Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

OT Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Why is this so hard for Blashill?

Arhanasiou-Larkin-Sulak

Helm-Nielsen-Cholowski

Bertuzzi-Rasmussen-DeKeyser

Why is it so hard for our coach to figure out that playing the fastest players in overtime is the best strategy?  

Mantha and Glendening?  Are you kidding me with that crap?  Nyquist is almost as bad.  Get the guys who can fly out there and take your chances in an end to end race.

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why is this so hard for Blashill?

Arhanasiou-Larkin-Sulak

Helm-Nielsen-Cholowski

Bertuzzi-Rasmussen-DeKeyser

Why is it so hard for our coach to figure out that playing the fastest players in overtime is the best strategy?  

Mantha and Glendening?  Are you kidding me with that crap?  Nyquist is almost as bad.  Get the guys who can fly out there and take your chances in an end to end race.

Wasn't Glendening out there for the faceoff and then got caught out there?

I agree that using Mantha last night probably wasn't a good decision (he was off), but when he's at the top of his game, he absolutely should be used in 3-on-3.

Nyquist should also be used, but not ahead of some of the other guys.

I'd go with...

Larkin - Mantha - Cholowski

Athanasiou - Bertuzzi - DeKeyser

Helm - Rasmussen - Sulak

Nielsen - Nyquist - Hronek

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree that using Mantha last night probably wasn't a good decision (he was off), but when he's at the top of his game, he absolutely should be used in 3-on-3.

Nyquist should also be used, but not ahead of some of the other guys.

I'd go with...

Larkin - Mantha - Cholowski

Athanasiou - Bertuzzi - DeKeyser

Helm - Rasmussen - Sulak

Nielsen - Nyquist - Hronek

I could live with this.  I'm not so much against Mantha as I am for putting AA and Helm in during 3 on 3.  Speed kills in that game.

21 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Wasn't Glendening out there for the faceoff and then got caught out there?

Winning faceoffs isn't as important as scoring first in that format.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I could live with this.  I'm not so much against Mantha as I am for putting AA and Helm in during 3 on 3.  Speed kills in that game.

Winning faceoffs isn't as important as scoring first in that format.

Not in Blashill's mind. 

7 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You criticize Blashill (which you should) and then you suggest Helm should be playing in OT.  Helm couldn't score with a drunken hooker.  Why would he be out there?    

Helm is like Draper 2.0. How many time did you jump out of your seat for a break away only to sit right back down as soon as you realized it was Draper on the break? Too many for me to count.

Edited by The Secret
Misspelled word

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

>Get the fastest guys out there
>Get Rasmussen out there

Pick one.

I don't think Rasmussen is slow though. He's obviously not Larkin or Athanasiou fast, but he can keep up with most players out there. I'm fine with using him 3-on-3.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think Rasmussen is slow though. He's obviously not Larkin or Athanasiou fast, but he can keep up with most players out there. I'm fine with using him 3-on-3.

Right. I'm just saying if the argument is the Wings should be using their burners, and we're using that as a basis for excluding Mantha and Nyquist, then Rasmussen shouldn't be in the mix either.

I was going to ask how many posts until this turned into another "Blashill Sucks" thread. Nevermind.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

These 2 statements are contradictory IMO. Is Nyquist as fast as Larkin, AA, or Helm? No. But he aint slow either. Absolutely should be out there in 3 x 3 situations.

55 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

You criticize Blashill (which you should) and then you suggest Helm should be playing in OT.  Helm couldn't score with a drunken hooker.  Why would he be out there?    

Cuz speed kills. Not hands or offensive ability, just speed.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I was going to ask how many posts until this turned into another "Blashill Sucks" thread. Nevermind.

These 2 statements are contradictory IMO. Is Nyquist as fast as Larkin, AA, or Helm? No. But he aint slow either. Absolutely should be out there in 3 x 3 situations.

Cuz speed kills. Not hands or offensive ability, just speed.

I don't like Nyquist.  And I haven't since he cost us the 2013 playoff run with his WEAK board battling in overtime.  He never sticks up for anybody.  He never bangs anybody around.  He never opens any of our other players up for opportunity.  I will be glad when we trade him in Feb.

6 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I don't like Nyquist.  And I haven't since he cost us the 2013 playoff run with his WEAK board battling in overtime.  He never sticks up for anybody.  He never bangs anybody around.  He never opens any of our other players up for opportunity.  I will be glad when we trade him in Feb.

Different roles for different players. What you are describing isn't what Nyquist is out there for. Same as other guys on this team. I will make this prediction in the other thread that I believe Nyquist has a bounce back year. 27 G, 28 A, 55 P. The only way I trade him at the TDL is if I am getting no less than a 1st rounder back. Do I think he suits up in the Winged Wheel sporting #14 next year? Yes....I do.

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Different roles for different players. What you are describing isn't what Nyquist is out there for. Same as other guys on this team. I will make this prediction in the other thread that I believe Nyquist has a bounce back year. 27 G, 28 A, 55 P. The only way I trade him at the TDL is if I am getting no less than a 1st rounder back. Do I think he suits up in the Winged Wheel sporting #14 next year? Yes....I do.

I love Nyquist, but honestly, I hope you're wrong on this. I do think you're right about the bounce back year though. I projected him to put up 36 points in 57 games, which is basically a 52 point pace.

32 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It very much was yes. You know that it's hard to change on the fly 3-on-3 if the other team has the puck right? 

Didn't see the game, but I am assuming that Glenny was out there because the face-off was somewhere that a RH was preferable and he is the only RH face-off guy? If so, then O-zone/D-zone doesn't matter. In 3 on 3, you put out the guy who wins you the face-off.

38 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

It very much was yes. You know that it's hard to change on the fly 3-on-3 if the other team has the puck right? 

Not hard when Glendening isn't on the ice to begin with. If I'm not mistaken, we had an offensive zone faceoff where he was on the ice. 

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Didn't see the game, but I am assuming that Glenny was out there because the face-off was somewhere that a RH was preferable and he is the only RH face-off guy? If so, then O-zone/D-zone doesn't matter. In 3 on 3, you put out the guy who wins you the face-off.

Agree. And he's this team's best face off chance. It's the whole ******* point I'm trying to make. That's my answer to "OMG why was Glendenning on the ice in OT" . They have an O zone face off and we're hoping to get possession off the draw. They didn't. 

Not much is being said about how miserable this team was on face offs last night or all last year for that matter. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

18 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Agree. And he's this team's best face off chance. It's the whole ******* point I'm trying to make. That's my answer to "OMG why was Glendenning on the ice in OT" . They have an O zone face off and we're hoping to get possession off the draw. They didn't. 

Not much is being said about how miserable this team was on face offs last night or all last year for that matter. 

I also didn't see the game but I do know Id be pissed to see Glendening on the ice-insert anyone but Helm or Abby in his place.  The fact it was a draw in the offensive zone is my problem.  He's our best faceoff man but in the offensive zone during a 3 on 3 sudden death match you need your scorers and shakers out there.  It shouldn't even be a discussion 

14 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I also didn't see the game but I do know Id be pissed to see Glendening on the ice-insert anyone but Helm or Abby in his place.  The fact it was a draw in the offensive zone is my problem.  He's our best faceoff man but in the offensive zone during a 3 on 3 sudden death match you need your scorers and shakers out there.  It shouldn't even be a discussion 

"Scores and shakers" ?  LOL. Like who? 

Larkin and Nyquist led the team with 2pts each and they had just been on. 

AA? He ******* sucked all game

Nielsen? He looked like Mr Burns out there 

Mantha? He was out there and he was also mostly invisible tonight

I would have gone with Bertuzzi + Ehn + Cholowski just for fun. 

I get the outrage over Glendenning being out there, but there aren't a lot of great options. This team is just mostly that bad right now. 

So Mantha and Athanasiou shouldn't have been on the ice in OT because they had bad games (to their standards), but Glendening should have been on the ice specifically to take an offensive zone draw, when he had a bad night on faceoffs (to his standards)?... Nielsen and Helm were both having stronger games in the circles, hell, even 3 wingers, Mantha (the one in OT), Bertuzzi and Abdelkader each won a draw.

Regardless, I completely disagree with putting a player out specifically to win a draw in 3-on-3. No matter who you put out to take the draw, it's pretty much a 50/50 coin flip. The difference is, if Glendening does lose the draw, or get tossed out (which he did), he has a much more difficult time regaining possession than half the other players that were sitting on the bench. 

Bottom line, Blashill tries harder not to lose games than he tries to win games. It's a loser mentality. He seen Panarin out there, and rather than putting his big guns out there to try to score before Panarin had the opportunity, he'd rather attempt to defend against one of the more lethal goal scorers in the league. It's dumb in any scenario, but especially in 3-on-3 sudden death over time.

Glendening should NEVER be used in OT, unless we're shorthanded.

Blaming Blashill for the lose on Thursday is dumb. Cheap. Base mentality. 

This team got annihilated in every way. Except goaltending and even then their guy made the saves when it counted. 

It's almost like they were playing a team 3-4 years further into a build. 

We should be thanking Blashill and Howard for the 1PT.