• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I think you're being a little facetious, but if not, Canada are stacked (as they always are), and most of the "locks" are returning players and / or players from the 2017 Draft. Of the 19 forwards that made the selection roster, 12 are 2017 draftees, 4 are 2018, 2 are 2019 (one of which is an over-ager), and 1 is 2020. The odds are definitely stacked against any of the younger players. It's a pretty huge accomplishment to crack that squad in your draft year.

One thing that could increase Veleno's odds is that they're looking to have a lot of speed on the team, and he's probably one of the fastest players (best skaters) on that selection roster.

One thing that could hold him back though is that there are a lot of really good centers that should be ahead of him in the pecking order. There are 7 from the 2017 Draft (Glass, Vilardi, Suzuki, Frost, Bowers, Anderson-Dolan and Studnicka), 4 drafted ahead of him in the 2018 Draft (Hayton, Dellandrea and Foudy), and a late bloomer eligible for the 2019 Draft (19 year old Leason). If he does make the team, it would likely be as a winger. By the way, not a single one of those 7 2017 draftees made the 2018 Canadian World Junior Team Canada roster.

I'll be a little disappointed if Veleno doesn't crack the roster, only because I want to see how he can do against the best of the best in his age bracket. But if he doesn't make it, it certainly wouldn't mean he's "not that great of a prospect".

:lol: For what?

You said he should be called up now. He can't be called up until after the WJC, and (see above) it's a bit of a long shot...

Fair enough.  At least someone found the rules!  I looked for a while like you did.

On 12/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, Buppy said:

Interesting info there. Apparently we could recall Veleno after the WJC. Not that I think we will, or should. 

We cannot recall Veleno at all, he is NOT under contract with us. Guhle is currently under contract with Buffalo.  If Veleno signs a contract after WJC, then yes, we can recall him. Not being under contract means he would not be paid...

12 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Limited scoring upside! Career middle-sixer!

Yeah, bunch of idiots on the Network trying to justify why he dropped all the way to 30th overall. He was in Bob McKenzie's Pre-Season Top 5 last year. He was consistently in everyone's top 10-15 all season. He drops and all of a sudden he's likely a "3rd line center"... You know who else was projected to be a "middle six center with limited offensive upside"? Dylan mother f***ing Larkin! That's who!

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, bunch of idiots on the Network trying to justify why he dropped all the way to 30th overall. He was in Bob McKenzie's Pre-Season Top 5 last year. He was consistently in everyone's top 10-15 all season. He drops and all of a sudden he's likely a "3rd line center"... You know who else was projected to be a "middle six center with limited offensive upside"? Dylan mother f***ing Larkin! That's who!

PREACH!

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Apparently 'they' didn't see the D-Boss video on YouTube...

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Those hands.. That release... :wub:

:lol: Yup. He sure dangled the hell out of no one there. Pretty standard looking hands and release to me. 

Pretty sure if Veleno fed the correct change into a vending machine you'd be singing his praises and handing him the #2 C postion with the Red Wings in 2020. 

7 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

:lol: Yup. He sure dangled the hell out of no one there. Pretty standard looking hands and release to me. 

Pretty sure if Veleno fed the correct change into a vending machine you'd be singing his praises and handing him the #2 C postion with the Red Wings in 2020. 

You really take issue with me hyping Veleno don't you?

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

You really take issue with me hyping Veleno don't you?

I think there has to be a real reason he fell in the draft. You don't.

Except I trust the opinion of all the GMs and their amatuer scouting staffs who passed on him more than I trust you opinion that they were wrong. 

It's nothing personal. 

55 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Except I trust the opinion of all the GMs and their amatuer scouting staffs who passed on him more than I trust you opinion that they were wrong. 

It's nothing personal. 

To be fair, just because there's a reason doesn't mean it's a good one. Why are any players who turn out great taken later in the draft than they should've been? It just happens. 

Folks praised the pick, he showed well in camp, he's currently dominating his respective league. I think It's alright to be optimistic at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

To be fair, just because there's a reason doesn't mean it's a good one. Why are any players who turn out great taken later in the draft than they should've been? It just happens. 

Folks praised the pick, he showed well in camp, he's currently dominating his respective league. I think It's alright to be optimistic at this point. 

Sure it is. Just not blindingly so. The knock on him was his shot I believe. I'll wait to see how he gets along vs pro goalies before I start gloating and calling other analysts "idiots" for trying to explain why he fell in the draft. 

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It's nothing personal. 

It's his skating.  Larkin is a jet with unlimited fuel.  Veleno is a Cessna.  We will see if he puts in the lower body work or not over the next couple of summers.

12 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Sure it is. Just not blindingly so. The knock on him was his shot I believe. I'll wait to see how he gets along vs pro goalies before I start gloating and calling other analysts "idiots" for trying to explain why he fell in the draft. 

I don't see how It's blind. He's a prospect dominating his peers, that's kind of the evidence you look for. Do you not think if the draft was redone right now he would be taken higher?

If we're just going to assume everybody but us knows better and not speculate with the evidence available to us about prospects, we might as well never discuss them at all. What fun is that? 

For whatever reason Velano didn't have a particularly outstanding draft year.  That's why he, rightfully so, fell to number 30.  I think this year he has more than redeemed himself.  If the draft were held today I don't think he would fall that far. We lucked out.  be happy.

2 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It's nothing personal. 

I do think there's a real reason he fell in the draft. The reason? 20 GM's are idiots...

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Who's blindingly hyping Veleno? I'm not blind *******. I can see just fine... :tounge:

Yes, the knock on him was his shot, but playmaking centers with elite skating don't need to rely on a great shot. 

2 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Barzal and Boeser dropped in 2015 to 16 and 23 respectively, for good reason... GM's are idiots...

Players drop every year in the draft. Veleno dropped big time. We lucked out getting him. He's exceeded expectations since being drafted. People are excited about him as a prospect. That upsets@The 91 of Ryans...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Barzal and Boeser dropped in 2015 to 16 and 23 respectively, for good reason... GM's are idiots...

Players drop every year in the draft. Veleno dropped big time. We lucked out getting him. He's exceeded expectations since being drafted. People are excited about him as a prospect. That upsets@The 91 of Ryans...

When I was a freshman I college, I could kick ass on high school sophomores and juniors too.  I want him up to see how freshman boy plays against the alumni.

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

When I was a freshman I college, I could kick ass on high school sophomores and juniors too.  I want him up to see how freshman boy plays against the alumni.

I said the same thing about Michael Rasmussen.  I was wrong.  Plus, Veleno is one of the younger guys in that draft class.  Still only 18.  So while he's got more experience than the younger guys in the league, he's really not that much older. 

Developmental paths are tricky.  Two years ago, after his year at St. Cloud State (draft year plus one), Cholowski was considered a bust.  He then dominated Juniors the following year and the rest is history. 

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Alright alright. I give. Totally wasn't trying to jurco you around. I was just trying to rekindl some decent debate on here. I think you guys just smithed my point a little. I really am pulkining for Veleno to do well. I was just sheanan silly. Rock n' Sproul boys. Rock n' Sproul.

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

43 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Alright alright. I give. Totally wasn't trying to jurco you around. I was just trying to rekindl some decent debate on here. I think you guys just smithed my point a little. I really am pulkining for Veleno to do well. I was just sheanan silly. Rock n' Sproul boys. Rock n' Sproul.

Ooh I get it now... Because some once highly regarded prospects flamed out, that means we can't or shouldn't get excited about any high end prospects again... The ol' frankgrimes mentality... Never have high expectations and you'll never be disappointed... err you'll be pleasantly surprised or some s***... :rolleyes:

Veleno is not Jurco or Pulkkinen or any of those other bums. Veleno is a legit high end prospect. I think he's a 2C with 1C potential. The biggest thing that separates him from any of the guys you mentioned above... inner drive. He works his ass off and always wants to find ways to improve his game... Not to mention, he's an elite skater, and a very good puck handler and passer.