• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

This is fantasy hockey stuff but I'ma post it anyway because it says nice things about Veleno and McIsaac:

Projecting Prospect Point Potential Using PNHLe: Veleno, Fox, Batherson, & Pilut [DobberProspects]

Joe VelenoDetroit Red Wings – PNHLe (74)

Of all the drafted forwards currently playing outside of the NHL, Veleno holds the highest PNHLe by a fairly wide margin. I think most would agree that his fall down the first round of the NHL draft board last summer was a surprise, especially as a player who was originally granted ‘exceptional status’ in the QMJHL. Nonetheless, it means that because he was drafted 30th overall, fantasy GMs may not value him as highly as they should. The fact that he’s produced 98 points in only 51 games suggests that door is quickly closing and a fantasy team in rebuild mode should take the risk in acquiring him prior to your league’s trade deadline before his stock continues to rise.

Closest Comparables – Travis Konecny (Sarnia Sting: 2015-16), Nikolaj Ehlers (Halifax Mooseheads: 2014-15), Alex Galchenyuk (Sarnia Sting: 2012-13)

Jared McIsaacDetroit Red Wings – PNHLe (69)

Many prognosticators predicted that McIsaac would end up getting picked in the latter part of the first round in 2018. However, like many of Detroit’s other draft picks, McIsaac seemed to land in the Red Wings’ lap and they may laugh all the way to the bank with the 36th overall pick. As a former second overall pick in the QMJHL 2016 draft, his offensive upside seemed to stagnate in Halifax and he was seen as more of a shut-down defenseman until he broke out this season and has scored 55 points in only 43 games. He also earned a spot on a very deep Canadian World Junior roster and showed well in the tournament before an early departure. It’s unlikely he’ll end up matching the upside of some of his comparables, but the fact that he’s taken a huge step forward and is in a Red Wings organization that is desperately looking for the next defender to take over the top power play quarterback position bodes well for his chances.

Closest Comparables: Sam Girard (Shawinigan Cataractes: 2016-17), John Carlson (London Knights: 2008-09), Ryan Ellis (Windsor Spitfires: 2009-10)

Edited by Dabura

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

First year in Division 1 he has 3 pts in 16 games. Not a lot to take away. It's impressive that he's in division 1 at 18 years old but he's not a go to guy or anything. 

Also, if I remember right, he suffered a back injury and has been out months.

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

daaaang son

His pace during this current call up would make him the most productive player per game in the entire Liiga, behind only former NHLer Jussi Jokinen. And he's doing this on the worst team in the Liiga.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Here's a stats-heavy piece on Hronek:

Filip Hronek's Ice Time Continues to Rise and He's Earned It [WingsNation]

(The author seems to believe Daley shoots right. I dunno.)

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

His pace during this current call up would make him the most productive player per game in the entire Liiga, behind only former NHLer Jussi Jokinen. And he's doing this on the worst team in the Liiga.

Finnish Mafia when?

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Here's a stats-heavy piece on Hronek:

Filip Hronek's Ice Time Continues to Rise and He's Earned It [WingsNation]

(The author seems to believe Daley shoots right. I dunno.)

Finnish Mafia when?

When we throw 2.5 at Filppula to replace Nielsen, who replaced Weiss, who replaced Filppula, who now ironically plays for the Islanders for half the cost of Nielsen.

For perspective: Kakko has 34 in 42 games and is the consensus #2 for the 2019 draft, while Kivenmaki has 14 in 30 this season in the Liiga. Considering Kivenmaki has 11 of those 14 points in his last 9 games is VERY encouraging. Kakko is almost exactly 1 year younger and is like 7" taller and 60 pounds heavier than Otto. Kivenmaki is now producing in a mens league at about the same clip as Kakko despite his size.  Hes still a long shot for the nhl, but hes making the right strides in that direction. From what I've heard he's not exactly a defensive slouch either. Gives me tingles of Datsyuk. The ONLY thing holding this kid back is size. He's tiny. If our nutritionists can get him to become a Marty St Louis beefcake we might really have something here.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

15 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

For perspective: Kakko has 34 in 42 games and is the consensus #2 for the 2019 draft, while Kivenmaki has 14 in 30 this season in the Liiga. Considering Kivenmaki has 11 of those 14 points in his last 9 games is VERY encouraging. Kakko is almost exactly 1 year younger and is like 7" taller and 60 pounds heavier than Otto. Kivenmaki is now producing in a mens league at about the same clip as Kakko despite his size.  Hes still a long shot for the nhl, but hes making the right strides in that direction. From what I've heard he's not exactly a defensive slouch either. Gives me tingles of Datsyuk. The ONLY thing holding this kid back is size. He's tiny. If our nutritionists can get him to become a Marty St Louis beefcake we might really have something here.

Size doesnt matter

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Can confirm. I have no idea how to use my 9" shnotzengruben so it's pretty much wasted.

Throw it on the grill. Slap it in a kaiser bun. Smother it with suerkraut and Dusseldorf mustard.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Ramblings (March 11) [DobberProspects]

Detroit’s seventh-round selection Otto Kivenmäki has been on fire lately. He started the season with three points in 21 games but since then he’s put up 12 points in 11 games. His team Ässät has had a horrible season as they’re dead last in the Liiga but Kivenmäki has been a bright spot on the team. He’s been a center in junior but has played mostly wing at the pro level. Because of his size (5-9, 146), it’s very likely he stays at wing for good. He’s been playing on their top line and getting very good ice time since the calendar flipped to 2019.

I think our top five picks last year were the best in many years.  But I think we have some gems in the bottom four also.  Eliasson is having a great season.  O'Reilly was my fav late pick at the draft and although he didn't seem to put up the same numbers as last year he remains my favourite.  Brattstrom is doing well but may be up against it with our blossoming prospect depth in goal.  Kivenmaki his everyone rooting for him and as responded well.