• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Secret

Blackhawks Fire Coach Quenneville

Rate this topic

The team sucks. Therefore, Blashill sucks. Therefore, Blashill needs to go. Cuz the team sucks. Bring in another Coach. The team still sucks, but at least we suck with a different Coach. And then I can feel good about myself, because we got rid of Blashill. Even tho we aren't any better. And we still suck.

#NeverBlashill

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

The team sucks. Therefore, Blashill sucks. Therefore, Blashill needs to go. Cuz the team sucks. Bring in another Coach. The team still sucks, but at least we suck with a different Coach. And then I can feel good about myself, because we got rid of Blashill. Even tho we aren't any better. And we still suck.

#NeverBlashill

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

#NeverBlashill

New coaches are different than what I am used to. New things frighten me. Change is scary. New things are bad. Never change.

You'd be crazy not to call now and inquire about Quenneville. He's a world class coach and those don't come around too often. That said, if he agreed in principle to coaching the Wings, you still let Blashill finish out the season and get the lottery pick.  I'd love to have him, especially as we start turning the corner on this rebuild. 

Edited by kipwinger

15 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You'd be crazy not to call now and inquire about Quenneville. He's a world class coach and those don't come around too often. That said, if he agreed in principle to coaching the Wings, you still let Blashill finish out the season and get the lottery pick.  I'd love to have him, especially as we start turning the corner on this rebuild. 

Absolutely!

I find it interesting as to how some will say that 'Blash is good with the kids'...WTF does that mean? These are young adults - not 12 yr olds.

Then in the same breath they'll say 'we need Blash right now, but when the Wings turn things around, and get good again - that's when we hire a guy like Coach Q'... Okay then - the problem is a guy like Coach Q may not be available when this team turns things around.

On top of that - while I'm not too concerned about 'feelings' - what does that tell Blashill if he in fact does get this team heading into the right direction, and then he gets the boot because the mgt feels he's not good enough from that point forth?

If you're gonna replace a guy like Blashill for Coach Q - you do it right now, or you don't do it at all.

15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Absolutely!

I find it interesting as to how some will say that 'Blash is good with the kids'...WTF does that mean? These are young adults - not 12 yr olds.

Then in the same breath they'll say 'we need Blash right now, but when the Wings turn things around, and get good again - that's when we hire a guy like Coach Q'... Okay then - the problem is a guy like Coach Q may not be available when this team turns things around.

On top of that - while I'm not too concerned about 'feelings' - what does that tell Blashill if he in fact does get this team heading into the right direction, and then he gets the boot because the mgt feels he's not good enough from that point forth?

If you're gonna replace a guy like Blashill for Coach Q - you do it right now, or you don't do it at all.

That's the narrative yourself and other fans rammed down our throats when Babs left. I'm just parroting it now. I would have thrown the bank at Babs to keep him in and Blash out, but the past is the past and now I'm stuck with Blash in here like ya'll wanted... And if he's half as good with young players as you all claimed he is, then he should stay through a rebuild. The kids ARE doing well IMO.

Q is a vastly overrated coach, someone like him is available almost every year. There's absolute zero need to upend our organization over him. But by all means continue the circle jerk over the Hawks sloppy seconds.

10 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Absolutely!

Coach Q might not be around (coaching) when this team turns things around. It'll be a few years before this team is truly ready to compete. Quenneville is 60 years old. There are only 4 coaches in the league older than Q (Tortorella - 60, Desjardins - 61, Carlyle - 62 and Boudreau - 63). What makes you think he would want to spend the twilight of his career coaching a young, rebuilding team? I think IF Quenneville decides to continue coaching, it'll be with a team he thinks he has a good chance to win with in the next few seasons. I doubt he would see that with the current iteration of the Red Wings.

I may be in the minority, but I have no interest in Quenneville coaching this team. Keep Blashill around for the remainder of this season, and see who's available this summer. Maybe IF Yzerman comes back to the organization, he would have someone in mind. It's not like there's a shortage of options that could be available... Darryl Sutter, Lindy Ruff, Dave Tippett, Dan Bylsma, Dallas Eakins, Sheldon Keefe, etc, etc...

5 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That's the narrative yourself and other fans rammed down our throats when Babs left. I'm just parroting it now. I would have thrown the bank at Babs to keep him in and Blash out, but the past is the past and now I'm stuck with Blash in here like ya'll wanted... And if he's half as good with young players as you all claimed he is, then he should stay through a rebuild. The kids ARE doing well IMO.

Q is a vastly overrated coach, someone like him is available almost every year. There's absolute zero need to upend our organization over him. But by all means continue the circle jerk over the Hawks sloppy seconds.

I honestly don't recall being one who clamored for Blashill taking over for Babs (but you're more than welcome to prove me wrong by scouring past threads from 3 plus years ago).

As for Coach Q being overrated - well that's just like your opinion man... 

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Coach Q might not be around (coaching) when this team turns things around. It'll be a few years before this team is truly ready to compete. Quenneville is 60 years old. There are only 4 coaches in the league older than Q (Tortorella - 60, Desjardins - 61, Carlyle - 62 and Boudreau - 63). What makes you think he would want to spend the twilight of his career coaching a young, rebuilding team? I think IF Quenneville decides to continue coaching, it'll be with a team he thinks he has a good chance to win with in the next few seasons. I doubt he would see that with the current iteration of the Red Wings.

I may be in the minority, but I have no interest in Quenneville coaching this team. Keep Blashill around for the remainder of this season, and see who's available this summer. Maybe IF Yzerman comes back to the organization, he would have someone in mind. It's not like there's a shortage of options that could be available... Darryl Sutter, Lindy Ruff, Dave Tippett, Dan Bylsma, Dallas Eakins, Sheldon Keefe, etc, etc...

I agree that the chance of Coach Q wanting to come to Detroit is pretty slim at best, but my point being is that there's nothing keeping Holland from picking up the phone, and if you REALLY want to improve the coaching staff Holland should do it now rather than 2, or 3 years from now when the team is going in the right direction.

If Blashill is still the coach in a few years, and the team is looking like a playoff contender - then I'd just assume keep him rather than cutting him loose.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Hire 60 year old coach, we move up a few spots in the standings and draft a few more mid-level 1st round players, he retires after 3 or 4 years and we're left in the same position we were when he was hired. Sounds fun. Lets do it.

Yzerman is probably taking over this team in a few years. The organization is already prepping us for it. I think there's a point to be made that Blash should remain in his position until Yzerman comes in. Then if Stevie wants to fire him and overhaul the staff he can.

7 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

I agree that the chance of Coach Q wanting to come to Detroit is pretty slim at best, but my point being is that there's nothing keeping Holland from picking up the phone, and if you REALLY want to improve the coaching staff Holland should do it now rather than 2, or 3 years from now when the team is going in the right direction.

If Blashill is still the coach in a few years, and the team is looking like a playoff contender - then I'd just assume keep him rather than cutting him loose.

I agree with this. IF Blashill is still the coach in a few years, and the team is looking like a playoff contender, then we should keep him around. Blash is still relatively young for an NHL coach, and has only been in the league a few seasons. Like young players, it takes time for coaches to develop as well. I've seen improvements in Blashill over the past few seasons.

It still pisses me off that he constantly shuffles lines in game, but his game to game line shuffling has decreased significantly in my opinion. Some of his player usage still pisses me off, but he does have limited options. Maybe when Larkin and Veleno develop into reliable two-way centers, that can dominate the circles, he won't be so reliant on Glendening.

The most important thing to me right now, like has been mentioned, is that we see growth out of the young players, and just about every one over the past year or two has met or exceeded expectations. That's Huge.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with this. IF Blashill is still the coach in a few years, and the team is looking like a playoff contender, then we should keep him around. Blash is still relatively young for an NHL coach, and has only been in the league a few seasons. Like young players, it takes time for coaches to develop as well. I've seen improvements in Blashill over the past few seasons.

It still pisses me off that he constantly shuffles lines in game, but his game to game line shuffling has decreased significantly in my opinion. Some of his player usage still pisses me off, but he does have limited options. Maybe when Larkin and Veleno develop into reliable two-way centers, that can dominate the circles, he won't be so reliant on Glendening.

The most important thing to me right now, like has been mentioned, is that we see growth out of the young players, and just about every one over the past year or two has met or exceeded expectations. That's Huge.

And that's what leaves me scratching my head as well...Last night having Abby taking part of the shootout left me :wacko:

15 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

And that's what leaves me scratching my head as well...Last night having Abby taking part of the shootout left me :wacko:

Operation LoseForHughes failed. I can't believe he put Larkin and Nyquist out there... Should have been Abdelkader, Glendening and DeKeyser...

On a more serious note, yeah, I was kind of pissed to see Abby out there as well, and then to see his sorry excuse of a "deke"... It's frustrating, but we still won the game, so it's whatever.

4 hours ago, F.Michael said:

THANK YOU

I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR YEARS

KIDS ARE 12 YEARS OLD

RED WINGS "KIDS" ARE NOT ACTUALLY KIDS

THEY'RE 18-23

SPREAD THE WORD, PEOPLE

I'd be especially interested in Quenneville because of the type of team he won with.  For years people have been saying you need to have "elite" talent at #1 defensemen and #1 center.  But the general consensus around here seems to be that Toews is a top line center, but not one of the top 5(ish) in the league during his peak years.  Same goes for Keith.  Hossa and Sharp were good supplemental pieces, but not go-to guys at that point.  Kane was really his only "elite" talent according to most. 

Sounds a lot like Larkin, Mantha, AA, Zadina, Cholo, Veleno, et. al.  Add an "elite" piece in this year's draft and our makeup isn't that far off from what Quenneville was winning with. 

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I'd be especially interested in Quenneville because of the type of team he won with.  For years people have been saying you need to have "elite" talent at #1 defensemen and #1 center.  But the general consensus around here seems to be that Toews is a top line center, but not one of the top 5(ish) in the league during his peak years.  Same goes for Keith.  Hossa and Sharp were good supplemental pieces, but not go-to guys at that point.  Kane was really his only "elite" talent according to most. 

Sounds a lot like Larkin, Mantha, AA, Zadina, Cholo, Veleno, et. al.  Add an "elite" piece in this year's draft and our makeup isn't that far off from what Quenneville was winning with. 

Keith wasn't elite? Two-time Norris winner, two-time NHL 1st-team all-star, second in defense scoring from 2010-15, Conn Smythe winner Duncan Keith? Over the course of their Cup era, he was the best in the league. Cholo has wet dreams about one day being worthy to hold Keith's jock strap.

Toews was better than he got credit for here, maybe not top-5 in the league, but arguably Zetterberg level. Larkin is maybe getting close, but not there yet. And we have no one remotely close to Kane. Nothing all that close to Sharp or Hossa for that matter. Or Seabrook. Or Crawford.

I'd love to have Q, because he has an awesome resume. But you're stretching.

3 hours ago, Buppy said:

Keith wasn't elite? Two-time Norris winner, two-time NHL 1st-team all-star, second in defense scoring from 2010-15, Conn Smythe winner Duncan Keith? Over the course of their Cup era, he was the best in the league. Cholo has wet dreams about one day being worthy to hold Keith's jock strap.

Toews was better than he got credit for here, maybe not top-5 in the league, but arguably Zetterberg level. Larkin is maybe getting close, but not there yet. And we have no one remotely close to Kane. Nothing all that close to Sharp or Hossa for that matter. Or Seabrook. Or Crawford.

I'd love to have Q, because he has an awesome resume. But you're stretching.

I was trying to set a snare for the LGW members who spent all that time talking trash about how either Quenneville, or the Hawks, weren't really all that good.  Because one or the other needs to be true.  You foiled it.  Thanks man.

Edited by kipwinger

4 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Again, a shoot out is not the same as scoring in a game????

So, don't give any love to players who were struggling and are starting to turn it around... who are scoring...and wear an "A"...over a meaningless point...for a rebuilding team...which might teach the kids that results equals rewards...and more opportunities...cuz we need 2 points...it was obviously about winning...nothing more...cuz Blashill can't coach...especially kids... where am i going with this...i don't know...

42 minutes ago, kylee said:

Amazing that a team that is 0.500 just fired their coach and we're over here with Blashill supposed to "trust the process" 

We would not be a .500 team with ANY coach. The talent just isn't there. Its not like this is a good team. Quenneville on the other hand, has way too much talent to be a .500 team. That's why he was fired.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie