• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Which Goalie Will Have The Better Season?

Rate this topic

Goalie Poll  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

WHO THE f*** VOTED FOR MRAZEK? DEFEND YOURSELF

I did. Equal parts of me was A) Im an assh*ole and this is funny  and B) I would actually love to see Petr come in and become an awesome goalie for the Canes.  

Now I don't even for a second feel we should have kept him, but I do think hes a skilled netminder that IF he could put it all together he could be a beast of a goalie.  Hes 100% showed us throughout his (short) career that he can play some incredible hockey, unfortunately for us its been followed by the Mrazek that sh*ts the bed and lets every other damn shot in the net.    I hope he can put that game of his together and be the goalie he has the potential to be.

As for Howie and Bernier go, I think they'll be a great tandem.  Bernie wants to make a name for himself in Detroit and Howie just wants to stay the man here...Out of all the tandems we have had since Hasek and Ozzy I think our best was Ty Conklin.  It seemed every game I actually got to sit down and watch the dude got a shutout.  If Bernie is anything less then Ty Ill be surprised

Edited by 13dangledangle

2 hours ago, 13dangledangle said:

I did. Equal parts of me was A) Im an assh*ole and this is funny  and B) I would actually love to see Petr come in and become an awesome goalie for the Canes.  

Now I don't even for a second feel we should have kept him, but I do think hes a skilled netminder that IF he could put it all together he could be a beast of a goalie.  Hes 100% showed us throughout his (short) career that he can play some incredible hockey, unfortunately for us its been followed by the Mrazek that sh*ts the bed and lets every other damn shot in the net.    I hope he can put that game of his together and be the goalie he has the potential to be.

As for Howie and Bernier go, I think they'll be a great tandem.  Bernie wants to make a name for himself in Detroit and Howie just wants to stay the man here...Out of the back ups we have had since Hasek and Ozzy I think our best was Ty Conklin.  It seemed every game I actually got to sit down and watch the dude got a shutout.  If Bernie is anything less then Ty Ill be surprised

Ah the old hopeful A-hole defense.

To be fair, I hope the best for Mrazek as well. There's a very real chance he hits a hot streak again, and if Scott Darling plays anything like he did last year, Mrazek could easily move into the #1 position. Carolina is actually probably a real good opportunity for him. Weak competition for the net, and a very good defense in front. Hope he makes the most of it, it's probably his last chance to stay in the NHL.

As much as I love Howie, we really need Bernier to play well and be a good transition goalie for the next few years. Howard turns 35 this year and will start aging out most likely. Plus he looked fat this summer lol

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

On 7/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, NerveDamage said:

11 - 10 in favour of Howie, so far my vote is the tie-breaker

Fixed!

I like Howie and frankly he and Bernier are pretty even skill wise, but Jonathan is 5 years younger and has more to prove at this point...particularly after being bounced around the league like a pinball the last few seasons. I say he steps it up a notch and outplays #35.

27 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To start the season:

Jimmy Howard: 2 GP, 2.36 GAA, 0.924%
Johnny Bernier: 1 GP, 3.09 GAA, 0.875%
Petr Mrazek: 2 GP, 3.52 GAA, 0.841%

When will you Howard haters learn your lesson? Will it be a week from now? Thanksgiving? Never? Vote now.

I voted Bernier, and I still think Bernier will have the better season of the three. But yeah, Howard has been solid once again. He made two or three unreal saves last night that he had no business making. Mrazek has been trash. I believe this season is his last chance to make a name for himself, and unless he turns it around quickly (I doubt he will), this may be his last season in the NHL...

8 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Howard:

8 8 1 5 0 2 265 23 3.07 .913 0

Mrazek:

6 6 3 2 0 1 139 16 2.67 .885 0

Bernier:

3 2 0 2 0 0 78 13 5.06 .833 0

Bernier has been terrible.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Bernier after tonight's game:

4 3 1 2 0 0 108 15 4.21 .861

This is exactly why I vouch for Howard.

Young Mrazek hits the scene, and the immediate reaction of this fan-base is to completely throw Howard under the bus. But what do you know, Mrazek turns out to be a complete bust... did the fan-base learn their lesson? No, the moment we sign Bernier, everyone upvotes Bernier, the guy who failed to keep a job with the Leafs, Kings, Ducks, or Avs, as the next starting goaltender. Now Benier sucks too, but will this lead to anyone actually appreciating Howard? Doubtful.

It's s shame in my book. Jimmy has been a career Red Wing, gets little to no appreciation for his service, continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by, Yet NO ONE recognizes him for that.

I'd easily say Howard is average, but I'd also easily say he's the most unappreciated Wing.

Howard is most definitely average ;)    

I still think they should crank Van Halen’s “Top Jimmy” after a shutout win for him, or at least the “Oh, Jimmy” after a crazy good stop.

He is no Hasek/Roy/Brodeur, but he is a solid goalie.  He may let in a softie more often than we’d like, but when healthy he does a pretty good job overall.

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Young Mrazek hits the scene, and the immediate reaction of this fan-base is to completely throw Howard under the bus. But what do you know, Mrazek turns out to be a complete bust... did the fan-base learn their lesson? No, the moment we sign Bernier, everyone upvotes Bernier, the guy who failed to keep a job with the Leafs, Kings, Ducks, or Avs, as the next starting goaltender. Now Benier sucks too, but will this lead to anyone actually appreciating Howard? Doubtful.

It's s shame in my book. Jimmy has been a career Red Wing, gets little to no appreciation for his service, continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by, Yet NO ONE recognizes him for that.

I'd easily say Howard is average, but I'd also easily say he's the most unappreciated Wing.

Not really. Howard may have gotten more blame than he deserved the playoff losses, but he's been below average in four of the last five year. Mrazek was outperforming him early. From 13-14 through 15-16, Mrazek had a .920 save%, tied for 16th among goalies to play 30 games. Howard over the same period had .908, tied for 52nd. Bernier has also outperformed Howard in four of the last 5 years. Even counting his good year, Howard is 43rd with a .911 save%. 

Mrazek may have flamed out, and Bernier may be on the same level, but if we're being honest Howard has been below average for many years, other than one partial season.

I was hoping Bernier would look better than Howard, only since he's signed for three years. Other than that, it doesn't really matter this season. The team in front of them is s***ty, so their numbers will reflect that. Bernier looked awful until yesterday, but the team as a whole played probably their best game so far. Blash should play him a bit more, he's sitting too much.

5 hours ago, Buppy said:

Not really. Howard may have gotten more blame than he deserved the playoff losses, but he's been below average in four of the last five year. Mrazek was outperforming him early. From 13-14 through 15-16, Mrazek had a .920 save%, tied for 16th among goalies to play 30 games. Howard over the same period had .908, tied for 52nd. Bernier has also outperformed Howard in four of the last 5 years. Even counting his good year, Howard is 43rd with a .911 save%. 

Mrazek may have flamed out, and Bernier may be on the same level, but if we're being honest Howard has been below average for many years, other than one partial season.

Howard could be well above average, and this fanbase will still root for the guy behind him.

31 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Howard could be well above average, and this fanbase will still root for the guy behind him.

Maybe not now, after several years of mediocrity. But he already was well above average early in his career, and that didn't happen. No one was rooting for Gustavsson or MacDonald or Conklin or even Osgood. When people hopped on the Mrazek bandwagon, he was performing significantly better than Howard. By your own logic, supporting Mrazek is exactly what we should have done. Bernier has also outperformed Howard in 4 of the last 5 seasons. What is so unjust about people thinking he'll continue to do so?

5 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Maybe not now, after several years of mediocrity. But he already was well above average early in his career, and that didn't happen. No one was rooting for Gustavsson or MacDonald or Conklin or even Osgood. When people hopped on the Mrazek bandwagon, he was performing significantly better than Howard. By your own logic, supporting Mrazek is exactly what we should have done. Bernier has also outperformed Howard in 4 of the last 5 seasons. What is so unjust about people thinking he'll continue to do so?

Yet, we still had flame wars about Howard and talks of replacing him.

I was on the Mrazek fan bus too for a good while. I think I was the very first person off it though.

Because they're wrong

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yet, we still had flame wars about Howard and talks of replacing him.

I was on the Mrazek fan bus too for a good while. I think I was the very first person off it though.

Because they're wrong

No more than expected from a team without an elite goalie that's losing in the 1st and 2nd round. 

Then why'd you call everyone out for doing it?

But you were just arguing that our support should be based on performance. You might have a point if the thread was just started, but this started before the season. By your own logic, we should have been Team Bernie. So why weren't you behind him when your logic says he deserved it, and are you going to switch allegiances if his stats surpass Howard's at some point?

2 minutes ago, Buppy said:

No more than expected from a team without an elite goalie that's losing in the 1st and 2nd round. 

Then why'd you call everyone out for doing it?

But you were just arguing that our support should be based on performance. You might have a point if the thread was just started, but this started before the season. By your own logic, we should have been Team Bernie. So why weren't you behind him when your logic says he deserved it, and are you going to switch allegiances if his stats surpass Howard's at some point?

Clearly Holland's fault

Because I didn't throw Howard under the bus

Nah son, I argued that Howard continually beats out his rival backup and that he is an underappreciated Red Wing. But since we're doing this, yes support should be based on performance. And by that logic I would still be Team Howard. He's had the better career. Now, if Bernier's stats surpass Howard's at some point this season, then I still won't switch allegiances, because I ain't no opinion-changin' lil *****.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nah son, I argued that Howard continually beats out his rival backup and that he is an underappreciated Red Wing. But since we're doing this, yes support should be based on performance. And by that logic I would still be Team Howard. He's had the better career. Now, if Bernier's stats surpass Howard's at some point this season, then I still won't switch allegiances, because I ain't no opinion-changin' lil *****.

Ok, it's not about performance, it's about being appreciated... for performance, which it isn't about. But you're wrong anyway.

10-11 MacDonald outperformed him. 13-14 Gustavsson was only marginally below, and Mrazek better in his handful of games. The next two seasons Mrazek was better by a decent margin. Even last year Mrazek was about the same with the Wings. All in all, Howard has only been notably better in 4 out of 9 years, worse in 3, and 2 about the same. And Bernier and Howard have similar career numbers, with Bernier better recently aside from Jimmy's fluke 16-17 year.

Stop clinging to s*** Howard did 6+ years ago. Even if he was unfairly criticized back then, and even if Bernier isn't any better, we should still be looking for a replacement.

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

Ok, it's not about performance, it's about being appreciated... for performance, which it isn't about. But you're wrong anyway.

10-11 MacDonald outperformed him. 13-14 Gustavsson was only marginally below, and Mrazek better in his handful of games. The next two seasons Mrazek was better by a decent margin. Even last year Mrazek was about the same with the Wings. All in all, Howard has only been notably better in 4 out of 9 years, worse in 3, and 2 about the same. And Bernier and Howard have similar career numbers, with Bernier better recently aside from Jimmy's fluke 16-17 year.

Stop clinging to s*** Howard did 6+ years ago. Even if he was unfairly criticized back then, and even if Bernier isn't any better, we should still be looking for a replacement.

I'm sorry that you had trouble reading my original posts, I've posted them both again for you below (combined)

First full paragraph: I guess what I was trying to go for here was "Look how you were all wrong about Mrazek, and now Bernier, this fanbase doesn't appreciate Howard, you'd think ya'll would have learned better by now, haha go Jimmy" and you'll notice in the last sentence there I included a clue that lets you know I'm speaking about the "appreciation" for Jimmy Howard.

Now Benier sucks too, but will this lead to anyone actually appreciating Howard? Doubtful.

Did you spot it yet?

How about now?

Now Benier sucks too, but will this lead to anyone actually appreciating Howard? Doubtful.

Truly a dead give away once you spot it!

Second little mini paragraph: Here I was more or less trying to convey that Howard has always ended up winning the starting job during his time here, and that no one recognizes or appreciates him for that. The key with this one, and how you know I'm speaking about the appreciation for Howard, is another sneaky lil clue I included.

Jimmy has been a career Red Wing, gets little to no appreciation for his service, continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by, Yet NO ONE recognizes him for that.

Have trouble seeing it?

Try now

Jimmy has been a career Red Wing, gets little to no appreciation for his service, continually outperforms the other goalies this fanbase swears by, Yet NO ONE recognizes him for that.

That's a tough one, I can see how you missed that one

Next:

I forget what I meant here... performance or appreciation... I did say he was average I guess, that's kinda about his performance I guess... WAIT! THERE IT IS.

Almost missed it myself. I guess I musta been trying to say he's unappreciated or something.

Lastly:

Easy one. I meant something along the lines of "no matter what Howard does, he will still be unappreciated"

Seems like this whole concept of "appreciation" might be a theme I got going here, but DON'T WORRY, I can TOTALLY see how you got "performance" out of all that. I did type the word "outperforms" once, and basically didn't talk about it all.

On to the blue,

Not sure what you're trying to prove here. Are you trying to suggest Gustavsson, MacDonald, and Mrazek are better goalies than Howard based on stats? I wouldn't make that case, but I implore you to do so if you like. Again, I'm STILL team Howard, even if you want to pigeon hole this into stats. Howard has better career totals in GAA and SV% than Bernier. I won't break that one down for you, I trust you can look that up.

Your kinda just proving my point here. You know the one about how no one appreciates Howard and everyone's always rooting for the next guy.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

53 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Isn't this whole conversation kinda like arguing which Dixie Chick is the hottest. I mean, they're all pretty average.

Pretty average? So your assessing them based on performance? By that logic you'd have to say the 1999 "FLY" tour was pretty average as well. We'll you'd be wrong there pal, because as you can see, based on box office sales that year, they had one of the hottest country performances of all......