• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Jonathan Bernier Signs 3yr. $3M AAV

Rate this topic

10 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Good signing. We needed a stop gap goaltender until one of the kids emerge. Bernier was the goalie I was hoping for.

I was hoping for Grubauer but the Avs killed that one. Hutton would have been my second choice, but he was set on Buffalo. He was the Wings first choice apparently, Bernier was the backup plan. He should be fine if he's not in a starting role full time. Split with Howard this season, then if Howard is let walk or traded at the deadline, gonna have to sign someone else in the summer. I can't see any of the prospects being ready for full time backup duty by then. 

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I was hoping for Grubauer but the Avs killed that one. Hutton would have been my second choice, but he was set on Buffalo. He was the Wings first choice apparently, Bernier was the backup plan. He should be fine if he's not in a starting role full time. Split with Howard this season, then if Howard is let walk or traded at the deadline, gonna have to sign someone else in the summer. I can't see any of the prospects being ready for full time backup duty by then. 

I'd rather sign Bernier (or any of the other comparable goaltenders) than trade away assets for Grubauer. We're not ready to win now, and by the time we are, Grubauer would be 30+. I would rather any UFA or hell, even McCollum or Rybar for a few seasons than give up assets in a trade for a goaltender. Our prospects aren't ready yet, and we don't need them to be. We just need a stopgap, and Bernier is just that.

20 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd rather sign Bernier (or any of the other comparable goaltenders) than trade away assets for Grubauer. We're not ready to win now, and by the time we are, Grubauer would be 30+. I would rather any UFA or hell, even McCollum or Rybar for a few seasons than give up assets in a trade for a goaltender. Our prospects aren't ready yet, and we don't need them to be. We just need a stopgap, and Bernier is just that.

He is a stopgap, but he hasn't had a starter's workload since he left Toronto, and even there I think he was under 50 games each season. He's better in a tandem, which is why it will work with Howard. 

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Well apparently they were close to a 1 year deal for Cam Ward, but he chose the Blackhawks instead. 

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

He is a stopgap, but he hasn't had a starter's workload since he left Toronto, and even there I think he was under 50 games each season. He's better in a tandem, which is why it will work with Howard. 

So what's the problem? That's more than we know about Grubauer.

Point is, a veteran UFA was the right choice over giving up assets for a goaltender that may or may not be "the guy" going forward. I'm not sold on Grubauer. He put up good numbers on an elite Washington team, let's see how he does on a mediocre Colorado team.

13 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So what's the problem? That's more than we know about Grubauer.

Point is, a veteran UFA was the right choice over giving up assets for a goaltender that may or may not be "the guy" going forward. I'm not sold on Grubauer. He put up good numbers on an elite Washington team, let's see how he does on a mediocre Colorado team.

I wasn't disagreeing with the Bernier thing. He'll be alright splitting time. Wasn't comparing him to Grubauer either. I just said I would have liked Grubauer as a Wing. If he did keep putting up the numbers he did, he'd be our starter for a long time. Goalies are often a crapshoot, even some veteran ones. All good.

50 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

IDK. I just don't like the name "Grubauer". Is that like German for booger? It's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Don't know why.

I feel like if Bowser from Mario had a son, he name him Grubauer.. Sounds like a Mario villain name too me.

3 hours ago, mackel said:

?

Bernier didnt know who Mandela was in an interview (mandela had just passed) and gambled that he was an athlete. He obvi lost that gamble and embarrassment ensued.

Anyway, IMO on Bernier, dont listen to leafs fans. They were hot to trot that he was the next big starter and ended up sour. Hes a high end back up which is why he got paid more than the other backups. His save percentage has been clutch throughout his career. Hell be the transition goalie from Howard to someone new.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Wtf? It's like one of those Mark Dice interviews!

Can't wait for him to give props to Rosa Parks for not giving up her seat on the team bus on her way to becoming the first Female goalie to play the NHL.