• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018-19 Season Lines Thread

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, e_prime said:

As evidenced by the season thusfar, amirite?

Seriously, did everyone forget that NONE of our current defensive prospects, however shining and new they are, project to be elite top pairing defensemen.

"Small-ish/Undersized, unrefined, puck moving defenseman with some upside." --description of nearly all of the rookies on our blueline.

Cholowski is the only one who should make the team

This won't be popular, but I think Witkowski looked just as good, if not better, than any of the kids (besides Cholowski). He should stay in the lineup for the time being IMO

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This won't be popular, but I think Witkowski looked just as good, if not better, than any of the kids (besides Cholowski). He should stay in the lineup for the time being IMO

It definitely won't be a popular opinion, but I don't disagree. 

21 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Cholowski and Sulak have a lot of potential.  Not sold on the rest.  We need to thank for at least 4 more years.  We need to add Hughes and at least 3 high first round D selections to the mix.

I'd agree. Cholowski looks good, and Sulak after a year in the AHL might be good for us too.

Hronek makes A LOT of mistakes. Hicketts is never gonna be more than a third pair I think.

41 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'd agree. Cholowski looks good, and Sulak after a year in the AHL might be good for us too.

Hronek makes A LOT of mistakes. Hicketts is never gonna be more than a third pair I think.

So what you're saying is we have our replacement for Ericsson in Hronek and well... our ever rotating third pairing guy?  XO, Lashoff, Commodore, Colaiacovo, Janik, Kindl, Lebda, Lilja, Marchenko, etc. etc. in the midst of life we are in death, etc.

5 minutes ago, e_prime said:

So what you're saying is we have our replacement for Ericsson in Hronek and well... our ever rotating third pairing guy?  XO, Lashoff, Commodore, Colaiacovo, Janik, Kindl, Lebda, Lilja, Marchenko, etc. etc. in the midst of life we are in death, etc.

I still think Lashoff can make it

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I still think Lashoff can make it

In the AHL?

Also, I'm waiting for all the PainTrain slappies to come for me.  (If there are any left on this board.)

Edited by e_prime

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agree with the bolded, thought he looked pretty good. As far as him staying in the lineup I just find myself asking "what's the point?" Might as well let one of the young guys try and surprise us with improvement than try and develop Witkowski's zero upside. 

I still think Hronek has a much higher ceiling than Sulak. Hronek makes a ton of mistakes, but Sulak makes a TON more. Mistakes are going to happen to any rookie defenseman, but I think theres a higher chance that the 20 year old figures it out over the 24 year old. Sulak is an adventure (good or bad) every time he's on the ice... Hronek also has 3 points in 6 games, the same as Cholowski, and better than Sulak or Hicketts' zero.

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I still think Hronek has a much higher ceiling than Sulak. Hronek makes a ton of mistakes, but Sulak makes a TON more. Mistakes are going to happen to any rookie defenseman, but I think theres a higher chance that the 20 year old figures it out over the 24 year old. Sulak is an adventure (good or bad) every time he's on the ice... Hronek also has 3 points in 6 games, the same as Cholowski, and better than Sulak or Hicketts' zero.

giphy.gif

I love the adventure that is Sulak on the ice, but I do believe he needs more time in the AHL.

Also, Witkowski does bring SOMETHING... the desire to throw fists.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This. Huge fan of Sulak and that insane north-south skating, but the guy is a disaster in his own end IMO. I think his ability to rush up the ice and his knack for closing gaps quickly in the neutral zone mask this fact for some folks. 

On 10/17/2018 at 6:49 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The aged veteran defense of the last few seasons never started off this badly or gave up this many goals. As much as everyone seems to "hate" DD, Daley, E, and Kronwall, they're still better than the trainwreck we've seen recently.

You're looking at the overall payroll and not paying attention to the individual deals. The "overpayments" on this roster add up to maybe 5 mil in cap dollars? This team has a high payroll because they still have a large number of veteran contracts on the roster, and vets cost more. This is being remedied by bringing in younger, cheaper players on ELC's and bridge deals to systematically replace those veteran contracts. They call that a rebuild, and every team that goes thru one, goes thru the same process. You can't just make vets go away. A team trending down from years of success will have many veteran contracts to deal with. It's the price to pay for being successful in a competitive league that's designed for parity. It's inevitable. The situation is not unique to Holland and the Wings at all. You replace the vet contracts over time with younger, cheaper players. Eventually the team salary drops as the team gets younger, only to rise again when the younger players become older, better, and more expensive, and other costly players are brought in to increase the competitiveness of the team. That's how it works folks.

Image result for don't hate the player hate the game

100 % agree with this. We have had guys playing back there this  year who have no business playing those kind of minutes. Injuries have forced us to play these guys but realistically the only one I think would've started in Detroit if we were injury free was Cholowski.  We have some bad contracts, every team has some.  Good news is that we should get some relief at the end of this year. Howard, Kronwall, Nyquist and Vanek will come off the books and will hopefully be replaced with more fiscal options. 

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

How could you not miss them? They're a perfectly balanced cast

Mike Green: The Brains

Mike+Green+NHL+Awards+Nominee+Portraits+

Jonathan Ericsson: The Muscle

8031349-large.jpg

Nicklas Kronwall: The Paladin

220px-Niklas_Kronwall_(01).jpg

Trevor Daley: Diversity

8470110.jpg

This is the future commies want.