• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Jimmy Devellano Dishes on the Rebuild, Teases Secret Plan

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

You're not wrong at all about offer sheets, but actually gaining control of the RFA in question and providing said compensation is not the goal of a predatory offer sheet, which is what I would advocate for. Essentially I just want Holland to offer sheet ONLY the big names, like Auston Matthews, to drive up their cost for their respective teams. At the end of the day I'm overly confident that Toronto would match even league maximum for a player like this, despite the high compensation. So I'd do it to certain teams like Toronto.. they probably wern't gonna trade much with us anyway.

Right.

I think it's only a matter of time before someone goes this route.

3 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You mean the guy who invented 3 on 3 overtime and sold it to the league? Clearly just a narrow minded pleeb. 

You are right. I overlooked this. We should do all we can to keep Holland as his genius will rebuild this team from the ashes to rise again to glory. 

15 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Devellano said. "We recognize that. I can tell you as long as Ken Holland and Jimmy D are involved, we will be aggressive."  

Is this really him speaking in third person and calling himself Jimmy D? If so, that's my biggest takeaway.

He must be a big Seinfeld fan.  

13 hours ago, Dabura said:

Offer-sheet Auston Matthews.

Draft Jack Hughes.

Murica.

Does that still work?  I used to be awesome at that in NHL 12.  

42 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This guy gets it

I honestly don’t know if I do. I react mostly as a pissed off fan. The talk about super stars got to me. Was it any mystery that Lidstrom was going to retire some day? Was Datsyuks reluctance to stay on not known for a long time? Was Hanks playing through his back problems viewed as a minor set back? I see no evidence of any strategy to in any way address the obvious demise of our former superstars. Just excuses. The streak, the cap... 

11 minutes ago, rwing said:

I honestly don’t know if I do. I react mostly as a pissed off fan. The talk about super stars got to me. Was it any mystery that Lidstrom was going to retire some day? Was Datsyuks reluctance to stay on not known for a long time? Was Hanks playing through his back problems viewed as a minor set back? I see no evidence of any strategy to in any way address the obvious demise of our former superstars. Just excuses. The streak, the cap... 

I don't think Devellano's making excuses, he's just stating facts. You need superstar talent and we don't have it, and we don't have it because that's just the way it goes. The "plan" is for accelerating the rebuild process.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I don't think Devellano's making excuses, he's just stating facts. You need superstar talent and we don't have it, and we don't have it because that's just the way it goes. The "plan" is for accelerating the rebuild process.

You have to admit, Holland really didn't have a back up plan when we lost those guys, which was no real surprise.  He was supposed to leave when Lids retired....

Just now, Hockeymom1960 said:

You have to admit, Holland really didn't have a back up plan when we lost those guys, which was no real surprise.  He was supposed to leave when Lids retired....

Oh, believe me, I could complain at length about it. Indeed, I have complained at length about it, many times.

But, at this point? I've accepted that it is what it is. Maybe some mistakes were made, but, ultimately, us ending up in this hole was pretty much an inevitability.

15 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Yes. But what should Holland's plan have been? To start the tank in 2010 so that they'd have a superstar at the ready when Lidstrom retired? With those three still on the roster? 

Anyway, what a fresh new subject. I really thing there is potential here to discuss this moving forward. :lol:

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

21 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Oh, believe me, I could complain at length about it. Indeed, I have complained at length about it, many times.

But, at this point? I've accepted that it is what it is. Maybe some mistakes were made, but, ultimately, us ending up in this hole was pretty much an inevitability.

Ahah! You are farther ahead in the five stages of Wings grief. I need to work on this. What is it? Denial, Anger,... Acceptance. I’m stuck on anger! Seriously this is an epiphany for me. 

16 minutes ago, rwing said:

I mean, you have to draft superstars in order to get superstars, unless you are poised to get one of the rare ones that becomes available like San Jose was with Karlsson, or we were with Hossa back in the contention days.

Lidstrom - drafted
Datsyuk - drafted
Zetterberg - drafted

So I see that as the strategy for the last 10 years: Draft & Hope

I think there was real hope that Hudler & Filppula would be the next leaders on this team. That fell short. Round 2 was Nyquist & Tatar. That too fell short. The inability to draft and develop a single decent Dman since Kronwall is a GLARING issue as well.

Now we have round 3 in Larkin/Cholowski/Mantha/Rasmussen/Bertuzzi/AA... unfortunately there's no goalie and one Dman in there, but it is what it is.... we pretty much have to just keep drafting and hoping. This is the way of the modern NHL.

The question for me is: Is our drafting/scouting worse than it was in the past, or are we not developing our draft picks to their full potential?

To me the answer is the former, I don't think our development is any worse than it once was for the most part. The thing that made the Red Wings not just a great team, but a powerhouse dynasty back when, was the willingness to explore untapped markets of talent in Europe back in the 90s and early 2000s. That rare advantage we had ended in the early 2000s and we started coming back down to earth around 2010. To boot, Nill and Yzerman both stole a lot of scouts on their departure.

TLDR: We were a draft power house, other teams caught up and picked our fat carcass dry, now we must draft and hope with the pleb teams.

17 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I mean, you have to draft superstars in order to get superstars, unless you are poised to get one of the rare ones that becomes available like San Jose was with Karlsson, or we were with Hossa back in the contention days.

Lidstrom - drafted
Datsyuk - drafted
Zetterberg - drafted

So I see that as the strategy for the last 10 years: Draft & Hope

I think there was real hope that Hudler & Filppula would be the next leaders on this team. That fell short. Round 2 was Nyquist & Tatar. That too fell short. The inability to draft and develop a single decent Dman since Kronwall is a GLARING issue as well.

Now we have round 3 in Larkin/Cholowski/Mantha/Rasmussen/Bertuzzi/AA... unfortunately there's no goalie and one Dman in there, but it is what it is.... we pretty much have to just keep drafting and hoping. This is the way of the modern NHL.

The question for me is: Is our drafting/scouting worse than it was in the past, or are we not developing our draft picks to their full potential?

To me the answer is the former, I don't think our development is any worse than it once was for the most part. The thing that made the Red Wings not just a great team, but a powerhouse dynasty back when, was the willingness to explore untapped markets of talent in Europe back in the 90s and early 2000s. That rare advantage we had ended in the early 2000s and we started coming back down to earth around 2010. To boot, Nill and Yzerman both stole a lot of scouts on their departure.

TLDR: We were a draft power house, other teams caught up and picked our fat carcass dry, now we must draft and hope with the pleb teams.

Makes tons of sense. All were drafted late due to outstanding scouting plus unique environment of untapped “markets” for new players. Any hope of revitalizing our scouting? 

6 minutes ago, rwing said:

Makes tons of sense. All were drafted late due to outstanding scouting plus unique environment of untapped “markets” for new players. Any hope of revitalizing our scouting? 

Maybe they should use the scouters from Dragonball Z to assess a player's power level before drafting him.  

Just now, rwing said:

I don't have a clue as to how... if there's any revitalization to the front office it will come when Yzerman takes over, but what can he really do besides steal the same scouts he already took once back, and replace our coach with someone new? It's a start I guess, but I doubt it will make a significant impact.

The next big untapped market for players is in all likelihood China, but that could be 20, 30, even 50+ years out I think.

Were gonna be bad for longer than people realize or are willing to admit IMO

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I don't have a clue as to how... if there's any revitalization to the front office it will come when Yzerman takes over, but what can he really do besides steal the same scouts he already took once back, and replace our coach with someone new? It's a start I guess, but I doubt it will make a significant impact.

The next big untapped market for players is in all likelihood China, but that could be 20, 30, even 50+ years out I think.

China has one zillion people and has produced exactly ZERO professional soccer players.  If they can't even play the world's most popular team sport, what makes you think hockey will be better?

My guess is the next untapped market will be in Arizona, where some young, pig nosed kid may be the next NHL superstar.    

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not according to Jimmy D

3 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

China has one zillion people and has produced exactly ZERO professional soccer players.  If they can't even play the world's most popular team sport, what makes you think hockey will be better?

My guess is the next untapped market will be in Arizona, where some young, pig nosed kid may be the next NHL superstar.    

I just see them starting to care more about professional sports going forward. There middle class has made leaps and bounds the last 5 or 10 years and probably will continue to do so.

Ur probably right though, southern United States, especially the West coast, has gotta be the fastest growing I'd think

2 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Not according to Jimmy D

Jimmy D is placid AF

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I just see them starting to care more about professional sports going forward. There middle class has made leaps and bounds the last 5 or 10 years and probably will continue to do so.

Ur probably right though, southern United States, especially the West coast, has gotta be the fastest growing I'd think

Jimmy D is placid AF

What about the Pacific Northwest?  Maybe young would-be hipster boys will be drawn to hockey instead of drugs once they get an NHL team.  

9 hours ago, rwing said:

Its not that our scouting has gotten bad, the issue is that the rest of the league caught up. We used to have such a advantage when it came to scouting oversees, now we are just 1/31 teams doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, mackel said:

I'd rather have Marner than Matthews, you can't go wrong with either one.

Marner sucks, flame war me

3 minutes ago, kliq said:

Its not that our scouting has gotten bad, the issue is that the rest of the league caught up. We used to have such a advantage when it came to scouting oversees, now we are just 1/31 teams doing the same thing.

I agree, but I do think it's underrated how much staff Nill and Yzerman took with them.

15 hours ago, kliq said:

is there any way a team could find a new way to be innovative or at an advantage in scouting like the wings were back then? Or was it a one time thing. Other than China of course. Then again the wings are winning again so everything is ok!

11 minutes ago, rwing said:

is there any way a team could find a new way to be innovative or at an advantage in scouting like the wings were back then? Or was it a one time thing. Other than China of course. Then again the wings are winning again so everything is ok!

Unless they bring in the equivalent of a Bill Belichick, there's not much else they can do. The playing field has been leveled when it comes to scouting and drafting. The only advantage that can be gained now is thru exploiting the rules, and bringing in guys who know how to "cheat" the system.