• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

2018-19 Season Lines Thread

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Big fan of the lines for tonight's game.  The top two are producing and shouldn't be messed with.  Ras-Glen-Bert seems like they'd have decent offense and would be miserable to play against.  And Vanek-De La Rose-Frk should end up playing very little, but may provide a reasonable amount of offensive pressure in a limited role.  At the very least it's starting to look like fans are getting what they wanted for years when we complained about not wanting/needing a "shutdown line".  These are four lines with decent offensive potential.

Edit:  Also, Ericsson is a healthy scratch again.  For those who never thought that would ever happen. 

Whelp, got that one dead wrong didn't I?  Yeesh.

Notes: Wings switch some lines and defense pairs in practice [DetroitRedWings.com]

"I haven't minded our lines and we may go back to where they were but just trying to get the right fits. Nyquie and Vanek have had some chemistry together and certainly Bert, Ras and Glenny was a line I thought could really grind in the O-zone and since Bert's been off the line we've kind of gotten away from it, so we'll see."

Defensively, Niklas Kronwall [and Nick Jensen] remain together. But Trevor Daley and Jonathan Ericsson were back together, a pair that has worked well in the past.

Rookies Dennis Cholowski and Filip Hronek were paired in practice for the first time.

tl;dr

Athanasiou  Larkin  Abdelkader
Nyquist  Nielsen  Vanek
Bertuzzi  Glendening  Rasmussen
Megan/Frk  de la Rose  Ehn

Ericsson  Daley
Kronwall  Jensen
Cholowski  Hronek

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Notes: Wings switch some lines and defense pairs in practice [DetroitRedWings.com]

tl;dr

Nyquist  Nielsen  Vanek

Ericsson  Daley
Kronwall  Jensen
Cholowski  Hronek

Abdelkader and Ericsson consistently get rewarded for s***ty play.  They were both awful last night.

AA-Larkin-Rasmussen

Nyquist-Nielssen-Bertuzzi

De La Rose-Glendening-Frk

Abdelkader-Ehn-Vanek

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

tl;dr

Nyquist  Nielsen  Vanek

Ericsson  Daley
Kronwall  Jensen
Cholowski  Hronek

I actually like these lines. Of course I'd prefer Abdelkader off that top line (switch with Bert or Ras), but overall it's not bad. Looking forward to see Larkin and Athanasiou reunited (although it probably won't last) and Cholowski and Hronek together (although they'll probably get limited time)...

14 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I actually like these lines. Of course I'd prefer Abdelkader off that top line (switch with Bert or Ras), but overall it's not bad. Looking forward to see Larkin and Athanasiou reunited (although it probably won't last) and Cholowski and Hronek together (although they'll probably get limited time)...

12 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

In order to spread out the scoring, you have to put guys like Abby and Vanek in the top 6.

I think this season has pretty much nuked the idea that the Wings are relatively deep at the wing position(s).

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

I think this season has pretty much nuked the idea that the Wings are relatively deep at the wing position(s).

We have ZERO depth at wing.

Hughes, Larkin, Athanasiou, Rasmussen, Veleno.  That's a good center core going forward.

Zadina, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Berggren, Svechnikov.  That's a good left wing core going forward.

Frk.  That's a GOD AWFUL right wing core.

Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak, McIsaac.  That's an extremely weak defensive core.

Larsson, Petruzzelli.  This isnt even really anything of a goaltending core.  These guys are 1000-1 long shots to even make the NHL.

It's easy to see where our issues lie.  That's why I want to pick up Mark Stone at almost all costs.  He plugs one gaping hole in our forward group.  

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

We have ZERO depth at wing.

Hughes, Larkin, Athanasiou, Rasmussen, Veleno.  That's a good center core going forward.

Zadina, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Berggren, Svechnikov.  That's a good left wing core going forward.

Frk.  That's a GOD AWFUL right wing core.

Cholowski, Hronek, Sulak, McIsaac.  That's an extremely weak defensive core.

Larsson, Petruzzelli.  This isnt even really anything of a goaltending core.  These guys are 1000-1 long shots to even make the NHL.

It's easy to see where our issues lie.  That's why I want to pick up Mark Stone at almost all costs.  He plugs one gaping hole in our forward group.  

When it comes to the Wings, I don't really differentiate between LW and RW anymore, because the Wings themselves don't really differentiate between the two. And I think the Wings are kind of ahead of the curve on this point. Because, for all intents and purposes, LW = RW = LW in today's game.

I'd like to see the Wings add a couple high-end RH shooters, but I'm not gonna say Frk is our only RW just because he shoots right. I'd like to see us add Mark Stone at a not-insane price (meaning trade and/or UFA), but I don't see us getting him for anything less than an insane price. I don't think the fact that he shoots right means we should be significantly more interested than we otherwise would be.

But that's all kind of beside the point, which is that we're not as deep on the wing as many Wings fans would like to believe we are. On this, you and I seem to agree. We also seem to agree re: the D and G depth charts.

I say it a lot and I'll say it again: A team is only as deep as its top talent allows it to be.