• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Holland interview with NHL.com

https://www.nhl.com/news/detroit-red-wings-will-entertain-trade-offers/c-304544204

"We're going to give Zadina a little bit of an opportunity in March. I want him or the young players to see what the NHL is all about, so as they head into the offseason [they know what they need to work on]. I think a young player can really improve in the gym between June and August."

I hope Zadina is up for a stint right after the deadline. I'll be at a couple games in early March, and it would be awesome to see him live.

Gonna be at the Wings game in Vegas Mar 23, hope he's playing then

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Filip Hronek with two goals tonight for the Griffs.  Does he even still count as a prospect at this point?

The Griffins were down 1-0 with less than two minutes remaining, and The Moose took two consecutive penalties. We pulled Sateri to make it a 6 on 3, and Hronek scored a one-timer off a pass from Zadina. They put Sateri back in, and immediately gained control, set up for the 5 on 4 and scored less than a minute later with 25 seconds remaining. Big win, and big night for Hronek. Zadina played an okay game. Had a really good chance early in the game, but was robbed. Lashoff also scored what would have been the tying goal earlier in the 3rd, but it was negated due to goaltender interference by Rasmussen. 

As nice as it is to see Hronek dominating down in the AHL, he really should be in the NHL.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

The Griffins were down 1-0 with less than two minutes remaining, and The Moose took two consecutive penalties. We pulled Sateri to make it a 6 on 3, and Hronek scored a one-timer off a pass from Zadina. They put Sateri back in, and immediately gained control, set up for the 5 on 4 and scored less than a minute later with 25 seconds remaining. Big win, and big night for Hronek. Zadina played an okay game. Had a really good chance early in the game, but was robbed. Lashoff also scored what would have been the tying goal earlier in the 3rd, but it was negated due to goaltender interference by Rasmussen. 

As nice as it is to see Hronek dominating down in the AHL, he really should be in the NHL.

I hope to god we trade a few d’s and make room for hronek to play the last twenty games and get further nhl experience , he can then go back down for a griffins playoff run 

Came here to post that McIsaac has 42 pts in 36 games, but looks like we're already talking about it.
I still maintain he's going to turn out to be better than Veleno or Zadina.

Sidenote, I've been watching Lethbridge and Cozens play a lot recently. I'm not all that impressed with Cozens. He's very big and athletic for a 17 year old. His body looks NHL ready... I just don't see the overwhelming dominance that justifies the talk of him being a potential 1st overall player. I think you go Hughes or Kakko without a doubt.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Came here to post that McIsaac has 42 pts in 36 games, but looks like we're already talking about it.

Sidenote, I've been watching Lethbridge and Cozens play a lot recently. I'm not all that impressed with Cozens. He's very big and athletic for a 17 year old. His body looks NHL ready... I just don't see the overwhelming dominance that justifies the talk of him being a potential 1st overall player. I think you go Hughes or Kakko without a doubt.

Hughes, Kakko, Krebs. They muh boyz.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Huh? Who's ever said this? Cozens will likely be a top 5 pick, maybe even top 3, but I don't think a single person has suggested he would go 1st overall... It will be Hughes or Kakko. I'd still be shocked if whoever wins the lottery doesn't pick Hughes though.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Huh? Who's ever said this? Cozens will likely be a top 5 pick, maybe even top 3, but I don't think a single person has suggested he would go 1st overall... It will be Hughes or Kakko. I'd still be shocked if whoever wins the lottery doesn't pick Hughes though.

Sorry, I haven't really been following draft talk since like September/October, and there was lots of talk of Hughes #1 and Cozens #2 then.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maineicehockey/status/1094392597554941952

Not a 2018 pick but chase Pearson just got his 15th  .... zadina also scored for Grand Rapids on a Ppl 

https://mobile.twitter.com/griffinshockey/status/1094404637849989120

Zadina’s goal 

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Filip Zadina will play some games for Red Wings before season ends [MLive.com]

“Before the end the season, I want Z to play some NHL games,” Holland said. “I don’t know when, I don’t know how many. As we go into the off-season, I think it’ll be important for him to play some games in the NHL and get a feel for what the next level is all about.”

“I think he’s had a good year,” Holland said. “He’s had some nights when he’s been very, very good, he’s had some nights when he hasn’t been a big factor and he’s had lots of nights when he’s looked like an American League player. I think that’s part of the process. He’s a 19-year-old playing in a league with a lot of guys that are 23 to 29. They’re bigger, stronger and more experienced. It’s going to be a real important year for him in terms of understanding how hard pro hockey is and the importance of hitting the gym in the summer and make adjustments.”

Holland said the toughest adjustment for Zadina (6-0, 190) has been competing against stronger players and not having as much space.

“Just learning how to be successful with less space,” Holland said. “Those puck battles in the corner where the guys bigger and stronger, you got to win a percentage of those in order to have puck possession.”

“It not smooth sailing all the time,” Holland said. “You’re going to lose your confidence. You’re not going to get as many minutes as you want. The other teams, players and coaches, as you become a better player, they’re trying to neutralize you.

“I believe he’s going to score goals in the National Hockey League. I can’t tell you when. I got to make sure we do what’s in the best interest of that player, not what’s in the best interest of the team or selling tickets. It’s got to be in the best interest of developing that young player and putting him in a position to become the very best he can be and fulfill whatever potential they have.”

Filip Zadina will get shot in NHL before end of the season [The Detroit News]

For sure, Zadina will not play more than nine games with the Wings, which will likely happen in March after the Feb. 25 trade deadline.

Playing more than nine games would burn one year off Zadina’s entry-level NHL contract, which the Wings don’t want to do at this point.

It would also force the Wings to use a spot to protect Zadina in the 2021 expansion draft when Seattle enters the league.

In other Czechbro news, Hronek is killing it in the AHL this season to the tune of 7 goals and 23 points thru 27 games.

While he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his stints with the Wings this season, he did quietly manage to register 3 goals and 10 points thru 23 games. That's roughly a 40-point pace. Not that I think he would've hit 40 points in a full 2018-19 season with the Wings (see: Cholowski hitting a brick wall after his very impressive start), but the point is he remains a very promising offensive defenseman.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

In other Czechbro news, Hronek is killing it in the AHL this season to the tune of 7 goals and 23 points thru 27 games.

While he hasn't exactly set the world on fire in his stints with the Wings this season, he did quietly manage to register 3 goals and 10 points thru 23 games. That's roughly a 40-point pace. Not that I think he would've hit 40 points in a full 2018-19 season with the Wings (see: Cholowski hitting a brick wall after his very impressive start), but the point is he remains a very promising offensive defenseman.

Hronek is destroying the AHL. 

I think he's going to be my favorite defenseman 2 years from now! 

I really don't get Cholowski. 8 pts in his first 11 games... then another 8 in his next 40...

I assume this is because the first 11 games he was basically the #1 Dman due to all of our Dmen being injured? Now he's like the 6-7-8th Dman and doesn't have the same assignment allowing him to score? Still, 18 minutes a night should allow a playmaking Dman to score I would think... Hronek seems to be able too.

The -20 is particularly damning.

Not sure if he's being too sheltered or being rushed too soon...

I feel like Hronek should be in over Cholo

7 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Hronek is destroying the AHL. 

I think he's going to be my favorite defenseman 2 years from now! 

I feel like he's more dynamic than people think. Even me describing him as an "offensive defenseman" in my previous post sells him a bit short, IMO. He's got some snarl in his game and I feel he has the capacity to be a legit all-situations two-way guy, kind of like Kronwall. Like Blashill says, he's a baller.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I really don't get Cholowski. 8 pts in his first 11 games... then another 8 in his next 40...

I assume this is because the first 11 games he was basically the #1 Dman due to all of our Dmen being injured? Now he's like the 6-7-8th Dman and doesn't have the same assignment allowing him to score? Still, 18 minutes a night should allow a playmaking Dman to score I would think... Hronek seems to be able too.

The -20 is particularly damning.

Not sure if he's being too sheltered or being rushed too soon...

I feel like Hronek should be in over Cholo

I guess it was to be expected. Eventually stuff balances out and you see where a player is truly at. Cholowski came into this season as a raw but promising offensive defenseman who has a whole lot to learn about defending. He rode some big minutes and a wave of confidence and he caught the league off-guard, but the league caught on and now he's being exposed as...a raw but promising offensive defenseman who has a whole lot to learn about defending.

I'm surprised he hasn't been sent to Grand Rapids. Seems Blashill and Holland believe that him taking his lumps in the NHL is what's best for him, which I'm ok with. I suppose there's an element of "We can't not have a rookie defenseman in the lineup every night. Not in a transition year." A lot of the shot-callers in the organization have said they want to bring our top prospects along more quickly than they have in years past.