• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Veleno is one of the best players in the QMJHL. He has the 2nd best points per game in the entire league, and he's putting up these points in his draft +1 season. It's not like he's an overager. Maxime Comtois, the only player in the league ahead of him, is a full year older. I agree that he needs to prove it at the next level, but he hasn't yet had that opportunity. He looked very impressive in training camp last fall, and I'm sure he'll look even better this fall. He has an outside chance to start next season in Detroit, but he will likely start in Grand Rapids. Regardless where he starts, I'm sure he will continue to impress.

I hope you are right.  We need good players.

For those with subscriptions to the Athletic, Max Bultman just dropped a profile on Joe Veleno.  Not much by way of hockey, but if you're into the human interest part of fandom then you may like it. 

https://theathletic.com/863082/2019/03/19/in-drummondville-the-red-wings-future-is-in-a-playoff-push/

14 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Not excited.  Quebec Major JUNIOR Hockey League.  As in 16 year olds.  Veleno needs to do it 2 levels higher now.  My favorite part about Veleno is his maturity, and that's why I have high Hope's for him.  But his competition level is so poor right now, that I'm not putting any stock into his production levels.  

(Sorry to be Debbie Downer, btw.)

What would you consider impressive? 200 points? 300 points? AA wouldnt be any better. He cant control the level of his competition. All he can do is go out and dominate. Which he has done.

49 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Meh. They're both busts like that Zagina guy.

Nah they may turn out...  :-)    Zadina needs to reinvent his game, flying the zone waiting for a breakaway pass doesn't work on every shift in the NHL.  This is why hes pretty good in the AHL and was invisible for 8 of 9 games he played up.  What once worked doesn't anymore and he's back to the drawing board.

Just now, mackel said:

Nope just a realist with eyes and an opinion (you don't seem to like).

If you've watched him at all this season, you know that

1. "flying the zone waiting for a breakaway pass" is not an actual thing with him
  2. his game doesn't need to be drastically reinvented
  3. he wasn't invisible in his 9 NHL games

That being said, you are a quality troll and I respect you on that level.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

1. "flying the zone waiting for a breakaway pass" is not an actual thing with him

You know what I like about you, you find the good in everyone.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

His troll game is so strong I don't even know if he's trolling, so I just stopped acknowledging him entirely. Hard to argue with his major defense of 'that's my opinion, substance be damned.' 

38 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

His troll game is so strong I don't even know if he's trolling, so I just stopped acknowledging him entirely. Hard to argue with his major defense of 'that's my opinion, substance be damned.' 

The substance is quite simple... he's been mediocre most nights in the AHL, his goal total is helped dramatically by multi goal games followed by long stretches of diddly.  His NHL stint was underwhelming to say the least... though I grant you the sample size there is small

Nothing about this season says star or superstar it says middle 6 forward who will intrigue and disappoint. 

I'd be interested in what others see... because I'm not overly impress with that I've seen.

57 minutes ago, kickazz said:

You know what I like about you, you find the good in everyone.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

It was... hence the trying to reinvent himself with limited success this far.

1. his game doesn't need to be drastically reinvented
  2. he wasn't invisible in his 9 NHL games

> Me, before we'd even drafted Zadina:

"His defensive game is actually surprisingly good for a scoring winger."

> Blashill:

"His defensive game is actually surprisingly good for a scoring winger. He just needs time to adjust to the pace and checking of pro hockey. I'm not worried about him. He'll be fine."

(Blashill makes this same point several times over the course of the season.)

> mackel:

"I saw this kid when he was playing in the Q. Total Yakupov. Lazy, no interest in playing defense. He's having a tough time learning that you can't just cheat for offense on every shift. This is why he's sucked at the AHL level and why he didn't make a positive impression in his brief AHL stint. Kid is a bust. There's a reason why he fell three spots in the draft. I'm telling you guys, this kid is 19 and I saw him play in the Q and it's clear to me that he's nothing special."

> Everyone who isn't mackel:

"Zadina was actually pretty good in his NHL stint. You're literally the only person I've seen saying he was invisible. Who hurt you?"

> mackel:

"I'm just telling you what I've seen with my own two eyes. That's why it's called an opinion. Opinions are like eyeballs."

> Habs fans:

"Bruh, we love dunking on Zadina and even we think you're talking out of your ass."

Edited by Dabura

46 minutes ago, mackel said:

The substance is quite simple... he's been mediocre most nights in the AHL, his goal total is helped dramatically by multi goal games followed by long stretches of diddly.  His NHL stint was underwhelming to say the least... though I grant you the sample size there is small

Nothing about this season says star or superstar it says middle 6 forward who will intrigue and disappoint. 

I'd be interested in what others see... because I'm not overly impress with that I've seen.

You almost got me, nice try. 

3 hours ago, mackel said:

This is worse hate than AA got before he turnt it up. 

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

> Me, before we'd even drafted Zadina:

"His defensive game is actually surprisingly good for a scoring winger."

> Blashill:

"His defensive game is actually surprisingly good for a scoring winger. He just needs time to adjust to the pace and checking of pro hockey. I'm not worried about him. He'll be fine."

(Blashill makes this same point several times over the course of the season.)

> mackel:

"I saw this kid when he was playing in the Q. Total Yakupov. Lazy, no interest in playing defense. He's having a tough time learning that you can't just cheat for offense on every shift. This is why he's sucked at the AHL level and why he didn't make a positive impression in his brief AHL stint. Kid is a bust. There's a reason why he fell three spots in the draft. I'm telling you guys, this kid is 19 and I saw him play in the Q and it's clear to me that he's nothing special."

> Everyone who isn't mackel:

"Zadina was actually pretty good in his NHL stint. You're literally the only person I've seen saying he was invisible. Who hurt you?"

> mackel:

"I'm just telling you what I've seen with my own two eyes. That's why it's called an opinion. Opinions are like eyeballs."

> Habs fans:

"Bruh, we love dunking on Zadina and even we think you're talking out of your ass."

No, but in all fairness, @mackel did see Zadina play with the Mooseheads... so... he's right, everyone else is wrong. Zadina = bust...