• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

2018-2019 Opening Night Roster - Dedicated to BlueAdams!

Rate this topic

Ok, with the roster almost set (barring a trade for a defender) give us your best guess at what the opening night roster will look like and what line combos you'd like to see. It's a given that we'll get Larkin signed, I am going with a 2 year $4M bridge deal. Unfortunately the chatter about Z is getting too frequent, so I have to go with he is done. So even if we signed  Also, just because I have Kronwall listed in the #7 spot, does not mean he will be scratched every night. I just put him there because with his knees there is a good chance he may the guy rotating in and out more frequently than Jensen or Hronek, but he may play 80 games, who knows with him!

You could flip AA and Nyquist around, but I like AA in the top 6, plus he had great chemistry with Helm and Vanek prior. Other than that, I really like what our roster will (could) look like come October. It may not be Cup or even playoff worthy (yet) but it's moving in the right direction. (it also may get us about the 11th-12th from the bottom finish, and we know what that means, #1 or #2 overall! :lol: )

Edited by LeftWinger

Rasmussen - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Athanasiou - Nielsen - Vanek

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Frk / Witkowski

DeKeyser - Green

Ericsson - Daley

Kronwall - Jensen

Hicketts

Howard

Bernier

Svechnikov, Zadina, Hronek, Cholowski all in GR until the inevitable injury bug hits...

http://detroitsportsrag.com/dsr-sources-henrik-zetterberg-headed-to-ltir/

https://971theticket.radio.com/articles/report-red-wings-prepared-potentially-lose-zetterberg

I guess until it happens, it happens, but everywhere you look, Z is done...I mean there are some older articles floating around out there saying that he and Kronwall vow to play another season, but they say "injuries allowing." I guess he could still play one more season, but I don't like what I am hearing all over the place...and from legit sources too! When Kahn and some guys on TSN doubt it, then it could have some water to it...

Edited by LeftWinger

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

image.thumb.png.c8204a11a11653e0effe08bdc788720f.png

http://detroitsportsrag.com/dsr-sources-henrik-zetterberg-headed-to-ltir/

https://971theticket.radio.com/articles/report-red-wings-prepared-potentially-lose-zetterberg

I guess until it happens, it happens, but everywhere you look, Z is done...I mean there are some older articles floating around out there saying that he and Kronwall vow to play another season, but they say "injuries allowing." I guess he could still play one more season, but I don't like what I am hearing all over the place...and from legit sources too! When Kahn and some guys on TSN doubt it, then it could have some water to it...

Wanna bet on it...?

Anyway, not my lines, but here are Custance's lines from his athletic article (behind a paywall):

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Zadina
Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha
Vanek - Nielsen - Nyquist
Abdelkader - Glendening - Helm

Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Jensen
Hronek

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Rasmussen - Zetterberg - Nyquist

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha

Athanasiou - Nielsen - Vanek

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendening

Frk / Witkowski

DeKeyser - Green

Ericsson - Daley

Kronwall - Jensen

Hicketts

Howard

Bernier

Svechnikov, Zadina, Hronek, Cholowski all in GR until the inevitable injury bug hits...

I believe that Hronek has passed Hicketts on the ladder. From things I have read, that is what I feel.

"Rasmussen, to me, when I went out and watched him, if he does what I think he can do and that's make our hockey team, he's got a real chance to make our power play better," Blashill said. "He's an excellent, and I mean excellent, net-front presence guy with his ability to tip pucks, his ability to score in tight areas, so we should be excited about that. He wants to do that, that's where he wants to be.

"I think Filip Hronek showed the ability to run a power play last year in Grand Rapids. Filip runs a power play similar to me to a guy I just coached (in the world championship) in Will Butcher, where he's a very, very good facilitator. He shoots when he should shoot, he passes when he should pass, it's not super flashy but it's extremely efficient. Will Butcher was an excellent addition for Jersey this year. One of the reasons Jersey climbed in the standings is because their power play got way better and one of the reasons it got way better is they added Will Butcher. I think when you add certain pieces, it can really help. Now both of those particular players have to make our team, both those particular players - and I've told both of them, I want you to make our team, 100 percent, because I think if you make our team, it means you've earned it and it means we're better. If they do that, they have a chance to make our power play better."  - Jeff Blashill

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/wings-blashill-its-a-wide-open-roster-more-than-ever-before/c-298952646

I definitely don't think Z is done, despite the wild speculation on Holland stating the obvious.

The NHL ruling that Zadina was on loan to JRs probably hurts his opening night chances imo (assuming no trade to move out a roster forward is made) because going to the Griffins will still be seen as a positive step for his development. But I could see him quickly playing his way out of Grand Rapids. So I'll leave him off of the opening night roster but expect him up sooner rather than later. 

Also, I think Hronek will outplay Jensen and Hicketts for a spot in the lineup. Hicketts will start in GR (waiver exempt) and Jensen will be the extra defenseman until injuries hit. 

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Rasmussen-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Neilsen-Vanek
Abby-Helm-Glendog

Dekeyser-Green
Ericsson-Daley
Kronwall-Hronek

Howard / Bernier (60/40 split)

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wanna bet on it...?

Anyway, not my lines, but here are Custance's lines from his athletic article (behind a paywall):

Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Jensen
Hronek

I'd bet on it. Zetterberg playing that is.

I like these lines, but barring a trade or injury I think Zadina will start in GR.

I also don't see Hronek being the 7th defenseman. Unless there's an injury on defense, I see Hicketts as the number 7. Hronek is much better served playing big minutes in GR.

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I believe that Hronek has passed Hicketts on the ladder. From things I have read, that is what I feel.

Hronek passed Hicketts on the depth chart a long time ago. That doesn't mean he'll be on the opening night roster as the 7th defenseman though. Unless there's an injury, I fully expect Hronek to start in GR.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wanna bet on it...?

Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Daley
Kronwall - Jensen
Hronek

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to go. If he plays, that just means we'll have to waive Frk and we should still be good cap-wise if we can get Larkin to a friendly bridge deal.

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to go. If he plays, that just means we'll have to waive Frk and we should still be good cap-wise if we can get Larkin to a friendly bridge deal.

If Zetterberg plays (I think he will), and assuming there are no trades or injuries prior to October 4th, I think Zadina will be sent down, not Frk.

Maybe Hronek forces Jensen to be 7th D. If Hronek makes the club, it won't be to be 7th D, that I agree with. But if Blashil "wants" him there to run the PP, then he won't be 7th D. That'll make Jensen to rotate with someone. We can't keep saying the kids are ready, then send them to GR and believe that's a positive thing. Zadina anywhere but Detroit is not a positive. (not saying it he won't be in GR, because that is typical Holland(spout off about promotions, change and deserving kids, but demote them anyhow,) its just not a positive thing.) I agree that the Vanek signing was a huge indicator that Holland is almost certain Z is done. What may happen is Zadina and Z start in the AHL/NHL respectively and then by December Z can't go anymore and Zadina is here for good. That is a more sensible scenario than Z being done outright already.  But it does concern met that the team doctors are not able to say he is clear to play as of yet. Anyhow, we'll see soon enough! If Z can play, he'll play his heart out until he cannot play anymore.

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Maybe Hronek forces Jensen to be 7th D. If Hronek makes the club, it won't be to be 7th D, that I agree with. But if Blashil "wants" him there to run the PP, then he won't be 7th D. That'll make Jensen to rotate with someone. We can't keep saying the kids are ready, then send them to GR and believe that's a positive thing. Zadina anywhere but Detroit is not a positive. (not saying it he won't be in GR, because that is typical Holland(spout off about promotions, change and deserving kids, but demote them anyhow,) its just not a positive thing.) I agree that the Vanek signing was a huge indicator that Holland is almost certain Z is done. What may happen is Zadina and Z start in the AHL/NHL respectively and then by December Z can't go anymore and Zadina is here for good. That is a more sensible scenario than Z being done outright already.  But it does concern met that the team doctors are not able to say he is clear to play as of yet. Anyhow, we'll see soon enough! If Z can play, he'll play his heart out until he cannot play anymore.

You agree with who? I've never heard this suggested, and don't think signing Vanek in anyway indicates Z is done.

What did the team doctors say?

On 7/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You agree with who? I've never heard this suggested, and don't think signing Vanek in anyway indicates Z is done.

What did the team doctors say?

It's in the link I posted, but here is the comment on Vanek, just saying that his signing makes a little more sense now, if indeed Hank may be done.

Also earlier in the article it states that team doctors are not ready to clear him yet.

That is why I posted links to what I read. 

Edited by LeftWinger

It does kind of bring more light to signing a forward we really didn't need. Insurance. I'm not sure Holland is willing to part with what it would take to acquire a top defender, so I don't think signing Vanek was an indicator that a trade is coming. I think it was Zetterberg insurance. Makes more sense than Holland getting Faulk, Trouba or Krug.

Hope I'm wrong, because of D needs an upgrade for sure. 

Edited by LeftWinger

7 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It does kind of bring more light to signing a forward we really didn't need. Insurance. I'm not sure Holland is willing to part with what it would take to acquire a top defender, so I don't think signing Vanek was an indicator that a trade is coming. I think it was Zetterberg insurance. Makes more sense than Holland getting Faulk, Trouba or Krug.

Hope I'm wrong, because of D needs an upgrade for sure. 

Umm...this Wings team right now, I don't think there is any case to be made that Vanek was a forward we didn't need.  This team needs upgrades up-and-down the roster if we plan on competing at the highest level.  I'm liking where the direction of the roster is headed (especially in the past month), but we still have a long way to go.

20 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's in the link I posted, but here is the comment on Vanek, just saying that his signing makes a little more sense now, if indeed Hank may be done.

Also earlier in the article it states that team doctors are not ready to clear him yet.

That is why I posted links to what I read. 

image.png.be813be3b3d2371ef781991a6ea16124.png

image.png.0ef0fba8ced7d4da5a7432502b234cf6.png

image.png.b5c4d9522facf924a3b5ce4b5f4d554b.png

10 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It does kind of bring more light to signing a forward we really didn't need. Insurance.

Oh I think Holland would have signed Vanek regardless of Z

DSR seems pretty certain he's finished... I don't know if I buy that, better sources arn't reporting that to the extreme they are.

I think Zetterberg will definitely start and play most of the season, but won't be surprised if his bad back suddenly resurfaces around February if we are out of the playoff picture.

4-2-3-1   

Mantha

Nyquist -  Larkin - Vanek

Zetterberg - Glendenning

Kronwall - Ericsson - DeKeyser - Green

Howard

3 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

4-2-3-1   

Mantha

Nyquist -  Larkin - Vanek

Zetterberg - Glendenning

Kronwall - Ericsson - DeKeyser - Green