• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kliq

Steve Yzerman to step down as GM for TBL. Will serve in "Advisory Role".

Rate this topic

Yzerman interested in succeeding Glen Sather with the Rangers

Steve Yzerman, likely the hottest pending free agent in hockey, is amenable to being wooed by the Rangers to succeed Glen Sather as team president, multiple sources with knowledge of his thinking have told The Post.

Yzerman and John Davidson, who is expected to be at the Garden on Friday in his capacity as president of the Blue Jackets, are believed at the top of the list of candidates to replace Sather. 

Sather told The Post on Thursday that the objective is to have a president in place by July 1, if not by the June 21-22 draft that will be held in Vancouver.

Neither Mark Messier nor Wayne Gretzky is believed a candidate, but Brian Leetch, Dave Maloney and Brad Richards are former players who could merit consideration for the post.

Oh, hey, It's Larry Brooks.

Steve Yzerman, likely the hottest pending free agent in hockey, is amenable to being wooed by the Rangers to succeed Glen Sather as team president, multiple sources with knowledge of his thinking have told The Post.

hoo boy, scoop of the century

Now hold on: This does not mean that a deal is done. It is unknown whether the Blueshirts have yet asked for or received permission from Tampa Bay to speak to Yzerman, who is serving the final year of his contract as an adviser to the Lightning owner after having stepped down last September as general manager. Such a request, if not yet made, will be forthcoming.

hoo boy, we're doomed

It does not imply the job would automatically be offered following an interview with Jim Dolan, the Garden CEO who is running the search in coordination with Sather, who on Thursday announced his retirement from day-to-day life in the hockey department.

hoo boy, this is the worst day of my life

It also does not mean that Yzerman, who will be sought by a number of teams looking for either a GM or a president of hockey operations, would necessarily accept an offer if one were presented. He will have choices.

hoo boy, tell me more, larry

But it does mean that Yzerman, who for months has been believed headed back to the Red Wings organization with which he won three Stanley Cups as captain and with which he later spent time in the front office before taking over the Lightning in 2010, has not ruled out coming to New York.

So consider the first hurdle jumped.

hoo boy, might as well give the rangers the cup right now

6 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

The only 2 reasons for Yzerman to come to Detroit is if he either doesn't want to be a GM any more, or he's been told 100% Holland will not be the GM after next season.

... or ya know, maybe the reason he said in the Lightning press conference... He's stepping down, and moving back to Detroit to be closer to family...

Yzerman is not going to leave a powerhouse team that he built in sunny Florida, to go to a bottom feeder and remain away from his family. It's not going to happen.

Yzerman is moving back to Detroit. Whether or not he becomes the next Red Wings General Manager, or President of Hockey Operations, or some other role, is to be determined. But he is NOT going to take a job with another NHL team...

34 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I remember when Friedman broke the news that he heard Datsyuk was retiring early. Everyone was "no way that happens" .

Now, I know it's a stretch to make the comparison. But where there's smoke.....

Mickey actually broke that story, if memory serves.

But that's almost beside the point. "Datsyuk is probably retiring early" was a strong claim. If you read Brooks's piece, there's nothing there. He buries the lede underneath bulls***. Read this carefully:

Now hold on: This does not mean that a deal is done. It is unknown whether the Blueshirts have yet asked for or received permission from Tampa Bay to speak to Yzerman, who is serving the final year of his contract as an adviser to the Lightning owner after having stepped down last September as general manager. Such a request, if not yet made, will be forthcoming.

It does not imply the job would automatically be offered following an interview with Jim Dolan, the Garden CEO who is running the search in coordination with Sather, who on Thursday announced his retirement from day-to-day life in the hockey department.

It also does not mean that Yzerman, who will be sought by a number of teams looking for either a GM or a president of hockey operations, would necessarily accept an offer if one were presented. He will have choices.

But it does mean that Yzerman, who for months has been believed headed back to the Red Wings organization with which he won three Stanley Cups as captain and with which he later spent time in the front office before taking over the Lightning in 2010, has not ruled out coming to New York.

So consider the first hurdle jumped.

That's a window dressing way of saying a whole lot of nothing. But people see the headline and assume that this is a major development and Yzerman's all but agreed to join the Rangers.

12 hours ago, kylee said:

It’s ok guys we have Ken Holland and Jeff Blashill

I'm hoping Yzerman comes back to the Wings, but Holland not wanting to vacate the GM spot for him was part of the reason he left in the first place. Holland would for sure have to be moving up or moving on for Yzerman to come back, I figure. Maybe he'd agree to one season under Holland at most.

4 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I was thinking..Puppa never played for Detroit. Then i looked at his stats..one game for Adirondack.

Correct. He was under contract tho IIRC.

The New York media is almost as obnoxious as Toronto. If you listen to them, every year all the big name drops that are going to the Knicks. And yet theyve never won a championship that I can recall. Even when Patrick Ewing was there.

Bad Boys for life!

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Correct. He was under contract tho IIRC.

The New York media is almost as obnoxious as Toronto. If you listen to them, every year all the big name drops that are going to the Knicks. And yet theyve never won a championship that I can recall. Even when Patrick Ewing was there.

Bad Boys for life!

Nope, the Knicks didn't win anything in the Ewing era, besides a couple Conference titles in '94 and '99. Lost the Finals both times.