• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Jimmy Devellano Dishes on the Rebuild, Teases Secret Plan

Rate this topic

Team is bad. News is slow. So let's talk about Jimmy Devellano's latest public comments.

Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild [NHL.com]

Here are the parts that stood out to me, mostly for Jimmy D's low-key HYPE! game:

"We're superstar driven, and it pains me, it pains Ken, that we are bereft of a superstar," Devellano said. "Superstars win games. Superstars sell tickets. Superstars drive TV ratings. And to sit here and not have that kind of player, or preferably players, is painful. But that's as candid as I can be with you. We do have a plan."

"The one thing we don't want to do is make promises," Devellano said. " 'Oh, we're going to be really good two years from now.' 'Oh, we're going to be really good four years from now.' Because quite frankly, we don't know, and we have precedents with these other teams to see how long it has taken.

"Quite frankly, we're not the most patient people. We've been used to winning. We may have to go outside the box to push this program along. I won't go into detail about that, but we may have to go outside the box and do things that normally aren't done in order to push us up the standings and to get more competitive."

"You need to start somewhere with a superstar," Devellano said. "We recognize that. I can tell you as long as Ken Holland and Jimmy D are involved, we will be aggressive.

"We won't be placid. We've been placid the last two years. We're going to be placid the remainder of this year. There's not much we can do. But if people think that as long as Ken and I are involved that we're going to sit back and not do something to shake the tree, so to speak, that ain't happening.

"That's where we are. We're in a tough situation."

Thoughts?

(It's Devellano; your guess is as good as mine.)

Edited by Dabura

2 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Is this really him speaking in third person and calling himself Jimmy D? If so, that's my biggest takeaway.

Absolute madman. He needs to start a podcast.

Anyway. My take? This talk of a "plan" is probably just Devellano doing some PR for a bad team that's struggling to put butts in the seats. And he gets to puff his chest a bit while doing it. I'm not saying there isn't a plan. Of course there's a plan. I'm just saying it's probably more or less what you'd expect it to be, i.e. no real surprises, no aces up the sleeve.

And yet...maybe he's being completely straight. Maybe it's not just talk. Like, "I won't go into detail about that, but we may have to go outside the box and do things that normally aren't done in order to push us up the standings and to get more competitive," is more or less how I would say, "We're looking at everything, including offer sheets and trading our first pick in the upcoming draft," if I wanted to say it without getting into any specifics.

"Quite frankly, we're not the most patient people. We've been used to winning. We may have to go outside the box to push this program along. I won't go into detail about that, but we may have to go outside the box and do things that normally aren't done in order to push us up the standings and to get more competitive

Mitch Marner offer sheet

2 minutes ago, mackel said:

To me this means they plan to clear salary and make a big splash with offer sheets.

It does line up pretty well with what he's describing (assuming he's describing anything at all). Maybe this is his way of making it known that the Wings are seriously considering opening that can of worms. A sporting, gentlemanly gesture...the kind you'd expect from an old-fashioned guy like Devellano.

Here's a list of the 2019 RFA class:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/rfa/

I've been waiting for a team to break the moratorium on offer-sheeting. In the salary cap ecosystem, organizations are constantly mining for any competitive advantages they can get. The offer sheet option, then, is sort of an elephant in the room; no team is exploiting it, no team will even touch it. But it's only a matter of time before someone goes for it, and it would be pretty funny if it's Ken Holland.

6 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Offer-sheet Auston Matthews.

Draft Jack Hughes.

Murica.

As much as I like the idea of being the classy franchise on a hill, I'm 100% ok with Holland just becoming the first GM to use predatory offer sheets left and right and trolling teams with them up and down the league. Would be lol

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

As much as I like the idea of being the classy franchise on a hill, I'm 100% ok with Holland just becoming the first GM to use predatory offer sheets left and right and trolling teams with them up and down the league. Would be lol

Absolutely.

Holland's been a pretty good sport about this whole salary cap thing, considering the whole point of it is to severely limit Ken Holland's ability to throw the Ilitch family's money at players. It would be poetic.

Holland was op af.
They tried to nerf him.
They failed.

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Team is bad. News is slow. So let's talk about Jimmy Devellano's latest public comments.

Red Wings won't 'sit back' in attempt to rebuild [NHL.com]

Here are the parts that stood out to me, mostly for Jimmy D's low-key HYPE! game:

Thoughts?

(It's Devellano; your guess is as good as mine.)

He'll come out tomorrow and tell us all how Zadina has been very, very, very disappointing. That's thinking outside the box.

No one is exploiting offer sheets because as it stands the deck is heavily stacked against it. Has nothing to do with "class". As the rules stand, the offer sheet system is basically trading high draft picks for the right to drastically overpay an unproven kid.

The only situation where it might be feasible is a decent secondary scorer that won't cost too much in pick compensation, but you think is about to break out into star status, but his current team doesn't think he will and is also up against the cap. And even then you need to right about the breakout for it to be a good move.

56 minutes ago, Buppy said:

No one is exploiting offer sheets because as it stands the deck is heavily stacked against it. Has nothing to do with "class". As the rules stand, the offer sheet system is basically trading high draft picks for the right to drastically overpay an unproven kid.

The only situation where it might be feasible is a decent secondary scorer that won't cost too much in pick compensation, but you think is about to break out into star status, but his current team doesn't think he will and is also up against the cap. And even then you need to right about the breakout for it to be a good move.

You're not wrong at all about offer sheets, but actually gaining control of the RFA in question and providing said compensation is not the goal of a predatory offer sheet, which is what I would advocate for. Essentially I just want Holland to offer sheet ONLY the big names, like Auston Matthews, to drive up their cost for their respective teams. At the end of the day I'm overly confident that Toronto would match even league maximum for a player like this, despite the high compensation. So I'd do it to certain teams like Toronto.. they probably wern't gonna trade much with us anyway.

If Jimmy D is seriously alluding to acquiring a player via offer sheet, I think it's probably a bad idea. At first look I assume he'd be targeting Trouba, who has the connections to Michigan and has had troubles signing past contracts with the Jets. Issue there is he's obviously no superstar and would cost us way to much.

If anything I think Jimmy D is referring to a trade. As in perhaps an unconventional trade for a basement team. Like retaining salary on some of our current players and swapping them for someone else. Maybe an aging star like Kovalcuk? IDK, purely spitballing.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You're not wrong at all about offer sheets, but actually gaining control of the RFA in question and providing said compensation is not the goal of a predatory offer sheet, which is what I would advocate for. Essentially I just want Holland to offer sheet ONLY the big names, like Auston Matthews, to drive up their cost for their respective teams. At the end of the day I'm overly confident that Toronto would match even league maximum for a player like this, despite the high compensation. So I'd do it to certain teams like Toronto.. they probably wern't gonna trade much with us anyway.

If Jimmy D is seriously alluding to acquiring a player via offer sheet, I think it's probably a bad idea. At first look I assume he'd be targeting Trouba, who has the connections to Michigan and has had troubles signing past contracts with the Jets. Issue there is he's obviously no superstar and would cost us way to much.

If anything I think Jimmy D is referring to a trade. As in perhaps an unconventional trade for a basement team. Like retaining salary on some of our current players and swapping them for someone else. Maybe an aging star like Kovalcuk? IDK, purely spitballing.

Trouba might not be a superstar, but he just injured one...

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Trouba might not be a superstar, but he just injured one...

And I like Trouba, don't get me wrong. He'd certainly help this team.

But compensation to actually acquire him via offer sheet is likely approaching $7+ million with heavy term and FOUR 1st round picks going back to the Jets. That's not smart in anyway shape or form. 

(Also I know some kids who played hockey with Trouba and none of his former teammates had anything nice to say about him. The general consensus being all said he's a mommas boy and didn't have many friends. Take that for what you will. 2nd hand knowledge)

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And I like Trouba, don't get me wrong. He'd certainly help this team.

But compensation to actually acquire him via offer sheet is likely approaching $7+ million with heavy term and FOUR 1st round picks going back to the Jets. That's not smart in anyway shape or form. 

No - we don't offer Trouba an offer sheet - we offer Matthews/Marner the big $$$, and watch Toronto have fits.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

IDK about Marner, but do you think our 1st rounder for the next four years is worth Matthews? I think so.

My only concern with Matthews is his recent bout with injuries...Otherwise - yes I'd certainly entertain the thought of signing him.

1 minute ago, F.Michael said:

My only concern with Matthews is his recent bout with injuries...Otherwise - yes I'd certainly entertain the thought of signing him.

What is he out for 4 weeks or something with a shoulder injury?

I'm almost more tickled by putting the screws to Toronto than I am actually signing him.

29 minutes ago, rwing said:

Because nothing says “out of the box” like Kenny Holland. 

You mean the guy who invented 3 on 3 overtime and sold it to the league? Clearly just a narrow minded pleeb. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

Here's what I call "Shaking The Tree" and "Being Aggressive."

Trade a couple of players by the TDL, in no particular order examples being Ericsson, Nielsen, Nyquist, Howard, Daley, Helm or Glendening for no other purpose but to acquire MANY draft picks and to open up some cap space for the summer. We don't need to trade all of them, but just enough to get a more picks and clear a bit of cap.

Win (hopefully) the draft lottery. Draft Jack Hughes. Out of our hands though.

Entertain the idea of signing Nyquist and Howard in the off season, even if we've already traded them, but both at less money. Howard may accept, but Nyquist may want, and deserve a raise, in that case, he can sign elsewhere. Re-sign Jensen at a similar rate, or he can go elsewhere.

No interest in re-signing Vanek, Witko or Kronwall. Seriously think about buying out Ericsson if we get into a cap crunch. His hit will only be $1.4M for two seasons compared to his $4.25 for the one season.

Pursue Karlsson with all our might, minimum $11M per.

When Trouba, again, doesn't get a fair offer from Winnipeg, trade our 2020 2nd, 2021 1st and an NHL ready/quality player for him. Immediately sign him to the max extension, minimum $8M per.

Top D will be Karlsson - Trouba followed by Cholowski - Green.

PLUS How does this look for a top 6?

Mantha - Larkin - Zadina

AA - Hughes - Rasmussen

Hopefully this is similar to what Jimmy D means as well. Honestly, it won't require too many, nor outrageous trades. Trade Daley to a Cup contender, trade Glenny to Toronto, trade Nyquist to a Cup contender. Offer Karlsson the world.  The hardest part will be acquiring Trouba, BUT, if Cholowski continues his growth, do we really need to trade for Trouba if we already signed Karlsson? We could always wait for him to become UFA and see if he wants to come home to play.