• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

On 1/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, AtlantaHotWings said:

Chicago is 2 points behind us and same number of games played. Seems captain serious is doing well leading his team in tank mode

Worst case now is we pick 5th so who would the panel choose? 

On 1/19/2019 at 6:02 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

BPA

Here's where I'm at.

TIER 1 - Best player in the draft

Jack Hughes (C)

TIER 2 - Second-best player in the draft

Kaapo Kakko (W)

TIER 3 - Players I would happily select 3rd overall (if I'm the Wings)

In first-name alphabetical order:

TIER 4 - Some players I would happily select if no TIER 3 player is available (if I'm the Wings)

tl;dr If I'm not getting Hughes or Kakko, I'm probably looking to trade back. Or I take Peyton Krebs, who I absolutely love.

I find it somewhat surprising that we are dead last. Everyone knew we weren’t going to have a good team but I think  overall we have played pretty well this year. There were two early blowouts in the first seven games when we went 0-5-2 by the Bruins and Canadiens. Since then we have been close in every single game even against the upper eschelon teams. All of our younger guys are scoring and we seem to have found a couple of good rookie defensemen. Our prospect pool seems good at forward and defense. Even 3 or 4 of our junior goalies are having stellar seasons.  A good draft this year and we will looking pretty well I think

On 1/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, Dabura said:

Here's where I'm at.

TIER 1 - Best player in the draft

Jack Hughes (C)

TIER 2 - Second-best player in the draft

Kaapo Kakko (W)

TIER 3 - Players I would happily select 3rd overall (if I'm the Wings)

In first-name alphabetical order:

TIER 4 - Some players I would happily select if no TIER 3 player is available (if I'm the Wings)

tl;dr If I'm not getting Hughes or Kakko, I'm probably looking to trade back. Or I take Peyton Krebs, who I absolutely love.

Vasili Podkolzin will be drafted in the top 5.

10 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Thought this deserved a mention here.  

https://www.nhl.com/news/jack-hughes-kaapo-kakko-top-central-scouting-midterm-rankings-for-2019-nhl-draft/c-304024912

US people think Hughes #1 European folks think Kakko #1..Me I would be happy with anyone in the top 5 that can help us. 

Hughes is #1 on the NA list. Kakko is #1 on the International list. They are not combined/comprehensive rankings. 

I've flip flopped yet again on this draft.  At this point, if I'm the Red Wings and I don't have the top two picks (assuming that's Hughes and Kakko), I'm taking Trevor Zegras in the top five.  He projects as a center at the NHL level and by all accounts he's the most offensive dynamic center outside of Hughes. 

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I've flip flopped yet again on this draft.  At this point, if I'm the Red Wings and I don't have the top two picks (assuming that's Hughes and Kakko), I'm taking Trevor Zegras in the top five.  He projects as a center at the NHL level and by all accounts he's the most offensive dynamic center outside of Hughes. 

Despite my back-and-forth with you earlier, I think trading back could be a really smart play here, as long as we're not passing on Hughes or Kakko.

I agree with most people that there's a drop-off after Kakko and that there isn't much separation between the next [however many] players. If you ask ten different people for their 3-10 rankings, you're going to get ten different orders. Zegras, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Krebs, Podkolzin, et al. -- lots of good forwards all on roughly the same level, at least two or three of whom should become centermen at the NHL level. In terms of defensemen, Byram's really growing on me. Seems to have all the tools needed to become a really good defenseman in today's league.

I feel like this draft, more than most drafts, is one where a basement team would really, really like to have two 1sts. Ideally, the second 1st is a mid-rounder, but I think you could see some really good players slide to the back of the 1st round, so even a late 1st could be huge.

That being said, f*** the Avs. They've gotta be licking their lips right now. I hate it.

8 minutes ago, Dabura said:

mods plz ban

In all seriousness the only two prospects in the top 10 that I have concerns regarding are Dach and Broberg. Dach seems limited in today’s NHL (not a great skater, limited offense) and there are concerns offensively with Broberg as well. 

3 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

In all seriousness the only two prospects in the top 10 that I have concerns regarding are Dach and Broberg. Dach seems limited in today’s NHL (not a great skater, limited offense) and there are concerns offensively with Broberg as well. 

Yeah, I'm kind of on the fence about Dach. There's a lot to like about him and I could see him becoming a Getzlaf-tier playmaking center with crazy-soft hands and great vision, but, at the same time, I could easily see him not really amounting to much. The skating isn't an issue if you're sold on his playmaking and his ability to slow down the game. If you're not totally sold? Then I probably wouldn't take him in the top five. He might end up sliding outside of the top ten altogether.

Seems like Broberg would be a project. Great size, fantastic skating, but his puck skills are lacking.

20 hours ago, Dabura said:

Despite my back-and-forth with you earlier, I think trading back could be a really smart play here, as long as we're not passing on Hughes or Kakko.

I agree with most people that there's a drop-off after Kakko and that there isn't much separation between the next [however many] players. If you ask ten different people for their 3-10 rankings, you're going to get ten different orders. Zegras, Cozens, Dach, Turcotte, Krebs, Podkolzin, et al. -- lots of good forwards all on roughly the same level, at least two or three of whom should become centermen at the NHL level. In terms of defensemen, Byram's really growing on me. Seems to have all the tools needed to become a really good defenseman in today's league.

I feel like this draft, more than most drafts, is one where a basement team would really, really like to have two 1sts. Ideally, the second 1st is a mid-rounder, but I think you could see some really good players slide to the back of the 1st round, so even a late 1st could be huge.

That being said, f*** the Avs. They've gotta be licking their lips right now. I hate it.

This is kinda my thing with Zegras though, the more I read about the kid the more I think he's a really top level prospect who isn't getting noticed because of the team he's on.  I also don't really put too much stock in "tier" because they're so often wrong.  In 2017, for instance, it was a two horse race between Hischier and Patrick and everyone else was considered a "tier" below.  We now know that Pettersson and Heiskanen are definitively NOT a tier below.  Some of what I've read seems to suggest Zegras could be another Pettersson.  Yes please. 

20 hours ago, Dabura said:

Imagine if those motherf***ers finish 12 - 14th and win the lottery AND have Ottawa's top 5 pick as well. Imagine them coming out of this draft with Hughes and Podkolzin.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ck

16 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

This is kinda my thing with Zegras though, the more I read about the kid the more I think he's a really top level prospect who isn't getting noticed because of the team he's on.  I also don't really put too much stock in "tier" because they're so often wrong.  In 2017, for instance, it was a two horse race between Hischier and Patrick and everyone else was considered a "tier" below.  We now know that Pettersson and Heiskanen are definitively NOT a tier below.  Some of what I've read seems to suggest Zegras could be another Pettersson.  Yes please. 

I don't put too much stock in "tiers," but, like I've said before, I do feel Hughes and Kakko are far and away your best shots at getting a gamechanger. Putting people into tiers is just a convention for expressing the idea that you think certain players are more likely to be special players.

I like Zegras a lot and some days I feel he's the third-best player in this draft class. I think it's entirely possible he becomes a really great player...and I also think it's entirely possibly he becomes merely a good player.

Can't blame you or anyone for looking for the next Pettersson. And I'd be lying if I said it's not something I think about. It's one of the reasons I love Krebs: I see some Zetterberg in him and, in my mind, I can imagine him flying under the radar (he's playing on a bad team, which is hurting his numbers) and then taking the NHL by storm.

8 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Imagine if those motherf***ers finish 12 - 14th and win the lottery AND have Ottawa's top 5 pick as well. Imagine them coming out of this draft with Hughes and Podkolzin.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ck

:censored:

Edited by Dabura

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I don't put too much stock in "tiers," but, like I've said before, I do feel Hughes and Kakko are far and away your best shots at getting a gamechanger. Putting people into tiers is just a convention for expressing the idea that you think certain players are more likely to be special players.

I like Zegras a lot and some days I feel he's the third best player in this draft class. I think it's entirely possible he becomes a really great player...and I also think it's entirely possibly he becomes a merely-good player.

Can't blame you or anyone for looking for the next Pettersson. And I'd be lying if I said it's not something I think about. It's one of the reasons I love Krebs: I see some Zetterberg in him and, in my mind, I can imagine him flying under the radar (he's playing on a bad team, which is hurting his numbers) and then taking the NHL by storm.

I like Krebs a lot too.  I was actually thinking about player comparisons for him, and coming up with nothing but I think Zetterberg is a good one.  Krebs seems to have really good skill, but he's also super fiesty. Zetterberg definitely had that to his game.  I'd be happy with Krebs for sure but I'm still leaning toward Zegras just because of that pure offensive upside.  He's got something like 10 fewer points that Hughes (and was actually even with Hughes until after the WJC tourney) and plays on the second line.  Pretty impressive stuff.  Reading people raving about how good he is on the powerplay as well. 

29 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I like Krebs a lot too.  I was actually thinking about player comparisons for him, and coming up with nothing but I think Zetterberg is a good one.  Krebs seems to have really good skill, but he's also super fiesty. Zetterberg definitely had that to his game.  I'd be happy with Krebs for sure but I'm still leaning toward Zegras just because of that pure offensive upside.  He's got something like 10 fewer points that Hughes (and was actually even with Hughes until after the WJC tourney) and plays on the second line.  Pretty impressive stuff.  Reading people raving about how good he is on the powerplay as well. 

How's this for rosterbation material:

>Wings get Zegras in the top five
>Wings then get Krebs in the 12-15 range with an additional 1st that Holland pulled out of his magic hat or something
>Wings still have, like, eight picks left

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

(Won't happen. But a man can dream.)

I just saw that the Oilers said they aren't trading their 1st this year, which bums me out because I was hoping they would give a 1st for Nyquist in the hopes of not wasting another year of McDavid's life and then they'd miss the playoffs anyway.  Oh well.  I'm still holding out hope that we'll get another 1st rounder somehow though.  Doubt it will be high enough to get Krebs AND Zegras, but maybe Krebs OR Zegras plus Newhook.  A boy can dream.

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I just saw that the Oilers said they aren't trading their 1st this year, which bums me out because I was hoping they would give a 1st for Nyquist in the hopes of not wasting another year of McDavid's life and then they'd miss the playoffs anyway.  Oh well.  I'm still holding out hope that we'll get another 1st rounder somehow though.  Doubt it will be high enough to get Krebs AND Zegras, but maybe Krebs OR Zegras plus Newhook.  A boy can dream.

Pipe dream HYPE!!!

32 minutes ago, Dabura said:

How's this for rosterbation material:

>Wings get Zegras in the top five
>Wings then get Krebs in the 12-15 range with an additional 1st that Holland pulled out of his magic hat or something
>Wings still have, like, eight picks left

(Won't happen. But a man can dream.)

... and use all eight picks on left-handed forwards. Give us ALL the Lefties!!!

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Hopefully we acquire another 1st round pick at the deadline for Nyquist. There are a ton of talented forwards projected to go in the middle of the 1st, and I'm sure one of them (hopefully Newhook) could drop to us again. Leason is a player I've been keeping a close eye on. I'm not sure if I'd use a 1st round pick on him, but if he slides, I'd use one of our two (maybe more) 2nd round picks. Outside of Byram and York, there aren't really any defensemen that excite me...