• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
greenrebellion

Realistic Window to Competitiveness

Rate this topic

When I look at this team and see Nielsen, Abdelkader and DeKeyser tying up 15 million in cap space at least through 2021/2022 I just can't help but think how much of a disadvantage this puts us at in the future.  

Are we realistically looking at 2022/2023 or beyond before this team can be truly competitive?  

Even if we get lucky and much of our young talent progresses nicely, I just don't see how you build a cup contender in the cap area with a $15 million disadvantage relative to your competition.

Regardless of what contracts the Wings are saddled with - it all boils down to the 'quality' of players we acquire via the draft for the next 2, or 3 seasons.

i'm cautiously optimistic Holland can move another contract, or 2 in order to add more picks for these next 2 draft classes since they're projected to be deep like 2018.

A few things:

1. Any contract can be traded.
  2. It's safe to say we're at least a couple years away from being a solid playoff team. At that point, those contracts are nearly up and shouldn't be too hard to dump.
  3. The Seattle expansion draft could be a nice relief valve.

So, personally, I'm not worried about those contracts. I think people get too hung up on them. If it gets to a point where they're genuinely strangling the team, something will be done and cap space will be opened up.

I'd be more concerned about, say, Montreal's situation with Price and Weber.

PLayoff team in 2 years. Legitimate contender in 4.

Nielsen, Abby, and Dekeyser's contracts aren't the reason why this team is bad. This team can absolutely be a contender with all 3 on the roster. They don't need to be traded to accomplish it. If the kids drafted over the last 2-3 years, and the next 2 years pan out, this team will have a good mix of vets and kids with Abby, DK, and Nielsen AND be really good,. I don't know why some people think that you can't have all of the above..

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

A few things:

1. Any contract can be traded.
  2. It's safe to say we're at least a couple years away from being a solid playoff team. At that point, those contracts are nearly up and shouldn't be too hard to dump.
  3. The Seattle expansion draft could be a nice relief valve.

So, personally, I'm not worried about those contracts. I think people get too hung up on them. If it gets to a point where they're genuinely strangling the team, something will be done and cap space will be opened up.

I'd be more concerned about, say, Montreal's situation with Price and Weber.

Hypothetically, if Holland becomes Seattle's GM, do you think he takes any of Abby, Helm, or Dekeyser if they're available in the expansion draft? I don't.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Agree with those that say the current contracts won't stop us.  Neither player is useless and frankly the contracts are only concerning due to the lack of top quality elsewhere. Up front we have a decent young roster, but we lack any top pieces on defence and are short of 1 or 2 potentially elite forwards. In goal we are 'meh'.

if all goes well-ish we could be a playoff team in 2 years and a contender in 4. For the first time in a long time, our roster is clearly focused on the future as much as the now. A bit of lottery luck or good drafting. A couple of smart FA's and we could easily be back in the game for real In 4 years.

if decisions are bad, however....

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

2018-19 - Bottom 5 Team

2019-20 - Bubble Team

2020-21 - Playoff Team

2021-22 - Contender

2022-23 - Favorite

Curious as to what you think makes them a contender and then favorite in 4 years?  Hope for what will come between now and then or based on young players and prospects in the system?

15 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Curious as to what you think makes them a contender and then favorite in 4 years?  Hope for what will come between now and then or based on young players and prospects in the system?

Both. We have a lot of very good, young players, and we'll likely have another top 5 pick next year (I think we'll get in the top 3, maybe even number 1). With the continued development of what we already have in the system as well as the additions we'll make over the next 3 years, I think we'll be contenders in 3-4 years. I think a core of *Hughes*, Larkin, Mantha, Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Cholowski, McIsaac, Hronek, etc. has the potential to be VERY good in a few years. Not every one of those players will pan out, but I'm sure for every player that doesn't meet expectations, another player in the system will exceed expectations. We'll still need to add on the back end, but I'm sure that will be addressed in the next couple years. I really like the long-term outlook of this team. There's a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

True it may not even be an issue depending on how long the turnaround takes.

If last nights game is any indication, this team may have a long road to climb irrespective of contracts issue. 

Kind of hope we suck enough to get a #1 pick this year.  Not too many stanley cup winners over the past 10 years without a top 3 draft pick.  Larkin is good and all, but he's not a superstar.

I believe we would become instantly more competitive as soon as we get a real NHL calibre coach. We won't be fighting for the cup but we will be a big and fast team that is miserable to play against. Blashill has shown no improvement as a coach, his system(s) suck and I fear the longer he is on the bench the more damage will be done to the development of our young players. Even with the crappy contracts we have I truly believe a good NHL coach would make this exact team far better. How many more years of this experiment will convince people?

You think this team would be a lot better with someone besides Blashill?   

This team on paper is bad, really bad.  Look at the defense we threw out last night...sure the team has long term potential, but on paper as it currently stands, the team is REALLY bad.

So not sure how coaching fixes that.

Edited by greenrebellion

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

2 years to competitive.  I could buy that.  We didn't look like we were 8 players off last night.  We looked like we were 3 or 4.  Zadina will be a huge improvement over Abdelkader.  Veleno will be a like for like with Nielsen.  Berggren hopefully becomes a like for like with Nyquist.  McIsaac takes DeKeysers spot.  That leaves us with 2-3 holes to fill.

? - ? - Zadina

Athanasiou - Larkin - Mantha

Berggren - Veleno- Bertuzzi

Smith - Helm - Glendening

? - Cholowski

? - Sulak

Hronek - McIsaac

Larsson

Petruzzelli

Getting Hughes and a #1D rockets us into the playoff picture come 2021.

LOL. 1c, top line scoring winger, top pair D, 2nd pair D. Those are some REALLY big holes!

8 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

This team on paper is bad, really bad.  Look at the defense we threw out last night...sure the team has long term potential, but on paper as it currently stands, the team is REALLY bad.

This team will not keep Blashill beyond the rebuild. I truly believe that. Blashill was brought in because he did a god job with developing players in GR. Plus, Detroit lost its lustre as a go to place for elite coaches. That's why they'll keep Blashill on board for now. When this team transitions from rebuild to contender status, it will be time to bring in a Bowman, Babcock, etc to take over the reigns. Someone who can win Championships.

20 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Blashill was brought in because he did a god job with developing players in GR. Plus, Detroit lost its lustre as a go to place for elite coaches. That's why they'll keep Blashill on board for now. When this team transitions from rebuild to contender status, it will be time to bring in a Bowman, Babcock, etc to take over the reigns. Someone who can win Championships.

Agreed.

I've pissed and moaned about Blashill in the past. In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so hard on him. Because, at the end of the day, all that matters -- the one thing he'll ultimately be judged on -- is the development of the young players.

That being said...

Development of the young players in the 2016-17 season? Not very encouraging (at the time), was arguably cause for concern re: Blashill's competence (at the time).

Development of the young players in the 2017-18 season? We start to see some results, we start to see some payoff. We start to see that "The Process" isn't necessarily just bumper-sticker bulls***.

Consider:

• Larkin: 63 points thru 82 games
  • Mantha: 48-80
  • Athanasiou: 33-71
  • Frk: 25-68
  • Bertuzzi: 24-48
  • Hicketts: 3-5

Pretty hard to argue with those results.

12 hours ago, The Secret said:

I believe we would become instantly more competitive as soon as we get a real NHL calibre coach. We won't be fighting for the cup but we will be a big and fast team that is miserable to play against. Blashill has shown no improvement as a coach, his system(s) suck and I fear the longer he is on the bench the more damage will be done to the development of our young players. Even with the crappy contracts we have I truly believe a good NHL coach would make this exact team far better. How many more years of this experiment will convince people?

Agreed.

11 hours ago, greenrebellion said:

Most of our guys have regressed since Blashill took over from Babcock, and last nights loss to the Jackets in OT (having Glendenning  out there) seems pretty typical of his decision making...