• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Steve Yzerman to step down as GM for TBL. Will serve in "Advisory Role".

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Echolalia said:

I cant wait for yzerman to come in and inherit a s*** team instead of one with Stamkos and Hedman and St Louis and then the fanbase to turn on him with the team inevitably doesn't win a cup in the next 5 years.

Why? That sounds terrible... 

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As I said, the guns already loaded

This fanbase CLAMORED to bring in Blashill and let Babcock - arguably the best coach in the league at the time - walk... all because Babs "had a stale voice" or whatever TF that means...

Now all those former Blash worshipers sit on this website and blast him for being "lol a moron" and pretend like they weren't begging him to join the team a few seasons ago.

It's nut-bar level

Those same people will turn on Yzerman two seasons in, when the honey-moon has worn off and we're still not back in the playoffs yet. It's like clockwork, you can set your watch to it.

IMO Yzerman and Holland are both great managers. Holland tried to keep the dream alive post 2009, and he AND ownership rightly deserve criticism for that. However, the moment the playoff expectations ended Holland immediately started making shrewd moves to get the ship back on course. Pretty much everyone agrees his rebuilding has been superb thus far. We're losing right now because that's what rebuilding teams do. They lose. In all reality I highly doubt Yzerman would fix this team much faster than Holland can.

If Holland jets for Seattle, and we activate the Yzerman, I will be super excited. But that'll be mostly because of nostalgia as @krsmith17 pointed out. Not because the team will suddenly turn a corner under his leadership.

The sucky part will be watching this fanbase turn on a RW legend. It will take a solid season or two for it to sink in that having Yzerman in charge doesn't magically make us good again, but it will come. I don't think any GM would be immune to toxic level of critiscism our armchair GM's dish out.

1) I've said that in response to every "OMG THEY LET THE CAPTAIN GO AND LOOK WHAT HE'S DOING IN TB" post.  Ditto for Nill.

2) Recognizing the need for a new coach and not being a Blashill fan boy his first year are not mutually exclusive.  Certain coaches are good at certain things.  Babcock in Detroit had some bad habits overusing certain players.  Now he's in Toronto with the best 1-2 punch a center since Crosby and Malkin were in their primes.  He's a good coach, but he's no Bowman or Blake.  I thought Blashill should have had a chance, and when the team under performed his first year, I would have asked him what he was changing year 2 and if he didn't have a good answer he would have been gone.  Apparently the answer was "work hard, pay a 200 foot game, hard on the puck, heavy bodies."  It didn't work year 1, it's not working now.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ive-won-three-cups-five-presidents-trophies-i-dont-look-over-my-shoulder-10-minutes-with-red-wings-gm-ken-holland

So it begins.  The first accusatory question Holland gets and he answers with a snarky look at everything I've done answer.  This guy needs to go.  Was wondering if he was going to be cool and take the blame for the current state of affairs.  Nope.

Because it was a stupid question. Ken Campbell just looking to stir the pot and get some traffic. Holland should've asked him if he was worried Bob Duff was going to take his job at THN.

16 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

1) I've said that in response to every "OMG THEY LET THE CAPTAIN GO AND LOOK WHAT HE'S DOING IN TB" post.  Ditto for Nill.

2) Recognizing the need for a new coach and not being a Blashill fan boy his first year are not mutually exclusive.  Certain coaches are good at certain things.  Babcock in Detroit had some bad habits overusing certain players.  Now he's in Toronto with the best 1-2 punch a center since Crosby and Malkin were in their primes.  He's a good coach, but he's no Bowman or Blake.  I thought Blashill should have had a chance, and when the team under performed his first year, I would have asked him what he was changing year 2 and if he didn't have a good answer he would have been gone.  Apparently the answer was "work hard, pay a 200 foot game, hard on the puck, heavy bodies."  It didn't work year 1, it's not working now.

I personally believe Babcock is the best coach in the league, that being said, yes Babcock puts himself in positions to win. Just like Bowman did. If that's a knock on Babcock, it's a really weak knock IMO. Him voluntarily leaving the team was the nail in our coffin.

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

It's what we deserve.

Self-loathing: So hot right now

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/10/19/chris-osgood-inevitable-steve-yzerman-returns-red-wings/1698438002/

"I know people are over Ken Holland, but he's the guy that built the team back in the early 1990s," Osgood told hosts Jamie Samuelsen and Mike Stone.

"He's a Hall-of-Fame GM. I think they'll wait for the right time.

"Eventually, I believe (Yzerman) will be here."

"Me guessing, yeah, I think it's inevitable that at some point in time he will be here," said Osgood, adding he hasn't talked to Yzerman about his plans.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Sorry I've been AWOL everyone, been traveling heavy for work lately.

Just need to pop my head in to share some possible insider info I picked up.

Recently had a long conversation with Kyle Kos, former 2nd round pick of TBL back in 97. He never made the NHL, but bounced around the AHL, ECHL, and a few other leagues throughout his career. However he did play for the Vipers and the Motor City Mechanics during the lockout when Chelios, Avery, and Hatcher were there. He became good friends with Chelly during that time and knows the Wings brass decently enough.

I believe @LeftWinger mentioned he heard a rumor from a friend of a Wings trainer earlier this season that Yzerman would be taking over in January. Obviously that didn't happen... or did it kinda?

Mr. Kos told me, in not so many words, that Yzerman has been running the Wings since pretty much the moment he stepped down as GM of Tampa. His "advisory role" with Tampa is all show, as he is actually advising the Wings behind the scenes. Holland is all but a figurehead, and his voice has come in second to Yzerman's all season. Any trades we witness over the next month will be the work of Stevie Y, not Holland.

Stevie will officially assume the title of GM when his contract on paper with Tampa expires this summer. At that time, Holland will graciously step-down and will join Seattle Hockey Ops under senior advisor Dave Tippett.

Just prior to meeting Kyle Kos, I remember reading an article in the Seattle Times that had an interview with Dave Tippett. In the article Tippett basically alluded to the fact that he already had someone penciled in as his GM, and that the name would be "surprising" if he was able to share it *cough* Ken Holland *cough*

TLDR: Yzerman is already Wings GM and Holland is already in Seattle all but physically.

EDIT: Kos also said Avery is a super nice/cool dude in real life, and Kid Rock is super insecure and tries to be "one of the boys" whenever he's with Chelly and other pro athletes, but it just comes off as insecure and sad lol

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Sorry I've been AWOL everyone, been traveling heavy for work lately.

Just need to pop my head in to share some possible insider info I picked up.

Recently had a long conversation with Kyle Kos, former 2nd round pick of TBL back in 97. He never made the NHL, but bounced around the AHL, ECHL, and a few other leagues throughout his career. However he did play for the Vipers and the Motor City Mechanics during the lockout when Chelios, Avery, and Hatcher were there. He became good friends with Chelly during that time and knows the Wings brass decently enough.

I believe @LeftWinger mentioned he heard a rumor from a friend of a Wings trainer earlier this season that Yzerman would be taking over in January. Obviously that didn't happen... or did it kinda?

Mr. Kos told me, in not so many words, that Yzerman has been running the Wings since pretty much the moment he stepped down as GM of Tampa. His "advisory role" with Tampa is all show, as he is actually advising the Wings behind the scenes. Holland is all but a figurehead, and his voice has come in second to Yzerman's all season. Any trades we witness over the next month will be the work of Stevie Y, not Holland.

Stevie will officially assume the title of GM when his contract on paper with Tampa expires this summer. At that time, Holland will graciously step-down and will join Seattle Hockey Ops under senior advisor Dave Tippett.

Just prior to meeting Kyle Kos, I remember reading an article in the Seattle Times that had an interview with Dave Tippett. In the article Tippett basically alluded to the fact that he already had someone penciled in as his GM, and that the name would be "surprising" if he was able to share it *cough* Ken Holland *cough*

TLDR: Yzerman is already Wings GM and Holland is already in Seattle all but physically.

EDIT: Kos also said Avery is a super nice/cool dude in real life, and Kid Rock is super insecure and tries to be "one of the boys" whenever he's with Chelly and other pro athletes, but it just comes off as insecure and sad lol

1. sup
  2. Interesting. Thanks for the secret intel dump.
  3. Probably unrelated but I remember last season Elliotte Friedman revealed that the Wings had been looking at Dave Tippett as a potential Blashill replacement. (Things were bad at the time.)

16 minutes ago, Dabura said:
  1. sup
  2. Interesting. Thanks for the secret intel dump.
  3. Probably unrelated but I remember last season Elliotte Friedman revealed that the Wings had been looking at Dave Tippett as a potential Blashill replacement. (Things were bad at the time.)

1. Me too, thanks
2. I made a illustration for our visual learners

LZz4L7h.jpg

3. Will be interesting to see what Yzerman does with Blashill. Does Stevie want to bring in his own guy?

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

1. Me too, thanks
2. I made a illustration for our visual learners

LZz4L7h.jpg

3. Will be interesting to see what Yzerman does with Blashill. Does Stevie want to bring in his own guy?

Nice ps skills bro. I dont know how true your rumour is, considering the source is someone who played for the vipers a while back. But it still makes me smile 

8 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Nice ps skills bro. I dont know how true your rumour is, considering the source is someone who played for the vipers a while back. But it still makes me smile 

Yeah sure, Kos could be some washed up old fool pulling my leg, he basically cited the fact that Chelios told him this.

I just thought it was interesting because when I brought up the rumors that "Yzerman will probably be GM soon" Kos was basically like "psssssst... you didn't hear this from me, but Yzerman already is GM ya dumby" definitely was a fun convo to have.