• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SwedeLundin77

Andreas Athanasiou Officially Signed 2 yrs. $3M AAV

Rate this topic

I like this signing.  AA is still really young and has shown flashes of greatness at times, but I'm more concerned with the fact that we only have $6 mil left to pay Larkin and Mantha and we're not really leaving any empty spots for Zadina, who, unless he has a terrible camp, should be on our opening day roster.  Is $6 mil enough to keep our two best forwards?  We still have a ways to go for this off season, so a trade could be on the horizon.  

I will say this, I'm not Ken Holland's biggest supporter, but the guy is getting things done this offseason.  Good draft, active in free agency, re-signing players.  I could be wrong, but I think this is the most active he's been in an offseason since the summer we got Hasek, Hull and Robitaille.  

2 hours ago, Buppy said:

Why have so many people turned on AA, and what universe do you all come from that you'd think this is a bad deal?

I'm not sure if a lot of people have really turned on Athanasiou. For me anyway, I just see him as one of our better trade chips. I really like AA, and I'm all for keeping him, but if we can trade him in a package for a young, top 4 (potential top 2) defenseman, I'm all for that too.

I don't think in any way that this is a bad deal. Even if Athanasiou plateaus and never scores more than 35 points, this is still a reasonable contract. I still think he has the potential to hit 50+ points, and if he does that in the next two years, this is a great contract, and he'll get a significant raise again in two years from now.

I just honestly thought, with the fantastic job Holland does on every single RFA, always signing them to a lower cap hit than I expect, that he would have came in a bit lower. I'm not sure why some think it's a bad deal, or that it will somehow lower his trade value though. If anything I think it raises his trade value. Good signing. I like it.

Yeah I don't really get the reason for the hate here.  AA has that special thing like Franzen had where he can all of a sudden turn it on and embarrass the crap out of your team and steal a game.  With more skill players coming in shortly I think its important to have other skilled players in the lineup for them to play with....If anything lose Helm, Abby or Glendening 

The "hate" for AA is that he is so far a one dimensional player and seems unwilling to round out his game. He's nowhere near as talented as Stevie Y was and yet he understood the concept of sacrificing one's own stats for the betterment of the team by playing a 2 way game. AA hasn't and/or won't learn this and he doesn't have enough offensive skill to get away with it. Plus he was just given a raise of more than double his previous salary. He hasn't done enough or proven enough to warrant that kind of salary hike.

All just my opinion of course, and I can only speak for myself. 2 years is fine, but it should have been 2.5 AAV max.

Not a lot of players are getting paid 3M+ that never hit 35 points in there career. AA should have nothing to complain about now and neither should fans that say the organization hates AA for no reason. 

I like what Holland has done with term lately so the $$ amount may be a little on the higher side of there worth by the slightest of margins but everything is managemable

5 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The "hate" for AA is that he is so far a one dimensional player and seems unwilling to round out his game. He's nowhere near as talented as Stevie Y was and yet he understood the concept of sacrificing one's own stats for the betterment of the team by playing a 2 way game. AA hasn't and/or won't learn this and he doesn't have enough offensive skill to get away with it. Plus he was just given a raise of more than double his previous salary. He hasn't done enough or proven enough to warrant that kind of salary hike.

All just my opinion of course, and I can only speak for myself. 2 years is fine, but it should have been 2.5 AAV max.

Yzerman was lazy and he sucked. Should've traded him for Yashin when we had the chance.

10 hours ago, 13dangledangle said:

Yeah I don't really get the reason for the hate here.  AA has that special thing like Franzen had where he can all of a sudden turn it on and embarrass the crap out of your team and steal a game.  With more skill players coming in shortly I think its important to have other skilled players in the lineup for them to play with....If anything lose Helm, Abby or Glendening 

When has he ever done that to be compared to a peak Franzen in his 2008 to 2010 playoff form?  

we have $6.1M left, add in Franzen's $3.9M and that is $10M

Ras - $894k

Zadina (ELC soon) $925k

Mantha $4M

Larkin $5M

Frk minus $1M (waived)

equals cap ceiling, basement dwelling lottery team. Bring on Jack Hughes.

Unless Holland still has a trade in mind, its gonna be a rough year with that D.

re: AA signing, its a good fair deal, I am an AA fan and am glad he got signed, but if he could be dealt to bring in Faulk or Trouba, then I am good there too. IF he stays he needs to be in the top 6.

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

we have $6.1M left, add in Franzen's $3.9M and that is $10M

Ras - $894k

Zadina (ELC soon) $925k

Mantha $4M

Larkin $5M

Frk minus $1M (waived)

equals cap ceiling, basement dwelling lottery team. Bring on Jack Hughes.

Unless Holland still has a trade in mind, its gonna be a rough year with that D.

re: AA signing, its a good fair deal, I am an AA fan and am glad he got signed, but if he could be dealt to bring in Faulk or Trouba, then I am good there too. IF he stays he needs to be in the top 6.

That's only a 22-man roster (with Franzen on LTIR), which isn't ideal, but manageable, at least to start the season if we're against the cap. But with Frk being waived, who is your other healthy scratch along with Witkowski (who I assume is moved back to D in your scenario)?... None of the guys you'd want to scratch (Glendening, Helm, Abdelkader) will be scratched. In that scenario I think the healthy scratch would come down to Athanasiou or Bertuzzi, which would be terrible. Either a trade (or injury) needs to happen, or there's no room for Zadina...

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's only a 22-man roster (with Franzen on LTIR), which isn't ideal, but manageable, at least to start the season if we're against the cap. But with Frk being waived, who is your other healthy scratch along with Witkowski (who I assume is moved back to D in your scenario)?... None of the guys you'd want to scratch (Glendening, Helm, Abdelkader) will be scratched. In that scenario I think the healthy scratch would come down to Athanasiou or Bertuzzi, which would be terrible. Either a trade (or injury) needs to happen, or there's no room for Zadina...

The inevitable

7 minutes ago, e_prime said:

The inevitable

Happens every training camp...

I just hope Zetterberg has one last year in him... I also hope Zadina gets a full year on Hanks wing... I also also hope Z senior helps Z junior win the Calder Trophy that he got robbed of 16 years ago, while Z junior helps Z senior hit the 1000 point milestone.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Happens every training camp...

I just hope Zetterberg has one last year in him... I also hope Zadina gets a full year on Hanks wing... I also also hope Z senior helps Z junior win the Calder Trophy that he got robbed of 16 years ago, while Z junior helps Z senior hit the 1000 point milestone.

Not that I wish injury upon any of our players, but a training camp injury to the right one certainly would help.