• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

Dylan Larkin Signs ($6.1M x 5 yrs)

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I think that's his floor.  Which isn't a bad position to be in.  But I think his ceiling is probably a bit higher.  Especially when he's feasting on all those tasty Zetterberg minutes.  Larkin has room for growth on the PP, he's going to get top end wingers now, AND the team in general is going to start producing more as their defense starts to improve.  That should be good for another 15 pts.  The real question is, is Larkin REALLY the player we saw last season, a 65 pts. guy?  Or is he a 55 pts. guy?  Because if you add another 15 pts. onto that and you've got his ceiling.  He might end up topping out as a 65-70 pts. center, like Ryan Johansen or Toews.  Or he might end up an 80 pts. center, though there's really not anybody in that point range who I think has a comparable skillset to him. 

Also:  Kadri is really good defensively and Larkin kinda blows defensively at this point in his career.

Kadri also had truculence...On a more serious note - I can see Larkin become a 70 plus pts center if he has quality wingers to play with.

21 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Yep and Zadina and Mantha should be those quality wingers.

Guessing Mantha winds up playing on his off wing in that case, which isn't ideal, but on paper that sounds like a dangerous line. We'll likely see that combination sooner rather than later if Z retires.

1 hour ago, solarion said:

Guessing Mantha winds up playing on his off wing in that case, which isn't ideal, but on paper that sounds like a dangerous line. We'll likely see that combination sooner rather than later if Z retires.

Agreed, Yeah i forgot that would put Mantha on his off wing. Don't really like that. But Mantha-Larkin-Zadina that would be an extremely dangerous line in the near future.

Mantha normally plays his off wing anyway, but can play either, as can pretty much any winger ever. Zadina is listed as a LW, though I don't know for sure if he normally played the left side or not.

But I would guess they wouldn't want Zadina and Mantha on the same line anyway. Only so many pucks to go around, balance is likely a better option.

18 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Because Leftwinger has to complain about everything. It's what he does. 

And you do what you do. Keep at It! 

If everyone agreed on everything, this place wouldn't quite be the escape from real life that it is.

...and yes, just like that robot lifer said, I do think players are overpaid, in every sport. Doesn't mean I don't get that it's just how the market goes, so it will be.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:42 AM, LeftWinger said:

Not enough. Salaries are outrageous and out of control. I know it's "The Market" but it doesn't mean it's not absurd. I'm sorry, but IMO $6.1M is not team friendly. All the talk about he wants the team to be able to sign players and leave room for the team to get better. If $6.1M is team friendly, I hate to see what he was thinking about getting, $10M?

It's just like Mark Stone, in no sane world shouls he have gotten $7.3M. He's NEVER topped 26 goals, and he's only been there once. The Market is stupid and making it impossible to stomach the game, just as the NBA, NFL AND MLB has become.

But again and for the last time, I am glad he signed, never wanted him not to,  just wish is was for a bit less cap hit to have more wiggle room, especially if Z plays.

Welcome back Captain D-Boss.

Keep grasping straws. There's literally nothing to complain about. It's like suddenly the team is doing what you griped about them not doing for years... rebuilding, committing to young players... and now you're forced to manufacture reasons to be mad. First this years draft, now Larkin's contract.

When is it no longer the teams fault and just oneself being insatiable?

On 8/11/2018 at 7:04 AM, krsmith17 said:

Mantha's contract absolutely is "team friendly". You might have a case for Athanasiou's contract, but I'd say he will outproduce his over the next two seasons as well. Once again Holland does a fantastic job on all three of his big RFA's. Would have preferred Larkin and Mantha with a few extra years each, but oh well. Not much you can do when the player wants short term to prove their worth, which is never a bad thing either.

This.

You can't go by anything else but "market value" when evaluating a player's contract though. I agree 100% that all athletes are overpaid, but Larkin got what is the going rate in today's NHL. If anything, he's signed to a bit of a "hometown discount". You can be guaranteed that Larkin could have gotten beyond $6.5M on the open market. I'm sure there are several teams out there that's would have been more than happy to give him upwards of $7.5M.

$6.1M for the next five years will prove to be an absolute steal. He will become the next Red Wings captain during that span, and will likely re-up at another "hometown discount" (although higher AAV, due to him being a UFA and cap inflation) after this contract is up.

Yes, "Welcome back Captain D-Boss"!!!

He said Larkins contract isn't team friendly because it's not 6 years 5 million. I said why isn't AA's 3 years 2 million? I don't actually believe that to be the necessary, just parroting dumb logic with dumb logic to shed light on the point.

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Keep grasping straws. There's literally nothing to complain about. It's like suddenly the team is doing what you griped about them not doing for years... rebuilding, committing to young players... and now you're forced to manufacture reasons to be mad. First this years draft, now Larkin's contract.

When is it no longer the teams fault and just oneself being insatiable?

He said Larkins contract isn't team friendly because it's not 6 years 5 million. I said why isn't AA's 3 years 2 million? I don't actually believe that to be the necessary, just parroting dumb logic with dumb logic to shed light on the point.

It will be ok, because as i said all summer, Z is done.

But you are just trying to start an argument. You know exactly what I am saying. The .market dictates these salaries, and the owners cause this by the prices they charge to even go to a game. 

You know I'm not against signing these kids. Despite "The Market" I just don't think the cap hit is team team friendly. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90's. So be it. But that doesn't warrant constant attacks on an opinion in a (failed) attempt to get me to fly off the handle and reciprocate your approach. I'm not the same person I was in the past. 

Again, despite my opinion, I'm good with this because it's a wash of Z's contract goung to LTIR. That'll give us $2.8M plus Franzen's $3.9M in cap room. That means The New Z and Rasmussen will be up and maybe Hronek,  thus making me even more happy that we are going in the "rebuild" direction. If Old Z were playing, I'd be a bit mad because then there would be no more kids this season because of the two cap hits.

But I respect your opinion and examples on how it's good. It makes sense. Instead of baiting and trolling you should just respect other opinions even if they don't support yours.

24 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It will be ok, because as i said all summer, Z is done.

But you are just trying to start an argument. You know exactly what I am saying. The .market dictates these salaries, and the owners cause this by the prices they charge to even go to a game. 

You know I'm not against signing these kids. Despite "The Market" I just don't think the cap hit is team team friendly. Maybe I'm stuck in the 90's. So be it. But that doesn't warrant constant attacks on an opinion in a (failed) attempt to get me to fly off the handle and reciprocate your approach. I'm not the same person I was in the past. 

Again, despite my opinion, I'm good with this because it's a wash of Z's contract goung to LTIR. That'll give us $2.8M plus Franzen's $3.9M in cap room. That means The New Z and Rasmussen will be up and maybe Hronek,  thus making me even more happy that we are going in the "rebuild" direction. If Old Z were playing, I'd be a bit mad because then there would be no more kids this season because of the two cap hits.

But I respect your opinion and examples on how it's good. It makes sense. Instead of baiting and trolling you should just respect other opinions even if they don't support yours.

So you respect my opinion and it makes sense, but I'm baiting and trolling you? Baffling. Try to spin this however you want, I didn't bait you into anything and I'm being completely forthright.

I'm trying to bring you back down to earth. I would love if you stopped "flying off the handle". I certainly don't encourage it.

"no room for kids" "not team friendly" if you're going to use either of these to criticize Larkin's new contract I'm going to check you every time. The former has nothing to do with Larkin, and the later is IMO extremely off base. Sounds like you're abandoning the former, If you'd like to discuss the later I'm all ears.

Happiest I’ve been as a wings fan in a long time. He has the physical talent to become a household name in the league during this contact. I am talking like top 10 guy.

as we put talent around him and build right; he will pile up playoff appearances and points 

6 hours ago, Lark71 said:

Happiest I’ve been as a wings fan in a long time. He has the physical talent to become a household name in the league during this contact. I am talking like top 10 guy.

as we put talent around him and build right; he will pile up playoff appearances and points 

It's seriously understated how good the kid is... and he just turned 22 two weeks ago.

He's like a young Yzerman in a way. The talent is all there, character and compete level all there, just needs to continue to round out his defense and mature physically and emotionally. Sky's the limit in my mind. There's an argument to be made that we haven't drafted a forward of this caliber since 1999 in one Zberg.

Note: I use Yzerman and Zetterberg as comparisons very loosely

But enough about Larkin...

droid.jpg

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Z doesn't return this season does Larkin get the "C" ?  I believe that he is the future captain of this team, but is he ready for that role yet? I am not so sure. I think I would give it to Kronwall this season and then hand it over to Larkin when he retires.

If Z quits on us,

C: Abdelkader
A: Kronwall
A: Larkin

2 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

The readability of this forum is getting close to zero..

It's @NerveDamage fault. He only posts memes, damn him.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

If Z doesn't return this season does Larkin get the "C" ?  I believe that he is the future captain of this team, but is he ready for that role yet? I am not so sure. I think I would give it to Kronwall this season and then hand it over to Larkin when he retires.

Kronwall will probably be captain.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I'm not sure if anyone will immediately be anointed the next captain if Zetterberg is placed on LTIR. If he were actually retiring (he won't), I think it would go to Larkin, but where he'll still be on the roster, I think they will give it to a more temporary placeholder like Kronwall. That or no captain for a year (which I hate).

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure if anyone will immediately be anointed the next captain if Zetterberg is placed on LTIR. If he were actually retiring (he won't), I think it would go to Larkin, but where he'll still be on the roster, I think they will give it to a more temporary placeholder like Kronwall. That or no captain for a year (which I hate).

If he is going on LTIR; really there shouldn't be a someone else as a captain. LTIR doesn't always mean the players is done forever and because of that he really shouldn't be losing the captaincy till the contract is up seeing as how he's would still be on the roster.

If he retires (he won't). It would and should be Kronwall; just like Kronwall replaced Z in the Olympics as Captain. 

Larkin should get it after that eventually. 

Abdelkader is basically like Kris Draper. He's just the lifelong "A" that will never be good enough or come close to being a "C". 

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Mabus is a sequel fan confirmed

Nah, worse, he's a Trekkie.

Also, we might go with 3 A's in case Z doesn't come back. Then Kronner will be gone next year, Larkin will defeat Abby in a Kal-if-fee and claim his rightful place as team Captain.

Edited by NerveDamage

27 minutes ago, kickazz said:

If he is going on LTIR; really there shouldn't be a someone else as a captain. LTIR doesn't always mean the players is done forever and because of that he really shouldn't be losing the captaincy till the contract is up seeing as how he's would still be on the roster.

If he retires (he won't). It would and should be Kronwall; just like Kronwall replaced Z in the Olympics as Captain. 

Larkin should get it after that eventually. 

Abdelkader is basically like Kris Draper. He's just the lifelong "A" that will never be good enough or come close to being a "C". 

Even when a player is injured short term, there are often short term replacements as a temporary captain. Not saying the Wings would or should do this, but I could see it, and if they did, I agree on Kronwall being the likely candidate.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Even when a player is injured short term, there are often short term replacements as a temporary captain. Not saying the Wings would or should do this, but I could see it, and if they did, I agree on Kronwall being the likely candidate.

I would assume Zetterberg will likely be the guy who gets the biggest say in who  the next captain would be. I bet he votes Kronwall, not because he dislikes Larkin, but because he seems the type that wants every young guy to grow into their roles further.

Edited by kickazz