• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Steve Yzerman to step down as GM for TBL. Will serve in "Advisory Role".

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Yzerman is glorified more than a bit. He's made his fair share of mistakes. Matt Carle. Anders Lindback. His Success has mostly come from drafting and trades. Drafting that he learned from Ken and stole many of our staff on the way out. And in terms of trades Kenny has been hot fire recently as well.

IDK, starting to think Yzerman wouldn't be that much of a change at all

The "Never Holland" crowd won't care.

I've always said Yzerman isn't a miracle worker and benefited a lot from the team he inherited.  

That being said, Holland has been s*** for a few years now.  Something needs to be changed, and not just promotions from within.  Whether it's giving Yzerman a shot, assuming he wants it, or finding some young, smart exec looking for his first GM experience, IDGAF.  

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I've always said Yzerman isn't a miracle worker and benefited a lot from the team he inherited.  

That being said, Holland has been s*** for a few years now.  Something needs to be changed, and not just promotions from within.  Whether it's giving Yzerman a shot, assuming he wants it, or finding some young, smart exec looking for his first GM experience, IDGAF.  

Holland was s*** a few years ago when he was attempting to keep the steak alive. Since then (the past couple years), he's been great.

I'm all for a change, but not just for the sake of change. If we're making a management change (and the same goes for coaching), it needs to be for a notable upgrade.

I'd be thrilled if Yzerman were to "come home", but admittedly mainly for the nostalgia. I do think he's one of the better GM's in the league, but I'd put Holland in that group as well. I'd be afraid his legacy might become tarnished if he doesn't have instant success here, and I think there's a real possibility that some people would turn on him pretty quickly. That's something I never want to see...

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The same people who hated Babcock for years turned on Blash within a week. You underestimate their stupidity and cynicism .

I think there’s a bit of a difference between thinking Holland has run his course in this organization as GM and expecting a 1st year NHL coach to sweep in and be the savior because “he had successs at every level before.” That was stupid and I was one of about three people who thought so at the time. I took a ripping for it too; I was “negative” for questioning. Ridiculous.

But I still think Holland could use replacing. I will totally acknowledge that he’s been on an uptick lately with some solid moves given what he’s had to play with, but this comes after years of mishandling of a great many aspects of this team. Bad contracts, a lack of moves that should’ve been made, no semblance of an answer for losing 3 of your top 4 defenseman in a short amount of time, etc... Regarding trades, I’m not talking about making trades for the sake of trades and fanboys, I’m talking about moving smaller assets mostly and the huge disparity in the amount of trades the Wings have made and the second lowest team relative to the lack of success. If we had much success to write home about during the period Holland made half as many trades as the second lowest trading team, I’d not bring it up, but instead, the team has continued to go downhill and Holland’s been slow to react and slow to take a definitive stand. I don’t think he’s been as good or as bad as most have suggested, but I do think it’s time for a change. 

All that said, as much as I’d love to see Yzerman come back as GM for perhaps more sentimental reasons (like we all probably feel on some level), I have similar reservations as I did about Blash. It’s not quite the same as Yzerman’s been playing in the GM big leagues for a bit now and has had a fair amount of success, but he’d be walking into a wildly different situation in Detroit and there’s no quick fixes for this team at this point. I can see the upsides though; fresh perspective but rooted in this teams tradition, familiarity with the org, and perhaps most importantly, if someone could be a rallying point for management in terms of bringing big brains together to have a top notch management team in Detroit, it’s probably Steve Yzerman. At some point I’m sure we’ll find out what that looks like.

I’d actually enjoy seeing Yzerman get the chance to bring this team out of this pit; it’d make a great story, and that’s the story we want out of Yzerman coming home to be GM. But Yzerman was captain for a long time before we got a Cup again, and any way it goes, we’re a long way off from that kind of success. It’s going to be a long story. If people don’t manage their expectations, he’ll absolutely disappoint sooner rather than later, and that’s a shame. 

11 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The same people who hated Babcock for years turned on Blash within a week. You underestimate their stupidity and cynicism .

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

As I said, the guns already loaded

3 hours ago, gcom007 said:

I think there’s a bit of a difference between thinking Holland has run his course in this organization as GM and expecting a 1st year NHL coach to sweep in and be the savior because “he had successs at every level before.” That was stupid and I was one of about three people who thought so at the time. I took a ripping for it too; I was “negative” for questioning. Ridiculous.

But I still think Holland could use replacing. I will totally acknowledge that he’s been on an uptick lately with some solid moves given what he’s had to play with, but this comes after years of mishandling of a great many aspects of this team. Bad contracts, a lack of moves that should’ve been made, no semblance of an answer for losing 3 of your top 4 defenseman in a short amount of time, etc... Regarding trades, I’m not talking about making trades for the sake of trades and fanboys, I’m talking about moving smaller assets mostly and the huge disparity in the amount of trades the Wings have made and the second lowest team relative to the lack of success. If we had much success to write home about during the period Holland made half as many trades as the second lowest trading team, I’d not bring it up, but instead, the team has continued to go downhill and Holland’s been slow to react and slow to take a definitive stand. I don’t think he’s been as good or as bad as most have suggested, but I do think it’s time for a change. 

All that said, as much as I’d love to see Yzerman come back as GM for perhaps more sentimental reasons (like we all probably feel on some level), I have similar reservations as I did about Blash. It’s not quite the same as Yzerman’s been playing in the GM big leagues for a bit now and has had a fair amount of success, but he’d be walking into a wildly different situation in Detroit and there’s no quick fixes for this team at this point. I can see the upsides though; fresh perspective but rooted in this teams tradition, familiarity with the org, and perhaps most importantly, if someone could be a rallying point for management in terms of bringing big brains together to have a top notch management team in Detroit, it’s probably Steve Yzerman. At some point I’m sure we’ll find out what that looks like.

I’d actually enjoy seeing Yzerman get the chance to bring this team out of this pit; it’d make a great story, and that’s the story we want out of Yzerman coming home to be GM. But Yzerman was captain for a long time before we got a Cup again, and any way it goes, we’re a long way off from that kind of success. It’s going to be a long story. If people don’t manage their expectations, he’ll absolutely disappoint sooner rather than later, and that’s a shame. 

This fanbase CLAMORED to bring in Blashill and let Babcock - arguably the best coach in the league at the time - walk... all because Babs "had a stale voice" or whatever TF that means...

Now all those former Blash worshipers sit on this website and blast him for being "lol a moron" and pretend like they weren't begging him to join the team a few seasons ago.

It's nut-bar level

Those same people will turn on Yzerman two seasons in, when the honey-moon has worn off and we're still not back in the playoffs yet. It's like clockwork, you can set your watch to it.

IMO Yzerman and Holland are both great managers. Holland tried to keep the dream alive post 2009, and he AND ownership rightly deserve criticism for that. However, the moment the playoff expectations ended Holland immediately started making shrewd moves to get the ship back on course. Pretty much everyone agrees his rebuilding has been superb thus far. We're losing right now because that's what rebuilding teams do. They lose. In all reality I highly doubt Yzerman would fix this team much faster than Holland can.

If Holland jets for Seattle, and we activate the Yzerman, I will be super excited. But that'll be mostly because of nostalgia as @krsmith17 pointed out. Not because the team will suddenly turn a corner under his leadership.

The sucky part will be watching this fanbase turn on a RW legend. It will take a solid season or two for it to sink in that having Yzerman in charge doesn't magically make us good again, but it will come. I don't think any GM would be immune to toxic level of critiscism our armchair GM's dish out.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

dunno if this has been brought up yet or not, but check out the gigantic balls on our current GM.

NEWS

‘I’VE WON THREE CUPS, FIVE PRESIDENTS’ TROPHIES. I DON’T LOOK OVER MY SHOULDER.’ 10 MINUTES WITH: RED WINGS GM KEN HOLLAND

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ive-won-three-cups-five-presidents-trophies-i-dont-look-over-my-shoulder-10-minutes-with-red-wings-gm-ken-holland

1 minute ago, e_prime said:

I posted it in the GDT, shoulda posted it here.

#IDontLookOverShouldersShouldersLookOverMe

12 minutes ago, e_prime said:

He forgot to mention he traded the pick that brought Vasilievskiy to Tampa for KFQ.

1VOlSLn.png

Edited by NerveDamage

I'm not saying the man hasn't made mistakes.  I don't think he'd even try to pass off the idea that he hasn't miffed on a couple of swings.

...but Holland knows, if he's getting replaced by a shiny new toy, it'll happen.  He's in rebuild mode.  If the Ilitches grow weary of this process and, like CLR said, his shrewd moves. He'll be gone.   ....but he won't be without a job for long if he wants one.

As far as the Vasilievskiy pick specifically... coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Also, we already had our future goaltender in Mrazek at that point, right?  ;)

Edited by e_prime

3 hours ago, kliq said:

Link? I havent been able to find anything.

No, link just a rumor as I've said. 

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As I said, the guns already loaded

This fanbase CLAMORED to bring in Blashill and let Babcock - arguably the best coach in the league at the time - walk... all because Babs "had a stale voice" or whatever TF that means...

Now all those former Blash worshipers sit on this website and blast him for being "lol a moron" and pretend like they weren't begging him to join the team a few seasons ago.

It's nut-bar level

Those same people will turn on Yzerman two seasons in, when the honey-moon has worn off and we're still not back in the playoffs yet. It's like clockwork, you can set your watch to it.

IMO Yzerman and Holland are both great managers. Holland tried to keep the dream alive post 2009, and he AND ownership rightly deserve criticism for that. However, the moment the playoff expectations ended Holland immediately started making shrewd moves to get the ship back on course. Pretty much everyone agrees his rebuilding has been superb thus far. We're losing right now because that's what rebuilding teams do. They lose. In all reality I highly doubt Yzerman would fix this team much faster than Holland can.

If Holland jets for Seattle, and we activate the Yzerman, I will be super excited. But that'll be mostly because of nostalgia as @krsmith17 pointed out. Not because the team will suddenly turn a corner under his leadership.

The sucky part will be watching this fanbase turn on a RW legend. It will take a solid season or two for it to sink in that having Yzerman in charge doesn't magically make us good again, but it will come. I don't think any GM would be immune to toxic level of critiscism our armchair GM's dish out.

I said this before that bringing Steve in may not be a good idea.

3 hours ago, e_prime said:

Reminds me of Moe Greene's speech in the Godfather Part I.  Someone should retire this old fossil.

Just now, Echolalia said:

I cant wait for yzerman to come in and inherit a s*** team instead of one with Stamkos and Hedman and St Louis and then the fanbase to turn on him with the team inevitably doesn't win a cup in the next 5 years.

id be happy with a competitive team and to make the playoffs a couple times. losing most games isnt something anyone wants to watch

19 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I wasn't one of those. I, like you, thought that Babcock was still a better option over whatever else was out there, including Blashill. Babcock left for what seemed like "greener pastures" at the time. I think Blashill was probably the next best option at the time, much like Dave Lewis was when Bowman left (although I would have preferred Barry Smith, but whatevs). That's why I supported the promotion at the time, but have to come to believe that Blashill needs to go.