• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HoweFan

2019 Draft

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Size. 5'7", 160lbs soaking wet.

That, and he's played on Jack Hughes's wing. I dunno that the Hughes factor should count against him, but I suppose it's something you have to consider.

The DeBrincat comparison is a really easy one to make...and I buy it. Similar players.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If we win the draft lottery and the Aves end up with pick 3 and pick 10, would anyone consider trading the number 1 overall for their two top 10 picks? eg: Would you trade Jack Hughes for Trevor Zegras / Dylan Cozens and Bowen Byram?

Nah.

Hughes is more or less the best prospect an organization could ever hope to get. I'm not trading that for 3rd overall and 10th overall. I'm certainly not doing it for the f***ing Avalanche.

22 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Nah.

Hughes is more or less the best prospect an organization could ever hope to get. I'm not trading that for 3rd overall and 10th overall. I'm certainly not doing it for the f***ing Avalanche.

That's fair. However, it's more likely that the Aves are picking 1st overall and we're picking 3rd overall (or later) anyway. So imagine if the balls did fall our way, making that trade, picking whoever we would have picked 3rd overall, and also picking up another stud in the top 10.

I agree that Hughes is our best chance at a franchise changing player, but maybe there's a Petersson to be had in the 3-5 range. Maybe there's another stud to be had in the 8-12 range. I'm not necessarily saying that I'd pull the trigger on such a trade, but you'd at least have to think about it, wouldn't you?

I know kip is really high on Zegras, and I've been really high on Cozens for the past year or so. Byram looks like he could be an absolute stud. Like kip said, adding two of those pieces could put us closer to Cup contention than Hughes alone...

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That's fair. However, it's more likely that the Aves are picking 1st overall and we're picking 3rd overall (or later) anyway. So imagine if the balls did fall our way, making that trade, picking whoever we would have picked 3rd overall, and also picking up another stud in the top 10.

I agree that Hughes is our best chance at a franchise changing player, but maybe there's a Petersson to be had in the 3-5 range. Maybe there's another stud to be had in the 8-12 range. I'm not necessarily saying that I'd pull the trigger on such a trade, but you'd at least have to think about it, wouldn't you?

I know kip is really high on Zegras, and I've been really high on Cozens for the past year or so. Byram looks like he could be an absolute stud. Like kip said, adding two of those pieces could put us closer to Cup contention than Hughes alone...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's entirely possible that 3rd + 10th gets you two franchise players. But I think it's equally likely -- if not more likely -- that it gets you Pierre-Luc Dubois and Tyson Jost (3rd and 10th overall, respectively, in the 2016 draft).

Hughes is about as close to being a sure-thing superstar as it gets and I just don't believe any organization should pass up the opportunity to get a player like that for free, unless they get an absolutely incredible offer. I'm talking, like, Kakko + Draisaitl.

Edited by Dabura

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd take it a few steps further.  Because this is an unusually deep draft in the top ten picks, I'd make the trade and then consider trading back again for more picks.  Also, I'd trade the first overall pick for the 3rd overall and 10th overall pretty much every year sight unseen.  And if you look at the recent track record of drafts you'd almost always be better off for it.  Yeah you'd miss McDavid and Matthews, but look at the list of guys you'd have your pick of.  You'd have a WAY better team after like 5 years. 

4 hours ago, Dabura said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's entirely possible that 3rd + 10th gets you two franchise players. But I think it's equally likely -- if not more likely -- that it gets you Pierre-Luc Dubois and Tyson Jost (3rd and 10th overall, respectively, in the 2016 draft).

Hughes is about as close to being a sure-thing superstar as it gets and I just don't believe any organization should pass up the opportunity to get a player like that for free, unless they get an absolutely incredible offer. I'm talking, like, Kakko + Draisaitl.

I agree with you, but it's also entirely possible, admittedly unlikely, that Hughes ends up a Nugent-Hopkins, and Zegras and Byram end up a Dubois and Sergachev. I'd take the latter in that situation, as I'm sure you would as well. Again, not saying this is the likely scenario, and I agree that Hughes is the closest thing to a sure fire superstar, but no matter how much scouting has improved, the draft is still a bit of a crap shoot, and two top 10 picks could be a homerun.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree with you, but it's also entirely possible, admittedly unlikely, that Hughes ends up a Nugent-Hopkins, and Zegras and Byram end up a Dubois and Sergachev. I'd take the latter in that situation, as I'm sure you would as well. Again, not saying this is the likely scenario, and I agree that Hughes is the closest thing to a sure fire superstar, but no matter how much scouting has improved, the draft is still a bit of a crap shoot, and two top 10 picks could be a homerun.

If we get the #1 pick, there is 100% chance it is used on taking Jack Hughes.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't disagree, and if when we do, I would will be doing cartwheels...

You said the same thing this time last year about Dahlin. We're finishing 3rd last (maybe even 4th last) and drafting 6th my maritime friend. Book it. 

16 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

You said the same thing this time last year about Dahlin. We're finishing 3rd last (maybe even 4th last) and drafting 6th my maritime friend. Book it. 

And I'll say it every year until we land that number one overall pick... We WILL pick top 5 this year though. Guaranf***ingteed!

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Y'all need Jesus. smh. 3rd + 10th for Jack Hughes doesn't even get the conversation started for me. I hang up the phone.

If I'm gonna have regrets related to Jack Hughes, I wanna regret that I took the projected superstar, not that I passed up the opportunity to take that player. That goes for any other similarly top-tier prospect, e.g. Auston Matthews in his draft year.

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

Y'all need Jesus. smh. 3rd + 10th for Jack Hughes doesn't even get the conversation started for me. I hang up the phone.

If I'm gonna have regrets related to Jack Hughes, I wanna regret that I took the projected superstar, not that I passed up the opportunity to take that player. That goes for any other similarly top-tier prospect, e.g. Auston Matthews in his draft year.

The difference for me is that I don't think Hughes is a Matthews like prospect.  You do.  I think it's more likely that he's a Clayton Keller type than an Auston Matthews type. 

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

What if your scouts project Jack Hughes to be a Patrick Kane, Dylan Cozens to be a Jack Eichel and Bowen Byram to be a Morgan Rielly?... :ninja:

16 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Now you're just talkin' outta your ass...

Nah. Kane's put up 100 points this season on a weak team and he isn't even in his prime. He's been a driving force behind three championship runs. Players of his caliber are nearly impossible to find.

I suppose your question isn't quite as clear as it could be. When you say, "...could be a Kane/Eichel/Rielly," are you saying they'll be as good as those players? Or are you merely saying their playing styles will be similar?

13 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

You never go Kane. Never.

They see me Kanin'. They hatin'.

Edited by Dabura

41 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Nah. Kane's put up 100 points this season on a weak team and he isn't even in his prime. He's been a driving force behind three championship runs. Players of his caliber are nearly impossible to find.

I suppose your question isn't quite as clear as it could be. When you say, "...could be a Kane/Eichel/Rielly," are you saying they'll be as good as those players? Or are you merely saying their playing styles will be similar?

They see me Kanin'. They hatin'.

I'm saying hypothetically, they end up exactly like those players. I take the 80-90ish point center AND the 60-70ish point defenseman over the 90-100ish point winger. 

I’m more bullish on Zegras than Cozens. What if the hypothetical is Hughes= Kane and Zegras=Datsyuk? If your scouts give those comparisons then you absolutely do the trade. However they would have to sweeten the pot with a prospect or 2020 1st. Your negotiating from a position of strength with a prospect like Hughes coming out so don’t sell yourself short. 

23 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm saying hypothetically, they end up exactly like those players. I take the 80-90ish point center AND the 60-70ish point defenseman over the 90-100ish point winger. 

Fair enough. I doubt that's the choice we'd be looking at, though. I think you guys are overthinking this.

Offer me Kakko and an established young stud and I'll listen. 3rd and 10th? Meh. That's some team attempting to swindle you. In this case, that team is the Avs, who can f*** right off with their get-rich-quick schemes.