• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

Another guy to watch is Alex Newhook.  He's playing in the BCHL and absolutely murdering it.  I've seen him projected in the 10-12 range because he's in a weaker league but scouting reports all seem to agree he's got dynamic offensive upside.  Might be a sleeper if we don't end up with a top pick. 

6 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Another guy to watch is Alex Newhook.  He's playing in the BCHL and absolutely murdering it.  I've seen him projected in the 10-12 range because he's in a weaker league but scouting reports all seem to agree he's got dynamic offensive upside.  Might be a sleeper if we don't end up with a top pick. 

He's definitely one that's caught my attention. (Mind you, I haven't seen him in person. Same for all but a few of these kids.) I vaguely remember him being in the top-five conversation for some people before the season started, so I'm somewhat surprised that he seems to have dropped back a bit. You could be right about the BCHL factor. I heard he didn't make the Hlinka Gretzky team, which probably has something to do with it as well.

I'd like to draft Newhook for the simple fact that he's a kid from my hometown and my cousin has been training him for the past several years. I met him a few years ago and my cousin was telling me "he's a hell of a hockey player", "definitely going to be an NHLer". I kind of scoffed and said, "you said the same thing about (James) Melindy" (drafted 88th overall by Phoenix in 2012, 24 years old and never played an NHL game, and likely never will). Never thought Newhook would actually be considered a potential top 10 NHL draft pick a few years later. IF we end up around the 8-12 range again, he's a player I'd love for us to target.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd like to draft Newhook for the simple fact that he's a kid from my hometown and my cousin has been training him for the past several years. I met him a few years ago and my cousin was telling me "he's a hell of a hockey player", "definitely going to be an NHLer". I kind of scoffed and said, "you said the same thing about (James) Melindy" (drafted 88th overall by Phoenix in 2012, 24 years old and never played an NHL game, and likely never will). Never thought Newhook would actually be considered a potential top 10 NHL draft pick a few years later. IF we end up around the 8-12 range again, he's a player I'd love for us to target.

We'll get a 1st for Nyquist, somewhere in the 22ish range, he'll drop to us and you'll have your wish!

5 hours ago, Dabura said:

Imagine a 2019-2020 Red Wings rookie class of Hughes/Kakko, Hronek, Veleno, Zadina.

1) Howard to the Blues for Allen, 2019 3rd, and 2021 1st.

2) Nyquist to Nashville for 2019 1st.

3) Green to Toronto for 2019 1st.

4) Dekeyser and Abdelkader to Ottawa for Mark Stone.

5) Nielsen and Helm to Buffalo for 2020 2nd and 2021 2nd.

6) Karlsson signed in UFA

Zadina (1) - Larkin (6) - Stone (9)

Athanasiou (3) - Cozens (1) - Mantha (4)

Bertuzzi (2) - Rasmussen (1) - Frk (1)

Svechnikov (1) - Veleno (1) - Glendening (2)

De La Rose (1)/Smith (1)

Karlsson (11) - Cholowski (1)

Hronek (1) - Sulak (1)

Saarijarvi (1) - McIsaac (1)

Witkowski (1)

Allen (4)

Bernier (3)

About 60 mil of cap.  

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

De La Rose (1)/Smith (1)

Hronek (1) - Sulak (1)

Witkowski (1)

Allen (4)

Bernier (3)

About 60 mil of cap.  

Pertaining to the draft, I do not think Green is going anywhere until next season. Howard and Nyquist are most likely the two that will be dealt.  It's been said that Pitt, Philly and St. Louis are three very interested teams when it comes to Howard. Nyquist controls his destination, so I'm sure he would only waive his NTC to go to a legit contender, so Nashville could be quite a possibility, BUT they have ZERO prospects that interest me, nor even any recent unsigned draft picks. They'd have to reward me handsomely with TWO 1st's (2019 and 2020) if they wanted to pry Nyquist from me. Then again, Nyquist controls his destination, so if he'd only waive for Nashville, then they'd have the upper hand.

Pit didn't have a 1st last draft and they lack a 3rd this draft, it may be hard to get their 1st for this draft, but I'd take the 2020 1st along with Calen Addison for Howard and our 3rd this draft.  Nyquist should get us a 1st from any of the contenders that have one to give. Buffalo has potentially THREE 1sts this draft,so they could easily give one up for a player like Nyquist, having so many they could even sweetin the pot up a bit more in order to outbid others plus they are inner-division. Maybe a 1st and Mattias Samuelsson.

The rest of your scenario there is for another thread. But real quick, I don't see Helm, Abby nor DK being dealt. Not even when Yzerman takes over. Not unless there is an offer we cannot refuse. But, I am also pretty sure they aren't going to waive their NTC's to go to Ottawa.

Here is my what I'd like to see:

to PIT : Howard, 2019 3rd

to DET : 2020 1st, Calen Addison

then

to BUF : Gus Nyquist

to DET : 2019 1st, Mattias Samuelsson

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Nyquist controls his destination, so I'm sure he would only waive his NTC to go to a legit contender, so Nashville could be quite a possibility, BUT they have ZERO prospects that interest me, nor even any recent unsigned draft picks. They'd have to reward me handsomely with TWO 1st's (2019 and 2020) if they wanted to pry Nyquist from me. Then again, Nyquist controls his destination, so if he'd only waive for Nashville, then they'd have the upper hand.

to BUF : Gus Nyquist

to DET : 2019 1st, Mattias Samuelsson

You have ZERO interest in Dante Fabbro? He'd instantly be our top defense prospect. We'd finally have 4 quality young defensemen in the system with top 4 potential (Cholowski, Fabbro, McIsaac, Hronek), 2 lefties, 2 righties. If we're trading Nyquist, Nashville is the team I'd like to trade him to, for that exact reason. The Preds have plenty of defensive depth and the Wings could really use a guy like Fabbro.

How is it that Nyquist can "suck" for years as a Red Wing, but now that he could potentially be traded, he's worth TWO 1st round picks or a 1st and a top prospect? I think we should trade Nyquist for sure, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment if that's the sort of return you're expecting. A late 1st is probably best case scenario, and I'd be happy with that.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

De La Rose (1)/Smith (1)

Hronek (1) - Sulak (1)

Witkowski (1)

Allen (4)

Bernier (3)

About 60 mil of cap.  

You're kidding right? Like DeKeyser or Abdelkader would ever waive for Ottawa. Love your sarcasm there any ways.

16 minutes ago, HoweFan said:

If we draft in the 10th position or so who do you take among Turcotte, Lavoie, Suzuki, Broberg, or Newhook? Or someone else?

If all those players are available at 10, I trade back. :sly:

No, but srsly. I still don't know a whole lot about these players, but my rough impression is that there isn't any real separation between them right now. Seems like it's Hughes > Kakko > Dach, Cozens > [everyone else]. And, as always, selecting from the [everyone else] pool is gonna be a crapshoot.

That being said...I'm currently liking Krebs, Newhook, and Lavoie. If you put a gun to my head right now, I probably go with Krebs.

Seems like Broberg is throwing up red flags, mainly a lack of puck skill and limited scoring upside. Defensemen are such voodoo that I'm not taking one with our first pick unless I'm really sold on him. From what I've gathered thus far, I'm not going to be sold on Broberg. Not at 10th overall.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

If all those players are available at 10, I trade back. :sly:

No, but srsly. I still don't know a whole lot about these players, but my rough impression is that there isn't any real separation between them right now. Seems like it's Hughes > Kakko > Dach, Cozens > [everyone else]. And, as always, selecting from the [everyone else] pool is gonna be a crapshoot.

That being said...I'm currently liking Krebs, Newhook, and Lavoie. If you put a gun to my head right now, I probably go with Krebs.

Seems like Broberg is throwing up red flags, mainly a lack of puck skill and limited scoring upside. Defensemen are such voodoo that I'm not taking one with our first pick unless I'm really sold on him. From what I've gathered thus far, I'm not going to be sold on Broberg. Not at 10th overall.

Note: When I say there doesn't appear to be any real separation, I'm talking about the pool of players who fall outside the current consensus top names (those top names being Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Byram, maybe a couple others).

Note #2: This is a deep draft class, that much is clear.

Edited by Dabura

On 12/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, HoweFan said:

If we draft in the 10th position or so who do you take among Turcotte, Lavoie, Suzuki, Broberg, or Newhook? Or someone else?

Suzuki's don't belong in Detroit!

'MURICA!

On a more serious note...If the Wings continue playing the way they are, and others keep screwing up...We might find ourselves in the playoffs :huh:

I'm hoping that's not the case...

Edited by F.Michael

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Jack Hughes or Dylan Cozens with our first pick.

Kaedan Korczak with the pick acquired in the Nyquist trade.

Only if Larkin breaks his leg before Christmas. That little punk is almost single-handedly screwing us out of a top 5 pick. 

13 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Only if Larkin breaks his leg before Christmas. That little punk is almost single-handedly screwing us out of a top 5 pick. 

No way. We're finishing just outside the playoffs and winning the draft lottery (one of the top 3 picks), ala Philly 2 years ago and Carolina last year. Opposing fans are going to be so pissed. It'll be great!

38 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

No way. We're finishing just outside the playoffs and winning the draft lottery (one of the top 3 picks), ala Philly 2 years ago and Carolina last year. Opposing fans are going to be so pissed. It'll be great!

Hope is not a strategy :lol:

My boy Alex Newhook is tumbling down a lot of draft boards for no discernable reason.  He's tearing up the BCHL and has looked good so far at Canada's World Junior Camp.    Yet Craig Button currently has him sitting at 22, while Sportanet has him at 15.  We're really going to need another first rounder this year.

Edited by kipwinger

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

My boy Alex Newhook is tumbling down a lot of draft boards for no discernable reason.  He's tearing up the BCHL and has looked good so far at Canada's World Junior Camp.    Yet Craig Button currently has him sitting at 22, while Sportanet has him at 15.  We're really going to need another first rounder this year.

3 gets us Hughes, Broberg and your boy.