• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Hopefully we acquire another 1st round pick at the deadline for Nyquist. There are a ton of talented forwards projected to go in the middle of the 1st, and I'm sure one of them (hopefully Newhook) could drop to us again. Leason is a player I've been keeping a close eye on. I'm not sure if I'd use a 1st round pick on him, but if he slides, I'd use one of our two (maybe more) 2nd round picks. Outside of Byram and York, there aren't really any defensemen that excite me...

Im with you I hope we can land a first for Nyquist and hopefully pull off some fluke by getting the leafs first for some pieces , maybe another 2nd would be nice .... think if we can land a few top d’s with upside we can turn this team a lot faster than some experts might believe

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-draft-profile-rhd-victor-soderstrom/

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/349467/philip-broberg

id love to get one of them with another 1st if we’re lucky 

other guys I got my eyes on for later 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/369942/drew-helleson

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/398168/pavel-dorofeyev

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/395520/marcus-kallionkieli

https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-draft-profile-rw-c-ryder-donovan/

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/450909/yegor-afanasyev

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/373899/john-beecher

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

16 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Im with you I hope we can land a first for Nyquist and hopefully pull off some fluke by getting the leafs first for some pieces , maybe another 2nd would be nice .... think if we can land a few top d’s with upside we can turn this team a lot faster than some experts might believe

id love to get one of them with another 1st if we’re lucky 

other guys I got my eyes on for later 

Broberg is projected to go in the top 10, and if I'm picking there, he wouldn't be my pick. If he drops to our hypothetical second 1st round pick, sure I'd take him. Soderstrom would also be a good pick around there. Helleson would be a good pick with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks. Another player I'd consider with one of those picks is Graeme Clark. As for the rest of the guys you mentioned, I don't know much about any of them yet...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Broberg is projected to go in the top 10, and if I'm picking there, he wouldn't be my pick. If he drops to our hypothetical second 1st round pick, sure I'd take him. Soderstrom would also be a good pick around there. Helleson would be a good pick with one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks. Another player I'd consider with one of those picks is Graeme Clark. As for the rest of the guys you mentioned, I don't know much about any of them yet...

I’ll check into Clark .... ya I just like to look around and read articles and get info on guys and the. Check on YouTube for videos and see clips , same like I did for branstromm ,carlsson,lauko etc... only way to get our info since we’re sadly not real scouts haha ,but ya I’ll check into Clark for sure and I’m sure your aware since it says your from canada tsn has bob mckenzies draft rankings in an hour so should be a cool watch

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Hopefully we acquire another 1st round pick at the deadline for Nyquist. There are a ton of talented forwards projected to go in the middle of the 1st, and I'm sure one of them (hopefully Newhook) could drop to us again. Leason is a player I've been keeping a close eye on. I'm not sure if I'd use a 1st round pick on him, but if he slides, I'd use one of our two (maybe more) 2nd round picks. Outside of Byram and York, there aren't really any defensemen that excite me...

Absolutely agree about getting another 1st. Early-mid 2nds could also be huge. I'm really feeling like this could be a "quantity over quality" draft where the smartest GM on the draft floor could be the one who owns a pick in the 3-10 range and doesn't feel he needs to pick in that range. That's sort of what I was getting at when I listed eight players I'd happily take 3rd overall. If I own the #3 pick, I'm probably looking to see if I can't find a trade-down deal that gets me a later 1st -- let's say #9 -- and a pick or two, or maybe a good prospect.

I'm also with you on this draft class being short on exciting defensemen. ...And yet, if we come away with Byram/Broberg and a guy like Mikko Kokkonen or Thomas Harley? Then all of a sudden I feel pretty damn good about the future of our D.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Absolutely agree about getting another 1st. Early-mid 2nds could also be huge. I'm really feeling like this could be a "quantity over quality" draft where the smartest GM on the draft floor could be the one who owns a pick in the 3-10 range and doesn't feel he needs to pick in that range. That's sort of what I was getting at when I listed eight players I'd happily take 3rd overall. If I own the #3 pick, I'm probably looking to see if I can't find a trade-down deal that gets me a later 1st -- let's say #9 -- and a pick or two, or maybe a good prospect.

I'm also with you on this draft class being short on exciting defensemen. ...And yet, if we come away with Byram/Broberg and a guy like Mikko Kokkonen or Thomas Harley? Then all of a sudden I feel pretty damn good about the future of our D.

I'm really high on Cozens, so I'd take him at 3, but at 4, I'd definitely be okay with a trade back. Cozens is an elite skater, probably the best in the draft, which is huge in today's game.

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Better skater than Hughes?

Different strengths, I suppose. Cozens is an elite skater in the way AA is an elite skater -- effortless power in his long strides, great acceleration, great straight-line speed, great top speed. With Hughes, it's more about edges, agility, quickness, elusiveness. Hughes skates like he's floating on air. It's crazy.

I timestampted the following videos so when you click on them they'll start at the skating sections:

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Different strengths, I suppose. Cozens is an elite skater in the way AA is an elite skater -- effortless power in his long strides, great acceleration, great straight-line speed, great top speed. With Hughes, it's more about edges, agility, quickness, elusiveness. Hughes skates like he's floating on air. It's crazy.

I timestampted the following videos so when you click on them they'll start at the skating sections:

Cozens looks like he could become a great player.  I would be ok snagging him.

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Cozens looks like he could become a great player.  I would be ok snagging him.

Pretty hard to deny his appeal. Big body, shoots right, lethal shot, great speed, plays a new-age power-forward game -- basically, a Wings fan's dream. I'm not sure he's going to be a centerman at the NHL level, but even if he isn't, there's so much potential there.

The only concern I have with him is that the advantages he has over his peers -- the size, the speed, the shot -- are making life easy for him at the junior level and probably inflating his numbers a bit. At the pro level, he won't be bigger and stronger and faster than everyone. I don't feel he's got especially good hockey IQ and I don't feel he's an especially great playmaker, so there's a part of me that worries he could be another Athanasiou.

But, I mean, I have concerns with every player not named Hughes or Kakko, so don't take this as me trying to kill the Cozens HYPE!

58 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Pretty hard to deny his appeal. Big body, shoots right, lethal shot, great speed, plays a new-age power-forward game -- basically, a Wings fan's dream. I'm not sure he's going to be a centerman at the NHL level, but even if he isn't, there's so much potential there.

The only concern I have with him is that the advantages he has over his peers -- the size, the speed, the shot -- are making life easy for him at the junior level and probably inflating his numbers a bit. At the pro level, he won't be bigger and stronger and faster than everyone. I don't feel he's got especially good hockey IQ and I don't feel he's an especially great playmaker, so there's a part of me that worries he could be another Athanasiou.

But, I mean, I have concerns with every player not named Hughes or Kakko, so don't take this as me trying to kill the Cozens HYPE!

What's weird is that I don't really get that excited watching Hughes deke team Afghanistan defenders in all his games.  I'd like to see him up against some of the OHL 17 and 18 year olds in the smaller rink.  

28 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

What's weird is that I don't really get that excited watching Hughes deke team Afghanistan defenders in all his games.  I'd like to see him up against some of the OHL 17 and 18 year olds in the smaller rink.  

Rest assured: he's played against pretty much everyone there is to play against and he's consistently produced and impressed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/jack-hughes-nhl-draft-2019-world-junior-championship/nt8oxhtf6zns11k4dlrwokofu

However, unlike previous editions of the NTDP, Hughes’ team has had to overcome a significant shift in scheduling that pitted them against the toughest NCAA schedule the program has ever seen. Playing “exhibition” games against mature collegiate competition has been an annual rite of passage for the under-18 program, but the current squad has faced a record 16 Division I opponents, including three of last year’s Frozen Four finalists and nine who in 2018-19 were ranked in the top 20 at least once. They already beat both Notre Dame and Michigan early in the season and will face No. 4 Minnesota-Duluth on Jan. 5.

Team USA’s diverse schedule also includes most of the USHL’s regular season and three international tournaments against the world’s top under-18 prospects. In November, Hughes appeared on a mission at the U18 Five Nations Tournament in the Czech Republic, torching some of the best teenagers on the planet to a tune of six goals and 10 assists in four games. He recorded at least four points in each of his first three contests en route to a clean sweep of the competition.

To put the opposition Hughes has faced into context, consider the significant difference in the age between the NCAA and the Ontario Hockey League — the largest supplier of NHL talent. Players in the OHL, much like the USHL, range from 16 to 21, and the league-wide average per player is just over 18 years of age.

On the other hand, the average collegiate hockey player is over 22 years old, with some as old as 25. That’s not to say that playing NCAA hockey over Canadian major junior is a benefit to ensure success at the NHL level (it most certainly is not). However, the fact that Hughes has played (and produced at an elite level) against both physically-mature opponents and same-age peers, plus the shrinking of your standard NHL rookie, should end any debate as to whether or not Hughes will be able to handle the physical demands inherent in an NHL job.

Hughes unanimous No. 1 in look at first round of 2019 Draft [NHL.com]

6. Detroit Red Wings

Kimelman -- Philip Broberg, D, AIK (SWE-2): The Red Wings were ready to take a defenseman high at the 2018 draft, but there were better forwards available. They won't have that issue this year. Broberg (6-3, 199) is an elite skater and puck-mover gaining valuable experience playing against men in Sweden's second division.

Morreale -- Dach, C: A right-handed center with Dach's size, strength, playmaking ability and maturity doesn't come around very often. He leads Saskatoon with 51 points (18 goals, 33 assists) in 44 games, and is a legitimate offensive threat each time he has the puck.

Lepage -- Cozens, C: Thanks to his excellent vision on the ice and strong skating ability, Cozens can generate scoring chances in machine-like fashion. The Red Wings could have a formidable pair up front with him and forward Filip Zadina, the No. 6 pick of the 2018 NHL Draft.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Unanimous top 3 amongst these three apparently...

1. Hughes, 2. Kakko, 3. Podkolzin

Any idea where Kakko and Podkolzin would stack up against Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi?

I think Kakko could be a lock at 2, but I'm not as sold on Podkolzin. From what I've heard / read, he has all the raw skill / talent, but lacks hockey sense. That's the exact type of player I'm looking to take in the mid to later rounds, not in the top 5. Hockey sense is so vital in today's game, and only having the raw tools could end up being another Yakupov...

If we don't land Hughes, I'm still hoping we take Cozens. Even if we're picking at 2, I'd strongly consider trading back.

Cozens has great hockey sense, strong two-way game, is an elite skater, good puck handler, and passer, and has a decent shot. He lacks strength and needs to fill out that big frame, but when he does (and he will), I think he could be a force, similar to prime Getzlaf.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Unanimous top 3 amongst these three apparently...

1. Hughes, 2. Kakko, 3. Podkolzin

Any idea where Kakko and Podkolzin would stack up against Svechnikov and Kotkaniemi?

I think Kakko could be a lock at 2, but I'm not as sold on Podkolzin. From what I've heard / read, he has all the raw skill / talent, but lacks hockey sense. That's the exact type of player I'm looking to take in the mid to later rounds, not in the top 5. Hockey sense is so vital in today's game, and only having the raw tools could end up being another Yakupov...

If we don't land Hughes, I'm still hoping we take Cozens. Even if we're picking at 2, I'd strongly consider trading back.

Cozens has great hockey sense, strong two-way game, is an elite skater, good puck handler, and passer, and has a decent shot. He lacks strength and needs to fill out that big frame, but when he does (and he will), I think he could be a force, similar to prime Getzlaf.

Personally, I'm 100% sold on Kakko being THE #2 guy.

One of the key reasons Kotkaniemi was so attractive is that he performed well against men in the Finnish Elite League (SM-liiga, "Liiga" for short), the top Finnish pro league. Another key reason: he stood out at the WJC.

• 10 goals and 29 points through 57 Liiga games (2017-18)
  • 3 goals and 9 points through 7 WJC games (2018)

Remember all the HYPE! surrounding Patrick Laine? Same deal:

• 17 goals and 33 points through 46 Liiga games (2015-16)
  • 7 goals and 13 points through 7 WJC games (2016)

Jesse Puljujarvi:

• 13 goals and 28 points through 50 Liiga games (2015-16)
  • 5 goals and 17 points through 7 WJC games (2016)

Mikko Rantanen:

• 9 goals and 28 points through 56 Liiga games (2014-15)
  • 2 goals and 5 points through 7 WJC games (2015)

Aleksander Barkov:

• 21 goals and 48 points through 53 Liiga games (2012-13)
  • 3 goals and 7 points through 6 WJC games (2013)

Mikael Granlund:

• 13 goals and 40 points through 43 Liiga games (2009-10)
  • 1 goal and 7 points through 6 WJC games (2010)

So that gives us some perspective. If you're surpassing or even merely flirting with 30 points in the Liiga as a 17-18 year old and your name isn't Jesse Puljujarvi, your floor is probably high and your ceiling is wayyy up there. (Barkov is arguably the best two-way pivot in the NHL. Laine, Rantanen, and Granlund are big-time scorers.)

That being said, here are Kakko's numbers:

• 11 goals and 22 points through 29 Liiga games (2018-19)
  • 2 goals and 5 points through 7 WJC games (2019)

My thoughts on Kakko, beyond just the production? I think he's pretty close to perfect. He's elite in nearly every meaningful category and he doesn't have any meaningful shortcomings. He's the Platonic ideal of the modern-day power-forward made flesh. The total package. If Jack Hughes is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers, Kakko is crushing everyone at checkers.

Is he better than Kotkaniemi was at this time last year? I think so, yes. Kotkaniemi is maybe more valuable because he's a centerman's center (Kakko's a natural winger who plays center sometimes). Beyond that, I think Kakko has him beat in pretty much every way. The biggest thing is the skating; Kakko is an outstanding skater, which gives him a dimension that Kotkaniemi lacks. If Kotkaniemi skated like Kakko, Kotkaniemi might've been drafted 2nd overall.

I'd say Kakko is more similar to Svechnikov; they're both ultra-projectable all-around scoring wingers. I think Kakko is a little more tantalizing than Svechnikov was at this time last year, as Kakko is excelling in a tough pro league (Svechnikov was dominating the OHL) and Kakko arguably delivered the more impressive WJC performance (Svechnikov registered no goals and 5 assists through 5 games at the 2018 tournament).

tl;dr Kaapo Kakko is the real deal.

I'll follow this up with some thoughts on Podkolzin and Cozens. Have to head out for a bit.

Edited by Dabura

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

Personally, I'm 100% sold on Kakko being THE #2 guy.

One of the key reasons Kotkaniemi was so attractive is that he performed well against men in the Finnish Elite League (SM-liiga, "Liiga" for short), the top Finnish pro league. Another key reason: he stood out at the WJC.

• 10 goals and 29 points through 57 Liiga games (2017-18)
  • 3 goals and 9 points through 7 WJC games (2018)

Remember all the HYPE! surrounding Patrick Laine? Same deal:

• 17 goals and 33 points through 46 Liiga games (2015-16)
  • 7 goals and 13 points through 7 WJC games (2016)

Jesse Puljujarvi:

• 13 goals and 28 points through 50 Liiga games (2015-16)
  • 5 goals and 17 points through 7 WJC games (2016)

Mikko Rantanen:

• 9 goals and 28 points through 56 Liiga games (2014-15)
  • 2 goals and 5 points through 7 WJC games (2015)

Aleksander Barkov:

• 21 goals and 48 points through 53 Liiga games (2012-13)
  • 3 goals and 7 points through 6 WJC games (2013)

Mikael Granlund:

• 13 goals and 40 points through 43 Liiga games (2009-10)
  • 1 goal and 7 points through 6 WJC games (2010)

So that gives us some perspective. If you're surpassing or even merely flirting with 30 points in the Liiga as a 17-18 year old and your name isn't Jesse Puljujarvi, your floor is probably high and your ceiling is wayyy up there. (Barkov is arguably the best two-way pivot in the NHL. Laine, Rantanen, and Granlund are big-time scorers.)

That being said, here are Kakko's numbers:

• 11 goals and 22 points through 29 Liiga games (2018-19)
  • 2 goals and 5 points through 7 WJC games (2019)

My thoughts on Kakko, beyond just the production? I think he's pretty close to perfect. He's elite in nearly every meaningful category and he doesn't have any meaningful shortcomings. He's the Platonic ideal of the modern-day power-forward made flesh. The total package. If Jack Hughes is playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers, Kakko is crushing everyone at checkers.

Is he better than Kotkaniemi was at this time last year? I think so, yes. Kotkaniemi is maybe more valuable because he's a centerman's center (Kakko's a natural winger who plays center sometimes). Beyond that, I think Kakko has him beat in pretty much every way. The biggest thing is the skating; Kakko is an outstanding skater, which gives him a dimension that Kotkaniemi lacks. If Kotkaniemi skated like Kakko, Kotkaniemi might've been drafted 2nd overall.

I'd say Kakko is more similar to Svechnikov; they're both ultra-projectable all-around scoring wingers. I think Kakko is a little more tantalizing than Svechnikov was at this time last year, as Kakko is excelling in a tough pro league (Svechnikov was dominating the OHL) and Kakko arguably delivered the more impressive WJC performance (Svechnikov registered no goals and 5 assists through 5 games at the 2018 tournament).

tl;dr Kaapo Kakko is the real deal.

I'll follow this up with some thoughts on Podkolzin and Cozens. Have to head out for a bit.

Dabura's Corner, brought to you by Miller High Life.

Sorry for the delay. Real life has been hectic this week. BUT IT'S OK NOW! I'M BACK TO SATIATE YOUR RAVENOUS HUNGER FOR HACKFRAUD AMATEUR SCOUTING REPORTS! yayyyy

I think I'ma devote full posts to single players. Last time it was Kakko, this time it's Podkolzin, next time it'll be Cozens, and so on.

Right. So. Vasili Podkolzin.

It's fair to say Podkolzin has emerged as the midseason consensus #3...

• Bob Mckenzie ranks him third, based on a ten-scout survey
  • Craig Button ranks him third
  • Adam Kimelman, Mike G. Morreale, and Guillaume Lepage rank him third (or they simply believe the Kings should take him if they get the #3 pick)
  • Central Scouting ranks him second among international skaters, behind only Kakko

Do I think this level of HYPE! is justified? I don't think there's truly a clear-cut #3 guy at this point in time, so, in that sense, I would say the Podkolzin HYPE! is a bit much. I think he'd be a good pick at 3rd overall. I just don't feel he, or anyone else, should be considered THE #3 guy right now.

But make no mistake: there's a whole lot to love about Podkolzin.

Like Kakko, he's an all-around scoring winger with enormous upside. Lethal shooter from as far out as the tops of the circles, like Zadina. Willing to get dirty and crash the net, like Bertuzzi. Sophisticated, deliberate playmaker, like Larkin. Has a motor that's always going at 100%, like Larkin. Is a natural leader who leads by example, like Larkin. Plays in all situations and is leaned on in critical moments, like Larkin. Is committed to being a good all-around player, like Larkin. Ultra-competitive, will put everything he has into getting the job done, like Larkin. Very strong on his skates, like Larkin. Heavy on the puck and knows how to "lean on" guys in a checking context, like Zetterberg.

What really stands out to me is how mature his game is. It's hard to explain, but when I watch him...he almost looks like a pro player trapped in a kid's body. He plays a smart man's game. He's the kind of player Mike Babcock adores: all the skill in the world plus a blue-collar ethos. He's not really what you'd call an elite two-way player, but I think he has the potential to be a Delta Force Swiss Army Knife Ninja Jedi Operator who can be counted on to do a ton of heavy lifting and consistently win power-versus-power matchups.

My only concern lies with the skating. It's not bad, but he needs to generate more power in his strides and in his first steps. If he's to continue playing an effective Larkin-esque game at higher levels, he has to get more out of his legs, IMO.

tl;dr Not sure I'd take him 3rd overall (especially if I'm the Wings), but, all things considered, he's as tantalizing as anyone not named Hughes or Kakko.

Edited by Dabura

On 1/28/2019 at 8:08 AM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Thanks for sharing this. The Wings will be picking no lower than 4th so these nhl.com noobs can get bent! 

To be fair, I think they were just going on what the standings were at the time. :)

On 1/28/2019 at 8:06 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Dabura's Corner, brought to you by Miller High Life.

Put me in, coach! I'm ready to be a pundit! :w00t2:

10 hours ago, Dabura said:

Sorry for the delay. Real life has been hectic this week. BUT IT'S OK NOW! I'M BACK TO SATIATE YOUR RAVENOUS HUNGER FOR HACKFRAUD AMATEUR SCOUTING REPORTS! yayyyy

I think I'ma devote full posts to single players. Last time it was Kakko, this time it's Podkolzin, next time it'll be Cozens, and so on.

Right. So. Vasili Podkolzin.

It's fair to say Podkolzin has emerged as the midseason consensus #3...

• Bob Mckenzie ranks him third, based on a ten-scout survey
  • Craig Button ranks him third
  • Adam Kimelman, Mike G. Morreale, and Guillaume Lepage rank him third (or they simply believe the Kings should take him if they get the #3 pick)
  • Central Scouting ranks him second among international skaters, behind only Kakko

Do I think this level of HYPE! is justified? I don't think there's truly a clear-cut #3 guy at this point in time, so, in that sense, I would say the Podkolzin HYPE! is a bit much. I think he'd be a good pick at 3rd overall. I just don't feel he, or anyone else, should be considered THE #3 guy right now.

But make no mistake: there's a whole lot to love about Podkolzin.

Like Kakko, he's an all-around scoring winger with enormous upside. Lethal shooter from as far out as the tops of the circles, like Zadina. Willing to get dirty and crash the net, like Bertuzzi. Sophisticated, deliberate playmaker, like Larkin. Has a motor that's always going at 100%, like Larkin. Is a natural leader who leads by example, like Larkin. Plays in all situations and is leaned on in critical moments, like Larkin. Is committed to being a good all-around player, like Larkin. Ultra-competitive, will put everything he has into getting the job done, like Larkin. Very strong on his skates, like Larkin. Heavy on the puck and knows how to "lean on" guys in a checking context, like Zetterberg.

What really stands out to me is how mature his game is. It's hard to explain, but when I watch him...he almost looks like a pro player trapped in a kid's body. He plays a smart man's game. He's the kind of player Mike Babcock adores: all the skill in the world plus a blue-collar ethos. He's not really what you'd call an elite two-way player, but I think he has the potential to be a Delta Force Swiss Army Knife Ninja Jedi Operator who can be counted on to do a ton of heavy lifting and consistently win power-versus-power matchups.

My only concern lies with the skating. It's not bad, but he needs to generate more power in his strides and in his first steps. If he's to continue playing an effective Larkin-esque game at higher levels, he has to get more out of his legs, IMO.

tl;dr Not sure I'd take him 3rd overall (especially if I'm the Wings), but, all things considered, he's as tantalizing as anyone not named Hughes or Kakko.

And when you're feeling like something better than beer, reach for a Miller High Life, the champagne of beers.

Welcome back, readers.  Now we review pick #4...

56 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Are we taking a right-handed centerman this draft (Dach, Cozens, or Lavoie)?

Lavoie CAN  play center, but doesn't.  Plus most draft boards have him ranked pretty far below where we should be drafting.  So I doubt it.  The more I'm reading about Cozens, the more it sounds like some scouts don't think he'll play center in the NHL.  If that's true, I'd stay away from him too (thought I'm not sure if it is).  If I'm the Wings' management, I'd probably target Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Newhook, Turcotte (in that order) if we want a center.  If the Wings think Cozens WILL play center in the NHL, then he jumps to the top of that list. 

Edited by kipwinger

30 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lavoie CAN  play center, but doesn't.  Plus most draft boards have him ranked pretty far below where we should be drafting.  So I doubt it.  The more I'm reading about Cozens, the more it sounds like some scouts don't think he'll play center in the NHL.  If that's true, I'd say away from him too (thought I'm not sure if it is).  If I'm the Wings' management, I'd probably target Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Newhook, Turcotte (in that order) if we want a center.  If the Wings think Cozens WILL play center in the NHL, then he jumps to the top of that list. 

I'd still go with best player available, unless it's a situation where we think we can trade back, still get our guy, plus add other assets. I think we're in need of a top six right-handed winger as much as we're in need of a top six center. Of course, I don't see center as much of a glaring issue as you, and I also know that you don't put as much stock into handedness as I do. I'd consider trading back if we ended up in the 2 slot. If a team a spot or two behind us in the draft are willing to pay a premium to get Kakko, I'd be more than happy with Cozens plus another late 1st, early 2nd, or top prospect.