• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

2018 Prospects Watch

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No, but in all fairness, @mackel did see Zadina play with the Mooseheads... so... he's right, everyone else is wrong. Zadina = bust...

As interesting a flight of fancy as that was... who said Zadina looked good? Who is everyone?  Blashill surely inst going to carve a 6th overall pick publically.  Come on atleast my opinion has some basis.  You're looking at his draft position and little else...  get off the kool-aid. 

Edit:  you also realize he was in the Q last season not a decade ago right? You play it off like I'm criticizing based on his peewee career.

Edited by mackel

On 3/22/2019 at 11:26 PM, mackel said:

Nah they may turn out...  :-)    Zadina needs to reinvent his game, flying the zone waiting for a breakaway pass doesn't work on every shift in the NHL.  This is why hes pretty good in the AHL and was invisible for 8 of 9 games he played up.  What once worked doesn't anymore and he's back to the drawing board.

Who said anything about Zadina? I was talking about Zagina.

5 minutes ago, mackel said:

As interesting a flight of fancy as that was... who said Zadina looked good? Who is everyone?  Blashill surely inst going to carve a 6th overall pick publically.  Come on atleast my opinion has some basis.  You're looking at his draft position and little else...  get off the kool-aid. 

Devellano doesn't mind it. Haven't heard him say anything.

6 hours ago, mackel said:

Edit:  you also realize he was in the Q last season not a decade ago right? You play it off like I'm criticizing based on his peewee career.

Pretty sure you meant to quote Dab on this one, but I'll respond anyway. When you say that a player is going to be a bust, the day he's drafted, before he's ever played a pro game, your opinion has very little basis. Of course you're going to continue to try to support that dumb "opinion". He can become a 30 goal scorer and you'll probably still say he's a "bust", because reasons...

You're right, Blashill probably wouldn't carve his 6th overall pick publically. But he also wouldn't go out of his way to talk about specific strengths in his games. Things like his defensive game and positioning, that contradict what you're saying are his weaknesses.

Yes, we all realize he was in the Q last season. Do you realize a LOT can change in regards to a players development in one season? Also, he's been playing pro THIS season. Be honest, how many games have you watched him play this season? I've watched quite a few Griffins games and all 9 of his games with the Red Wings (two live). Zadina hasn't been dominant (yet), but he has shown glimpses of dominance. He will be a full-time NHLer next season. He will not be a bust...

Too early to project Zadina. 

Hell we still don’t even know how Larkin, AA and Mantha will actually pan out.  

Some say Larkin = next Zetterberg, some say not quite. 

Ask me when they’re all 27 and in prime age.

Edited by kickazz

10 hours ago, mackel said:

As interesting a flight of fancy as that was... who said Zadina looked good? Who is everyone?

I mean, if you're not following the GDTs here and you're not reading any blogs and you're not following the Wings on any social media platforms and you're basically not communicating with any Wings fans on any level and you didn't see any of Zadina's NHL stint, I can maybe understand how the idea that Zadina had a pretty good nine games might strike you as crazy.

10 hours ago, mackel said:

Blashill surely inst going to carve a 6th overall pick publically.

Blashill has no problem with mentioning things a young prospect has to work on. He has no problem saying a prospect needs to work on his defensive game.

That being said, Blashill's messaging about Zadina has been consistent and consistently positive: "His defensive game isn't a concern, his all-around game is pretty good, we just want him to work on being extremely dangerous offensively. And that's just a matter of him getting used to pro hockey." He says some variation on this every time he talks about Zadina. Every single time. I don't believe for one second that he's simply being kind to Zadina in public "because 6th overall."

11 hours ago, mackel said:

Come on atleast my opinion has some basis.  You're looking at his draft position and little else...  get off the kool-aid.

I've seen him with the Mooseheads. I've seen him with the Griffins. I watched every game of his nine-game stint with the Wings. I'm pretty familiar with this player.

You seem to be basing everything on just his time with the Mooseheads. And you seem to be the one who's hung up on "his draft position and little else." I mean, that's why you keep calling him a bust, right? Because we drafted him 6th overall and you don't think he was worth the 6th overall pick. Right?

11 hours ago, mackel said:

No, I play it off like you have a half-baked impression of him based on some QMJHL viewings and you're going to cling to that impression no matter what, because you're that committed to your craft. That craft being trolling.

I'm not even saying Zadina is a lock to be a superstar. It's entirely possible he doesn't become anything better than a Nyquist or a Tatar. But to be so convinced at this point in time that he's going to disappoint is, to me, dumb. I might be more inclined to see things your way if I felt like you'd actually watched a single Griffins/Wings game this season.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I mean, if you're not following the GDTs here and you're not reading any blogs and you're not following the Wings on any social media platforms and you're basically not communicating with any Wings fans on any level and you didn't see any of Zadina's NHL stint, I can maybe understand how the idea that Zadina had a pretty good nine games might strike you as crazy.

Blashill has no problem with mentioning things a young prospect has to work on. He has no problem saying a prospect needs to work on his defensive game.

That being said, Blashill's messaging about Zadina has been consistent and consistently positive: "His defensive game isn't a concern, his all-around game is pretty good, we just want him to work on being extremely dangerous offensively. And that's just a matter of him getting used to pro hockey." He says some variation on this every time he talks about Zadina. Every single time. I don't believe for one second that he's simply being kind to Zadina in public "because 6th overall."

I've seen him with the Mooseheads. I've seen him with the Griffins. I watched every game of his nine-game stint with the Wings. I'm pretty familiar with this player.

You seem to be basing everything on just his time with the Mooseheads. And you seem to be the one who's hung up on "his draft position and little else." I mean, that's why you keep calling him a bust, right? Because we drafted him 6th overall and you don't think he was worth the 6th overall pick. Right?

No, I play it off like you have a half-baked impression of him based on some QMJHL viewings and you're going to cling to that impression no matter what, because you're that committed to your craft. That craft being trolling.

I never understood this. Wasn't his play with Halifax what got him ranked the 3rd best player in the draft in the first place? He was heavily scouted by every NHL team at that point. Why weren't they seeing what mackel was seeing?

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I never understood this. Wasn't his play with Halifax what got him ranked the 3rd best player in the draft in the first place? He was heavily scouted by every NHL team at that point. Why weren't they seeing what mackel was seeing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2018/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Filip-Zadina

NHL Central Scouting:

"High-end skilled forward with excellent playmaking ability. He has very good vision, excellent anticipation and exceptional natural instincts. Possesses strong puck skills, a quick, accurate release, and looks to shoot. He is committed to playing a two-way game."

Steve Kournianos (SportingNews):

"This Czech sniper consistently has been the best player for his teams in both league and international play. Zadina is a complete player who is a danger to score no matter the situation."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/09/26/red-wings-jeff-blashill-hints-filip-zadina-start-grand-rapids/1431358002/

“Filip Zadina will be a good player and there’s no doubt in my mind he may end up being a great player, he has the ability to do that,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “Understanding how to create space is something when you’re not super fast or super big, sometimes it takes a little while.”

“He’s very accountable (defensively),” Blashill said. “It’s just a matter of what’s best for his offense. We want him to ultimately be an offensive star. So what is best to get him to that as quickly as possible?

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2019/02/red-wings-filip-zadina-seeks-ways-to-create-space-offense.html

“He’s got a real mature game, he’s pretty good defensively, he stopped on pucks,” Blashill said. “(Grand Rapids Griffins coach) Ben Simon has done a real good job helping him become a more ready-made pro.

“It’s just a matter of learning how to create offense. It’s a hard league to learn in, it takes time and I hope he keeps getting better every game.”

Etc.

23 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Bad defense. Flew the zone too early. Bust.

Though I'm sure that was meant in a mocking tone, it's exactly what he did...  out crusing looking for  breaking pass after someone else does the work.

32 minutes ago, mackel said:

Though I'm sure that was meant in a mocking tone, it's exactly what he did...  out crusing looking for  breaking pass after someone else does the work.

Zadina forces the defenseman. The defenseman makes a bad shot that ends up on Megan's stick. Zadina realizes his team has full control, makes a good read and takes off. Megan hits him with a pass and Zadina has a clear cut breakaway. Makes no mistake and buries it five hole. Bust.

41 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Zadina forces the defenseman. The defenseman makes a bad shot that ends up on Megan's stick. Zadina realizes his team has full control, makes a good read and takes off. Megan hits him with a pass and Zadina has a clear cut breakaway. Makes no mistake and buries it five hole. Bust.

Yep. Zadina makes a break for it when he realizes Megan has full control of the puck and that both opposing defensemen are in no man's land.

Edited by Dabura

On 3/23/2019 at 12:19 PM, mackel said:

Nope just a realist with eyes and an opinion (you don't seem to like).

First off, if you have to say you're a realist you're already on bad ground.

Secondly I agree with you somewhat. I think Zadina is overrated as a player. I think he will make the NHL and be a Mantha or AA level player. Certainly good, but a far cry from the player who was at points touted as the 1st overall pick and seemed to draw Larkin level comparison.

Come at me homers

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Secondly I agree with you somewhat. I think Zadina is overrated as a player. I think he will make the NHL and be a Mantha or AA level player. Certainly good, but a far cry from the player who was at points touted as the 1st overall pick and seemed to draw Larkin level comparison.

Come at me homers

CRL is lazy and he sucks.

16 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Come at me homers

I would be stoked if we got another AA out of Zadina.  The hAAters are like dying Avengers characters right now.  Zadina in gonna be good.  You can see he has a really good toolset.  Just a matter of time till it all gels for him.

8 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I would be stoked if we got another AA out of Zadina.  The hAAters are like dying Avengers characters right now.  Zadina in gonna be good.  You can see he has a really good toolset.  Just a matter of time till it all gels for him.

Zadina is Filppula, Hudler, Nyquist, Tatar 3.0

I don't know much about the avengers, but I do know if you're watching marvel movies you need to rethink your life.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

You're wrong. Zadina is Kucherov 2.0...

I hope so. Guys got like 120 pts now, that's insane in my mind

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You want to buy some death sticks?

Like cigs cause I'm being a gloomer? Or is that like a new type of hockey stick you kiddos use?

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I hope so. Guys got like 120 pts now, that's insane in my mind

Like cigs cause I'm being a gloomer? Or is that like a new type of hockey stick you kiddos use?

It is insane, Kucherov is gnarly as f***. Chances are he doesn't become that good, but I still think he has obvious high end potential. 

With that said he didn't play in the Griffin's game today and I can't figure out why.

3 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

It is insane, Kucherov is gnarly as f***. Chances are he doesn't become that good, but I still think he has obvious high end potential. 

With that said he didn't play in the Griffin's game today and I can't figure out why.

Cause he sucks

Future captains:

C: Tylerio Bertuzzi
A: Josef Veleno
A: Some other spgahetti eatin' kid

I don't care for the checks