• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Outside of Jack Hughes and Lafreniere

My choice as of today is Podkolzin at wing, with 2nd choice Broberg at D.

Who am I missing?

Lafreniere isn't eligible until the 2020 NHL draft.

The number two guy behind Hughes right now in my opinion is Dylan Cozens. I'd also say that Kaapo Kakko, Alex Newhook, and Bowen Byram are worth mentioning.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Lafreniere isn't eligible until the 2020 NHL draft.

The number two guy behind Hughes right now in my opinion is Dylan Cozens. I'd also say that Kaapo Kakko, Alex Newhook, and Bowen Byram are worth mentioning.

Gotcha, I'll edit my OP to take Lafreniere out.

Cozens is nice, but I prefer Broberg so far (also the name Broberg has so much meme potential, it's a can't miss)

Podkolzin looks like the next Datsyuk/Kovalev to me, which is why he excites me more than Kakko and others.

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Cozens is nice, but I prefer Broberg so far (also the name Broberg has so much meme potential, it's a can't miss)

Podkolzin looks like the next Datsyuk/Kovalev to me, which is why he excites me more than Kakko and others.

247.gif

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't know much about any of these kids other than Hughes and Cozens so far. Is Podkolzin the kid that scored the hat trick for Russia a couple days ago in the Hlinka?

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't know much about any of these kids other than Hughes and Cozens so far. Is Podkolzin the kid that scored the hat trick for Russia a couple days ago in the Hlinka?

Yessir, 8 goals in 5 games. I would say his puck control is unreal if I didn't know who Pavel Datsyuk was.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2019-prospects-rankings-mock-big-board-jack-hughes-payton-krebs-alex-turcotte/126u2582bkry413nlger8mihk8

Here is a prelim ranking for the 2019 kids.

1. Jack Hughes, C, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

Explosive center with world-class vision and the lateral quickness of a running back. Hughes was the top scorer at the under-18 world championship despite playing against mostly older players. He plays like a man among midget-level talent, and there really is no way to slow him down or stop him. The comparisons to Connor McDavid are a bit premature, but there are multiple similarities between the two.

2. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)

Dynamic center with leadership traits, game-changing speed and creativity. Krebs can be a stopper in the defensive zone and a scoring threat in the opposing end. He is the kid you summon to take all the big draws or deliver a game-changing play.

3. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS U20 Jr. A (SM-Liiga)

A puck-controlling fiend with exception hands, agility and vision, Kakko is a power winger who is impossible to knock off the puck. His close-quarter quickness and straight-line speed seem to always catch opponents off guard.

4. Alex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL)

Newhook is close to Hughes in terms of out-of-your-seat excitability, but he can also play a power game and wear down defenders with either his wheels or his strength. He chose the BCHL to maintain his NCAA eligibility and play for Boston College.

5. Bowen Byram, LHD, Vancouver (WHL)

Tough-as-nails defender with deceptive agility and puck handling who is earmarked for a top pairing at the NHL level. Byram is an outstanding puck mover who makes good decisions, but his powerful back skating helps him retreat in time to thwart counterattacks. He stands up at his blue line and rapidly transitions from defense to offense. 

6. Alex Turcotte, C, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

The opinions may lean toward Jack Hughes as being the NTDP's top center, but this talented pivot is strikingly close to matching his skill for skill. Turcotte's blazing speed, high hockey IQ and vision are good enough to at least place him in the conversation with his more-heralded teammate.

7. Raphael Lavoie, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)

Towering power forward with a rocket of a shot who can control the puck with bodies draped all over him. He had an excellent showing at the under-18 world championship and shoot see an increase in shot opportunities if Filip Zadina heads to the NHL.

8. Valentin Nussbaumer, C/W, Biel-Bienne (NLA)

Slippery yet dangerous stickhandler with very good speed and an assassin's mentality once he gets near the high slot. Nussbaumer is this year's top Swiss prospect and he was quite impressive at the under-20 worlds juniors. Nussbaumer can play inside thanks to rapid directional changes.

9. Dylan Cozens, RW, Lethbridge (WHL)

The WHL Rookie of the Year had an impressive second half, including the postseason where he averaged nearly a point per game. Cozens has a great shot and knows how to finish in a variety of ways, including roofing a backhander from in close. He competes hard in all three zones and creates separation in open ice thanks to his above-average speed. Cozens also can serve as a low-slot option on the power play.

10. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

A power center with smarts who plays a 200-foot game and has elite playmaking abilities. Dach is a strong stickhandler with soft hands who dictates the tempo of most of his shifts. His average speed is at this point the only thing keeping him from being in the conversation for first overall.

11. Trevor Zegras, C, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

Zegras was a critical player for the under-17 NTDP but it felt like he wasn't getting the recognition he deserved. One thing you can't overlook is the way he stickhandles and connects with teammates nobody thought were open. The way he spins and pivots away from pressure is impressive, and the way he can dish the puck makes him tough to war game.

12. Anttoni Honka, RHD, JyP (SM-Liiga)

Undersized playmaker from the back end who has speed, agility and hawk-like vision. Honka is one of the 2019 draft's top offensive threats among defensemen. He is very quick and nimble, using rapid directional changes, dekes and stutter steps to cleanly take the puck through a clogged neutral zone,

13. Nikita Alexandrov, C, Charlottetown (QMJHL)

Speedy German import with great hands and a nose for the net whose second half elevated his stock for next year’s draft. Alexandrov took a while to heat up, but he has the ability to finish from the high slot thanks to a hard, accurate wrist shot. He's more of a finisher than a playmaking center, but he's good on faceoffs and can run a power play.

14. Yegor Spiridonov, C, Stalnye Lisi (MHL)

A power center with top-line upside, Spiridonov wears out opponents with strong puck possession skills and a powerful shot. He can be matched up against any player, and his speed is good enough to make him a threat in open ice. Spiridonov is one of the few big men who can dish the puck as if he had eyes in the back of his head.

15. Mikko Kokkonen, LHD, Jukurit, SM-Liiga

One of the top junior-age defenders in Finland, Kokkonen is a poised, mobile playmaker with a high IQ who usually is summoned to take care of the tougher tasks. His skating ability allows him to carry the puck through or around traffic, but he'll only do it if the situation presents itself. Kokkonen isn't big in the classic sense, but he can handle opposing top players and chip in on offense with crisp breakout passes.

16. Vojtech Strondala, C, Brno U20 (Extraliga Jrs.)

Strondala has been a dangerous player on the top line at a handful of under-18 events, and for good reason. He has phenomenal quickness and keeps the puck glued to his blade during cycles. Strondala always is noticeable when he's on the ice and uses his speed and vision to make the most of his odd-man rushes.

17. Drew Helleson, RHD, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

Mature two-way blueliner with good speed and the ability to run a power play who is headed to Boston College in the Fall. Helleson at 6-2 offers the size you want in a defender with top-pairing potential. It's his playmaking and pass accuracy that when combined with his mobility presents the opposition with tough choices.

18. Vasili Podkolzin, C/W, Vityaz Podolsk (MHL)

It's easy to gravitate towards forwards you didn't expect to excite you, only to walk away from the rink asking yourself "who was that guy?". Podkolzin is one of those noticeable players because he works extremely hard but also finds a way to be involved in most quality chances for his team. He busts his rump every shift, so it's no coincidence the puck seems to always find him. He also owns a deadly shot.

19. Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

Strong defenseman who can skate and excel in either a shutdown or puck-moving role. Robertson looked comfortable playing in his first full season in the Dub, as well for Team Canada at the under-18 world championship. It's not common for a 16-year-old defenseman to earn the respect of his coach when it comes to late/close situations, but Robertson always was out on the ice to match up against top lines. 

20. Blake Murray, C, Sudbury (OHL)

Murray is a fast center with size and a strong all-around game who eventually worked his way up the Wolves' depth chart to become a top-six center for most of the season. He's excellent on faceoffs, can kill penalties and possesses both elite vision and soft hands to finish around the net. A matchup nightmare for opponents.

21. Ben Brinkman, LHD, Edina HS (Minn.)

College-bound puck rusher who accelerated his high school education in order to be eligible to play next season for the University of Minnesota. Brinkman is big, strong and mobile, but he also is an on-ice leader that loves to take chances when his team needs a boost.

22. Michael Vukojevic, LHD, Kitchener (OHL)

Smothering defender with good wheels and late-game reliability in all three zones. Vukojevic played critical minutes for the Rangers as they came close to upsetting the favored Soo Greyhounds in the OHL playoffs. But don’t label him as merely a shutdown type -- the kid stickhandles with confidence and won't hesitate to join the rush or pinch well below the circles.

23. Nils Hoglander, LW, AIK (Allsvenskan)

Smallish winger who plays at an intense pace and throws his weight around regardless of how big or strong the opposing player is. Hoglander saw a lot of top-six time on a deep Swedish under-18 team thanks to his speed, nonstop motor and advanced puck skills. He can wire the puck or connect with tough passes.

24. Matthew Boldy, LW, U.S. U18 (NTDP)

Another Boston College-bound draft prospect who can fill the net from the flanks. Boldy is an excellent skater with a hard, knockdown wrist shot, but he's not your typical top-line winger who thinks offense no matter where the puck is. Boldy is a very good checker who throws his weight around and covers up dangerous gaps created by wandering teammates.

25. Oleg Zaitsev, C, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

Wonderful skater with strong agility and edge work that gets him into prime set-up areas with regularity. Zaitsev was a top-six player for most of the year, centering either the first or second line. He has good size and keen vision, but he also lends support well below the circles in his own end. Zaitsev seems more like a playmaker than a shooter, but his ability to think ahead of time and properly rank the best options is what separates him from most 2019-eligible pivots.

26. Petr Cajka, C, Zug U20 (Elite Jr. A)

Big, strong two-way playmaker with a very good compete level who creates opportunities and keeps his head up at all times. Cajka is very responsible defensively and always competes below the circles to support his defensemen. He plays poised under pressure and uses boards effectively, especially in the neutral zone to trap overcommitting opponents. A jack-of-all-trades, Cajka is a center who is very good on faceoffs but also playa wing.

27. Vladislav Mikhailov, LW, HC MVD (MHL)

Big power winger with excellent footwork and quickness to get into shooting areas and wire home a hard shot. Mikhailov has an excellent very good touch around the net and consistently dekes both goalies and defensemen out of position.

28. Arthur Kaliyev, LW, Hamilton (OHL)

Kaliyev's size, high skill level and surprising quickness came in handy for Hamilton as they skated to an OHL title. He gets a ton of mustard on his shots and can pick the corners with little to no backswing. 

29. Leevi Aaltonen, LW, Kalpa (SM-Liiga)

Diminutive yet dangerous goal scorer who hunts for pucks and is willing to pay a high price to grab them. Altonen has speed and a heavy shot that keeps both defenders and goalies honest, so his pump fakes usually leads to a lot of bodies sliding across the deck. His combination of speed and elite stickhandling terrorizes unsure opponents.

30. Maxim Cajkovic, RW, Malmo J20 (Superelit)

This Slovakian scorer followed up his dominant season in Sweden's J20 Superelit with a ridiculous performance at the under-18 world championships. Cajkovic is pure offense from his shot all the way down to his fancy feet that deke and dangle their way towards premium scoring chances. 

31. Lassi Thomson, RHD, Ilves U20 Jr. A (SM-Liiga)

Another Finnish defensemen who likes to rush the puck and toe that line between smart reads and dangerous risks. Thomson looked solid at last year's under-18 Ivan Hlinka tournament and carried that play into what became a strong season in Finland’s top junior circuit.

I don't see Broberg in that list, but it is to be noted that Craig Button says that in his opinion Broberg will be the #1 available D in the draft. Here is his top 5:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Dylan Cozens

3. Philip Broberg

4. Kappo Kakko

5. Vasili Podkozen

https://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/video/craig-s-list-top-5-players-for-the-2019-nhl-draft~1459629

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't see Broberg in that list, but it is to be noted that Craig Button says that in his opinion Broberg will be the #1 available D in the draft. Here is his top 5:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Dylan Cozens

3. Philip Broberg

4. Kappo Kakko

5. Vasili Podkozen

https://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/video/craig-s-list-top-5-players-for-the-2019-nhl-draft~1459629

And Podkolzin made his list

Smart man Craig Button is

FREEP: Draper on 2019 draft, Zadina, and Rasmussen

Swedish defenseman Rasmus Dahlin was the prize of the 2018 draft. Philip Broberg could be the first defenseman taken in 2019. At 17, he’s already 6-foot-3, 199 pounds, and excels at breakouts. Victor Soderstrom is another high-ranked defense prospect; he had a goal and an assist when he suffered an injury in Sweden’s second game of the tournament.

“When you are talking about a puck-moving, elite-skating defenseman, Broberg was all that. Good size and it even looks like he has room to get bigger and stronger. He is going to be a fun one to watch for sure. He’s a player we need to know.” - Draper

Broman is my guy, I'm not changing my mind. Nickname potential is off the chain.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

FREEP: Draper on 2019 draft, Zadina, and Rasmussen

Broman is my guy, I'm not changing my mind. Nickname potential is off the chain.

If we cannot get Jack Hughes, absolutely we could use this guy! 

I think that the order I prefer is of those 5 is: Hughes, Broberg, Kakko, Cozens, Podkolzin.  Going to be real interesting to see how things change by June! 

But if we fall between 5-10 again, Alex Newhook would be a great choice!

explosive forward … at his best with puck on his stick … always wants the puck … plays with no fear … quick release … dangerous every shift, ISS Hockey 2017

4. Alex Newhook, C, Victoria (BCHL)

Newhook is close to Hughes in terms of out-of-your-seat excitability, but he can also play a power game and wear down defenders with either his wheels or his strength. He chose the BCHL to maintain his NCAA eligibility and play for Boston College

If not Jack Hughes, then Broberg. If we do not the #1 OA and the franchise player, we need to draft for need. We need high end D. Broberg is that D. Then sign Karlsson.

Here is TSN's top 20 at the moment: (warning, not good on phones! Sorry in advance!)

https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-leads-the-pack-in-tsn-hockey-s-pre-season-draft-ranking-1.1172382

Edited by LeftWinger

13 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If not Jack Hughes, then Broberg. If we do not the #1 OA and the franchise player, we need to draft for need. We need high end D. Broberg is that D. Then sign Karlsson.

Here is TSN's top 20 at the moment: (warning, not good on phones! Sorry in advance!)

https://www.tsn.ca/hughes-leads-the-pack-in-tsn-hockey-s-pre-season-draft-ranking-1.1172382

BPA  all the wayyyy baby

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

image.png.9bd610f2e77b10355452f42d45376783.png

image.png.c4ba42e12dab19ab8cee366dc73cf8af.png

image.png.d69e2f2f4313f8a6a47d470c8f5b0797.png

image.png.2d862fabdb8151944945d151a9fa3724.png

image.png.65969b25627cf9cbeb3204c661be41ef.png

image.png.45a608579fef769f24f74610468ba892.png

image.png.a370de70840f999db7ae54ec8c5e3104.png

image.png.d550ff1bcdf0d048c3952bd3005ce418.pngimage.png.3daef14a277522dbdd9b71c82ff45777.png

image.png.0841c88a17f3bc6e53f423c21b7faee9.png

Way too many 'Muricans :hehe:

Hypothetical question:

Detroit wins lottery, Vancouver wants that pick so the Hughes Bros. can be their stars. What is a real offer and what would you expect from them? Obviously their 1st round is included.

I'd want too much in return! Boeser, Horvat, Woo and 2019 1st, 2nd, 2020 1st. 

Or I'd see what they want to get Quinton on our team to play with Jack! I am sure they'd want a ton in return!

Edited by LeftWinger

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Hypothetical question:

Detroit wins lottery, Vancouver wants that pick so the Hughes Bros. can be their stars. What is a real offer and what would you expect from them? Obviously their 1st round is included.

I'd want too much in return! Boeser, Horvat, Woo and 2019 1st, 2nd, 2020 1st. 

Pettersson.