• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

2008 Zetterberg vs. 2018 Crosby

Rate this topic

40 minutes ago, Z and D for the C said:

08 Zetterberg had a better year but on the other hand he was playing on a line with Datsyuk. I'm pretty sure Crosby and Malkin don't play on a line together, but I might be wrong.

Crosby is playing with 08 Yzerman which made him better at not crying.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I take any version of Z over any version of Crosby.

Must be the Homer in you talking...  Crosby is a superstar and arguably the best player in the world.  Zetterberg was never either of those things even in his prime.  He was a star and a fantastic player but he ain't no Crosby.

1 hour ago, mackel said:

Must be the Homer in you talking...  Crosby is a superstar and arguably the best player in the world.  Zetterberg was never either of those things even in his prime.  He was a star and a fantastic player but he ain't no Crosby.

Yeah if Zetterberg cheated on defense he would have probably scored 100 points ever year too.  

But he actually had to spend time on the PK and actually backchecked hard

Edited by kickazz

17 hours ago, kickazz said:

Yeah if Zetterberg cheated on defense he would have probably scored 100 points ever year too.  

But he actually had to spend time on the PK and actually backchecked hard

Guys, really?  Come on.  Are we that blinded?

10 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Guys, really?  Come on.  Are we that blinded?

I forgot you love Crosby. 

But yea Zetterberg was the better overall player in 08 and spent time on PK. If he focused more on offense that year he would was scored more than 92 points in the 75 games he played. 

Its not even a debate about 08 Zetterberg vs 18 Crosby. 

If we’re looking at other years then yeah, Crosby is much further ahead of Zetterberg. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

But yea Zetterberg was the better overall player in 08 and spent time on PK. If he focused more on offense that year he would was scored more than 92 points in the 75 games he played. 

I'm not sure if the topic was serious to begin with because it's pointless on this site anyway, you aren't going to get unbiased views.  By 2018 Crosby though, I think the OP might have meant this season, not the 2017-18 season, so, we still have to see Crosby play first.

Point is though....thread seems to gotten to who has the been the better player over their careers and not the specific question.  In that case, there really can't be a debate and if there is, it's too much of a Wings' fan bias.

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

If we’re looking at other years then yeah, Crosby is much further ahead of Zetterberg. 

I need some of what you're smokin.... it's obviously top grade stuff.

53 minutes ago, mackel said:

I need some of what you're smokin.... it's obviously top grade stuff.

2008 version Zetterberg > Crosby from last season (17/18)

Go look it up, I’m not going to do the research for you. 

Crosby wasn’t even a top 5 player last season.

Wasn’t even top 15 for Hart voting. Lol.

Edited by kickazz

Zetterberg didn’t really start getting recognition in the league till after he won the Conn Smyth anyway. 

He was a very underrated player from 03-08. 

Most didn’t even know Datsyuk could dangle as much as he could till 2007/08. It wasn’t until Ken and Mick termed him Houdini or Magician till he got league wide recognition.

People were more focused on Ovechkin, Crosby Getzlaf, Sedins etc. They were the selling product.

Usually 6th and 7th rounders aren’t the focus of media attention. At least until they end up winning a cup and Selkes. 

People to this day still think someone Getzlaf was a better player than our top players. Which is a joke. 

Edited by kickazz

17 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Zetterberg didn’t really start getting recognition in the league till after he won the Conn Smyth anyway. 

He was a very underrated player from 03-08. 

Most didn’t even know Datsyuk could dangle as much as he could till 2007/08. It wasn’t until Ken and Mick termed him Houdini or Magician till he got league wide recognition.

People were more focused on Ovechkin, Crosby Getzlaf, Sedins etc. They were the selling product.

Usually 6th and 7th rounders aren’t the focus of media attention. At least until they end up winning a cup and Selkes. At that point you can’t ignore them as much anymore. 

I totally agree that Z had a better year in the 2007-08 season than Crosby did in the 2017-18 season, my point was that I'm not sure if that was the actual question.  Perhaps I assumed wrong, but for the timing of the question (just before the start of the season), I thought the question was whether Z was better in 2008 than Crosby will be this season.  So I thought it was a more of a prediction question vs. and opinion question on seasons that already happened.

Either way, I still think it's a very strange and random question.  If you are going to pick a year for one guy several years ago and compare to another guy today, there should be some sort of logic as to why you are picking those years.

EDIT: Forgot the reason I quoted your post....regarding no one (or most I guess) knowing Dats could dangle until 07/08, I'm pretty sure that's not true.  I remember thinking in his rookie season in 2001-02 that he could dangle and he was doing it a lot and I went as far to suggest as he gets older and more experienced in the league he'd do less of it because a lot of guys can dangle, but you need to combine it with other skills to be successful in the league. 

Edited by toby91_ca

30 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

I totally agree that Z had a better year in the 2007-08 season than Crosby did in the 2017-18 season, my point was that I'm not sure if that was the actual question.  Perhaps I assumed wrong, but for the timing of the question (just before the start of the season), I thought the question was whether Z was better in 2008 than Crosby will be this season.  So I thought it was a more of a prediction question vs. and opinion question on seasons that already happened.

Either way, I still think it's a very strange and random question.  If you are going to pick a year for one guy several years ago and compare to another guy today, there should be some sort of logic as to why you are picking those years.

EDIT: Forgot the reason I quoted your post....regarding no one (or most I guess) knowing Dats could dangle until 07/08, I'm pretty sure that's not true.  I remember thinking in his rookie season in 2001-02 that he could dangle and he was doing it a lot and I went as far to suggest as he gets older and more experienced in the league he'd do less of it because a lot of guys can dangle, but you need to combine it with other skills to be successful in the league. 

I mean us fans and Ken and Mick certainly knew his dangles and skills. I meant moreso about league wide media recognition. 

Comapre that to Sedins, Getzlaf, Crosby and Ovechkin were the focus right off the bat nationally.

I mean, a lot of it could also be due to the fact that Dats and Zet were overshadowed by names like Shanahan, Fedorov, Yzerman. But those two def didn’t get popular league wide until that 07/08 season. 

I mean the fact that Barret Jackman won ROY over Z speaks volumes.

Edited by kickazz

Not really sure on the exact question (comparing these respective years of the players, and who was better that year...or will Sid top Z's monster 2008 year?) 

At the highest level though, and considering their entire careers up to this point....Z is/was very, very good.  Sid is/was great.  Different players, different roles on their teams, different style of hockey they each play.  I hate the thought of this, and makes me vomit in my mouth a tad, but it's the truth. 

1 hour ago, toby91_ca said:

Not trying to confuse anyone.  Zetterberg is obviously not the player Crosby is over a career.  One in an all star, one is a generational talent.  BUT, for a 1-2 year span of his career, Zetterberg played at a level that made him elite.  63% Corsi for, Selke, Conn Smythe, Cup, etc.  I remember the announcers in that 2008 cup run talking about nothing else than Zetterberg shutting Crosby down.  So I'm not trying to predict the season Crosby is going to have.  I'm simply asking whether or not you think Zata at any point during 2008 was as good as or better than Sidney Crosby during 2018.  Make sense?

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Not trying to confuse anyone.  Zetterberg is obviously not the player Crosby is over a career.  One in an all star, one is a generational talent.  BUT, for a 1-2 year span of his career, Zetterberg played at a level that made him elite.  63% Corsi for, Selke, Conn Smythe, Cup, etc.  I remember the announcers in that 2008 cup run talking about nothing else than Zetterberg shutting Crosby down.  So I'm not trying to predict the season Crosby is going to have.  I'm simply asking whether or not you think Zata at any point during 2008 was as good as or better than Sidney Crosby during 2018.  Make sense?

If we’re talking 1 vs 1 on the ice rink. The answer is Zetterberg in 2008 would demolish Crosby from 2017/18. 

Zetterberg from 2008 would demolish just about anyone 1 on 1. Except maybe someone like 2003 Peter Forseberg who would probably be his best counter since Forsberg was also defensively a genius and played big.

94 Fedorov too. 

Edited by kickazz

38 minutes ago, kickazz said:

If we’re talking 1 vs 1 on the ice rink. The answer is Zetterberg in 2008 would demolish Crosby from 2017/18. 

Zetterberg from 2008 would demolish just about anyone 1 on 1. Except maybe someone like 2003 Peter Forseberg who would probably be his best counter since Forsberg was also defensively a genius and played big.

94 Fedorov too. 

There is no 1 on 1 in hockey, so I'm not sure how you measure that metric.  In any case, I don't think he shuts down a prime Lemieux or Gretzky.  I don't even think he'd shut down a prime Crosby (which is what this topic thread should have been in hindsight).  Crosby was very young in those two Finals and hadn't yet reached his peak.  Zetterberg was in his peak.  

20 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

There is no 1 on 1 in hockey, so I'm not sure how you measure that metric.  In any case, I don't think he shuts down a prime Lemieux or Gretzky.  I don't even think he'd shut down a prime Crosby (which is what this topic thread should have been in hindsight).  Crosby was very young in those two Finals and hadn't yet reached his peak.  Zetterberg was in his peak.  

Lemieux and Gretzky were a slower era. Although Fedorov overlapped with them, I would say Fedorov onwards would probably be more of a comparable breed to compare the 2000s guys. 

1 on 1 I mean still 5 on 5 hockey but a Zetterberg line vs a Crosby line etc in real time. Rather than comparing each player simply in terms of numbers like a did earlier.   

And I’m not so sure if “prime” is really a good argument to delineate for Crosby. His best production came during his youngest years from 06-09. Maybe his injury impeded him from further improving his production over the years. 

The only other time he broke 100 points was 2013/14. He hasn’t been the same since 2014 though. But still an elite player. McDavid, Kucherov have surpassed him at this point I would say. Then again, you never know with Crosby.

Edited by kickazz

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

I mean us fans and Ken and Mick certainly knew his dangles and skills. I meant moreso about league wide media recognition. 

Comapre that to Sedins, Getzlaf, Crosby and Ovechkin were the focus right off the bat nationally.

I mean, a lot of it could also be due to the fact that Dats and Zet were overshadowed by names like Shanahan, Fedorov, Yzerman. But those two def didn’t get popular league wide until that 07/08 season. 

I mean the fact that Barret Jackman won ROY over Z speaks volumes.

I remember heading into the cup finals against the Pens in 2009 and seeing Dats and Crosby on everything with titles like "Datsyuk VS Crosby: Who's better?"  and I remember thinking ITS ABOUT TIME the magicman got some recognition for what he did on the ice-all 200 feet of it.  That year we also had Hossa and he talked about the differences between the two players fairly often, and he always said Dats was the more spectacular playermaker.   NHL players for years always named Dats as the player who absolutely blew their minds but it wasn't until those two years of back to back finals where he got the media coverage to showcase to the people yet to see him.

As for the question 08 Z vs 18 Crosby?  All I will say is if I had to choose one of them for their entire career in a winged wheel, Id definitely choose Crosby