• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Wings02

Red Wings vs. Maple Leafs - October 11/2018

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

 

Long time reader, rare poster. A buddy and I are making the trip down to Little Caesars Arena from Ontario on Thursday for the Wings/Leafs game. Was wondering if you folks could give me any tips on stuff to do while we are down there. We are staying overnight, and will be arriving hopefully around 4 PM Thursday. We are looking to get something to eat, and get a buzz going before we go check out the arena and area around it. Suggestions on places to eat/drink would be awesome. All suggestions will be appreciated, I do not wanna spend crazy money and do not really want to go to a dine in restaurant as time will be tight. Greasy food, dives, food trucks etc. Would like to go somewhere that is local, like classic Detroit if that makes sense. Also generally like all types of food. 

So after food, any suggestions for places to check out near the arena and in the arena itself while we wait for the game to start. 

After the game, would love to hit up a local bar for a couple drinks or if anyone can suggest something to do on a Thursday in Detroit. We are 24 and drink quite regularly so with that would love some suggestions. Also late night drunk food is a must. 

I wanna thank you guys in advance for helping me out. I do not get to the games nearly as much as I would like to and really want to make the most of this little trip.

Thanks and most importantly, GO WINGS!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Bring an octopus

Dont they arrest people for that now lol 

1 hour ago, robb himself said:

I made the pilgrimage a couple years ago to see The Joe in its last season and really enjoyed the Anchor Bar and the Detroit Beer Co.

Was looking at anchor bar, will look into the other one as well. Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got you fam,

For food (before or after) hit up Lafayette Coney Island and get some coney dogs to stuff down your drunk food holes. You will see American Coney Island next door, and it will appear cleaner and more inviting. This is a trick we play on tourists. DO NOT EAT THERE. Real Detroiters know to eat at Lafayette, trust me.

A personal favorite of mine you might consider before the game is Polish Village Cafe. Good beer and dope Polish food. However, it gets kinda packed in there sometimes and it's not in walking distance to the stadium. So if time is an issue maybe skip, but it's really good thou.

As for bars, IDK really know anymore. There's plenty of random bars around the stadium. I just made the pilgrimage last week and I just hung out at the checker bar and played pinball with da boys (it's one of them arcade bars).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I got you fam,

For food (before or after) hit up Lafayette Coney Island and get some coney dogs to stuff down your drunk food holes. You will see American Coney Island next door, and it will appear cleaner and more inviting. This is a trick we play on tourists. DO NOT EAT THERE. Real Detroiters know to eat at Lafayette, trust me.

A personal favorite of mine you might consider before the game is Polish Village Cafe. Good beer and dope Polish food. However, it gets kinda packed in there sometimes and it's not in walking distance to the stadium. So if time is an issue maybe skip, but it's really good thou.

As for bars, IDK really know anymore. There's plenty of random bars around the stadium. I just made the pilgrimage last week and I just hung out at the checker bar and played pinball with da boys (it's one of them arcade bars).

This. All the live-long dayyyy-O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually hit up the HockeyTown Café for pregame beers / food. If you're going there though, you're going for the fan experience (get drunk and rowdy with fellow Wings fans), not the food. Not that the food is terrible, but I'm sure there are better spots around. Great time though and less than a 5 minute walk to the LCA.

Enjoy the game. Hopefully the Wings can pull out a big W!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I got you fam,

For food (before or after) hit up Lafayette Coney Island and get some coney dogs to stuff down your drunk food holes. You will see American Coney Island next door, and it will appear cleaner and more inviting. This is a trick we play on tourists. DO NOT EAT THERE. Real Detroiters know to eat at Lafayette, trust me.

A personal favorite of mine you might consider before the game is Polish Village Cafe. Good beer and dope Polish food. However, it gets kinda packed in there sometimes and it's not in walking distance to the stadium. So if time is an issue maybe skip, but it's really good thou.

As for bars, IDK really know anymore. There's plenty of random bars around the stadium. I just made the pilgrimage last week and I just hung out at the checker bar and played pinball with da boys (it's one of them arcade bars).

Loving the honesty :lol: Thanks Mr. Legs 

3 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I usually hit up the HockeyTown Café for pregame beers / food. If you're going there though, you're going for the fan experience (get drunk and rowdy with fellow Wings fans), not the food. Not that the food is terrible, but I'm sure there are better spots around. Great time though and less than a 5 minute walk to the LCA.

Enjoy the game. Hopefully the Wings can pull out a big W!

Thank you! I think that's where I hung out before I went to the Joe a few years back. So I was really drunk when I booked this and booked a hotel on East Jefferson. Do you know what that area is like lol 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can we possibly lose to these guys?

80450524.jpg

As for places to go...

My last visit was several years ago, and I stayed at the Greektown Casino/Hotel...Lots of bars/restaurants in the Greektown area, and getting to the LCA should not be an issue since there's the People Mover (light rail), and numerous bars have shuttle buses.

Astoria Bakery is a must before you leave - that's if you got a sweet tooth.

Edited by F.Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

My last visit was several years ago, and I stayed at the Greektown Casino/Hotel...

This is what i did last time as well. Hotel, Casino, Food all in one place, they have shuttles to the game. It makes things really easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bucharest Grill is fantastic (and cheap) drunk food if you like Shawarma. 

+1 for Checker Bar because I'm a sucker for arcade games (Ready Player One is another arcade bar downtown). 

I know you said you don't really want to sit down, but Slow's BBQ is amazing.. highly recommend. 

Nemo's makes a pretty great burger iirc. Hopcat has an amazing beer selection/food, although isn't exclusive to Detroit. 

Edit: also, Pie-Sci is an awesome pizza place imo. 


Hope this helps some. Enjoy your trip!

Edited by amato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, amato said:

Bucharest Grill is fantastic (and cheap) drunk food if you like Shawarma. 

+1 for Checker Bar because I'm a sucker for arcade games (Ready Player One is another arcade bar downtown). 

I know you said you don't really want to sit down, but Slow's BBQ is amazing.. highly recommend. 

Nemo's makes a pretty great burger iirc. Hopcat has an amazing beer selection/food, although isn't exclusive to Detroit. 

Edit: also, Pie-Sci is an awesome pizza place imo. 


Hope this helps some. Enjoy your trip!

I heard the tough part is finding Nemo's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 12:02 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I got you fam,

For food (before or after) hit up Lafayette Coney Island and get some coney dogs to stuff down your drunk food holes. You will see American Coney Island next door, and it will appear cleaner and more inviting. This is a trick we play on tourists. DO NOT EAT THERE. Real Detroiters know to eat at Lafayette, trust me.

A personal favorite of mine you might consider before the game is Polish Village Cafe. Good beer and dope Polish food. However, it gets kinda packed in there sometimes and it's not in walking distance to the stadium. So if time is an issue maybe skip, but it's really good thou.

As for bars, IDK really know anymore. There's plenty of random bars around the stadium. I just made the pilgrimage last week and I just hung out at the checker bar and played pinball with da boys (it's one of them arcade bars).

Wait a second...

Your advice for me was to make some mostaccioli,  and meatballs, and place it in a ziplock bag to sneak it in...Seems like this response had a bit more effort...Thanks for nuffin :annoyed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Wait a second...

Your advice for me was to make some mostaccioli,  and meatballs, and place it in a ziplock bag to sneak it in...Seems like this response had a bit more effort...Thanks for nuffin :annoyed:

Shhhh I only give that good advice to LGW regulars. We dont want every lurker knowing all the secrets n tricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 10:13 AM, robb himself said:

I made the pilgrimage a couple years ago to see The Joe in its last season and really enjoyed the Anchor Bar and the Detroit Beer Co.

Don't forget Checker Bar and I'd highly recommend Northern Lights Lounge

On 10/9/2018 at 12:02 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I got you fam,

As for bars, IDK really know anymore. There's plenty of random bars around the stadium. I just made the pilgrimage last week and I just hung out at the checker bar and played pinball with da boys (it's one of them arcade bars).

yeah boy, the Checker Bar Rocks!

also, you Mr. Legs from now on...

Edited by NerveDamage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, F.Michael said:

How can we possibly lose to these guys?

80450524.jpg

As for places to go...

My last visit was several years ago, and I stayed at the Greektown Casino/Hotel...Lots of bars/restaurants in the Greektown area, and getting to the LCA should not be an issue since there's the People Mover (light rail), and numerous bars have shuttle buses.

Astoria Bakery is a must before you leave - that's if you got a sweet tooth.

lol, is that Tavares?

That people mover s-u-c-k-s, it only runs in one direction, found it easier to walk most of the times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

lol, is that Tavares?

That people mover s-u-c-k-s, it only runs in one direction, found it easier to walk most of the times

Well when you're intoxicated, and it's cold out - the People Mover works just fine :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, F.Michael said:

Well when you're intoxicated, and it's cold out - the People Mover works just fine :thumbup:

lol, was just gonna say, I partied too much after my third game there, third consecutive win for the Wings, and missed the last bus, ended up walking from downtown to my air bnb right by the motown museum, and yeah, I was intoxicated and it was late january...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NerveDamage said:

lol, was just gonna say, I partied too much after my third game there, third consecutive win for the Wings, and missed the last bus, ended up walking from downtown to my air bnb right by the motown museum, and yeah, I was intoxicated and it was late january...

Lesson learned...The People Mover can be your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

Lesson learned...The People Mover can be your friend.

lol, it only runs in the downtown area, and at that time it was closed too. Uber's the way to go. Although it was a nice walk.and had fun on the way back. it was around 3 am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

lol, is that Tavares?

That people mover s-u-c-k-s, it only runs in one direction, found it easier to walk most of the times

No it's not... but I'm sure someone with awesome photoshop skills can fix it... Tavares... Matthews... Marner...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now