• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

Not sure Cholowski qualifies as a prospect anymore, but here ya go:

The education of Red Wings rookie Dennis Cholowski [ESPN]

There's a moment for athletes when a potential professional career goes from aspiration to possibility. Maybe it's a championship or an on-field achievement. Maybe it's simply finding the right place at the right time.

For Dennis Cholowski, it was a grade -- which is only appropriate for someone who prides himself on knowledge.

Playing with the Chilliwack Chiefs of the British Columbia Hockey League in 2015, Cholowski was a smallish defenseman about a year away from a growth spurt and a player with undeniable upside. He had been given a C ranking by NHL Central Scouting, which rolls out those grades three times a season. Earning a C ranking is exactly as it sounds -- average, unremarkable, a player seemingly destined to end up in the middle rounds of the NHL draft, if that.

However, Cholowski worked hard after an underwhelming previous season, and Central Scouting took notice. The C player was elevated to a B player in the rankings that landed around Christmastime. Suddenly, Cholowski had crept onto everyone's prospect radar.

In a season that has featured a bumper crop of great rookie defensemen -- Miro Heiskanen of Dallas, Henri Jokiharju of Chicago, Maxime Lajoie of Ottawa and 2018 No. 1 overall pick Rasmus Dahlin of Buffalo among them -- Cholowski has been outstanding, even as his team has lingered near the bottom of the Eastern Conference. There is a real notion that the Red Wings might be looking at the start of a first-pairing defenseman's career.

Was he ever overwhelmed by all these demands from the team?

"No, not really. I just think it's all cool," he said.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He never said NHL nets either

You will never achieve full mod status with that kind of attitude.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Thanks for the insight there Jeff.

Here's a hot take:

“Whenever Ken Holland is ready, that’s when he should replace me. Is that in a month, is that in two years, is that in a year? I can’t answer that question."

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

34 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Thanks for the insight there Jeff.

Here's a hot take:

“Whenever Ken Holland is ready, that’s when he should replace me. Is that in a month, is that in two years, is that in a year? I can’t answer that question."

I kinda like Blashill's phrasing, tbh. I see it as putting the ball firmly in the player's court, telling him he controls his own path. No unnecessary roadblocks; if he dominates the AHL next month, he gets called up.

Wasn't the same with, say, Mantha, who was more of a project (IMO).

Old-but-good Blashill thoughts on Zadina:

Blashill hints Filip Zadina might start season in Grand Rapids [The Detroit News]

“Filip Zadina will be a good player and there’s no doubt in my mind he may end up being a great player, he has the ability to do that,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “Understanding how to create space is something when you’re not super fast or super big, sometimes it takes a little while.”

Blashill used Tampa star forward Nikita Kucherov, whose playing style is similar to Zadina’s, as a player who spent time in the American League before graduating to the NHL and excelling.

“That’s the reality of a lot of guys like that, that aren’t super fast or aren’t real big,” Blashill said. “You have to learn through your hockey smarts to find that little bit of space in order to create more. Filip has been real close to make a number of plays. He’s had chances. They haven’t quite gone in yet, but they will go in.

“I don’t worry about him long term at all. Obviously in the short term, we’ll have to make decisions.”

Zadina has been fine defensively, Blashill said.

“He’s very accountable (defensively),” Blashill said. “It’s just a matter of what’s best for his offense. We want him to ultimately be an offensive star. So what is best to get him to that as quickly as possible?

“If in the end we decide it’s Grand Rapids, than great. Then, go down there and be a star.”

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

As much as I'm happy for his return...What's the chance of the 'team chemistry' being messed with?

:dntknw:

The thought's definitely crossed my mind. Same with Ericsson.

Of course, if we're being honest, the team hasn't been playing especially good hockey lately and is probably due for regression with or without Helm and Vanek and Ericsson.

9 minutes ago, Dabura said:

The thought's definitely crossed my mind. Same with Ericsson.

Of course, if we're being honest, the team hasn't been playing especially good hockey lately and is probably due for regression with or without Helm and Vanek and Ericsson.

Not sure what to hope for...Continued success, or having 'last years' Wings show up where we start having some losing streaks (thus confirming missing the playoffs).

What's scary is how many of our rivals are off to a bad start...The thought of the Pens/Hawks/Oilers winning the draft lottery makes me wanna vomit.

EDIT - http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Edited by F.Michael

15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Not sure what to hope for...Continued success, or having 'last years' Wings show up where we start having some losing streaks (thus confirming missing the playoffs).

Last season I learned that I really can't bring myself to root for losses unless we're solidly in the basement with, like, ten games left to play. :confused:

15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

What's scary is how many of our rivals are off to a bad start...The thought of the Pens/Hawks/Oilers winning the draft lottery makes me wanna vomit.

Also: LA, St. Louis, Florida, Anaheim. And Montreal will probably fall back into the mix. And Buffalo could easily fall back into the mix. Oh, and Colorado owns Ottawa's 1st round pick.

:plain:

Relevant:

25 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Last season I learned that I really can't bring myself to root for losses unless we're solidly in the basement with, like, ten games left to play. :confused:

Also: LA, St. Louis, Florida, Anaheim. And Montreal will probably fall back into the mix. And Buffalo could easily fall back into the mix. Oh, and Colorado owns Ottawa's 1st round pick.

:plain:

Relevant:

To be fair I could tolerate the Blues, and to a much lesser extent the Kings winning the lottery, but screw anyone else :lol:

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno with a big 6 point (3 goals, 3 assists) night, in a 7-1 win vs Moncton tonight. He now has 35 points (16 goals, 19 assists) through 22 games.

Ahhhhh yeah! 

Zadina scored tonight too. 7 goals in 18. 

Drummondville vs Halifax this afternoon, and Veleno had a goal and two assists and McIsaac had a goal and an assist. 

Veleno is now 5th in the league in points with 38 (17 goals, 21 assists) in 23 games and 4th in points per game with 1.65 PPG.

McIsaac is now 8th in the league in points for defensemen with 18 (6 goals, 12 assists) in 17 games and 4th in points per game with 1.06 PPG.

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Drummondville vs Halifax this afternoon, and Veleno had a goal and two assists and McIsaac had a goal and an assist. 

Veleno is now 5th in the league in points with 38 (17 goals, 21 assists) in 23 games and 4th in points per game with 1.65 PPG.

McIsaac is now 8th in the league in points for defensemen with 18 (6 goals, 12 assists) in 17 games and 4th in points per game with 1.06 PPG.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg