• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Steve Yzerman to step down as GM for TBL. Will serve in "Advisory Role".

Rate this topic

He couldn't fake it with the Bolts any longer. lol  He's been probably the best GM in the NHL for the past few years and he loves Detroit, he's moving back to Detroit, while we have a GM that's made some questionable moves for quite a while now.  If Stevie doesn't become our new GM in the next year or so, it'll never happen.

I can understand the hard on that every Detroit fan has for Yzerman taking over as GM for the Wings, but when I look at it, I really don't know how good or bad this is going to be.  This could go very well for Detroit.  Yzerman makes some great moves for the Wings and they find themselves competing for a cup in the next 3-4 years.  On the flip side, he makes some bad deals and drafts some duds and then everyone is ready to lynch Yzerman by year three or four.  I remember seeing Yzerman play as a kid in the 80s and then leading the team to compete for a championship in the 90s, so I think I would give Yzerman quite a bit of rope when it comes to GMing.  The rest of Wings nation may be willing to give him a pass for the first couple years, but it wouldn't take many years of playoff emptiness before the fans would revolt against him.

Well, I hope that Yzerman and his family are going to be ok and that this isn't a family emergency. 

6 minutes ago, Nightfall said:

I can understand the hard on that every Detroit fan has for Yzerman taking over as GM for the Wings, but when I look at it, I really don't know how good or bad this is going to be.  This could go very well for Detroit.  Yzerman makes some great moves for the Wings and they find themselves competing for a cup in the next 3-4 years.  On the flip side, he makes some bad deals and drafts some duds and then everyone is ready to lynch Yzerman by year three or four.  I remember seeing Yzerman play as a kid in the 80s and then leading the team to compete for a championship in the 90s, so I think I would give Yzerman quite a bit of rope when it comes to GMing.  The rest of Wings nation may be willing to give him a pass for the first couple years, but it wouldn't take many years of playoff emptiness before the fans would revolt against him.

Well, I hope that Yzerman and his family are going to be ok and that this isn't a family emergency. 

Hes done well in tampa 

I have a feeling that this has more to do with Mrs. Lisa Yzerman choosing to live in Detroit, year round, than anything. Now that all of their girls are out of highschool, and out on their own, she doesn't want to stay in their 9000 sq. ft. house all alone. He wouldn't be the first person to choose his family over his career. And it's not like he needs the money from his GM job. 

And maybe he realizes that he's never going to win the big enchiladas with Tampa, so he's slowly bowing out gracefully. 

Just my .02.

1 minute ago, BigWillieStyle said:

I have a feeling that this has more to do with Mrs. Lisa Yzerman choosing to live in Detroit, year round, than anything. Now that all of their girls are out of highschool, and out on their own, she doesn't want to stay in their 9000 sq. ft. house all alone. He wouldn't be the first person to choose his family over his career. And it's not like he needs the money from his GM job. 

And maybe he realizes that he's never going to win the big enchiladas with Tampa, so he's slowly bowing out gracefully. 

Just my .02.

As I said earlier - my initial impression was that this was for family, or personal reasons...That said - I had no clue that the Mrs was still in Detroit year round, and that their kids are already outta high school (man the time does go by quickly as I get older).

Apparently there's a press conference at 4 pm eastern.

30 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He has. But he won't have the luxury of starting with an elite center (Stamkos) and an elite Dman (Hedman) here in Detroit (unless next spring's draft is somehow legendary). 

Maybe this is a flashback to when he was a kid back in '83, and wants a challenge :lol:

I'd like to wish Kenny Holland the best of luck in his future endeavors.  Fire his ass tomorrow and bring Yzerman back.  

I'm suprised, though, that Yzerman didn't see through the Tampa job until they won the Cup.  He kind of left them with blue balls. 

On second thought, maybe the Lions are going to hire Yzerman after yesterday's game.  

Edited by GMRwings1983