• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hey Joe, good to see ya.

How are the boys over at HF holdin' up? Jimmies still rustled up? I haven't stopped in to check on em this week

My jimmies will always be rustled between the pro-tankers and the people that try to defy greatness

Kind of surprised Kirby Dach wasn’t invited. Not sure what draft eligible did

The Prince Albert Raiders have two invited. Ian Scott is the best goalie in the West. Brett Leason is tearing the league up in scoring. Their team has lost once this year and is on a 19 game winning streak at the moment

Griffins win, Hronek finishes with a goal and an assist. That's 5 goals and 16 points in 17 games with the Griffins. Recall that he also put up a goal and two assists in his six-game stint with the Wings.

Dude's having himself a season.

5 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Not great enough tho

TBH, I'm ok with him staying down in GR a little longer. Let him keep tearing the AHL apart and gaining confidence and driving the Griffins to victory, as opposed to playing a minor role on a stumbling Wings team for just a few games.

Edited by Dabura

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Griffins win, Hronek finishes with a goal and an assist. That's 5 goals and 16 points in 17 games with the Griffins. Recall that he also put up a goal and two assists in his six-game stint with the Wings.

TBH, I'm ok with him staying down in GR a little longer. Let him keep tearing the AHL apart and gaining confidence and driving the Griffins to victory, as opposed to playing a minor role on a stumbling Wings team for just a few games.

Yeah, as much as I really, really want to see Hronek up with the Wings, I do agree with you. I'm never a fan of rushing young players, and if management believe he needs some more seasoning in the American League, I'm okay with that.

It's crazy to think though that after this season we could potentially see Hughes (it's going to happen), Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov and Hronek in the lineup replacing Nyquist, Vanek, de la Rose, Ehn and Kronwall... Nyquist would be a big loss, but overall a net gain, and we'd also be getting much younger, faster and skilled...

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

I won't be upset if he doesn't get called up, to be frank I'm not even that high on Hronek. If it was Mike Green we were losing I'd have liked it to be him, but since It's not I'm neither here nor there about it really. I just thought Blashill's choice of words were stupid and feel the need to poke fun.

16 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I won't be upset if he doesn't get called up, to be frank I'm not even that high on Hronek. If it was Mike Green we were losing I'd have liked it to be him, but since It's not I'm neither here nor there about it really. I just thought Blashill's choice of words were stupid and feel the need to poke fun.

I agree that Hronek would have been the likely call-up if Green were injured, but why aren't you that high on him? Where do you think he projects at the NHL level? I've been hot and cold on Hronek over the past couple years, but this past year, I've become very high on him. I think he's as close to a lock to become a top 4 NHL defenseman, and I think he has top 2-3 potential. He still needs to work on his defensive game, but that will come. He has elite offensive ability, currently sits 5th in points per game for defensemen in the AHL, and the 4 ahead of him are all older.

8 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that Hronek would have been the likely call-up if Green were injured, but why aren't you that high on him? Where do you think he projects at the NHL level? I've been hot and cold on Hronek over the past couple years, but this past year, I've become very high on him. I think he's as close to a lock to become a top 4 NHL defenseman, and I think he has top 2-3 potential. He still needs to work on his defensive game, but that will come. He has elite offensive ability, currently sits 5th in points per game for defensemen in the AHL, and the 4 ahead of him are all older.

I just haven't watched him close enough for long enough to have formed a decent opinion of him that I would trust. I'd be more inclined to believe your thoughts on him than my own, as I believe you've followed him more closely. My thoughts on him basically boil down to I think he could be great offensively, but will probably always struggle a bit in his own zone (Mike Green), but that's an extremely tentative opinion. 

26 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

The bolded part means he should no longer be playing in the AHL tbh

13 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I just haven't watched him close enough for long enough to have formed a decent opinion of him that I would trust. I'd be more inclined to believe your thoughts on him than my own, as I believe you've followed him more closely. My thoughts on him basically boil down to I think he could be great offensively, but will probably always struggle a bit in his own zone (Mike Green), but that's an extremely tentative opinion. 

I watched a good few Griffins games last season, only a handful so far this season, but from what I have seen, I've been very impressed (with his offensive game). His defensive game leaves much to be desired, but I'm hopeful that he'll figure it out. I think Green is a very apt comparison. He obviously won't ever be the offensive juggernaut that Green was in his prime Washington years(point per game defenseman), but he could be similar to what Green has been in Detroit the past few years (half a point per game defenseman). I'll take a younger version of what Green is now in our top 4 for the next 10+ years any day, and like I said, I still think he could develop more defensively.

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, as much as I really, really want to see Hronek up with the Wings, I do agree with you. I'm never a fan of rushing young players, and if management believe he needs some more seasoning in the American League, I'm okay with that.

It's crazy to think though that after this season we could potentially see Hughes (it's going to happen), Veleno, Zadina, Svechnikov and Hronek in the lineup replacing Nyquist, Vanek, de la Rose, Ehn and Kronwall... Nyquist would be a big loss, but overall a net gain, and we'd also be getting much younger, faster and skilled...

Why do you drop de la Rose out before Frk?

7 minutes ago, barabbas16 said:

Why do you drop de la Rose out before Frk?

Why do you question de la Rose and not Ehn? I personally like Frk more than either but also understand that none of de la Rose, Ehn or Frk should be in the long-term plans of the Wings...

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Why do you question de la Rose and not Ehn? I personally like Frk more than either but also understand that none of de la Rose, Ehn or Frk should be in the long-term plans of the Wings...

I just noticed that Frk didn't make your replaced players list.  So, it seemed like you must have liked him over de la Rose (and Ehn) and I was curious why.  Personal preference works, though.  I get it.

Now that you mention it, I would keep Ehn over Frk also.  But, I guess I just like de la Rose a little bit better, just on reflex - I didn't really think much about my previous post and de la Rose came to mind before Ehn. Although, I can see the argument that de la Rose has had more of a chance to prove his value at the NHL level than has Ehn.... so maybe de la Rose is what he is and we know that, but Ehn might have more to show (positively) that we haven't seen.

I don't hate Frk or anything, I just think de la Rose or Ehn would be better options as a reserve forward for Detroit next season.  I was a little surprised that they brought Frk back this season, to be honest.

4 hours ago, barabbas16 said:

I just noticed that Frk didn't make your replaced players list.  So, it seemed like you must have liked him over de la Rose (and Ehn) and I was curious why.  Personal preference works, though.  I get it.

Now that you mention it, I would keep Ehn over Frk also.  But, I guess I just like de la Rose a little bit better, just on reflex - I didn't really think much about my previous post and de la Rose came to mind before Ehn. Although, I can see the argument that de la Rose has had more of a chance to prove his value at the NHL level than has Ehn.... so maybe de la Rose is what he is and we know that, but Ehn might have more to show (positively) that we haven't seen.

I don't hate Frk or anything, I just think de la Rose or Ehn would be better options as a reserve forward for Detroit next season.  I was a little surprised that they brought Frk back this season, to be honest.

I like Frk more because of the offense and the fact that he's a right-handed shot. I don't see de la Rose or Ehn as anything more than an Andersson or Emmerton type player. But like I said, all three are very replaceable, so whoever we keep out of the three, would hopefully be our 13th/14th forward. And if that's the case, I'd be okay with letting all three go, and giving the spot to Witkowski or literally any veteran forward. Or maybe that spot goes to a Pope or Smith or some other current borderline prospect.

Point being, I never put too much thought into which of the plugs we're replacing, just that we will hopefully be replacing some of them with some young, high end skill guys.