• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Steve Yzerman to step down as GM for TBL. Will serve in "Advisory Role".

Rate this topic

Hope everything is ok with him and his family, his health, etc.

Going to temper my excitement for a while, as this could be one of a number of things.  Certainly hope he makes his way "Home" one day, but that's at least a season away, regardless.

(Took a hell of a lot of restraint to not do a little happy dance at work when I first saw the news...)

24 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

Wait and see.With the Drafts and trades Kenny had the last two seasons and with us finally in a rebuild I wouldn't mind if Kenny stays a bit longer. But No. 19 back with the Wings? That would be a dream come true.

Rumors continue that Holland is still favored to become the GM of the expansion Seattle franchise.

Watching the presser right now - Stevie has really become comfortable in front of the camera...Makes Holland sound like a guy hitting the Crown Royal too early in the day...Not that there's anything wrong with that...

EDIT - watching the NHL Network...Stu Grimson confirmed that wife Lisa, and his 3 daughters stayed behind in Michigan while Steve was in Tampa.

Edited by F.Michael

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He has. But he won't have the luxury of starting with an elite center (Stamkos) and an elite Dman (Hedman) here in Detroit (unless next spring's draft is somehow legendary). 

This right here.  Yzerman would be coming into a situation where the cupboard is being restocked, and no truly elite players on the roster.  Yzerman wouldn't be making a change to Detroit because there is a better chance to win, thats for sure.  Its another rebuild project.

2 hours ago, BigWillieStyle said:

I have a feeling that this has more to do with Mrs. Lisa Yzerman choosing to live in Detroit, year round, than anything. Now that all of their girls are out of highschool, and out on their own, she doesn't want to stay in their 9000 sq. ft. house all alone. He wouldn't be the first person to choose his family over his career. And it's not like he needs the money from his GM job.

John Shannon seems to agree:

I buy it.

As for how the Wings do or don't fit into all of this...I'm going to assume this isn't Wings-related. At the same time, though, doesn't this basically preclude him from taking a GM job anywhere except, perhaps, in Detroit? I've seen some people saying Seattle, but, like, if John Shannon is right, how is Seattle different from Tampa Bay? I guess he and the Mrs. could relocate together at some point, get a new primary residence somewhere else. But, I mean, yeah.

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

John Shannon seems to agree:

I buy it.

As for how the Wings do or don't fit into all of this...I'm going to assume this isn't Wings-related. At the same time, though, doesn't this basically preclude him from taking a GM job anywhere except, perhaps, in Detroit? I've seen some people saying Seattle, but, like, if John Shannon is right, how is Seattle different from Tampa Bay? I guess he and the Mrs. could relocate together at some point, get a new primary residence somewhere else. But, I mean, yeah.

I’m still surprised that the womenfolk didn’t join Steve in TB.

Anywho - I’m wishing the best for the Yzerman family, and the cherry on the top would be Steve to become a member of the Red Wings once again.

If anything can bring me out of the woodwork, it’s news of My Lord and Savior Stevesus Yzermanchrist making his long overdue return to the Motherland to (not) strap on his skates and lead us to a threepeat, a super bowl win, and the end of the Flint water crisis. 

The part of my brain that’s not having a fever dream hopes that all is well with his family, has tempered expectations that he will ever return to the Wings franchise in any official capacity, and will wait and see how this pans out like a normal-functioning human being. 

But I’d be lying if I said my initial reaction to the original tweets wasn’t to aggressively hump the nearest inanimate (or not—sorry Lesley) object whilst scream-singing Don’t Stop Believing. Whatevs. 

3 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

I'm guessing there is more to this, but I don't think there is any Wings' connection.  That doesn't mean he doesn't end up back on the Wings' payroll at some point.

8 years did go by very quickly, reading that it surprised me that it's been that long.

Aren't you a party pooper.  Excuse us for actually being excited about something again on LGW.

I feel it was fairly obvious that this was going to happen at some point, however what shocks me is that it is happening now. I always thought that this was going to happen after TB won their cup and began to regress 5-6 years down the road.

After today, I can't imagine a scenario where he is not our GM in 2 years or less.

He will still be an advisor for Tampa, but he will also spend a ton of time as a "fan" of our team, watching all the home games as a "guest" of The Ilitch's from their private suite, "getting to know" our (soon to be his) players.

This IS happening. Yzerman will be drafting Jack Hughes and signing Erik Karlsson to Detroit come summer. 

From Mlive this morning 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/09/could_return_to_red_wings_be_i.html#incart_river_index

"Yzerman, during a news conference in Tampa, said he wants to spend more time with family, his wife and three daughters who have maintained a residence in Michigan. The grind of commuting back and forth to Florida for eight years apparently has taken its toll on Yzerman."

Wow it's been 8 years hard to believe....Guessing he might catch a few games @ LCA...lol

Wow he's been down there for 8 years? Doesn't seem like it. 

I'm sure he's doing what's best for him and his family but I'm definitely hoping (along with everyone else here) that we see him take on a new role with the Red Wings sometime soon. Welcome home, Stevie! 

44 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

From Mlive this morning 

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2018/09/could_return_to_red_wings_be_i.html#incart_river_index

"Yzerman, during a news conference in Tampa, said he wants to spend more time with family, his wife and three daughters who have maintained a residence in Michigan. The grind of commuting back and forth to Florida for eight years apparently has taken its toll on Yzerman."

Wow it's been 8 years hard to believe....Guessing he might catch a few games @ LCA...lol

Which is EXACTLY what I eluded too! He will be catching plenty of games at the LCA, assessing the team and getting ideas on how he can make the team better, when he becomes GM. Leadership is in his blood. He will most definitely have ideas and be playing armchair GM (like we all do) when it comes to "HIS" team. I cannot wait for him to take over. Holland has done very well in recent years, but he will take the Seattle franchise and build it from the ground up. Isn't Holland from Western Canada anyhow? I believe he is a BC boy. That's pretty close to Seattle.

It's time. Holland will step aside after this season and Yzerman will take over, with Draper as his Asst. GM. And as an added bonus, Yzerman WILL recommend that #91 be retired. Since Marion loves him so much, she will let by-gones be by-gones. He will employ Lidstrom (the REAL Swedish Don) to "convince" Karlsson to sign in Detroit come July. I cannot wait for his shrewd deals next summer! This TDL, Holland will be making deals that he and Yzerman have discussed "off the record." Holland will deal Nyquist and Daley to Tampa for their Stanley Cup run. Coming to Detroit will be Cal Foote and Taylor Raddish. Tampa will win the Cup, Yzerman will get his name on it again, then be our official GM before the draft. :)

Yzerman to the GM, Fedorov to the rafters! Stanley Cup by 2022. Oh, and Darren Helm will be the first Captain in Seattle.

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Which is EXACTLY what I eluded too! He will be catching plenty of games at the LCA, assessing the team and getting ideas on how he can make the team better, when he becomes GM. Leadership is in his blood. He will most definitely have ideas and be playing armchair GM (like we all do) when it comes to "HIS" team. I cannot wait for him to take over. Holland has done very well in recent years, but he will take the Seattle franchise and build it from the ground up. Isn't Holland from Western Canada anyhow? I believe he is a BC boy. That's pretty close to Seattle.

It's time. Holland will step aside after this season and Yzerman will take over, with Draper as his Asst. GM. And as an added bonus, Yzerman WILL recommend that #91 be retired. Since Marion loves him so much, she will let by-gones be by-gones. He will employ Lidstrom (the REAL Swedish Don) to "convince" Karlsson to sign in Detroit come July. I cannot wait for his shrewd deals next summer! This TDL, Holland will be making deals that he and Yzerman have discussed "off the record." Holland will deal Nyquist and Daley to Tampa for their Stanley Cup run. Coming to Detroit will be Cal Foote and Taylor Raddish. Tampa will win the Cup, Yzerman will get his name on it again, then be our official GM before the draft. :)

Yzerman to the GM, Fedorov to the rafters! Stanley Cup by 2022. Oh, and Darren Helm will be the first Captain in Seattle.

HOOO LEE **** you're pretty pumped up eh? :lol:

As much as I would love for Yzerman to "come home" to take over as General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings, I'm not convinced it'll happen... However, the possibility of it happening is much better now than it was a couple day ago...

Holland has done a fantastic job over the past couple years, but Yzerman taking over would be unreal. Keeping my fingers crossed...

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Isn't Holland from Western Canada anyhow? I believe he is a BC boy. That's pretty close to Seattle.

So is Yzerman...

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Holland will deal Nyquist and Daley to Tampa for their Stanley Cup run. Coming to Detroit will be Cal Foote and Taylor Raddish.

You forgot Helm for Sergachev...

20 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

He has. But he won't have the luxury of starting with an elite center (Stamkos) and an elite Dman (Hedman) here in Detroit (unless next spring's draft is somehow legendary). 

True.  We don't have a Stamkos or a Hedman in the pipeline, but we have a Larkin,  a Mantha and an Athanasiou on the roster right now.  We have a Rasmussen, Zadina and Veleno ready to go in a couple years or less.  In all likelihood, we'll probably also get another lottery pick next June to add to this pool of really talented prospects.  I'm biased, obviously, but I feel like the Wings will be in a better situation next year than TB was when he joined them.

I think what is key here is that he just said he's stepping down from his post in Tampa and going home to be with his family in Detroit.  He didn't say he was retiring.  It sounds like he intends to continue being a GM somewhere.  Seeing as how he couldn't make a long distance arrangement workout, Detroit sounds like the only place he could have his cake and eat it too.  

What's interesting is that this decision is so sudden.  I mean, he was literally trying to trade for Karlsson a month or two ago and all of a sudden he's stepping down.  Now it was mentioned in a Detroit Free Press article that Holland and Yzerman went out golfing together two weeks ago in Detroit.  Could be nothing.  Or it could be "Hey Steve, you want my job after your contract expires in Tampa?"  Steve, wanting to do the honorable thing, steps down as GM and takes an advisory position.  Makes me wonder if that's what Holland said he himself would do if Yzerman took over as GM and that's where he got the idea.  All speculation on my part, of course, but it makes sense.

Edited by xtrememachine1

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

True.  We don't have a Stamkos or a Hedman in the pipeline, but we have a Larkin,  a Mantha and an Athanasiou on the roster right now.  We have a Rasmussen, Zadina and Veleno ready to go in a couple years or less.  In all likelihood, we'll probably also get another lottery pick next June to add to this pool of really talented prospects.  I'm biased, obviously, but I feel like the Wings will be in a better situation next year than TB was when he joined them.

I'd trade most of, if not all of these guys for a superstar center and Norris caliber D-man. So I'm not sure we agree on this last point. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

17 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'd trade most of, if not all of these guys for a superstar center and Norris caliber D-man. So I'm not sure we agree on this last point. 

Yeah but Yzerman would rather come home <3

He gunning for that GM job at home. 

He gunning for the GM job for an organization that could put the Lightening in its pocket. 

He gunning for the GM job of the original 6 franchise. 

Make Detroit Hockeytown again.

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

As much as I would love for Yzerman to "come home" to take over as General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings, I'm not convinced it'll happen... However, the possibility of it happening is much better now than it was a couple day ago...

Holland has done a fantastic job over the past couple years, but Yzerman taking over would be unreal. Keeping my fingers crossed...

So is Yzerman...

You forgot Helm for Sergachev...

Fantastic job doing what?  Cleaning up his own mess of bloated contracts with no-trade clauses?    

8 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Fantastic job doing what?  Cleaning up his own mess of bloated contracts with no-trade clauses?    

Acquiring additional draft picks and drafting well. 

He actually hasn't really cleaned up any of "his own mess of bloated contracts and no-trade clauses"

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

8 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Acquiring additional draft picks and drafting well. 

He actually hasn't really cleaned up any of "his own mess of bloated contracts and no-trade clauses"

It remains to be seen how these draft picks pan out.  This forum has been high in the past on players which amounted to nothing.  I still don't see the big deal with AA.  DeKeyser is a waste of space.  There are so many others that aren't even on the team anymore.  Holland can't draft a good defenseman if his life depended on it.  I do like Larkin and Mantha and hope they continue to develop, but everyone else is unproven or sucks.  

The contracts though are embarrassing.  If you have the highest payroll in the league for two consecutive seasons, you shouldn't be one of the worst teams in hockey.  Unless, your GM just sucks and overpays everybody.