• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Anthony Mantha Signs ($3.3M x 2 yrs)

Rate this topic

24 minutes ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

A few on some other non-LGW forums, and I heard a local sports radio guy comment that the money was "a little rich" considering some of his struggles last year.

I love the deal from a team perspective though.  We got a great deal on him.  Let's keep him happy, give him a little rope, let him play, and let him go full on BEAST mode.

If he does have a few bumps in the road this year, and I hear any chatter about him going down to GR for any reason, I'm sending that person a box of bee's. 

Not trying to take shots at you, but this is honestly the two dumbest things I've heard in a while. Absolutely no one in their right mind considers this contract an overpayment or considers sending Mantha to GR.

Everyone's aware Mantha would have to pass through waivers to go to GR right?  Would never happen

1 hour ago, Learn2LuvIt said:

I have the opinion that the short term deal was more a move by he and his agent to ultimately hit the free agent market quicker (2 years), with a much higher payout.  IMO-Mantha and his internal team know/believe how much of a stud he is, and his potential for the next 7-12 years.  They realize how young he still is, and that he still has some growing pains and development to fully adjust to the NHL game.  Hence the slump he fell into last year.  This slump I believe also pulled the offer $$ down on this current contract signing.  But again, they fully believe he'll be an offensive FORCE and highly coveted in the league very soon (especially considering his size).  This was a smart move by he and his agent.  Get great money (some believe he got too much $ on this deal) for a short term deal, and hit the market in two years where his value, by their hopes and speculation, will have skyrocketed.  Smart.

I'm not a big believer in pro athletes with very shrewd agents, doing things for good will and kudos.  Everything has dollar signs $$ behind it.

I get the sense that Mantha understands and embraces how this whole Being a Red Wing thing works. Be a good soldier, be a good teammate, be a good person, do your best, do what's asked/demanded of you, don't rock the boat (even if people in the organization call you out in the media) -- and don't go HAM when negotiating your second contract. If you can manage all of that and become anything remotely resembling a core guy, the Wings will take very good care of you.

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Come on D-Boss, give us that bridge deal!

Remove Franzen and (ugh) Z from the lineup and that makes Frk and Witko the healthy scratches giving way to Zadina and Rasmussen!

I love this deal for Mantha. It's a win-win for both parties. He'll get 30 goals in both of these years, then get his payday. Larkin will become our leader (once he signs) and then get his payday in two years as well! All while Ras and Zadina are still on ELC's, then will come their bridge deals!

Ok, ok, slow down...great deal for Mantha, lets get Larkin done and move on with a trade for a defender.

From a player's perspective, they should want a short term deal (assuming they have confidence in themselves). I don't understand from a management / fan perspective though, why you would want them to sign a short term deal though? I get not wanting to go long term on Athanasiou, but Mantha and Larkin? Long term would have been / would be the best for both long term in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I get the sense that Mantha understands and embraces how this whole Being a Red Wing thing works. Be a good soldier, be a good teammate, be a good person, do your best, do what's asked/demanded of you, don't rock the boat (even if people in the organization call you out in the media) -- and don't go HAM when negotiating your second contract. If you can manage all of that and become anything remotely resembling a core guy, the Wings will take very good care of you.

Ur right

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

From a player's perspective, they should want a short term deal (assuming they have confidence in themselves). I don't understand from a management / fan perspective though, why you would want them to sign a short term deal though? I get not wanting to go long term on Athanasiou, but Mantha and Larkin? Long term would have been / would be the best for both long term in my opinion.

There's definitely some question marks on Mantha still. Likely with his compete level, which was always the knock on him.  The first 2 months of last season he was nearly a point per game, and then that all went away for the rest of the season. That can't continue, and I think the Red Wings probably wanna see that inconsistency disappear over the next 2 years before committing term to him.

Larkin should be pushed to sign long-term.

37 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not trying to take shots at you, but this is honestly the two dumbest things I've heard in a while. Absolutely no one in their right mind considers this contract an overpayment or considers sending Mantha to GR.

Everyone's aware Mantha would have to pass through waivers to go to GR right?  Would never happen

I don't care...these are not shots at me...I'm not saying these things.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This guy does. But he's also in his left mind. 

21 hours ago, kickazz said:

Overpaid

Edited by kickazz

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

A bridge deal was probably necessary thanks to Holland's cap management.  Solid deal for now, but if he does explode like some expect it's going to cost a lot to extend him.

Enter Mr. Pessimism. 

Nice deal. Getting $3.3 now, he probably would have wanted way too much on a long-term deal. At 24, he's probably about as off as he's going to take, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about with his next deal. 

Early bold prediction, Mantha's going to be the next AA. I'll guess fans will start turning on him by February. Sooner if Ras and/or Zadina make any early noise. 

12 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Nice deal. Getting $3.3 now, he probably would have wanted way too much on a long-term deal. At 24, he's probably about as off as he's going to take, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about with his next deal. 

Early bold prediction, Mantha's going to be the next AA. I'll guess fans will start turning on him by February. Sooner if Ras and/or Zadina make any early noise. 

Bold prediction? I'll say. That'll never happen here on LGW...

17 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I've been calling him the new Franzen since the day we drafted him

Honestly surprised LGW hasn't turned on him already.

After the 2019/20 season is up Holland will re-sign Mantha to a bigger deal and let Athanasiou walk, for good reason, but I will ***** and moan that he shoulda chose AA over that stinkin' floater Mantha till the end of time. It's gonna be great.

58 minutes ago, Buppy said:

You'll never turn, I'm sure. Probably still think Brendan Smith is a great prospect with a ton of potential. 

But LGW will turn on anyone. Everyone, eventually.

The Red Wings ruined Smith and Jurco