• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

2018 Prospect Tournament and Training Camp

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Rasmussen's in front of the net on the first PP unit on opening night. That's one of the reasons why I'm thinking Mantha could -- and maybe should -- be moved to the wall or the high slot on the first unit.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/wings-blashill-its-a-wide-open-roster-more-than-ever-before/c-298952646

"Rasmussen, to me, when I went out and watched him, if he does what I think he can do and that's make our hockey team, he's got a real chance to make our power play better," Blashill said. "He's an excellent, and I mean excellent, net-front presence guy with his ability to tip pucks, his ability to score in tight areas, so we should be excited about that. He wants to do that, that's where he wants to be.

That's pretty high praise for a teenager who's never played a single game of pro hockey. Clearly he has big plans for the big guy.

Exactly my thinking. Couple that with Mantha being more of a playmaker on the PP throughout his career, and I think you have enough logic to justify moving Mantha to the wall or top circle. Again, not a must, just an idea.

Rasmussen
Larkin  Nyquist  Mantha
Green

Vanek
Nielsen  Athanasiou  Zadina
Hronek

I'd be cool with giving that a try. But, yeah, I think everyone here can agree that we have a lot of different options and there's probably going to be some trial and error tweaking over the course of the season.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Rasmussen
Larkin  Nyquist  Mantha
Green

Vanek
Hronek

I'd be cool with giving that a try. But, yeah, I think everyone here can agree that we have a lot of different options and there's probably going to be some trial and error tweaking over the course of the season.

I like dat setup, I'd go with this opening day:

Mantha
Vanek  Larkin  Zadina
Green

Rasmussen
Frk  Athanasiou  Nyquist
Hronek

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Rasmussen
Larkin  Nyquist  Mantha
Green

Vanek
Hronek

I'd like to see...

Rasmussen

Vanek - Larkin - Mantha

Green

Berruzzi

Nyquist - Nielsen - Zadina

Hronek

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Again, I don't think anyone claims Blashill is wasting Mantha, just that he may have that tools to also excel in another role, especially with guys like Rasmussen joining the team who play similar net-front roles as Mantha does now.

At least two of you think that...because you said so explicitly.

On 8/16/2018 at 7:41 AM, krsmith17 said:

None of this makes any sense whatsoever... Where did I say that Nyquist, Vanek, Nielsen or Zetterberg are equitant to Abby? I didn't. Where did I say I'd rather have Abby on the power-play over Zadina? I didn't. Same ol' Buppy. Can't win an argument so start trying to force false narratives. You do it every f***ing time. You either try to put words in my mouth (see above), or spin the argument into something completely irrelevant to the main point. Main point - where Mantha should play on the power-play. What you focus on - everything else... I think Mantha should play up high on the power-play to better utilize his shot, and I think it's a waste of his talent to strictly play him down low / in front of the net. You disagree, which I'm fine with. But you have to spend hours / pages trying to prove why my opinion is wrong... It's absurd.

Like here. 

On 8/16/2018 at 11:11 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think a key point to the Net-Front/Outside-Shooter debate, and disagree with me if I'm wrong, is that there's a much lower threshold of talent needed to be a net-front guy. I say talent in the traditional sense (passing/skating/shooting/dangles/hockeyIQ). Look at Holmstrom and Abby. Not the most talented players of all time by any means. Probably both bottom 6ers if not utilized in niche roles.

Talent for the net-front role is different. As a net front guy you just gotta preferably be on the larger side, strong, aggressive or at least willing to take abuse, and hopefully have some hand-eye coordination to get your blade on a flying puck once in awhile. These players are a lot more easy to come by than top flight talented players, and the role is easier to fill.

In that sense I think it can feel like Mantha's talent is being wasted as the net front-guy. Especially if you have a high opinion of his other talents. There's an argument to be made that you should move the talented guy to the outside where he can snipe/skate/play-make, and insert an Abdlkader/Bertuzzi/Rasmussen/Smith type player down low instead. And that argument is helped by the fact that Rasmussen, a very talented player who's made his home in front of the net, is likely entering the team.

Like Dabura said, our PP blows chunks right now, therefore I'm all open to experimentation. I'd love to see Mantha forced to play a variety of roles on the PP.

And here.

Edited by kipwinger

24 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

At least two of you think that...because you said so explicitly.

Like here. 

And here.

"In that sense I think it can feel like Mantha's talent is being wasted as the net front-guy."

You're really going to extrapolate from that, that my opinion is Mantha is being wasted in front of the net...?

You're reaching awfully far. In the very same post I state my opinion, which is that I'm open to playing Mantha in a variety of roles.

You're awfully desperate to misconstrue my POV and shoot me down. It's bizarre really. You know what my opinion is on Mantha, I've stated it numerous times throughout this thread. Why don't you comment on that?

I'll let KrSmith speak for himself.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"In that sense I think it can feel like Mantha's talent is being wasted as the net front-guy."

Your really going to extrapolate from that, that my opinion is Mantha is being wasted in front of the net...?

You're reaching awfully far. In the very same post I state my opinion, which is that I'm open to playing Mantha in a variety of roles.

You're awfully desperate to put words in my mouth to try and shoot me down. It's bizarre. You know what my opinion is on Mantha, I've stated it numerous times throughout this thread. Why don't you comment on that?

I'll let KrSmith speak for himself.

What a goof I am for assuming you "thought" his talent was being wasted when in reality you "think it feels" like his talent is being wasted.  It was a real stretch on my part.

32 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

What a goof I am for assuming you "thought" his talent was being wasted when in reality you "think it feels" like his talent is being wasted.  It was a real stretch on my part.

You are correct. Big stretch. There's a rather large difference between "I think Mantha's talents are being wasted" and explaining why one thinks it can feel like Mantha's talents are being wasted. The latter implies Mantha's talents aren't being wasted at all.

You're smarter than this.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You are correct. Big stretch. There's a rather large difference between "I think Mantha's talents are being wasted" and explaining why one thinks it can feel like Mantha's are being wasted. The former implies Mantha's talents aren't being wasted at all.

You're smarter than this.

My bad, I was genuinely confused and so I misread your position on this.  All this time you were saying that A) there's nothing wrong with Mantha's deployment on the powerplay, B) he's successful at it, C) his talent isn't wasted, and D) you're fine with that? 

Ok then, I agree.

Edit:  Also, I think you're getting former and latter mixed up in the post above. 

Edited by kipwinger

5 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

My bad, I was genuinely confused and so I misread your position on this.  All this time you were saying that A) there's nothing wrong with Mantha's deployment on the powerplay, B) he's successful at it, C) his talent isn't wasted, and D) you're fine with that? 

Ok then, I agree.

Edit:  Also, I think you're getting former and latter mixed up in the post above. 

I had a couple missing words too. Think I fixed them all now.

36 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Guess I'll write this here,  but for those of you with an Athletic subscription there's a really good write up on Rasmussen today.  

https://theathletic.com/491908/2018/08/28/michael-rasmussen-the-once-every-10-years-kid-may-be-ready-for-red-wings/

Copy/paste for us bro-man

Day old, but I just saw this:

I wonder if AA at center lasts.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

Guess I'll write this here,  but for those of you with an Athletic subscription there's a really good write up on Rasmussen today.  

https://theathletic.com/491908/2018/08/28/michael-rasmussen-the-once-every-10-years-kid-may-be-ready-for-red-wings/

Great read. Thanks.

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Copy/paste for us bro-man

Basically just says that Rassmussen rules and anyone that didn't want him at #9 in the draft can go eat sh!t. LOL

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

"Rasmussen’s positive impression went beyond teammates. Tri-City general manager Bob Tory describes Rasmussen as “one of those kids that comes along once every 10 years.”

Also says Juuso Valimaki (1st round offensive Dman taken by Calgary) is Ras's BFF. Maybe Valimaki can be our new Zach Bogosian/Jake Trouba?

2 hours ago, brett said:

so are Rasmussen Zadina Hronek def slated to start this year as wings or is this just a LGW dream

Anything can happen, but...

• Khan, Custance, et al. have said those three will probably make the team if Zetterberg isn't playing
  • Holland has said he expects two or three (possibly four) new guys on the opening-night roster
  • It's been more-or-less confirmed that Holland and Blashill already have Rasmussen pencilled into the lineup

23 man roster:

Forwards from last season: Larkin, Mantha, Bert, Nielsen, Nyquist, AA, Helm, Abby, Glenny, Frk, Wit = 11

New faces: Vanek, Rass + Zadina (if Z is out of the lineup) = 14 forwards total.

Call ups: Svech, Turgeon

Dmen from last season: Green, DK, Kronwall, E, Jensen, Daley = 6

New faces: Hronek = 7 D total

Call ups: Hicketts, Cholowski, Sulak

Goalies: Howard + Bernier

Call ups: Sateri

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

23 man roster:

Forwards from last season: Larkin, Mantha, Bert, Nielsen, Nyquist, AA, Helm, Abby, Glenny, Frk, Wit = 11

New faces: Vanek, Rass + Zadina (if Z is out of the lineup) = 14 forwards total.

Call ups: Svech, Turgeon

Dmen from last season: Green, DK, Kronwall, E, Jensen, Daley = 6

New faces: Hronek = 7 D total

Call ups: Hicketts, Cholowski, Sulak

Goalies: Howard + Bernier

Call ups: Sateri

Yeah. Based on statements and speculation, this is looking like a safe bet.

I do find it interesting that Holland has, on at least two occasions, acknowledged the possibility that two young defensemen could make the team. Back in early July, he suggested that two young defensemen making the team could, conceivably, result in the team carrying eight defensemen. A few days ago, he seemed to suggest that two young defensemen making the team could result in him making a move (probably trading Jensen or waiving Frk). I feel like Holland doesn't make these comments unless he feels pretty confident that at least two D prospects are going to have big camps.

Everyone's saying Hronek has the inside track, and he probably does, but Hicketts is proven and the Wings seem high on Sulak. The latter is intriguing: 24 years old, two-way player, coming off an outstanding season in the Finnish Elite League, heading into the second and final year of his contract...

https://wingsnation.com/2018/02/16/libor-sulak-your-new-favorite-red-wing/

This is shaping up to be the most interesting Wings camp in ages.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Yeah. Based on statements and speculation, this is looking like a safe bet.

I do find it interesting that Holland has, on at least two occasions, acknowledged the possibility that two young defensemen could make the team. Back in early July, he suggested that two young defensemen making the team could, conceivably, result in the team carrying eight defensemen. A few days ago, he seemed to suggest that two young defensemen making the team could result in him making a move (probably trading Jensen or waiving Frk). I feel like Holland doesn't make these comments unless he feels pretty confident that at least two D prospects are going to have big camps.

Everyone's saying Hronek has the inside track, and he probably does, but Hicketts is proven and the Wings seem high on Sulak. The latter is intriguing: 24 years old, two-way player, coming off an outstanding season in the Finnish Elite League, heading into the second and final year of his contract...

https://wingsnation.com/2018/02/16/libor-sulak-your-new-favorite-red-wing/

This is shaping up to be the most interesting Wings camp in ages.

Which is why I am glad that I get to be there. :tounge2: