• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

The Legend of Cholo (A Cholowski Appreciation Thread)

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I'd love it if I were the prospect projection take guy, but sadly I'm regularly wrong about them.  For instance, I thought AA had Seguin upside and a floor of Ryan Kesler.  I was way, way, wrong on that one.  I was right about Frk and Pulkkinen.  And I said one of Pulkkinen or Jurco would be good, and one would be bad.  So I was 50% wrong on that one.

I know you're sometimes wrong. I know this because I disagree with you sometimes and I am never wrong about anything. ;)

Still, we need all the superstition karma juju luck-o'-the-Irish we can muster. So, POST MOAR OPTIMISTIC PROJECTIONS, NERD. (Or don't. Just know that if you don't and this rebuild drags on for years, it's all your fault.)

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Hot take! I like it. I disagree, but I like it.

Yeah, but your track record assessing defensemen is abysmal lol.  You're pretty good with forwards, but defensemen have been hard on you.

11 hours ago, joesuffP said:

I think Sarijaarvi will be better than Hronek

Any good take requires that you explain your rationale.  Just saying something isn't really good enough in Takesville.  Take another crack at it. 

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Yeah, but your track record assessing defensemen is abysmal lol.  You're pretty good with forwards, but defensemen have been hard on you.

Yeah, I couldn't have been more wrong on my Smith assessment. To be fair though, he did have all the physical tools to be a top 4 defenseman, he just didn't have the hockey IQ... I think Sproul is very similar in that regard. Everyone gets some wrong from time to time, but for the couple I was dead wrong on, I was right on with a few too. When everyone was clamoring over Ouellet and Marchenko, I said that neither were anything more than depth defensemen. True. When everyone had given up on Jensen (except me and Lefty), I said he would be a solid bottom pairing defenseman. True. I guess I was wrong about Sambrook too though, because I thought for sure he'd be a solid bottom pairing defenseman. I now think Regula will fill that role. We'll have to wait and see...

You want a hot take on a defenseman? You said Cholowski has the potential to be a Duncan Keith type defenseman. I think Seth Barton has the potential to be a Brent Seabrook type defenseman... He's big, physical, mobile, great first pass. I really liked this pick in this past draft, but we'll have to wait and see how it pans out...

I've never really been a big fan of Saarijarvi. He's probably the exact opposite of Brendan Smith, which I suppose is a good thing... He's one of the smartest players on the ice, but lacks the physical tools (size, strength). He might make it, but I still have my doubts... I sure as hell hope I'm as wrong on Saarijarvi as I was on Smith and Sproul, but think it'll be more like Ouellet and Marchenko...

On 10/23/2018 at 11:59 AM, kipwinger said:

Any good take requires that you explain your rationale.  Just saying something isn't really good enough in Takesville.  Take another crack at it. 

To be fair, the team just hasn't been good with dmen period. Cholo is the first promising prospect to come along on the blueline since what, Kronwall? Hopefully the day of Kindl's and Smith's are over. 

On 10/23/2018 at 8:29 AM, kipwinger said:

I think just by the ole’ eye ball test that Villi has better offensive upside while both will be pretty bad defensively at the NHL level. I think Sarijaarvi gets overlooked because of his height. I think he’s the more dynamic dman

2 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

giphy.gif

As a kid growing up in the 70's/80's I have many fond memories of going to the 'recycling center' (aka the city dump, or junk yard) to dispose of grass clippings, leaves, etc with my father, and older brother.

We had a old truck with an AM radio, and it was always on this 'oldies' station that would regularily play Herb Alpert...

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

As a kid growing up in the 70's/80's I have many fond memories of going to the 'recycling center' (aka the city dump, or junk yard) to dispose of grass clippings, leaves, etc with my father, and older brother.

We had a old truck with an AM radio, and it was always on this 'oldies' station that would regularily play Herb Alpert...

when-you-hear-someone-bumpin-them-oldies

1 minute ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Could there be anyone who looks less like a "Cholo" than Cholowski? The nickname just doesn't fit. Unless of course it's one of those ironic nicknames, like calling the biggest guy on your team "Tiny" or the fat guy "Slim".

So "The Big Cholowski"?

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Could there be anyone who looks less like a "Cholo" than Cholowski? The nickname just doesn't fit. Unless of course it's one of those ironic nicknames, like calling the biggest guy on your team "Tiny" or the fat guy "Slim".

Or you could not be racist, and stop equating a shorthand version of a person's name to an ethnic slur. What are you going to do if we draft this guy? :)