• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

GDT4!!!!

Rate this topic

3-0-0 to start is something, it is preseason, but it's a quality chance to see a lot of the kids all at once and what our potential future holds. 

Once the season starts, i'll start posting up some GDTs with graphics and whatnot, and as always, anyone else who wants to contribute is more than welcome.

Let's make it 4, i'll be at work for this one but will be checking up on the score. LGW!

13 minutes ago, MabusIncarnate said:

I think I feel a bit more comfortable in net now if Howard or Bernier goes out on injury, the fact alone that Sateri can hold a lead in the 3rd is something we haven't been able to say much in the last 3-4 seasons. He's been good.

He's looked solid. Seems to be a pretty big upgrade over Coreau in that 3G spot.

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Cholowski continues to impress. I think he's making a strong case to be first in line to grab one of the defense spots on opening night.

My guess is he, Sulak, Ras, and Svech make the opening roster. I also feel Veleno may be fast tracked similar to how Larkin was.

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

It's too bad Holland can't move Nielssen and Abdelkader.  That would be very helpful.

It's going to be a real problem next year. When Veleno and Zadina are full-timers. (And Hughes)

Nielsen is tradeable I think. Abdlekader? We're stuck with that lug forever. 

Rasmussen's definitely in. Svechnikov probably has a slight edge over Zadina (who doesn't look ready), but I'm not sure he's on pace to outright steal a top-nine job over the next couple of weeks, which probably means he'd be spending time on the fourth line, which might not be the best situation for his development. So, if Frk is good to start the season, maybe Rasmussen is the only rookie forward in the lineup. I think Veleno has done enough to at least earn himself an NHL audition, but there's really no place for him on the roster at this time, so you might as well just send him back to junior after a couple more exhibition games.

On D...I'm assuming Hicketts gets a spot, because I think everyone's ok with him spending time in the press box. So he's a kinda-sorta reserve, a 6D or 7D, depending on how Jensen and [other kid] are playing. I really don't know who [other kid] is going to be. The other day I said Hronek makes the most sense because he's a right-shooting PPQB and Blashill likes him as a PPQB and Green is out. But Hronek has looked a little shaky, and I still worry about his scrawny build (look how much physical abuse Green and Jensen take). Sulak has been impressive, but I feel like it's been sort of a superficial impressive; he's a fantastic forward-skater and puck-rusher, but Blashill said he needs to improve in certain areas and I don't necessarily disagree.

Of the four defensemen (five if you count Saarijarvi), Cholowski has impressed me the most. He's smooth, steady, poised, precise. He makes good decisions. He makes good passes. He can run a PP. He can kill penalties. My only concern is that, at this stage in his development, he needs to be playing big minutes in a big role and I'm not sure he'd have that opportunity as a Wing right now, even with Green out.

Edited by Dabura

So there are 4 spots going to kids. I believe Rasmussen has more than passed his audition. It's gonna be a close race between Zadina and Svech. On D, with all the talk of Hronek being the front runner, honestly I think Cholowski has been the one to earn the guaranteed spot on D. With Greens issue, it may not be a bottom 6 role either. He's done very well and there's no reason why he couldn't be top 4. The other D spot, IMO, is still up for grabs. It's a 3-way race between Hicketts, Hronek and Sulak. Back up front, if Frk is not ready to go, that opens up a 3rd forward spot to start the season.

Come Oct, we could be looking at Ras, Svech, Zadina, Cholowski and Hicketts all on the roster. Not to mention if Kronners knees cause him problems this year.