• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SwedeLundin77

Andreas Athanasiou Officially Signed 2 yrs. $3M AAV

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Andreas Athanasiou is not Alex Ovechkin.

Great counter. Completely misses my point. Your entire squad doesn't need to be two-way forwards. It's a myth. Bruins had one of the most defensively minded hockey teams and aside from winning the cup a few years ago kept miserably failing year in and year out while projected to be a top contender. 

We need our forwards to score. If AA wants to run a breakaway play with Larkin then by all means let him. If he wants to pull a Hull and wait for a pass then by all means let him. He has the speed and acceleration for breakaways. THAT IS HIS STRENGTH. 

Edited by kickazz

22 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Doesn't invalidate what I'm saying. His game is deficient in key areas and he needs to grow his game if he wants to become a cornerstone guy.

I am speaking in general terms to those who have questioned his defensive game. He doesn't need to backcheck hard to become a corner stone guy and neither does Mantha as long as we have enough of other guys doing it. This past season speaks volumes about our offense. We need offense period. And honestly, he's not even that bad at backchecking. People are making him seem a lot worse than he is. He's used his speed to cause a ton of turnovers plenty of times in our D-zone.  

He can improve on his cycling and playmaking but so can Dylan Larkin. These guys are still young. I've got no issue with AA currently being a middle 6 winger or whatever it is. If he was 28 years old then it would be an issue. 

I think Dylan Larkin set the bar too high and people subconsciously use him as a comparable. 

Edited by kickazz

24 minutes ago, Dabura said:

We all want AA to excel as a Red Wing. We need franchise cornerstone players. If AA grows his game, he could become something really special. I was disappointed with what I saw from him this past season, whether it was him singlehandedly killing power play cycles left and right, or failing to deke around a defenseman in a one-on-one situation, or being easily stripped of the puck in the corner, or blowing assignments in the d-zone. His career is still young and I would expect him to become a better player over the next few years. I want to see him become an unholy terror, a guy no one wants to play against. To become that player, he's going to have to work incredibly hard at his craft and not just count on his rush game to get the job done every night.

Let's look back at this paragraph in 2 years and see where he's at. 

Clearly there are guys who arent strong defensively who can still play. And If AA was as good as Feds or Ovie or Kane at scoring, it wouldn't matter as much if the rest of his game is lacking. Elite offensive talents can get away with that. AA is not elite. His offense isn't good enough on its own merit. He needs some other tools in his toolbox.

57 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Clearly there are guys who arent strong defensively who can still play. And If AA was as good as Feds or Ovie or Kane at scoring, it wouldn't matter as much if the rest of his game is lacking. Elite offensive talents can get away with that. AA is not elite. His offense isn't good enough on its own merit. He needs some other tools in his toolbox.

Perfect example of prematurity and turning on a player just because.

The guy has had one season actual season start to finish and it's "AA is not elite".

Written off. Ahh LGW.com baby. 

57 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

His offense isn't good enough on its own merit. He needs some other tools in his toolbox.

Outstanding. 

Zadina didn't score 50 in juniors, telling you now he needs to change his game up. You need at least 50 goals in juniors to be considered elite. You heard it here first. 

Edited by kickazz

23 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Perfect example of prematurity and turning on a player just because.

The guy has had one season actual season start to finish and it's "AA is not elite".

Written off. Ahh LGW.com baby. 

Outstanding. 

Zadina didn't score 50 in juniors, telling you now he needs to change his game up. You need at least 50 goals in juniors to be considered elite. You heard it here first. 

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/03/09/zetterberg-chastises-young-red-wings-for-poke-and-hope-hockey/

“We can’t play like that if we want to win games,” Zetterberg said. “There’s too much poke-and-hope by a lot of players. If you want to be a solid, good player in this league and if you want to win something, you have to learn to play the right way. Poke-and-hope might get you 25, 30 goals, but you’ll never win anything.”

Pretty much what I, and others have been saying. Doesn't make us haters, just true believers in the Book of Z.

Kickass just argues just to argue I don’t think he actually believes what he’s saying

Fact is the best offensive players in the league are still a hundred times better defensively than AA. Not to even mention he’s a 35 point player at this point. The whole argument is ridiculous. AA has a lot to learn on both ends. Expecting more from a player is not a bad thing

21 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Fact is the best offensive players in the league are still a hundred times better defensively than AA. Not to even mention he’s a 35 point player at this point. The whole argument is ridiculous. AA has a lot to learn on both ends. Expecting more from a player is not a bad thing

Nyquist isn't better defensively.  That's why AA is better than him. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

This.

I get the idea of wanting some guys to be aware of their responsibility while not having the puck, but at times with some guys it's hurting what they can bring to the table, and with AA it's his offensive potential.

This is what frustrates me with Blashill...He'll dump AA on 3rd/4th line with pluggers, and them promote Abdelkader/Helm to the top 2 lines...Makes no f-ing sense, but then again - it's Blashill.

“We can’t play like that if we want to win games,” Zetterberg said. “There’s too much poke-and-hope by a lot of players. If you want to be a solid, good player in this league and if you want to win something, you have to learn to play the right way. Poke-and-hope might get you 25, 30 goals, but you’ll never win anything.”

Because guys like Helm and Abby may offer less offensively, but they "play the right way." That will get you more playing time regardless of who the Coach is.

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Because guys like Helm and Abby may offer less offensively, but they "play the right way." That will get you more playing time regardless of who the Coach is.

And the right way is two-way hockey for everyone? That's stupid. 

Stubborn mentality is what will cost us playoff and cup runs. 

Edited by kickazz

22 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Kickass just argues just to argue I don’t think he actually believes what he’s saying

No. It just makes you a hater

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Even 'playing the right way' is losing them games because this team cannot generate any offense.

Because the team has a weak roster overall, that's why they're losing. If you want to rebuild this team into a winner, you have to teach the kids how to play before they can win.

7 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Image result for justin abdelkader stanley cup Image result for darren helm stanley cup

Did you not understand my post. I'm talking about the Stanley cup in present day. We lack in scoring. Abdelkader and Helm got carried by Datsyuk's 97 points and Zetterberg's 92 points.

You want AA to play defense when we don't even have good scorers. 

Edited by kickazz

11 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He should give that lesson to Nyquist. Guy gets swatted off the puck more than anyone. 

Edited by kickazz

Just now, F.Michael said:

And this is why I want someone else behind the bench (Bylsma would be a good start).

Blashill is nothing more than a Babcock wannabe.

I don't even have that big of an issue with Blash. He actually gives AA decent minutes now. Some people in the boards act like AA is worse than he actually is. From what I'm seeing this contract 3 million per year x2 speaks volumes about what the org thinks of AA's potential.  

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Damn, you might be worse at debating than Jonas.

We had the 4th WORST offense in the league last year. You need to learn how to look up some stats and information. 

3 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Image result for scotty bowman stanley cup     Image result for mike babcock stanley cup

Too weak. Thanks for proving my point. Following players were allowed to excell at their strengths and didn't play a strong two way game. In fact 2 of them were known cherry pickers.   

8448091.jpg

544765afa237e_brendan_shanahan.jpg

45248c46472e501e7d893e0b08981e04.jpg

Edited by kickazz

Just now, kickazz said:

Damn, you might be worse at debating than Jonas.

We had the 4th WORST offense in the league last year. You need to learn how to look up some stats and information. 

NO.

So offense wins Cups? No.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/its-possible-to-win-a-stanley-cup-without-superstars-but-it-aint-easy/

The Los Angeles Kings won a pair of Stanley Cups (2012, 2014) with Anze Kopitar up front and Drew Doughty on the back. Doughty is considered one of the best defensemen in the game, and Kopitar is an annual Selke Trophy contender as best defensive forward. However, neither player is a generational talent. Los Angeles amassed as much shot blocking, physical, defensively responsible talent as the law allowed, then sprinkled in a few players like Marian Gaborik and Jeff Carter for just enough offense to win a pair of Cups.

In 2013-14, the Kings allowed the second-fewest Corsi-Against (shots/shot attempts). It was nearly impossible to score against them. It was the same story in 2011-12. In fact, in 2011-12, the Kings also scored the second-fewest goals. The didn’t drive their Corsi through the roof with puck possession; they did it by taking away space.

The 2010-11 Boston Bruins had Patrice Bergeron at center and Zdeno Chara on the blue line. They too were a physical, pounding bunch who won a Stanley Cup and advanced to another Stanley Cup Final by preventing their opponents from scoring and finding just enough offense. The 2011 Bruins had average regular season analytics but caught fire late in the season and steam-rolled through the playoffs.

Those teams didn’t have a prolific scorer like Patrick Kane or anything close to a Sidney Crosby. It’s debatable the Kings or Bruins Cup teams even had a “Phil Kessel” type scorer.