• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kalaco

Why does the NHL sort teams by points and not percentage or games behind like in the NBA or MLB?

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, kalaco said:

You are correct that the standings don't matter until the end of the season. But if you are going to list the standings during the season, does it make more sense to use a method to sort the teams which:
A) treats regulation losses the same as not playing
B) differentiates regulation losses from not playing

You are correct that the standings don't matter until the end of the season. But if you are going to list the standings during the season, does it make more sense to use a method to sort the teams which:

Using points pct or GA500 would yield the same seedings at the end of the season and wouldn't treat a regulation loss the same as not playing.

If you are going to list the standings during the season, does it make more sense to use a method to sort the teams which:

Is this one of those Korean Spam posts? It just saying the same thing!

2 hours ago, kalaco said:

Great, you realize that the standings don't matter. So the sort criteria is arbitrary.

2 hours ago, kalaco said:

Buppy, how would you go about determining under which goaltender your team performed better:

Goaltender A: 20-25-5 (50 pts)

Goaltender B: 20-0-0 (40 pts)

Think about it and let me know how you arrived at your conclusion.

Toby - help myself and others understand why it would make more sense to list a 20-21 team ahead of a 19-18 team.

I am honestly surprised. I was sure your next topic was going to be "Why does the NHL list wins/losses as stats for goaltenders?"

But to answer the question: I would, like most people, use my brain to make a decision. A decision that would be the same regardless of how said goaltenders were ranked in whatever list I was looking at. It seems you need a website to think for you. Sorry about your luck.

If you're so upset about the NHL standings, you should be more proactive in your campaign. Since you probably need assistance on how to go about this, please visit www.HowToWriteALetterToYourCongressmanAskingForSomethingStupid.com for further instruction.

5 hours ago, kalaco said:

Using points pct or GA500 would yield the same seedings at the end of the season and wouldn't treat a regulation loss the same as not playing.

If you are going to list the standings during the season, does it make more sense to use a method to sort the teams which:

Autism level: 5000

18 hours ago, Buppy said:

Depends on how you want to define "standings" I guess. Pretty clear from his response that he's talking about how the teams are ranked. The fact that the displayed standings require any "interpretation" kind of proves the point. 

Exactly, by "standings" I'm referring to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.  Take make it even more clear though, the whole point of this thread was questioning why the league inputs the various records of each team in teh standings.  The question was clearly linking to how teams show up as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.  NO ONE should care about that during the season.  You can argue different ways to present it all you want, there are valid arguments on both sides, but at the end of the day, my point is that it doesn't matter....AT ALL.

15 hours ago, kalaco said:

Buppy, how would you go about determining under which goaltender your team performed better:

Goaltender A: 20-25-5 (50 pts)

Goaltender B: 20-0-0 (40 pts)

Think about it and let me know how you arrived at your conclusion.

Toby - help myself and others understand why it would make more sense to list a 20-21 team ahead of a 19-18 team.

I'm not sure what you are not understanding.  For fun, I'll respond to your two questions anyway:

- For determining what goalie performed better, I have no idea, not enough information....looking at a team's win/loss doesn't help that much....takes a team to win or lose.  I get what you are trying to do, but it makes ZERO sense.  I think you are looking at standings and saying whoever is ahead of another team is "performing better" - that's not the point of standings, the point is who finishes ahead of the other (which only happens at end of year)......see my response below to your next question.

- The rationale for the 20-21 team being ahead of the 19-18 in the standings is because they have earned more points.  The logic is that a team hasn't earned any points until they've earned them.  You can't assume the 19-18 team is going to win games they haven't played yet.  That's the logic of the way they do the standings.  I tend to agree with that way, but I totally get the other side of the argument, but at I've said many, many times, I don't care...no one really does as it's meaningless for the reasons already suggested.

The point system is useless with the 2-point win. I also hate "loser" points awarded to teams that lose in OT or a shootout.  If the NHL is to keep a point system, this is how it should look:

A three point system!:

Regulation Win = 3 points

Regulation Loss = 0 points

OT\Shootout Win = 2 points

OT\Shootout Loss = 1 point

Otherwise they should just ditch the system and go with W\L record.  Then you can compare teams by their win\loss percentage which will help better represent a team in standings because teams haven't always played the same amount of games.