No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

10/26 Here Goes Nothing GDT - Jets @ Red Wings - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

22 hours ago, kjw25 said:

“60 minutes of Hell”

Abbys 1 point in 10 games, 5 million a year hhahahhahahahahahahahha

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/detroit-red-wings/justin-abdelkader-6200/

He doesn't make 5 a year. It's structured so that his salary declines as the the contract is played out. His cap hit is 4.25, which is the more important number for cap considerations.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

2 hours ago, kjw25 said:

Real talk- Abby is suppose to be one of our “best players” with his albatross of a  contract, yet he’s terrible. 

Hence, why we are the worst team in the league.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/

Actually, Abby is the 228th highest paid player in the league. The top 16 highest paid players in the league all make at least double Abby's cap hit. He is tied for 9th on the team with Ericsson in cap hit. So no, he isn't supposed to be one of our best players. But just keep up with your over the top hatred for the guy. Don't let facts get in the way.

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Actually, Abby is the 228th highest paid player in the league. The top 16 highest paid players in the league all make at least double Abby's cap hit. He is tied for 9th on the team with Ericsson in cap hit. So no, he isn't supposed to be one of our best players. But just keep up with your over the top hatred for the guy. Don't let facts get in the way.

Hey, the truth is Abby stinks and he is WAY overpaid for what he brings. That’s the fact, Jack.

23 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Exactly.

Abdelkader, Nielsen, Helm, Nyquist, Ericsson, Green, Dekeyser, and Kronwall take up 36 million of cap hit.  

They have 4 goals, 17 assists collectively.

Toews and Kane take up 21 million of cap space.

They have 17 goals and 11 assists collectively.

Our GM is a fool.  Simple as that.

LOL. E, Kronwall, and DD are all D, they aren't paid to score. Green has only played in one game. Nyquist is tied for the team lead in points, Nielsen is tied for 2nd. They are both doing what they are paid to do. Helm and Abby are both middle 6 to 3rd line F. Although you'd like to see more points out of them, comparing any of them to Toews and Kane is completely unfair.

16 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Both he and Ericsson are vastly overpaid.  You don't have one of the highest payrolls in the league combined with one of the worst records in the league and not have over paid players.  

Our problem isn't that we have an 8-10 million a year guy playing like a 3 million a year guy... but we have numerous 3-6 million dollar conttacts for middling players. Contract's that were signed after a good year, or with overly optimistic projections of future performance, or worst of all for "loyalty" a nebulous term that means don't question us about our blatant error in signing that contract.

Edited by mackel

13 minutes ago, mackel said:

Both he and Ericsson are vastly overpaid.  You don't have one of the highest payrolls in the league combined with one of the worst records in the league and not have over paid players.  

Our problem isn't that we have an 8-10 million a year guy playing like a 3 million a year guy... but we have numerous 3-6 million dollar conttacts for middling players. Contract's that were signed after a good year, or with overly optimistic projections of future performance, or worst of all for "loyalty" a nebulous term that means don't question us about our blatant error in signing that contract.

He was correlating salary with points, which is absurd. Bad teams best and higher paid players will always have fewer points than a good teams best and higher paid players. As I said, Nyquist and Nielsen are contributing offensively. It's not their fault that they play on a very bad team overall. I expect a 5 milion dollar player on a good team to put up more points than a 5 million dollar player on a bad team. It's unreasonable to expect  the same points per dollar for individual players in a team sport.

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

He was correlating salary with points, which is absurd. Bad teams best and higher paid players will always have fewer points than a good teams best and higher paid players. As I said, Nyquist and Nielsen are contributing offensively. It's not their fault that they play on a very bad team overall. I expect a 5 milion dollar player on a good team to put up more points than a 5 million dollar player on a bad team. It's unreasonable to expect  the same points per dollar for individual players in a team sport.

I actually think he was merely correlating Abby's salary to his level of suck.  He's right about that too, but at this point its beating a dead horse as no one was happy with that contract when he got it.  However Abby isn't why the wings suck, he is a good example as to how our GM and upper management put this team into the situation we are in but he's not why we suck.  Our roster has many players- Larkin, AA, Nyquist, Nielsen, Mantha, Vanek & Bertuzzi that could put up a lot of points IF we had a superstar or heck even two.  Our management dropped the ball very heavily on that and we are seeing the consequences of it, now we are left looking for a white horse in a field of donkeys.

31 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

I actually think he was merely correlating Abby's salary to his level of suck.  He's right about that too, but at this point its beating a dead horse as no one was happy with that contract when he got it.  However Abby isn't why the wings suck, he is a good example as to how our GM and upper management put this team into the situation we are in but he's not why we suck.  Our roster has many players- Larkin, AA, Nyquist, Nielsen, Mantha, Vanek & Bertuzzi that could put up a lot of points IF we had a superstar or heck even two.  Our management dropped the ball very heavily on that and we are seeing the consequences of it, now we are left looking for a white horse in a field of donkeys.

No he wasn't. He was pointing out several players that he personally doesn't like and judging their worth based on points, while ignoring the fact that no one on this team is having a good season.

Nyquist is tied for the team lead with Larkin in points and makes more than 1.25 less in AAV. And yet he continues to be a target.

Nielsen is only one point behind and makes almost a million dollars less than "our best player". And yet he continues to be targeted. 

Why? Because people just didn't like their contracts. It doesn't matter that they are actually doing better than most of the team. All that matters is that people want them gone and replaced by cheaper and younger players, none of whom are (Bert, Mantha, AA, Ras), or would be (Zadina), performing any better.

None of Nyquist, Nielsen, Abby, Helm, etc are elite game changers, nor are they paid like it. They are all guys who will struggle on weaker teams and perform better on better teams. The fact that this team overall sucks is why we're seeing individual player stats drop. To single out specific players is not only unfair, it's disingenuous.

Cholowski, and maybe Howard, are literally the only 2 guys on this team that I can say are meeting or exceeding expectations IMO. To then focus only on the "usual suspects" for the blame is really, really biased.

52 minutes ago, 13dangledangle said:

Pretty much.

The Abdelkader contract is bad. It's one of several bad contracts on the books. I don't think these contracts have directly contributed to our downfall and I don't think they're really holding us back in any meaningful way right now, but I get why people hate on them.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to drafting. We haven't been able to find another Datsyuk or Zetterberg in the later rounds and we went 500 years without picking in the top ten, so it's no surprise that we've become a basement team. I think it's fair to give the organization some grief for not finding, say, a John Klingberg (5th round), but that's in the past now. What matters now is the 2019 draft.

Edited by Dabura

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Pretty much.

The Abdelkader contract is bad. It's one of several bad contracts on the books. I don't think these contracts have directly contributed to our downfall and I don't think they're really holding us back in any meaningful way right now, but I get why people hate on them.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to drafting. We haven't been able to find another Datsyuk or Zetterberg in the later rounds and we went 500 years without picking in the top ten, so it's no surprise that we've become a basement team. I think it's fair to give the organization some grief for not finding, say, a John Klingberg (5th round), but that's in the past now. What matters now is the 2019 draft.

Precisely. These contracts are definitely bad, but they aren't what sinked us. If we had an Auston Matthews, Morgan Riley, Jake Gardiner, Mitch Marner, Will Nylander, Kasperi Kapenen, and John Tavares, on the team then I'd definitely be up in arms about all the bad contracts, but we don't. If we shed Abby's contract tomorrow, so what? An extra $4 million doesn't help us in anyway shape or form. We don't have a hot young player to step in and take that money, and paying a bKovalchuck that money only prelongs our demise.

Drafting is the foundation of a good team, we used to boast that we were the best at this, but were not anymore. 

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Precisely. These contracts are definitely bad, but they aren't what sinked us. If we had an Auston Matthews, Morgan Riley, Jake Gardiner, Mitch Marner, Will Nylander, Kasperi Kapenen, and John Tavares, on the team then I'd definitely be up in arms about all the bad contracts, but we don't. If we shed Abby's contract tomorrow, so what? An extra $4 million doesn't help us in anyway shape or form. We don't have a hot young player to step in and take that money, and paying a bKovalchuck that money only prelongs our demise.

Drafting is the foundation of a good team, we used to boast that we were the best at this, but were not anymore. 

We need to draft this guy...

97dd6e56075bc69037da19b119b43b2a.jpg

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Exactly. Especially the bold. I was gonna make that very point, but I didn't really want to get into it.