• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

In Praise of Tyler Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

The problem is the NHL is becoming soft and turning into the pansy league and it's happening in the OHL too.  Trust me I went an OHL game recently and was bored to tears unfortunately.

Pffft...Pansy pacifists making hockey boring...

97dd6e56075bc69037da19b119b43b2a.jpg

I'm gonna be miffed if Bertuzzi has to sit out against Tampa. And it's Bertuzzi I'll be miffed at, not NHL Player Safety.

Reasons:

1. He has to be smarter than that. (Same goes for Rasmussen and Larkin, I suppose.)
  2. This is a big week for the team and he's been playing really well...and now we might be without him for at least one of these two upcoming measuring stick games (Tampa and Toronto). Can't risk hurting the team like that.

1 hour ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

The problem is the NHL is becoming soft and turning into the pansy league and it's happening in the OHL too.  Trust me I went an OHL game recently and was bored to tears unfortunately.

November, 2018 had the third highest amount of goals scored in the entire history of the NHL.  If you're bored you're probably not paying attention.   Or does goal scoring make for boring games now?

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

I'm gonna be miffed if Bertuzzi has to sit out against Tampa. And it's Bertuzzi I'll be miffed at, not NHL Player Safety.

Reasons:

1. He has to be smarter than that. (Same goes for Rasmussen and Larkin, I suppose.)
  2. This is a big week for the team and he's been playing really well...and now we might be without him for at least one of these two upcoming measuring stick games (Tampa and Toronto). Can't risk hurting the team like that.

I thought it was great!  Make the game even more exciting. 

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

Reasons:

I thought I was gonna get suspended from LGW for stating similar last night.  :lol:

Can't say it wasn't deserving...what was he thinking?  I get grabbing the guys stick, it's hard for guys to resist doing that....but to take your glove off and uppercut the guy to the head from the bench?  To those suggesting the league is getting soft.....come on....this was never and should never be ok.

I'll save the arguments about league going soft for another day, but it's a very easy comment for someone that only watches the games and doesn't have to worry about being crippled later in life from the game.

36 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

Can't say it wasn't deserving...what was he thinking?  I get grabbing the guys stick, it's hard for guys to resist doing that....but to take your glove off and uppercut the guy to the head from the bench?  To those suggesting the league is getting soft.....come on....this was never and should never be ok.

I'll save the arguments about league going soft for another day, but it's a very easy comment for someone that only watches the games and doesn't have to worry about being crippled later in life from the game.

Edit: Nevermind. My bad.

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

3 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I thought it was great!  Make the game even more exciting. 

Maybe it made the game more entertaining, and maybe that's all that should matter to us as fans. But in terms of, like, actual hockey stuff and the business of being a serious pro hockey player, it was selfish and stupid.

The way I see it, this whole run of reasonably good hockey the Wings have been on over the past month or so has been leading up to these next two rematches. They're the big measuring stick games. The Lightning, in particular, are a demon we need to exorcise; they're the closest thing we have right now to a hated nemesis. Removing Bertuzzi from the equation removes the one player you could point to and say, "We haven't really had this kind of player in a while. Even last season he wasn't playing like he is this season. He gives us a different dimension and might be exactly what we need against a team like Tampa that has completely owned us for a long time now."

tl;dr It would've been nice to see the Wings square off against Tampa and Toronto at full strength and it's so perfectly stupid that our hottest player got himself suspended and will miss those two games (and only those two games).

Edited by Dabura

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

So we lose our hottest player for the two biggest games of the month. Awesome. Way to go, everyone. Couldn't have scripted it any better.

Could have been worse. 2 games instead of 5, he lucked out. I wonder if Uncle Todd will call him up and tell him to watch that kinda s*** from now on, and remind him of how being a loose cannon and ending another player's career for nothing started his own drastic career decline. This is a warning from the NHL, next time it'll be worse, and he is needed on the ice.

9 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Could have been worse. 2 games instead of 5, he lucked out. I wonder if Uncle Todd will call him up and tell him to watch that kinda s*** from now on, and remind him of how being a loose cannon and ending another player's career for nothing started his own drastic career decline. This is a warning from the NHL, next time it'll be worse, and he is needed on the ice.

Yet the spear was ok. I get it, Bert should not have dropped his glove and punched him, maybe if he just swatted him with the glove on, there would have been no suspension, but if Calvert didn't jab his stick into Bert, there would not have been a maul by Larkin or a punch at all by Bertuzzi. IMO, outside of the normal NHL shenanigans that go on at the bench, players hold sticks all the time, even NHL Player Safety said so, but if Calvert would've just left his stick after he could't get it, maybe there would have been a interference call on the bench, but when Calvert speared at Bert, that is when the problem really began. There should have been discipline of some sort for both sides.

53 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Yet the spear was ok. I get it, Bert should not have dropped his glove and punched him, maybe if he just swatted him with the glove on, there would have been no suspension, but if Calvert didn't jab his stick into Bert, there would not have been a maul by Larkin or a punch at all by Bertuzzi. IMO, outside of the normal NHL shenanigans that go on at the bench, players hold sticks all the time, even NHL Player Safety said so, but if Calvert would've just left his stick after he could't get it, maybe there would have been a interference call on the bench, but when Calvert speared at Bert, that is when the problem really began. There should have been discipline of some sort for both sides.

I agree.  Bert's suspension appropriate, but if someone was speared like that on the ice it would be all over the media and guaranteed suspension.  I really dont get why its not being discussed more.

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

I'm going to post this in two threads:

This kind of s*** would never have happened with Babcock as coach. People complained about the Wings not sticking up for teammates and/or being too soft? Well this is what you get folks. 

:rolleyes:

He's just has to remember next time to keep his glove on when he's on the bench when he starts punching.  Problem solved!!