• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

Veleno with another huge game tonight. 2 goals, 3 assists, 10 shots on goal in a 6-3, come from behind win. He's closing in on that 2 points per game pace, with 51 points (22 goals, 29 assists) in 27 games, 1.89 PTS/G. He's now 4 points behind the league lead, with 3 less games played. Kid is an absolute beast. Looking forward to see him turn pro next season (hopefully with the Red Wings).

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno with another huge game tonight. 2 goals, 3 assists, 10 shots on goal in a 6-3, come from behind win. He's closing in on that 2 points per game pace, with 51 points (22 goals, 29 assists) in 27 games, 1.89 PTS/G. He's now 4 points behind the league lead, with 3 less games played. Kid is an absolute beast. Looking forward to see him turn pro next season (hopefully with the Red Wings).

[maniacal laughter]

45 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

What does he have to do to beat out Wade "Despicable" Megan?  5 pts a game pace?  Being the guy up already.  Jesus.

He can't be brought up mid season. We've been over this...

He will continue to torch the Q this season, and turn pro next season. 

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

He can't be brought up mid season. We've been over this...

He will continue to torch the Q this season, and turn pro next season. 

I'd also like to to add; Being incredibly hot in juniors doesn't suddenly mean you're ready to tear up the pro level. Obviously I'm thrilled and extremely optimistic at this point regarding Joe Veleno, but I'd like to see him continue this dominance for the rest of the season. Get that confidence to an all time high and come into training camp next year looking to impress. 

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I'm not satisfied with it.

Bolded. 

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

12 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I'd also like to to add; Being incredibly hot in juniors doesn't suddenly mean you're ready to tear up the pro level. Obviously I'm thrilled and extremely optimistic at this point regarding Joe Veleno, but I'd like to see him continue this dominance for the rest of the season. Get that confidence to an all time high and come into training camp next year looking to impress. 

No! F*** the rules! F*** logic! I want him up NOW!!!

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I know we can't pull him up to GR, but I don't see anywhere in the rules where we can't give him time in the NHL.

To be honest, I searched high and low for something stating this rule yesterday, and I couldn't find it anywhere... It was always my understanding though, that once a player was sent down to the CHL, he could not be recalled again (unless an emergency recall situation) until their team's season was finished (including playoffs). Again, I can't find anything definitive, so I could be wrong, but that was always my understanding of the rule. If anyone else knows for sure, please let us know.

I'm curious more than anything. I still think Veleno would be better off finishing this season, dominating the Q, and go on a meaningful playoff run with Drummondville, rather than playing bottom six center (or wing) with the likes of Glendening, de la Rose, Ehn, etc. on a team that likely won't make the playoffs.

If Drummondville get upset early in the playoffs and Grand Rapids go on a bit of a run, give him a look in the A for a few games. If not, make sure he has a good summer of training, and be ready to make the jump to Detroit (or Grand Rapids) next season.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

To be honest, I searched high and low for something stating this rule yesterday, and I couldn't find it anywhere... It was always my understanding though, that once a player was sent down to the CHL, he could not be recalled again (unless an emergency recall situation) until their team's season was finished (including playoffs). Again, I can't find anything definitive, so I could be wrong, but that was always my understanding of the rule. If anyone else knows for sure, please let us know.

I'm curious more than anything. I still think Veleno would be better off finishing this season, dominating the Q, and go on a meaningful playoff run with Drummondville, rather than playing bottom six center (or wing) with the likes of Glendening, de la Rose, Ehn, etc. on a team that likely won't make the playoffs.

If Drummondville get upset early in the playoffs and Grand Rapids go on a bit of a run, give him a look in the A for a few games. If not, make sure he has a good summer of training, and be ready to make the jump to Detroit (or Grand Rapids) next season.

Pretty much how I understand it too. You get 10 games at the start of the season to decide. Either he makes the roster.full time or he goes back to juniors for the year. The Q is not a minor league, you can't send players back and forth.

3 hours ago, Buppy said:

Interesting info there. Apparently we could recall Veleno after the WJC. Not that I think we will, or should. 

That's IF Veleno makes the Canadian World Junior team. As great of a season as Veleno is having, I dont think he's a lock. I think both he and McIsaac are on the bubble of making the team.

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's IF Veleno makes the Canadian World Junior team. As great of a season as Veleno is having, I dont think he's a lock. I think both he and McIsaac are on the bubble of making the team.

Well. He can't be that great of a prospect then. 

8 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Well. He can't be that great of a prospect then. 

I think you're being a little facetious, but if not, Canada are stacked (as they always are), and most of the "locks" are returning players and / or players from the 2017 Draft. Of the 19 forwards that made the selection roster, 12 are 2017 draftees, 4 are 2018, 2 are 2019 (one of which is an over-ager), and 1 is 2020. The odds are definitely stacked against any of the younger players. It's a pretty huge accomplishment to crack that squad in your draft year.

One thing that could increase Veleno's odds is that they're looking to have a lot of speed on the team, and he's probably one of the fastest players (best skaters) on that selection roster.

One thing that could hold him back though is that there are a lot of really good centers that should be ahead of him in the pecking order. There are 7 from the 2017 Draft (Glass, Vilardi, Suzuki, Frost, Bowers, Anderson-Dolan and Studnicka), 4 drafted ahead of him in the 2018 Draft (Hayton, Dellandrea and Foudy), and a late bloomer eligible for the 2019 Draft (19 year old Leason). If he does make the team, it would likely be as a winger. By the way, not a single one of those 7 2017 draftees made the 2018 Canadian World Junior Team Canada roster.

I'll be a little disappointed if Veleno doesn't crack the roster, only because I want to see how he can do against the best of the best in his age bracket. But if he doesn't make it, it certainly wouldn't mean he's "not that great of a prospect".

9 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Translation = I owe Jonas an apology.

:lol: For what?

You said he should be called up now. He can't be called up until after the WJC, and (see above) it's a bit of a long shot...

Looking at the WJC schedule...Canada is dissing 'Murica...All of our games will be played at the much smaller 'Save On Foods Memorial Center'  (I didn't spell it Centre cuz I'm dissin them too)...

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-canada/men/junior/2018-19/world-championship/stats/schedule?tournament=true