• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Anthony Mantha Signs ($3.3M x 2 yrs)

Rate this topic

Great signing. I would have preferred to sign him longer term, but I knew Mantha wanted a short term prove-it deal, which is great to see from a young player. He knows he has a lot more to give, and I expect him to show it this season.

With that, we have $2.8M (plus Franzen's $3.9M) to sign Larkin. I'd love to see Larkin get 6-8 years at around $6M. I expect it to be shorter term as well though unfortunately.

Nice deal for Mantha, Even at 2 years $8 million would've been a steal.

27 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Me thinks Larkin will sign for nothing more than 5 years so he can test the UFA waters...$5 to $5.5 mill for 5 years seems about right.

No need for Larkin to test the UFA waters in a few year, If he can consistently put up 70 to 80 points per season. He will easily command around $8 million to $9 million per long term.

36 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Overpaid

:lol:

46 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Me thinks Larkin will sign for nothing more than 5 years so he can test the UFA waters...$5 to $5.5 mill for 5 years seems about right.

I gave u confused face cuz. I can't neg u.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Great signing. I would have preferred to sign him longer term, but I knew Mantha wanted a short term prove-it deal, which is great to see from a young player. He knows he has a lot more to give, and I expect him to show it this season.

With that, we have $2.8M (plus Franzen's $3.9M) to sign Larkin. I'd love to see Larkin get 6-8 years at around $6M. I expect it to be shorter term as well though unfortunately.

I like it to. And I think he earns a bigger payday in 2:years. Open up the checkbook.

52 minutes ago, Wingnut1989 said:

hope he can score 30+ this year

He had a hot start last year and then disappeared for like 50 games - I love Mantha but he needs to take a big step forward 

Edited by kylee

27 minutes ago, kylee said:

He had a hot start last year and then disappeared for like 50 games - I love Mantha but he needs to take a big step forward 

From December till the end of the season season he had 26 points in 54 games. Not too bad.

But yeah he had 22 points in the first 26 games of the season (October and November). He obviously slowed way down after that, probably because he's lazy and he sucks.

3 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Why on Gods green earth would you want to neg me - the most popular poster in LGW history?

You made me sad. :unhappy:

On the hand, I feel like Holland is a genius for signing him for so cheap. On the other hand, I feel like Holland is an idiot for only signing him to a 2 year deal.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

On the hand, I feel like Holland is a genius for signing him for so cheap. On the other hand, I feel like Holland is an idiot for only signing him to a 2 year deal.

Have you people not noticed that Holland's own contract is 2 years. He don't give a f*** if he leaving after that.

Seems pretty high for someone who isn't homegrown talent. :ninja:

Seriously though, pretty good deal to see what kind of player that he decides to become. If he continues to progress, those numbers will be likely to almost double, in his next contract. Of course, that also gives us the chance to see if he continues to take weeks off at a time, and becomes the "Lazy, and Sucks", whipping boy, which would then make him great as trade material. Because every team wants someone who is lazy, and sucks.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was hoping Mantha would sign a 7 year, $5.5M contract, and Larkin would sign an 8 year, $6.5M contract, taking them both through their prime years, and re-evaluate when they're 30. Unfortunately / fortunately, both feel they can get more after taking a short, bridge deal.

I'm sure Holland would have liked to sign Mantha long(er) term, but he said months ago that he wanted a short term deal because he feels he has a lot left to prove. He's confident that over the next two year's he will drastically up his production, thus upping his salary. You gotta love the confidence. Same will likely be the case for Larkin.

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

Have you people not noticed that Holland's own contract is 2 years. He don't give a f*** if he leaving after that.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just f***ing around, but that's not why Athanasiou and Mantha signed short term deals. Athanasiou hasn't earned a contract any longer than two years yet, and Mantha wanted a short term deal.

If Holland's sights are only on the short term and he doesn't give a f*** about the future, this team would be f***ed. Fortunately, that's not the case. If it were, he'd be trading futures to build a contender now, in hopes to go on one more Cup run. He's not though. He's rebuilding for the future, beyond the next two years.

I was hoping Mantha would sign a 7 year, $5.5M contract, and Larkin would sign an 8 year, $6.5M contract, taking them both through their prime years, and re-evaluate when they're 30. Unfortunately / fortunately, both feel they can get more after taking a short, bridge deal.

I'm sure Holland would have liked to sign Mantha long(er) term, but he said months ago that he wanted a short term deal because he feels he has a lot left to prove. He's confident that over the next two year's he will drastically up his production, thus upping his salary. You gotta love the confidence. Same will likely be the case for Larkin.

I'm not sure if you're serious or just f***ing around, but that's not why Athanasiou and Mantha signed short term deals. Athanasiou hasn't earned a contract any longer than two years yet, and Mantha wanted a short term deal.

If Holland's sights are only on the short term and he doesn't give a f*** about the future, this team would be f***ed. Fortunately, that's not the case. If it were, he'd be trading futures to build a contender now, in hopes to go on one more Cup run. He's not though. He's rebuilding for the future, beyond the next two years.

Ken Holland = Jonas Mahonas  

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I have the opinion that the short term deal was more a move by he and his agent to ultimately hit the free agent market quicker (2 years), with a much higher payout.  IMO-Mantha and his internal team know/believe how much of a stud he is, and his potential for the next 7-12 years.  They realize how young he still is, and that he still has some growing pains and development to fully adjust to the NHL game.  Hence the slump he fell into last year.  This slump I believe also pulled the offer $$ down on this current contract signing.  But again, they fully believe he'll be an offensive FORCE and highly coveted in the league very soon (especially considering his size).  This was a smart move by he and his agent.  Get great money (some believe he got too much $ on this deal) for a short term deal, and hit the market in two years where his value, by their hopes and speculation, will have skyrocketed.  Smart.

I'm not a big believer in pro athletes with very shrewd agents, doing things for good will and kudos.  Everything has dollar signs $$ behind it.

11 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

I have the opinion that the short term deal was more a move by he and his agent to ultimately hit the free agent market quicker (2 years), with a much higher payout.  IMO-Mantha and his internal team know/believe how much of a stud he is, and his potential for the next 7-12 years.  They realize how young he still is, and that he still has some growing pains and development to fully adjust to the NHL game.  Hence the slump he fell into last year.  This slump I believe also pulled the offer $$ down on this current contract signing.  But again, they fully believe he'll be an offensive FORCE and highly coveted in the league very soon (especially considering his size).  This was a smart move by he and his agent.  Get great money (some believe he got too much $ on this deal) for a short term deal, and hit the market in two years where his value, by their hopes and speculation, will have skyrocketed.  Smart.

I'm not a big believer in pro athletes with very shrewd agents, doing things for good will and kudos.  Everything has dollar signs $$ behind it.

I agree 100%, and said as much in my last post. Very smart move by Mantha and his agent, betting that he'll be worth much more in two years time (and he will).

I'd like to know who the hell thinks this was an overpayment though? He took a big discount, especially considering Athanasiou just signed the same deal, only $300K less...

I agree 100%, and said as much in my last post. Very smart move by Mantha and his agent, betting that he'll be worth much more in two years time (and he will).

I'd like to know who the hell thinks this was an overpayment though? He took a big discount, especially considering Athanasiou just signed the same deal, only $300K less...

A few on some other non-LGW forums, and I heard a local sports radio guy comment that the money was "a little rich" considering some of his struggles last year.

I love the deal from a team perspective though.  We got a great deal on him.  Let's keep him happy, give him a little rope, let him play, and let him go full on BEAST mode.

If he does have a few bumps in the road this year, and I hear any chatter about him going down to GR for any reason, I'm sending that person a box of bee's. 

1 minute ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

A few on some other non-LGW forums, and I heard a local sports radio guy comment that the money was "a little rich" considering some of his struggles last year.

I love the deal from a team perspective though.  We got a great deal on him.  Let's keep him happy, give him a little rope, let him play, and let him go full on BEAST mode.

If he does have a few bumps in the road this year, and I hear any chatter about him going down to GR for any reason, I'm sending that person a box of bee's. 

Those people are idiots.

There's zero chance he gets sent down to Grand Rapids. Zero.

20 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

Carpenter Bees! They may not sting, but those annoying things just keep coming back year after year after year tearing up your deck!

Come on D-Boss, give us that bridge deal!

Remove Franzen and (ugh) Z from the lineup and that makes Frk and Witko the healthy scratches giving way to Zadina and Rasmussen!

I love this deal for Mantha. It's a win-win for both parties. He'll get 30 goals in both of these years, then get his payday. Larkin will become our leader (once he signs) and then get his payday in two years as well! All while Ras and Zadina are still on ELC's, then will come their bridge deals!

Ok, ok, slow down...great deal for Mantha, lets get Larkin done and move on with a trade for a defender.

Edited by LeftWinger
spelling