the Nielsen signing, or even the Abby & Helm signings, those are signs that they are not thinking re-build. Contracts for mid tier players that are 1 or 2 years don't stop a re-build. Bernier was 3 years, but I think is so they have someone somewhat decent once the inevitable Howard trade takes place. 

I think Holland wants to be competitive up to the deadline, then sell and hope to do well in the lottery, opposed to being a team that is way out of it from the first month. Again, not necessarily my approach, but nothing to get worked up about. I'm sure a lot of this is coming from Illitch as well. Selling tickets does matter, and regardless of whether or not myself/posters here think this will matter, I think the perception of ownership is that it will. 

Either way, I'm sure come deadline time we sell Howard, Nyquist, Vanek, Jensen, possibly Frk and IF he wants one more shot Konrwall for picks. 

To me, today isnt a good day or a bad day in our re-build, its just a day.

I see this as a GOOD signing. I think it almost makes it certain that Zadina is in the lineup from day 1 with Vanek as a mentor & both being Czech. And I don't know about anyone else, but I am all for having another 20 goal scorer in the lineup. I still think a trade or two will be coming to make more room, and Zetterberg isn't a guarantee to be back with his back issues.

So right now, forwards on one way contracts are:

Larkin Mantha Zetterberg Bertuzzi Nyquist AA Nielsen Helm Abby Glendening Frk Witkowski Vanek

That only leaves room for one of Zadina, Rass, and Svech to make the roster. Unless a trade is made (which i think could happen) I only see Rass on the roster opening night unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SpiritFan said:

I see this as a GOOD signing. I think it almost makes it certain that Zadina is in the lineup from day 1 with Vanek as a mentor & both being Czech. And I don't know about anyone else, but I am all for having another 20 goal scorer in the lineup. I still think a trade or two will be coming to make more room, and Zetterberg isn't a guarantee to be back with his back issues.

Vanek is Austrian, but I'm pretty sure he does speak fluent Czech, which could be a good thing for Zadina I guess, but not really necessary since Zadina also speaks fluent English. I actually don't think there's a very good chance Zadina makes the roster as things sit right now. However, there could still be a trade (hopefully) to open things up a little.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Larkin Mantha Zetterberg Bertuzzi Nyquist AA Nielsen Helm Abby Glendening Frk Witkowski Vanek

That only leaves room for one of Zadina, Rass, and Svech to make the roster. Unless a trade is made (which i think could happen) I only see Rass on the roster opening night unfortunately.

Yeah, pretty much this. Unless there's a trade before the season starts, I think Rasmussen will be the only new kid to make the team and Zadina and Svech will play together in Grand Rapids, until the inevitable injury occurs. Which I think is fine too.

I wasn't a big fan of the Vanek signing, but it's certainly not the worst thing that could have happened. The roster will really start to open up (hopefully) for the kids, over the next year or two.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It’s possible Frk or Gritowski will get waived if Zadina is ready. 

58 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

It’s possible Frk or Gritowski will get waived if Zadina is ready. 

Frk yes. And I would have no complaint with that. I just don't know why they re-signed him if they thought they were bringing in Vanek. I really think Rass and Zadina should start the season with the Wings. I have no problem with Svech starting the season in GR and getting regular call ups tho.

Witkowski isn't going anywhere. He's the only true "muscle" on the team and he is well liked in the locker room. They won't waive him.

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Frk yes. And I would have no complaint with that. I just don't know why they re-signed him if they thought they were bringing in Vanek. I really think Rass and Zadina should start the season with the Wings. I have no problem with Svech starting the season in GR and getting regular call ups tho.

Witkowski isn't going anywhere. He's the only true "muscle" on the team and he is well liked in the locker room. They won't waive him.

He's also a waste of a roster spot because, outside of the muscle aspect, the dude isn't a good hockey player. He doesn't contribute anything towards winning games. If he's the reason that a kid doesn't make it, that's just ludicrous.

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

He's also a waste of a roster spot because, outside of the muscle aspect, the dude isn't a good hockey player. He doesn't contribute anything towards winning games. If he's the reason that a kid doesn't make it, that's just ludicrous.

So when Larkin and Zadina are getting headshots and crosschecks to the back, I guess we'll be looking to Abby and E to step in? I agree that from a "hockey" aspect, Wit doesn't have much to offer. But we have too much young talent on this team coming up, and I like having someone with his particular set of skills around.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Yes, Witkowski sucks, but he's the perfect 13th/14th forward. You need someone filling that role and we don't want a Zadina or Svechnikov sitting games and Glendening, Helm or Abdelkader aren't going to sit any games. We just need to hope Witkowski plays as little as possible...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes, Witkowski sucks, but he's the perfect 13th/14th forward. You need someone filling that role and we don't want a Zadina or Svechnikov sitting games and Glendening, Helm or Abdelkader aren't going to sit any games. We just need to hope Witkowski plays as little as possible...

I dont mind a player like that in the 13/14 slot, someone has to be a healthy scratch each game. Plus, if there is a team out there that takes liberties, its nice to have that option to stick in your lineup next time around.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:50 AM, TLGTrico said:

I'll tell you right now.  If either one of Zadina or Rasmussen aren't in the lineup on opening night, I'll be booing Vanek every time he has the puck.

Play them with Vanek.

18 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Which means he's still seen as an asset around the league. That's a positive thing.

Yeah. He even got another 1-200k over a year after he left Detroit. I thought he'd come in at around 2.5, but he probaly had other offers around 3 million.