• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
13dangledangle

-RIP- Ray Emery drowns at 35 years old

Rate this topic

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/former-nhl-goaltender-ray-emery-dead-35-drowning-accident/

Sad news out of Hamilton this morning.  Apparently Emery was swimming with friends around 6:00am this morning, dove in and never resurfaced.  Thoughts are with his friends and family.   

1 hour ago, Euro_Twins said:

Nobody went in to help him? How do you not resurface? I know the details are spotty right now, but it seems odd.  

I agree, things are being kept very vague at the moment.  Just that he was on a vessel in the harbour, other people (friends) were also with him and he went for a swim jumping off the boat which he never came up from.  They will rely on the coroners findings as well as the statements from all friends on board his boat, as around 5:00 this evening they still needed to talk to more people who were with him at the time-which also seemed odd that they didn't stick around to give their story.  

My brother almost drowned last year. Someone saw him last second and helped him. Sometimes people aren't watching and all it takes is 10-20 seconds and you're under and it's too late. I assume something like that happened with Emery.

6 hours ago, F.Michael said:

My 1st thought as well (knocking him unconscious, or possibly a spinal cord injury)...Autopsy will reveal what happened.

My boys are in year-round swim lessons...Nothing intense, but it's a great skill to be competent in, and also great exercise.

I think everyone should do swimming lessons early in life. I did at a young age, and live in the water all summer, whether it's swimming or water sports. I certainly will have my children in lessons at a very young age.

In saying that, you can be the best swimmer in the world and still drown. My grandfather was a great swimmer, but jumped in the water one evening (it'll be 20 years in a couple months), hit his head and drowned. I'm assuming something similar happened to Emery... I think everyone should know how to swim, but more importantly, any time you do go for a swim you should have reliable, able swimmers with you. Unfortunately my pop didn't. It's still unknown whether Ray did or not...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I think everyone should do swimming lessons early in life. I did at a young age, and live in the water all summer, whether it's swimming or water sports. I certainly will have my children in lessons at a very young age.

In saying that, you can be the best swimmer in the world and still drown. My grandfather was a great swimmer, but jumped in the water one evening (it'll be 20 years in a couple months), hit his head and drowned. I'm assuming something similar happened to Emery... I think everyone should know how to swim, but more importantly, any time you do go for a swim you should have reliable, able swimmers with you. Unfortunately my pop didn't. It's still unknown whether Ray did or not...

Agreed, I put my daughter into swimming lessons before she could walk and eight years later its turned into a huge passion of hers.

Water can just be so unpredictable.  I had a friend who drowned in highschool at the mouth of our harbour,  he was a good swimmer but got caught a current and it took him right under and was found 3 days later washed up on the beach-by his dad of all people, it was a heartbreaking ordeal.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:10 AM, krsmith17 said:

I agree wholeheartedly as a former swim lesson instructor and lifeguard.  And as you say, even the best swimmers shouldn’t swim alone.

The Emery tragedy was felt locally as he was loved in this area when he tended the goal for the B-Sens.