• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Dylan Larkin Signs ($6.1M x 5 yrs)

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Why didn't Athanasiou sign for 3 years $2M? It's still $6M, but allows for more cap flexibility. Athansiou's deal is not team friendly.

Zetterberg has nothing to do with Larkin's contract, and Larkin's contract has nothing to do with Zetterberg.

You're ranting about Holland lying about how many prospects will make the team, because Holland inked a contract with Larkin (a roster player) that we've been expecting for months? Baffling to say the least. 

How many prospects that are going to make the team never had anything to do with Larkin signing. It has everything to do with signing Vanek, Green and giving too much money to them. Now unless Z is done or a trade comes before the season, there will be no kids. Not even Rasmussen.

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

How many prospects that are going to make the team never had anything to do with Larkin signing. It has everything to do with signing Vanek, Green and giving too much money to them. Now unless Z is done or a trade comes before the season, there will be no kids. Not even Rasmussen.

Then literally why are you in a Larkin thread griping about it?

And I thought it was "so obvious" Zberg was done?? If it's so obvious then there should be nothing to gripe about...

9 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not team friendly At all. Thanks for the memories Zetterberg. Nearly exact cap hit as Z, so obvious he is done. If not, then Rasmussen returns to play with 17 tear olds and Zadina wastes his time in the AHL. I am glad he is locked in, but I'd of rather seen 6 years $30M, instead of 5 years $30M

Maybe Holland should have let AA walk to make space hmmm? After all, AA didn't sign a team friendly contract.

Maybe Holland should have let Mantha walk to make space hmmm? After all, Mantha didn't sign a team friendly contract.

You literally had almost the entire offseason to think about signing Larkin. It's pretty much what everyone has been waiting for for the past month. Now that it's here, on very much predicted term and hit, the sky is falling. What gives?

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Did I say I was upset with It? It's just not team friendly. But it is Z's salary, which, in order to have Rasmussen up, will have to come from LTIR. Franzen's is all but used up with this contract. If the plan is to keep Rasmussen in the teenage league and Zadina in the AHL, then Ken Holland blew smoke up all your asses because instead of having 2-5 new kids in the lineup, there will be ZERO. Not even on D. So what page of the Holland Guide to GM'ing is this on? Lying to all the fans and signing players we don't need. UNLESS Z is done, then there will be room for 2 new kids. But if Z plays, then no new kids. We have ZERO cap space, 13 Fwds, 6 D. No room for any new kids.

Team friendly is 6 years $5M, it's still $30M, but allows for more cap flexibility. Trust me, I am glad he is signed, and sure, it's a good term, but it would be better if it was the same money, less cap hit. 

30 million for 6 years of a player of Larkin's Calibre isn't team friendly, it would simply be an insulting low-ball offer. What color is the sky in your world?

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Then literally why are you in a Larkin thread griping about it?

And I thought it was "so obvious" Zberg was done?? If it's so obvious then there should be nothing to gripe about...

Maybe Holland should have let AA walk to make space hmmm? After all, AA didn't sign a team friendly contract.

Maybe Holland should have let Mantha walk to make space hmmm? After all, Mantha didn't sign a team friendly contract.

You literally had almost the entire offseason to think about signing Larkin. It's pretty much what everyone has been waiting for for the past month. Now that it's here, on very much predicted term and hit, the sky is falling. What gives?

The sky is not falling because Larkin signed. The sky is not falling because now Z is pretty much done. We're good, plenty of room for Ras and the New Z.

Besides all I said was it wasn't team friendly, but then again it is almost Z's cap hit, so it's a wash since Z is done. Then I went in to say, if he isn't done, then Holland blew smoke when talking about new kids. I'm more than glad Larkin has signed, I just wish, unless they know Z is done, it was more towards $5M. 

But hey, with Zadina on his wing, he'll be getting 90+ points a season anyhow!

16 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Are you for srs? For one, his contract is fine. Two, what good is having a "1D" when we'd have zero 1C's?

Larkin is a 1c on a bad team a 2c on a good team.  He's very Nazem Kadri like, with a slightly higher ceiling. 

Jesus Christ I guess some things cant  please some people.  Ive read negative comments all over social media about this signing and it boggles my brain as there is legit ZERO reason not to be excited for 5 more years of Larkin, and he could have certainly commanded more money if he wanted to.  Hes our guy, our future C according to most and someone we can definitely build a winning team around.   ….AND he is most certainly NOT Nazim Kadri, I haven't seen DBoss act like a ***** even once.

38 minutes ago, mackel said:

Larkin is a 1c on a bad team a 2c on a good team.  He's very Nazem Kadri like, with a slightly higher ceiling. 

I think that's his floor.  Which isn't a bad position to be in.  But I think his ceiling is probably a bit higher.  Especially when he's feasting on all those tasty Zetterberg minutes.  Larkin has room for growth on the PP, he's going to get top end wingers now, AND the team in general is going to start producing more as their defense starts to improve.  That should be good for another 15 pts.  The real question is, is Larkin REALLY the player we saw last season, a 65 pts. guy?  Or is he a 55 pts. guy?  Because if you add another 15 pts. onto that and you've got his ceiling.  He might end up topping out as a 65-70 pts. center, like Ryan Johansen or Toews.  Or he might end up an 80 pts. center, though there's really not anybody in that point range who I think has a comparable skillset to him. 

Also:  Kadri is really good defensively and Larkin kinda blows defensively at this point in his career.

Edited by kipwinger

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

The sky is not falling because Larkin signed. The sky is not falling because now Z is pretty much done. We're good, plenty of room for Ras and the New Z.

Besides all I said was it wasn't team friendly, but then again it is almost Z's cap hit, so it's a wash since Z is done. Then I went in to say, if he isn't done, then Holland blew smoke when talking about new kids. I'm more than glad Larkin has signed, I just wish, unless they know Z is done, it was more towards $5M. 

But hey, with Zadina on his wing, he'll be getting 90+ points a season anyhow!

Mantha and Athanasiou's werent "team friendly" either. Why are you singling out Larkin?

If prospects not making the team have nothing to do with Larkins contract, why are you in a Larkin contract thread griping about it?

Again, you had all offseason to gripe n moan about this, but suddenly Larkins contract has triggered you. If theres no connection, i again ask why youre using this thread to suddenly gripe about it?

5 hours ago, mackel said:

I'd love to see him traded for a #1D, with this contract it probably won't happen now... and that makes me sad 

5 hours ago, mackel said:

You would make for a terrible scout.

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think that's his floor.  Which isn't a bad position to be in.  But I think his ceiling is probably a bit higher.  Especially when he's feasting on all those tasty Zetterberg minutes.  Larkin has room for growth on the PP, he's going to get top end wingers now, AND the team in general is going to start producing more as their defense starts to improve.  That should be good for another 15 pts.  The real question is, is Larkin REALLY the player we saw last season, a 65 pts. guy?  Or is he a 55 pts. guy?  Because if you add another 15 pts. onto that and you've got his ceiling.  He might end up topping out as a 65-70 pts. center, like Ryan Johansen or Toews.  Or he might end up an 80 pts. center, though there's really not anybody in that point range who I think has a comparable skillset to him. 

Also:  Kadri is really good defensively and Larkin kinda blows defensively at this point in his career.

Your concerns about Larkins D are real. IMO he doesnt blow at all, i would say theres room for growth thou.

55 pt guy? Not a chance. His offensive gifts are well beyond that, i dont think thats even up for debate. Hes a player who should flirt with 80 pts in his prime. Hopefully he can match that talent level on D at some point. 

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

At 6.1 he better get more than 80 pts.

Usually 1 million per 10 points used to be the general rule.

McDavid makes 12.5 million and puts up 100.

Asking Larkin to hit more than 80 with 6.1 mill is absurd. He’s making less than half of McDavid and you’re asking him to produce only 20 points less. 

Edited by kickazz

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm curious as to what you think the average $6 million dollar forward gets in points each year

Not enough. Salaries are outrageous and out of control. I know it's "The Market" but it doesn't mean it's not absurd. I'm sorry, but IMO $6.1M is not team friendly. All the talk about he wants the team to be able to sign players and leave room for the team to get better. If $6.1M is team friendly, I hate to see what he was thinking about getting, $10M?

It's just like Mark Stone, in no sane world shouls he have gotten $7.3M. He's NEVER topped 26 goals, and he's only been there once. The Market is stupid and making it impossible to stomach the game, just as the NBA, NFL AND MLB has become.

But again and for the last time, I am glad he signed, never wanted him not to,  just wish is was for a bit less cap hit to have more wiggle room, especially if Z plays.

Welcome back Captain D-Boss.

Edited by LeftWinger

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Mantha and Athanasiou's werent "team friendly" either. Why are you singling out Larkin?

Mantha's contract absolutely is "team friendly". You might have a case for Athanasiou's contract, but I'd say he will outproduce his over the next two seasons as well. Once again Holland does a fantastic job on all three of his big RFA's. Would have preferred Larkin and Mantha with a few extra years each, but oh well. Not much you can do when the player wants short term to prove their worth, which is never a bad thing either.

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

Usually 1 million per 10 points used to be the general rule.

This.

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Not enough. Salaries are outrageous and out of control. I know it's "The Market" but it doesn't mean it's not absurd. I'm sorry, but IMO $6.1M is not team friendly. All the talk about he wants the team to be able to sign players and leave room for the team to get better. If $6.1M is team friendly, I hate to see what he was thinking about getting, $10M?

It's just like Mark Stone, in no sane world shouls he have gotten $7.3M. He's NEVER topped 26 goals, and he's only been there once. The Market is stupid and making it impossible to stomach the game, just as the NBA, NFL AND MLB has become.

But again and for the last time, I am glad he signed, never wanted him not to,  just wish is was for a bit less cap hit to have more wiggle room, especially if Z plays.

Welcome back Captain D-Boss.

You can't go by anything else but "market value" when evaluating a player's contract though. I agree 100% that all athletes are overpaid, but Larkin got what is the going rate in today's NHL. If anything, he's signed to a bit of a "hometown discount". You can be guaranteed that Larkin could have gotten beyond $6.5M on the open market. I'm sure there are several teams out there that's would have been more than happy to give him upwards of $7.5M.

$6.1M for the next five years will prove to be an absolute steal. He will become the next Red Wings captain during that span, and will likely re-up at another "hometown discount" (although higher AAV, due to him being a UFA and cap inflation) after this contract is up.

Yes, "Welcome back Captain D-Boss"!!!

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

At 6.1 he better get more than 80 pts.

LOL. Kane and Toews both put up less than 80 points and their AAV is 10.5 mil each. Larkin at 70 points at 6.1 is a great deal. Less than market value equals team friendly deal. Why is anyone complaining?

47 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

LOL. Kane and Toews both put up less than 80 points and their AAV is 10.5 mil each. Larkin at 70 points at 6.1 is a great deal. Less than market value equals team friendly deal. Why is anyone complaining?

Because Leftwinger has to complain about everything. It's what he does. 

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It's just like Mark Stone, in no sane world shouls he have gotten $7.3M. He's NEVER topped 26 goals, and he's only been there once.

What's with the stoney hate? Stone is all of 26 years old and in his 4th full season, you talk like he's late thirties and his career is winding down. lol

...and yeah, while Stone's highest goal/season stands currently at 26 he played only 58 games last season due to an injury and he was on a pace for 28 at the time. Dude is as a rock steady 20-25 goal scorer, a brilliant playmaker, and Stone is...ummm...rock solid defensively. Oh and btw Stone had an all time high in assists last year(42) despite only playing 58 games. Career, Stone is a .811 ppg hockey player(Larkin is @ .579). Stone got paid because he earned it...you just think all hockey players are overpaid.

27 minutes ago, solarion said:

What's with the stoney hate? Stone is all of 26 years old and in his 4th full season, you talk like he's late thirties and his career is winding down. lol

...and yeah, while Stone's highest goal/season stands currently at 26 he played only 58 games last season due to an injury and he was on a pace for 28 at the time. Dude is as a rock steady 20-25 goal scorer, a brilliant playmaker, and Stone is...ummm...rock solid defensively. Oh and btw Stone had an all time high in assists last year(42) despite only playing 58 games. Career, Stone is a .811 ppg hockey player(Larkin is @ .579). Stone got paid because he earned it...you just think all hockey players are overpaid.

Yup, Stone is going to look great in the Winged Wheel next season...